March Declutter/Cleaning Challenge *Updated*

How did you do on February's challenge?  I didn't do one single thing.  Seriously.  I'm not going to look back or try to catch up from behind.  Nope.  I'll just move forward this coming month and be happy I can move on. 

I like this lady's calendar format and that it's meant to be done in 15 minutes each day, so I plan to keep sharing them.  Here's the link for March:

I thought some of you might be interested in a cleaning calendar geared to the same month, since the first calendar also has the task of creating daily and weekly cleaning routines.  I looked over several calendars before I found one that looked like a really good one to follow for daily cleaning.  The calendar I'm sharing is from March 2016 but keep track of the site here.  You might well find one for March 2017.   There IS a March 2017 calendar.  Kemi was good enough to share that information with me.   You will need to subscribe...

Thank you for linking to my 2016 calendar :) Subscribers can get the March 2017 calendar along with a decluttering challenge and access to other freebies (there's a Vintage Cleaning Hints in there).

I agree seasonal cleaning can get overwhelming. Since you like older cleaning books (as I do) I recommend Household Engineering by Christine Frederick. You can find it free online (google ebooks)
. Kemi

I really try not to do seasonal cleaning anymore.  It's too much work at one time and no fun.  I much prefer to spread it out and do a little each week.  This month I'm going to focus on the bedrooms.  gDonna did this task last month.  I thought her post interesting as she was following along with an older housekeeping book.  It made me think I'd really like to dig out my older books (if I haven't culled them) and see what a deep cleaning looks like.  I'll be taking down curtains and washing our bedspread and cleaning windows and such.  By the end of the month I expect to have both our room and the guest room in ship shape.  If I do just a few tasks each day it should be very do-able.

That's my challenge to you all this month to declutter, clean, and do a little deep cleaning. 

6 comments:

Lana said...

We got so far behind on everything after Hubby's last heart attack and had finally caught up. I can see us sliding down that slippery slope again and have to just not think about it. We did take our bed all apart and washed everything and put it back together with the new mattress pad and encasement. While we were at it we really cleaned the bedroom. It feels so good and the bed is so fresh. I just have to remind myself that the little things are not important right now. We have a big thing of healing to do right now and that is where I need to be. If I start any sort of project then he over does it because he wants to help me.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

I am in much need of a whole house decluttering. This schedule breaks it down very nicely...I don't feel overwhelmed when reading it. It reminds me of that old adage, "how do you eat an elephant?" (One bite at a time!) thanks so much for the inspiration and the link!
Love,
Tracey
XoX

P.S. Good news, I'm not locked out of my blog anymore, yay! Bad news is I still can't access the frugalluxuries email (triple ugh moment)!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Thanks for sharing the links..
I too, have started doing the seasonal cleaning, little bits at a time.. Much better than doing it twice a year..[as you said no fun!!]
I just finished one bedroom, and will start on the guess bedroom next.
Have a great day..
how is the new baby doing?

Delorise said...

I'm with you- seasonal cleaning is just too much work and stress. I prefer to do a room at a time thru out the year. I remember when I was growing up each spring we would take the mattresses outside and lay them up on something. They would lay in the sun all day (we turned them over part way thru the day). I don't remember ever hearing of bed bugs back then-- maybe the sunning killed them. That is just one of the things that I can recall that we did back years ago that you don't hear of anyone doing anymore. Got to say glad that fell by the wayside, getting those mattresses out and back inside was work.

Kemi said...

Thank you for linking to my 2016 calendar :) Subscribers can get the March 2017 calendar along with a decluttering challenge and access to other freebies (there's a Vintage Cleaning Hints in there).
I agree seasonal cleaning can get overwhelming. Since you like older cleaning books (as I do) I recommend Household Engineering by Christine Frederick. You can find it free online (google ebooks)

Debby in KS said...

That's a great calendar. I made one of my own based on the Flylady concept of zones. Each week is a different zone and I customized it my house, my schedule, etc.

Today, for example is Thursday in Zone 1. My regular Thursday duties are ironing for the week, laundry (if needed), vacuuming the entire upstairs, and all the desk work. Zone 1 is the entryway & living room. The task for today is to vacuum under the sofa/chair cushions. Additionally, I'll take 15 minutes to do anything else like declutter, touch up paint, etc. Today I started my spring decorating & put out some green! I have 2 task sheets that rotate every other month so I pretty much get to everything indoors several times per year. If something is missed, I monkey with it until it's better. I'm a list person so that's my best tool. Have list, will work it!

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage