What I Read/Watched in May

May was a lovely month, truly it was.  I so enjoyed every moment of it.  We were blessed to attend a young girl's homeschool graduation party which was just lovely, went on field trips and picnics and vacation on top of that.  All of this and the regular work, too.  I don't think I've had such a lovely May before.  This one sets itself apart as special.

I was able to read a few books this month.  Some I started in April and didn't finish until this month, so I count them as read this month.  I watched a few movies, too.

First, those books started in April and finished in May:

  Year of Plenty by Craig L. Goodwin -   I've been drawn to books about families/individuals who are returning to the 'old way' of raising their own vegetables, forage etc.  That's what I expected from this book.  It is based upon the blog by the same name.  This is the third sort of book I've read this year. 

While this book is named after the blog, the basis is loose.  It is more about the Christian walk that this pastor and his family experienced while eating and shopping locally.  Some of the insights he gained really really touched my heart and helped me to see what is missing in my own Christian walk, like a sense of community and unity with others.  I read this book slowly.  I needed to, in order to digest all that was said.  Often I found myself reading passages out loud to John because they so closely paralleled what we were thinking and praying over.

If you want to read all about the technicalities of eating locally and shopping local artisans and businesses, gardening and raising chickens, then skip this book and read the blog.  www.yearofplenty.org  If you want to read a book that enhances your Christian walk and talks about these things then by all means choose to read it.


Good Housekeeping's  book on The Business of Housekeeping by Mildred Maddocks Bentley - This book was printed in 1924.  For the sake of mere antique value it was bound to be an interesting read anyway, but for practical advice it is still spot on.  Granted the idea of hiring a maid or two to help with housework for a low to middle income is no longer a viable one, and there are so many labor saving devices these days that it's hardly necessary.  But good housekeeping is good housekeeping.  Some of the formulas for homemade cleaners would no doubt work today, though I might skip on the homemade dry cleaning made with gasoline.   

Re-Creations by Grace Livingston Hill  - I began this book to offset the deep thinking going on while reading the above book.  As it was, I found myself needing more time to digest than I'd anticipated so I read less overall.  This is one of my favorite Hill books.  Cornelia has been away at college studying to be an interior designer and is called home suddenly to take her mother's place while her mother recovers in a sanatorium.  How she makes her way through her resentment and makes a derelict old house into a home that ministers to her siblings and others is the basis of this story.  I love it for the description of the transformation of home and family.

The Shining Years by Emilie Loring - This was one of the books in that sack Mama handed me last month.  I had not read this one before and deeply enjoyed it.  All of Loring's books are mystery romances.  This delivers on both scores.  A young author burns with resentment after her manuscript is returned.  Then she discovers the editor's family home featured in a magazine...as do six others who all converge at once upon the Folly and forever change the life of the editor.



The Borrowers by Mary Norton - Sometimes it's good to return to a childhood favorite and read it once more.  I well remember discovering this book in the school library and being drawn into the story.  It was no different this time.  I adore this little book and deeply enjoyed it.  I did wonder if today's children would find it worthy of reading and noted that many articles they 'borrowed' in the book were things I recognized, but wondered if today's children would.  Of course, the story continues in a contemporary form in the movie "Arriety" and the popular cartoon series "The Littles".

Movies:

"Leap Year"  (2010) Amy Adams - Nothing earthshattering with this film but it's a nice romantic comedy with a few laugh out loud moments and a few that resonate with honesty.  Anna Brady travels to Dublin to ask her surgeon boyfriend to marry her.  Along the way she has a series of fateful occurences that leads her to her own true love.

"Downton Abby" disc three season 1 - Well!  I am smitten and love this series as much as every one who reviewed it so glowingly before I finally started it.  I have Season 2 on my queue and I hear that Shirley Maclaine will star in Season 3...just to give a head's up.



"The Nun's Story" (1959) Audrey Hepburn - This was an unexpected film.  John had been flipping about channels one afternoon and we both settled to watch.  It was absorbing and I think we both identified with Sister Luke's struggles to submit her desires to God's will and the rather surprising conclusion.  If you have a chance to see this one, I recommend it highly.   

"The Avengers" 2012 - I was surprised to be going to the movies with John period.  I was even more surprised to find this movie totally engrossing, with a decided Christian view and free of foul language and sexual innuendo.  Very good and worth seeing.

2 comments:

Art and Sand said...

When I was in my early teens, I remember my mother reading Emily Loring books and then she let my sister and me read them. I recall admiring the strong women main characters.

Craig said...

Glad you enjoyed reading Year of Plenty. Thanks for sharing your story on this blog.
All the best.
- Craig Goodwin

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage