Questions, Answers and Comments, Oh My!

If the comments from myself this month seem a bit sketchy it's because I am literally skimming and answering only those that asked a question or required a quick update.  I'm starting this late in the evening and I'd like to finish it just in case time flies away from me once again.

From last month's Q&AJulie Baker  I hope all goes well with your granddaughter.  It's certainly been a change of pace to have an almost 2 year old in the house, lol.  He's apparently determined that he really might not need a daily nap, but boy does his mama and I need him to take one, lol.

May I?  Sarah  I crumpled aluminum foil and made ring of it a little smaller than the width of the chicken.  It didn't take as much as you'd expect it might to make the foil ring.  I then put the chicken on top of the foil, so it was lifted up from the bottom of the crock pot.  I find that chicken really does require more salt than most meats, but the Mrs. Dash seasonings are good salt substitutes to add flavor.  Montreal Chicken Seasoning (McCormack product) is also good.  I personally add a lemon or onion or apple to the chicken cavity, season heavily with salt and pepper and maybe a little bit of garlic and find that it works well to season the meat.

Susie@Persimmon Moon Cottage also had this to share about seasoning chicken:
A little note to Sarah - A couple of years ago we were just tired of eating chicken. It was seeming dull to us. I decided to experiment with some different seasonings and discovered that we really like it with salt, a little black pepper, a little sprinkling of onion powder, and (this was the new to me seasoning), curry powder. I had never had curry powder until then and thought it was just a single seasoning, like garlic, or pepper. The curry powder is a mixture of several different seasonings, coriander, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, bay leaves, celery seed, nutmeg, cloves, onion, red pepper, and ginger. I use McCormick brand. Even though it lists red pepper in the ingredients, I have never felt the heat of it, and I don't notice a specific cloves flavor. I am not a fan of spicy, tongue burning seasonings. Somehow, the scent of the curry seems much stronger than the flavor after it is cooked. I use the curry powder very sparingly, because I believe it could become overwhelming To me it has made a big difference in the flavor of baked/roasted chicken. Embarrassing to admit, but I used to mostly only like the baked chicken skin, where the flavor was. Now with different seasoning it all tastes good to me.


and Lana added this note:  mix 2 tablespoons oil with 2 teaspoons each of rosemary, oregano, minced garlic and salt. Rub over the chicken and then crockpot for 6 hours on low. (That is the time for my crockpot but it is pretty hot. You may need high if yours cooks cooler.) Or in the oven at 350 for 1 1/2-2 hours. I think it is better from the crockpot. I have been using this recipe for 20 years and it is always good.

One of Christopher Kimball's cookbooks (bowtie guy on America's Test Kitchen) says that the reason people like to eat out so much is that restaurants are not afraid to use enough salt. So, enough salt is often the key.


Rose (Sparkiedoll) shared this concerning ways to use up yogurt: 
https://franarexic.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/three-uses-for-expired-yogurt/

I have used yogurt to cool sun burned skin before, it's very soothing but messy - and it wasn't 'turned'. A elderly Greek lady told me to try it as it was a cheap, natural product. I don't think I've let myself get sunburned since though.

You can also smear old yoghurt over new terracotta plant pots and it encourages algae growth so the pots quickly develop a more aged, vintage look, if that's your look. I've seen that done on a TV garden design program but haven't done it myself.


But honestly, I probably would have thrown it away too, much as I hate waste.


Twin tails:  I'll have to look at Dollar Tree.  It's not local to me but there is one within 30 miles.  Dollar General has a variety of cards but it's a bit hit and miss.  I picked up cards for all my birthday family members (5 week period has 9 birthdays) since I knew I'd never have time to make cards this month.

Karla, Sam worked up a good hard sweat putting those screens in.  I suspect if you determined to do them one at a time they'd get done just the same but he did say that the more he did the easier they became.  Just something to think about.

No Pain No Gain  Lana shared this easy recipe for pizza dough.  I do have Sam's recipe and a couple of photos he asked me to take so you'd know what the dough should be doing in each step...but until I get that done, this recipe sounds easy.

Combine 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. sugar. Add 1 Tablespoon yeast and stir until dissolved. Add 2 Tablespoons oil and 2 1/2 cups bread flour or all purpose but bread flour makes a difference. Beat well with a spoon for 20 strokes. Cover with a towel and let rise for 15 minutes. I make a 14 inch pizza with this. Bake at 375 on a stone or 400 on a pan for 16-18 minutes. Even easier to throw everything in the bread machine and let it do the dough cycle. I have made this dough for about 30 years.

If You Can't Say Something Nice...  Just wanted to add that Maddie is doing very well now and has an apparently blissfully short memory of anything bad.  I should be more like her!  Imagine how much less bitterness and hurt we might experience if we could just forget it as she's done.

Balancing Act   Louise shared this tip for making coffee less acidic.  I happen to know it works because I used it!
Try this for coffee making stomach yucky.. it really works...http://lifehacker.com/5680565/add-baking-soda-to-make-acidic-coffee-stomach-friendly

Debbie joined in with her frugal activities. Her blog is worth exploring!

Judy (Sew Blessed Mama) Sam's pizza dough recipe is coming up here this month.  I need to take a few more photos next time he makes a pizza and then I'll be ready to post it.

May 14 Weekend Reading Lana shared this link for a gallery wall printable:
Sharing a link of a printable gallery wall-http://emilyaclark.com/2016/05/a-free-ready-to-print-gallery-wall.html

New Beginnings  I shared my thoughts about sharing our home.  It's going very well indeed and I mean that.  The real stretching for me hasn't been housework or messes.  Everyone chips in and picks up and cleans and cooks.  The real stretch has been the long lengths of time I must go without being alone for more than a few minutes.  I promise you all that your prayers are appreciated and I ask that you continue to pray for me.  Quiet time in the first morning hour helps a lot but by day's end I feel stretched out of shape! lol. 

General Tso Chicken  Lake Livin' shared this link for making your own sauce rather than use a purchased one:  Just as an FYI - I try to avoid purchasing pre-made mixes when possible, so I was curious if one could easily make their own General Tsao's sauce. I found this recipe. It is simple and all ingredients are always in my pantry except the rice wine.
http://www.food.com/recipe/general-tsos-sauce-211362

Spring Projects Outdoors  Susie@Persimmon Moon Cottage  I haven't even thought about how to deal with the baskets in high winds...Something to consider.  I suppose I could anchor them to the chairs and the chairs to the railings for that matter. 

Sparky136 shared this and I thought I'd pass it on:  There is a product called Wet It and Forget it the may help with your mildew problem. You just spray it on and the wind and and rain does the rest, you can find it at Lowes or on Amazon on line. It has great reviews.

Lana shared this:  I have come to the conclusion that mildew will not grow on flat paint. We painted our deck railings with it last summer and in spite of an over amount of rain since then we have no mildew. We also painted our bathroom ceiling with fast paint and it has remained mildew free for two years and we were constantly battling it there.

As I said I know this is shorter than usual but I did truly try to press it into a constricted time frame so forgive me if I didn't comment or mention something one of you shared.  I read all the comments, every single one that comes through and I so appreciate your taking time to read and to share your thoughts or appreciation.  It means a great deal to me.  Now, I'm off to bed and perhaps tomorrow I can work up a post about the Indoor Projects I managed during Spring.

4 comments:

Lana said...

That was FLAT paint on our bathroom ceiling! not fast! I think we need to flat paint our screen porch ceiling too as it is a problem constantly. And I could do blue!

Stretched out of shape is a good way to describe how you feel by the end of the day! I feel that way when I don't get a break too. Praying now!

Anonymous said...

Your comment about not getting any alone time sounds like me ..still. I was used to being home alone till Hubby's retirement. I really need some quiet time alone. Remember I have mentioned how him being here 24/7 left me no alone time? It is still the same. I can't even seem to get out and go shopping alone. So when every couple months when I get a half hour alone it feels so sweet! :-)))) With a small house you are always bumping into the other one. We have no den or extra room to hang out in to read or be quiet when the tv is on. Such is life and you have to make allowances and just get on with it. :-))
I don't think young parents have any idea how fast those sweet baby years will go. All too soon they are saying goodbye as they head out the door to their own first home! Then it seems like only a few moments then you are a grandmother and the cycle starts over again... !! The years are filled with such activity and jammed packed with projects and learning within the walls of our homes. Then they screech to a halt and they are gone from it. But oh the memories!!!!!!! Sarah

Debbie said...

Thanks for mentioning me and including a link to my blog. You are so very sweet! I loved reading the comments you included in this post and exploring the links too!

Anonymous said...

That is the same pizza dough recipe that I got from a teacher about 30 years ago to. We like our pizza with hamburger, sauce, lots of onions and cheese. Several years ago a young friend gave me a beautiful bunch of hydrangea she had dried. They turned to a lovely shade of aqua. I had them for several years until I threw them because they were very dusty. Glad you got to see the grands. Gramna D

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage