Molten Lava Cake - Two Ways

This is not my photo but one I found on the web.  There was no source named...

Molten Lava Cake - Older                        Molten Lava Cake -New 
                                                                                         

1/3 cup butter                                                                    4 tbsps butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips                                  1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips(or semi)
1/2 cup sugar                                                                     2 tbsps sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour                                                      1 tbsp all purpose flour
2 eggs                                                                                 l lg. egg plus 1 egg yolk



Preheat oven to 400F.  This is where I made a change in the newer recipe.  It said 450F.  I decided that would cook the cakes too done to suit me.  Stick with the 400F oven.

Grease and flour ramekins.  Old recipe called for four 1/2 cup.  New recipe says it makes two.  I managed three nicely.

Both recipes agree on this method of mixing:  Melt butter and chocolate in twenty second increments until melted and will blend smoothly.  By hand or with  mixer (I like to use the whisk), add in sugar, flour and egg(s), beating until well mixed.  Pour into ramekins.

I baked mine for 14 minutes exactly.

The old recipe is delicious and the original cause of my addiction to Molten Lava cake.  I have no complaints with this recipe.  It turns out perfectly every single time.

The newer recipe is delicious too and can be equally as addictive.  I will note that the middle is most definitely more molten than the other cake when cooked at the 400F temperature.  Perhaps because of the decreased flour?  I used two whole eggs in it as I didn't want to bother with the whole separating egg white and yolk thing. I think my family preferred this one because of the decreased sugar which is understandable since they like to eat semi-sweet chocolate chips straight from the bag and the newer recipe does not mask that slightly bitter taste of the semi sweet chips.  If you're used to a sweeter chocolate, you might prefer the flavor of the first recipe.

 I do warn you that whichever recipe you choose you can NOT eat two of these.  Believe me.  It's too rich and too decadent and you'll feel quite ill afterwards.  Don't ask me how I know, okay?  Just saying it's so.

Allow the ramekins to cool slightly, perhaps 5-8 minutes, run a knife carefully around edge and invert onto plate (or simply place the ramekin on a doily on the plate.  Dust top with cocoa powder or confectioner's sugar, serve with fresh red berries or fresh mint.

I usually serve right in the ramekin with a dollop of whipped cream on top if I'm feeling fancy. 

Both recipes agree that the batter may be made ahead, poured into the prepared ramekins and baked a day later if you prefer.  Allow the ramekins and the contents to come up to room temperature before baking.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yum! Know what we are having for dessert... wish I had some heavy cream! Angela

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder