Menu Monday - I'm So Late!


I know I'm terribly late and I've got no good excuse, except letting time slip away.  We were tired after our long weekend, a great weekend, but long, and I sat down to dream of the past via old photos and history sites and next thing I knew I was delving into family lines and got excited about my findings.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  Afraid I enjoyed it so much that I got up this morning and went at it again.  I'd meant to do other things.  I did look over the household lists for the month (we won't discuss those, okay?) and my goals list for the month (no talking about that one either).

For all that wasting time having fun, I did plan meals for the first part of the week or so...

Monday:  Barbecued Beef Ribs, Potatoes Au Gratin, Slaw, Strawberry Shortcake
We bought these ribs at the meat market and boy were they good!  Next time I'll probably put them in the crock pot to tenderize them still more, but oh boy was my homemade Bbq sauce good.  Really enjoyed that.  The shortcake was leftovers from our Oneg dinner dessert.  That was pretty tasty too.  I didn't make a shortcake proper but a yellow butter cake, the same recipe used for our birthday cakes last month.




Tuesday:  Crock Pot Chicken, Noodles Alfredo, Roasted Asparagus, Snickerdoodle Bars
I seasoned my chicken in a different way than usual: a bit of sherry, a bit of powdered chicken broth and dehydrated onions and bayleaf.  That chicken smelt so good cooking.  I bought it too at the meat market but must say that is one item I'll likely reserve to buy at my usual grocery when it goes on sale.  I didn't notice a huge difference in the flavor of the meat as I did with the beef items we bought.
I set aside some of the asparagus for a quiche and then saved the bones/broth for later rendering as broth.  The Snickerdoodle bars were made from this recipe here:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/snickerdoodle-bars/e2fc99ee-d389-434d-98e9-73bbf2527053

I liked this recipe very well and will save it to make again.  I am in the midst of finding new cookie recipes to build up a repertoire of recipes to choose from.

Wednesday:  Leftovers:  Beef Stew with Au gratin Potatoes, Lettuce and Tomato Salad

Thursday:  Quiche, Hash Brown potatoes, Pineapple Salad
I keep putting quiche on my menu and frankly, I keep putting off making it.  My biggest quarrel?  It makes too much.  I've decided to attempt to half the recipe using my smallest pie dish. That will mean fewer leftovers for me to have on hand.


Friday:  Not sure...plans are to bring Mama home that day. No idea what time we'll get out of there or how long to get her settled.

Saturday:  Fancy Pants Burgers, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Muffins
Before it gets too warm I want to make this hearty dish.  It's two thin burgers, a slice of cheese sealed between them, with a can of tomato sauce over the top.  This recipe dates from the early 1950's and was a Hunt's advertising recipe featured in many magazines at that time.  I like it really well and have been making it nearly 25 years myself.

I'll make a regular sized batch of muffins, cook a couple plain and add fruit or berries to the rest to make flavored muffins for breakfast.

Sunday:  Chicken Taco Salad Fresca, Molten Mocha Cinnamon Lava Cake
The chicken is cooked and in the freezer, just need to thaw and seasonI'm going to play with that Molten Lava Cake recipe and jazz it up.

No comments: