This Week In My Home: Happy Days

 In my home this week:

...I had a week full of grandchildren this past week and this grandmother's heart is happy.   Of the nine grandchildren, I talked to one via text, and visited with 5 others.  All in all, a rare week and a very happy one.  This week will be a happy one as well.  Those of you who shared with me how very much you've enjoyed having your grandchild or grandchildren living with you.  Well I'm finding Josh just such a joy in my life.  Daily he does something to amuse me or tug at my heart strings in some way.   Oh how I wish I had this opportunity with all, but just possibly not all at the same time!

My oldest son confessed his concern that a home task might keep him from visiting this past week.  And we weren't just certain if all three children would come with him, since in the past he felt overwhelmed with all three.  Happily my son finished his task enough to leave it behind and came with all three children.  The house exploded.  Honestly, it's been since I've had grandchildren that I realized that my home is a small house.  Before that I'd have said it was average sized but it's small (1100 sq. ft.) and never seems so small as when the grandchildren are literally racing from one end to the other and back again and the grown ups are ranged about the dining table and living room chatting. 

I enjoyed seeing them.  I hadn't seen Hailey in over a year.  The boys are taller than they were last summer when I saw them last, Zach almost as tall as Daniel though 2 years separates them.  What was the most fun was to hear Hailey mothering Josh during a crying spell.  And to watch Josh who is almost, but not quite, two suddenly realize that Zach, at four, was the sort of boy he wanted to be.  "Dack" soon had a shadow.  Josh declined the high chair and sat on the dining chair.  He ate foods he'd have shook his head at and said "No" to any other time.  He ran.  He followed.  He went up and down the front steps hundreds of times.  If the big kids did it, he at least attempted it too and he did a fine job of keeping up.


John's plan to grill burgers, Bess' pans of chicken enchiladas she'd made and frozen last week saved me a  lot of worry and stress.  I was left really with just breakfast to make.  It was exhausting enough keeping up with the kids, trying to keep pathways free of toys, etc. without adding in the struggle to make meals while children ran through the kitchen (starting gate for the pony races conducted by Aunt Bess by the way).  Just 24 hours we had them but goodness, when they were all packed up and gone, after shedding a few tears at seeing them go so soon, Bess looked across the table at me and said "Good Lord.  That was work!  Fun, but a lot of work."  Having experienced this many times in the past myself, I could only nod wearily and smile.  "Yep."

...I plan meals:
Meals keep being shifted about as schedules and plans change.


Crock Pot Lasagna, Salad, Garlic Bread

Pizza Sunday

Stuffed Peppers, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans,  Corn Muffins

Spaghetti, Salad, Garlic Bread

Chicken Paprika, Potatoes, Carrots

Chicken Curry in a Hurry, Yellow Rice, Tomatoes

Mongolian Beef, Rice, Steamed Broccoli


...I plan my work:
 I bought a blue hydrangea last week that I need to plant.  I'd set I it in a spot where I thought I wanted it but it's doesn't seem to have liked that spot.  I'll be putting it in a new spot to see how it fares there before I dig a hole to plant it.

Water plants (at least every other day unless it rains).

Lay weed mat and spread mulch back end of house.

Pay day this week so the usual work related to that:  bills, banking, errands.

Choose one room/porch each day and really work in just that spot.  I've done very well with keeping up my bed/bath since I'm so seldom in that space but the rest of the house could use some extra attention.  I'll be limited in what I might do but it's a good time to focus on each area in turn and simply spend a day setting to rights, dusting, etc.

Order presents for two birthdays.

Make birthday cupcakes for Josh.

...I plan my leisure:

she looks a bit done in, doesn't she?  Lol 

I would really like to see the new movie "Love and Friendship" but it's apparently not playing in my area at present.  I went to two yard sales this weekend and looked for things for me, not the booth, and that was fun. 

I don't have an adult coloring book, but this past week, while we were dealing with all the children at once, Bess and I both took a time out at separate times and colored in one of the children's coloring  books I have on hand.  I so enjoyed that time and it was a great focused quiet time.  I have some adult pages I've culled from magazines that Mama had given me I'm going to copy off on regular paper and perhaps spend some time coloring.

I'm just going to look about me for little ways to enjoy myself...and keep an eye on the cinema offerings in case the movie does come to my area.

6 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Terri,
I am so happy that you got to enjoy the time with your grandchildren. Know it was a lot of work, and a lot of fun.. Spending time with our grandkids are so rare.. They grow up so fast. I really miss my babies..ha..[mine are 17-17-15- 12 and 12]. No more babies..
Enjoy your week.. the movie sounds like a good one.
ps.. I love to color too.. I found that I can find free adult coloring sheets on the internet.. I to this some times..

Lana said...

Looks like the tropical storm in the gulf might affect you in the next couple of days. Be safe!

We have seen all five of our grandchildren in one weeks time. The youngest turned two today and when we arrived for her party carrying presents she was at the front door shouting 'presents'! She blew out her own candles which I have never seen a two year old be able to do alone before! And you get to have Josh there for his birthday! How fun! Our house gets smaller when all are here too and they run up and down the stairs like thunder. I want to see Love and Friendship, too. We will be at the Pisgah Inn for our 38th anniversary Friday through Sunday this week so it will likely be later. Often we just don't have time until movies trickle down to our $2.50 theater which is just fine since we can go for 5 bucks!

We have Sweet and Sour Chicken, grilled burgers and corn on the cob. Beef and Broccoli, and Spaghetti on our menu this week. Today we ate both breakfast and lunch out for only $8.59 total! Then we are off to the NC mountains for the weekend.

I picked up two fresh peaches at the grocery store today. Bleh. I'll wait for the local ones to come in and not eat anymore second rate ones!

Have a good week!

Vickie @Vickie's Kitchen and Garden said...

I guess we live in a small house too because it looks like it explodes every time the grandchildren come. They are such a joy...what would we do with out them. You are so lucky to have them stay there for awhile.

I was going to buy an hydrangea at Aldi's (they had one left). I read that they needed shade and I just couldn't figure out where to put it. They are beautiful though.

Have a great day!

Tammy said...

It warmed my heart when I read that the kids came after all. I smiled and said, "Yes!" out loud. LOL.
My house will be filled with family in a couple of weeks and I look forward to it - the noise, chaos, and mess. They'll only be here from Sunday night to Tuesday morning, and I will also sigh and collapse after they leave, but it will be so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Our house is small too. No room for many around the table or to sit down anywhere. Thankfully we have a covered patio and a large table out there. Even then one has to wait in many areas of the house for another to move to get by them ! :-) Sadly though we don't have many grandchildren. We are ever so thankful for the ones we have though. Before you have children of your own, you just don't fully understand the feelings you'll have. Then when we have grandchildren it adds a whole other demention to our lives doesn't it. A wonderful one !!!
Here today we vote on the primary. This whole election cycle has been a tough one. I would vent but will not. Praying for it all and our country in general is a better thing to do. Lots of praying. Sarah

Karla said...

I am so blessed to see that things are going beautiful where combined family is concerned. I pray for peaceful days and growing closer.

How exciting to have so much time with your grands! I know your Grandma heart must be filled up with love.

I have a question. Perhaps you've answered this before and I missed it. You have mentioned previously that you now store your berries in jars. Would you elaborate on how you prep them once you bring them home from the grocery?
Thanks in advance!