Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tried and True: Bess' Famous French Coconut Pie


This recipe has a story behind it...

My children and I love to cook...Well all except JD and he married Lori who loves to cook.  So they all love to cook and they all love to eat good food (JD included for sure on that one).  They all have partners who love good food and/or enjoy cooking, too.  So you'll understand that food is a mini test in our family.  You get a pass if you like to cook or appreciate eating good food.



When Samuel met Bess, she enjoyed eating and she appreciated food in all it's goodness. She told me when we met that she could cook if she had to, but preferred to eat what others cooked.  Good enough.  She wasn't picky about eating, she liked my son, she was honest.  I  could deal with that.

In late July, Katie invited us to dinner at her and her partner's  new apartment.  She included Sam and Bess.   We sort of coordinated what everyone was bringing...except Sam who said he just wanted to mooch off his sister.  Then Bess contacted me and asked if she should bring something.  I referred her to Katie, suggesting perhaps paper plates, disposable cups?  Was I ever in for a surprise.

Bess  showed up at Katie's bearing pies.  Coconut Pies.  Unbelievably delicious Coconut pies.  That she made herself and which wowed everyone there.  If simply enjoying food was enough to grant her entry into the family those pies shut the door behind her.  She was IN.

Well as things will go there was a break in Sam and Bess' relationship, which left us pretty sorry.  We liked Bess and we were genuinely sorry.  Just as bad, in our opinion, no one had gotten  Bess' pie recipe...Now don't think I'm telling tales out of school.  My son woke up one morning and realized he deeply missed Bess.   The first thing she shared when she moved in with Sam was her pie recipe. Whew!  That was a close loss on both scores, let me tell you!

A couple of weeks ago I was working about the kitchen, going back and forth to the back pantry and each time I'd come into the living room John would say, "I thought you were bringing me pie."  I laughed the first time and the second, too, but the third time, I was a little flustered.  "You know we have no pie."  "I know," he sighed. "I've made pies all summer, or cobblers, I want to make cakes."  "I like cobblers.  I like cake.  But wouldn't some of Bess' Coconut Pie be good?"  Well goodness gracious!  Who knew the man would pine after pie?

So I made him Bess' Famous Coconut Pie that weekend.  He was a happy man.  I halved the recipe as this makes two big deep pies. I used a ten inch pie plate which the deepest one I have in my cupboard.  Even a half recipe filled that pie plate right up.  I made my own pie crust, but if you're buying be sure to get the deep dish crusts.


Bess' Famous French Coconut Pie 

3 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 tbsp flour
6 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
8oz coconut (Bess used Baker's sweetened flake, I used the equivalent from Aldi)
1/8 tsp salt
2 deep dish pie shells

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, flour, and salt; mix. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and coconut. Mix all together. Pour into 2 unbaked pie shells. Cook on 325f degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.


So there you have it.  The best coconut pie I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. 

6 comments:

jan said...

Have to try this - I love coconut pie!!

Karla Neese said...

I think I just heard angels singing! I absolutely love coconut cream pie. It's my favorite pie on the planet! And I've yet to try it. Well, you can bet your sweet bippy (whatever a bippy is it's surely sweet), I'm trying this!

My daughter will also love you (and me) forever. Coconut cream is her favorite pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the wonderful story behind it!

Tammy said...

My Greg loves coconut pie so I'm definitely going to try this recipe next week. Yum!

Rhonda said...

I was wondering about the recipe for this pie that you have been talking so fondly about.
You know, all those ingredients could be cut in half easily if anyone wanted to just make 1 instead of 2 pies.
But maybe as delicious as they are, 2 is the route to go!

Anonymous said...

What a great story!!! One to tell the grandkids for sure!! Since we are a pie family this recipe will sure get tried. Thank you Very Much! And thai Bess too! :-) Sarah

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I have made it twice, and my family loves it! Thank you!