A Year of Savings: 2013

  

May 1:  I had buttermilk in the fridge that was nearing the 'best buy' date.  I poured into half cup containers and froze.  I saved out 1/2 cup, added 1 cup of milk and let sit at room temperature overnight.  Now I have 1 1/2 cups 'fresh' buttermilk.  The buttermilk cost me $2.49 for a half gallon.  My savings today: $3.29.

Made four meals at once.  Dinner for today, a quick to eat meal for tomorrow after shopping, and two meals for the freezer.  Skipping our usual shopping day meal saves $11.49 (we eat at the same place and get the same thing each grocery day).  Putting a convenience meal or two in the freezer used items already in the refrigerator.   A bag of bell peppers (savings $1.49), 1/3 pound portion of grilled sirloin (savings $3.99), 1/2 can turkey Spam (savings $1.25).


Colored my hair.  I used just 1/2 of the toner and dye (I keep a separate bottle just so I can do this).  Savings $3.60.

Washed a full load of dishes and a full load of clothes.  We set both machines to 'short' cycles.  Dishes and clothes were air dried.
May 2:  Rather than make two trips, we combined errands and grocery day.  We started by taking trash to the dump, stopped at the post office to mail a package.  

John wanted to make copies of photos and decided to stop at CVS.  I went to the kiosk to print off the free Hershey/M&M Mars coupon.  I was surprised that I also had a $5 coupon for any beauty product.  I'd wanted very much to purchase the Nichol OPI polish that was on sale ($7.99, $1 coupon, $2 ECB) but felt that the cost simply didn't go low enough to warrant the purchase.  With a $5 coupon, I could have the polish I wanted.  My out of pocket costs for polish and candy bar were $2.29 with a $2 ECB to use on future purchases.  Savings $7.

Lowe's was our next stop.  I wanted plants but was disappointed to find they were $9.98 for a 12 pack.  I thought I was going to have to cut my purchases short...until I discovered the 'dead plants' rack.  The plants are really dead.  In fact, the 12 packs I bought had 10-11 plants that were perfectly fine. The price difference was great though.  I got 3 12 packs for $4.98 each. Savings $14.94.  That was the cost of a bag of the premium potting mix I like.  

I wanted a trellis for my rose bush but didn't feel I could afford one at Lowe's this week.  Even the least expensive one was well above what I had to spend.  Sigh...Until I got to Aldi and discovered the lawn and garden sale in effect.  There was a trellis, exactly like one I'd seen at Lowe's.  It was $9.98.  Savings $20.

May 3:  No AC on today.  We opened windows and let the house air.                                              

Hemmed two pairs of jeans. I measured twice, cut once. Hemming isn't a problem, but cutting makes me nervous.

A few months ago I downloaded the Kindle app onto my computer.  This week I found a free book listing. 
I downloaded ten free books. Some of the books are full length, some are 'previews' of books, a few chapters.  Savings $40 for three full length books.

May 4:  We were off to synagogue this morning.  We stopped at DQ for the $5 special.  I think that is one of the best buys in the fast food industry just now.  Today we opted for hamburgers (they come with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickles), a small order of fries, medium drink, small sundae.  

Plans were to stop to 'look' at a couple of stores.  We missed the turn off on the interstate and found we were halfway home before we could turn back.  I guess we didn't need to 'look' or to spend either one.  There's a savings there, I'm sure of it, but who can calculate it? lol

Rainy, chilly, drear.  We came home and I decided we needed a heartier meal for supper.  I put a roast in the oven.  The warmth was appreciated as it knocked the chill off the house.  

May 5:  Another chilly, dreary day.  We fought for covers last night.  We dressed warmer today, and kept the heat off.

John washed and hung a load of clothes to dry.

I used leftover rice to make a pilaf to go with Chicken Kiev.  I could have bought a boxed mix for $2, but gracious there's nothing to making pilaf and it's so versatile.  I minced onion and celery, added garlic, raisins cooked in a bit of butter until the vegetables are tender, add in rice, a bit of cooking sherry (apple juice or white grape juice and a splosh of vinegar would work too, as would white wine) and heat through until the liquid is absorbed.  Just before serving add sliced almonds.  I think my pilaf cost about $.75 to make.  Savings $1.25.

 May 6:  Made sloppy joes from scratch.  A can of sauce runs around $2.29.  Making my own sloppy joe sauce  runs about $.50 and we had enough to serve four generous sandwiches. What's more, my sauce is full of vegetables (celery, onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and carrot).  It's good for you and tastes good, too.  Savings $1.79

May 7:  The plan was to mow the lawn.  We went into town and got gasoline and blades. Both items paid for from our 'house fund' money that we set aside each month for just such expenses. Savings: $38.00.

The cabbage stem end with a lone tiny root that  I planted a few weeks ago is doing pretty well.  There are three 'baby' cabbages forming on that stem end. I don't know if I'll be able to grow cabbage to maturity from it or not but it's fun to watch.

The weekend rains (3 inches) revived the pansies once more.  I'll have to find other pots to plant the things I brought home last week, I guess.  I'm reluctant to replace the pansies until they are well and truly done.
Total for week: $146.00

2 comments:

Louise said...

Can you share the link for the free kindle books please?? I have Kindle reader on my laptop AND my tablet and a nice supply of books but I am always on the lookout for more books. LOL I love to read most times.
I have two places I find books.. but Inspired Reads don't have freebies as often as they used to... http://www.inspiredreads.com/

The other place I find books is The BookBub.... you get daily email and can make your preference selection.. here is the link: http://www.bookbub.com/home/

I must say I look daily to see if you have updated your blog..

Karla said...

I was going to tell you about BookBub but I see Louise beat me to it. :) Not all of the books are free and many are "no thank you" reads for me but once in awhile there is a good find!