Weekly Meal Plan







I am feeling better.  I think the good sleep on that new mattress and pillow has been a huge help.  Now I can finally get my head into my pantry freezer challenge. 

I made a big pot of soup Friday afternoon when we came in from running errands.  We had soup for supper that night.  I'd sort of halfway planned it for Shabbat dinner but it's one of the rare things John doesn't care to have leftovers of right away, no matter how good it is, and it was really good.  That soup cost me only the hamburger I used to make it.  Every single other thing in it was in the fridge or the freezer already.  I'll put the soup in the freezer in individual containers.  It might appear 'at a later date' when it won't look like leftovers, lol.

Every meal on this week's menu uses what is already in the freezer, not the meat most recently purchased (it's dated so I know just which packages to use) or in our pantry.  I plan to keep my grocery list very short this pay period and buy only the items I am out of.  I need to purchase fruit, milk, cheese, eggs, and bread. Oh yes and dishwasher detergent.  I hope to stock up on Turkey Spam and any other good sales items but definitely not purchasing for current usage.



This week's menus might look a little sketchy.  We have a few obligations that will mean we don't eat all our meals at home or where only one of us will be here and having leftovers.  This is not a typical week but it is the way this week will run.

Leftover soup, Lacy cornbread
John's working so no problem having soup today for me.  The cornbread will be my treat for myself.  I'll have leftover batter.  That will make cornmeal cakes for breakfast in the morning.

Meat Loaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Fried Okra
One of my favorite meals. I don't use sausage in my meatloaf nor green peppers either.  I will use a full pound of ground beef and will add some bread crumbs to stretch the meat mixture.  The leftover thin sliced meatloaf will be sandwich meat.

Chicken Dumplings, Broccoli and Apple Salad, Dessert
I expect the chicken breasts are just as big in the next package as in the last...So I'll use just one breast cut in chunks.  I want to make this old fashioned way, like my Granny used to do. Note I just say 'dessert'.  Not sure what I'll make.  I'm ready for a cake but haven't decided what kind yet.


Pizza, Salad
We plan to buy groceries one day this week.  I could buy a pizza for $4.99 at Aldi and it would be delicious, but I can make one at home for little to nothing.  I make a decent pizza dough, usually, and I've got plenty of cheese on hand.  I have onions, bell peppers, olives, Italian sausage that I keep forgetting I have...Why buy? I can make the pizza before we go out and bake when we return.


Pasta with Spinach Alfredo sauce and Chicken, Italian Flat Beans, Sliced Tomatoes
I don't mean to use lots of chicken in this dish.  If I can stretch this breast to cover sandwiches for John's lunch as well, all the better.  We'll see how well I do.  

Tacos and Soda
A takeout meal for one this day.


Leftovers
Another day when only one will eat...I am sure there will be leftovers from the week to be eaten.  If not, there's soup in the freezer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since the holidays I haven't seen much of anything in the grocery ads at good enough prices to stock up on. That is ok since I had a lot already but seems unusual in some ways too. Here we have many different grocery options around and none have anything on a good sale. This week when rooting through the freezer to get out the older things to use I came across a casserole I had put in there a month and a half ago. I'd forgotten it! Sure was glad to find it though. Now it is on the menu for this week. I need to keep a better listing of what is in the freezer.
I sure hope your back is staying better.
I saw a film of a 1949 kitchen on a blog today. It was filled with efficient planning and lots of ideas I think many could use to improve their kitchens. It was on this blog: timetravelkitchen.blogspot.com/
Go there and look down her right side of the blog and see the 1940s posts and it is on the first page of them. It was originally posted April 19,2011. The post was entitled, Step Saving Kitchen of 1949. Hope you enjoy looking at it like I did. Sarah.

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder