This Week's Meals

Another week is gone and that means we're one week closer to both Christmas and the end of the year.  Yikes!  We'll be singing "For Auld Lang Syne" before we know it!

I sat down last night and began to try and plan meals for the holiday season starting with weekend before Christmas which is when I expect my family to come if they can make it at all.  I've got a couple of meals planned out but need to work on the rest of them.  For the most part I'm planning to make and freeze and then thaw and heat that weekend.  It seems the best way to manage company and holiday moods and food to me.

In the meantime, it occurred to me last night after I'd gone to bed, that I'd been better prepared if I'd planned this week's meals first and then taken something out to thaw.  Oh. My.  Well I wasn't getting out of bed once I'd hopped in, so I waited until this morning.  That worked out the best anyway, since John came in, got called out to go back to work and I was home alone all morning long to do housework and make plans.



Parmesan Crusted Chicken, Potato Salad, Steamed Broccoli
I've made this in the past with mayonnaise but followed a Pinterest recipe that called for Greek yogurt (using my own homemade yogurt).  I liked it much better I think but it did stick to the pan a good bit more than the other.  I used pan spray but just a heads up if you try this recipe: it sticks.    I certainly was glad when John finally got home and we could have a meal.

Pot Roast with Vegetables, Squash Casserole, Biscuits
My roast is very small, just about 1 pound or so, making it perfect for us and perhaps a sandwich for John's work lunch.  The biscuits will be welcome with jelly for a dessert and the leftovers can be toasted for breakfast (or my supper).

Turkey and Rice Soup, Grilled Pimento and Cheese, Chocolate Pudding
I made a batch of broth from our Thanksgiving turkey breast. We'll want a lighter meal today after two days of heavy meals, I think.  The budget wants a lighter one too, lol.  This meal is supposed to coincide with the return of cooler weather.  Fingers crossed!

Steak, Baked Potato, Salad with Blue Cheese dressing
This is actually a dinner out for us but it's all home cooked food.  Yum.

Red Beans and Rice, Orange and Onion Salad, Corn bread
All I have to cook is the rice and the bread.  The beans are frozen leftovers, just enough for two.

Sweet and Spicy Wings, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Coleslaw
I'll make my own sauce for the wings, a combination of a homemade bbq sauce and honey and hot sauce.  It's so good and only gets better as it bakes.

Homemade Lasagna, Green Salad, Garlic Bread, Easy Tiramisu for Two
Meat and sauce are in the freezer, I'll just layer cheeses and noodles to make the dish and prepare it ahead, same for the salad, and dessert.  I'll just slide lasagna in the oven that morning and then add garlic bread later.  

1 comment:

Karla said...

I'd be interested in hearing your method of reheating frozen precioked meals. Microwave? Also what is the best way you freeze pre-cooked beans? Never tried that!

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage