This Week In My Home: Good Habits Rather than Good Intentions




Here we are at the start of the last week of this month.  All of the things not done earlier this month, now press a bit harder upon me to be done.  Only so much shall, as we all know.  I can't make up in one week all that didn't get done in a month no matter how hard I work.  Frankly dears, I'm all about being productive, but I have never been obsessed about working.  I kind of have always had the idea that hard work and quiet work should balance one another.

I've set myself some new tasks this week, which I'll tell you all about shortly.  I am trying to change my mind set to DOING more and having fewer moments of good intentions with nothing to show at the end.   

In the meantime, planning meals and preparing food to get us through the week is the primary time saving tool in my arsenal of being work ready.  Otherwise I end up spending all my time in the kitchen.  I have begun to employ one help for saving time, though it's not always possible to fully implement.  That is to rinse and stack dishes and only spend time once a day loading into dishwasher and hand washing.  It's amazing how much time that one small change made this past week.  

And let me just say that meals last week may vaguely resemble those planned for last week.  Things changed.  Monday or Tuesday we made plans for weekend company and Friday, after meal prep, the company  changed their plans.  So if some ingredients of meals appear similar to meals planned last week...well now you know why.

Well, let's get on to meals shall we?  


Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, Broccoli, Fresh Tomatoes with Salt, Pepper, & Basil and Rolls
I have made this casserole many times.  While most recipes online include a drained can of French Cut Green Beans, I have never made it with the beans in.  I used the last of the wild rice I'd purchased in bulk last summer.  I will buy this again, as it's a nice blend of brown and wild rice, and several other nutty grains.  I didn't have quite a full cup and made up the difference in jasmine rice which did no harm.  

(recipe:To 3 cups of cooked rice, add 1 can condensed soup (I used mushroom which is what I had in the freezer); 1 cup mayonnaise; 2-3 cups chicken pieces; 1/4 of a large onion, minced; 1 tsp minced garlic; 2 tbsp dried parsley; salt and pepper to taste.  This makes a 13 x 9 pan.  You can divide into smaller portions and freeze to thaw and bake later.  Bake at 350F until hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes if at room temperature, longer if cold.  Top with shredded Cheddar before baking.)

Chicken Spaghetti, Green Beans, Salad, Garlic Bread
I'll use leftover chicken, some of the mushrooms from last week to make this easy pasta casserole.  I'll divide and freeze a portion for a future meal.

Sloppy Joes, Corn On the Cob, Coleslaw
I'll serve the Sloppy Joe mix on hot dog buns.  Since I add lots of vegetables to my meat mixture, I feel 1/2 pound is more than sufficient.  I expect I'll have leftovers for another sandwich or two.

out with Mama

 BBQ Pot Roast with Root Vegetables,  Butter Beans, Pear Salad, Corn Muffins
The weather is supposed to be a little cool this week, I found a small portion of Chuck Roast in my freezer this week while I was digging about.  I thought perhaps I'd have one last roast meal before it's truly hot.   

Cheesy Kielbasa and Potatoes, Carrot Raisin Salad, Rolls
I love this casserole and have had it in my mind for a couple of weeks or so.  It's simply potatoes Au gratin with the addition of layering in sliced Kielbasa and English Peas

Corn Chowder, BLTs, Berries
Fresh corn is coming into market here from Florida.  I know it must sound super exotic to those of you still dealing with Spring snows, but it's fact.  I've seen some beautiful ears and I'm ready to indulge.  Since it is generally sold five ears to a pack, I'll go ahead and roast it all at once, and use three ears to make the chowder.


Jobs This Week

Last week:  Last week I finally got myself in gear and accomplished quite a few extra jobs.  The floors were mopped.  The guest room was freshened and then readied for guests.  I worked on the rose bed a bit and got it lined nicely with brick.  I cleaned the front porch and the back porch.  Neither are season ready but each were cleaned, furniture wiped down, floors swept hard.  I got things tagged for the booth and delivered and set up.  And I prepared for company times two.  It was a week!

This week:  It's Harvest and Grocery week.
I need to clean and refresh the guest room.
Finish my book and post a review.
Get my kitchen window curtain made...I have a new sewing machine coming sometime this week.
Choose my next lot of items for the booth.
Work on another Retirement Remedy post with fresh outfits.
Brainstorming/ Frugal Boot Camp continues.

1 comment:

Angela said...

It sounds like you got a lot done last week! Angela