In My Home This Week: What I Did, What I Didn't Do, What I Ought to Have Done...



Saturday:  Glory be!  I finally remembered that we like to eat on Shabat and I dislike cooking on Shabat, so I planned ahead yesterday and pulled out some chicken breasts to thaw.  I could have done a tad more prep work towards the task of dinner but thawing meat was way yonder more than I've done in a long while, lol.  I made Golden Chicken Pasta, a recipe I'd seen on FoodTV's "The Kitchen" a couple of years ago.



It does not sound inexpensive when you read through the list of ingredients but I cut costs in two ways.  First, I half the recipe.  This is a more than sufficient amount of food to feed four people four hearty servings and could easily stretch to six or even eight more reasonable portions. When I make the recipe, I always put a portion away for a second meal.  This time I put in a pie pan, topped with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and we have a thaw, heat and eat meal for another day.

Second, I buy the majority of ingredients at Aldi and keep all of them on hand all the time.  All I really need to do is pick up  the can of Golden Mushroom soup when I'm in the other groceries I shop.   The soup is never on sale.  I just grab up a couple or three cans when I think about it and keep it on hand.  I also have a meatloaf recipe I haven't made in years that calls for that same soup.  I must  make it once more!  I suspect John might like this recipe because it's simple.

I woke especially early this morning and sorted out a decision regarding my business.  I decided that after 9 months, four of which have been in 'transition',  that I'd have to start all over again from scratch...and frankly, I don't want to!  Since I'm not financially dependent upon this as an income stream and because it had become a bit of a drain on my personal income as the company kept switching gears and finally went bankrupt in the Spring, I decided that this is the time to quit.  The idea of starting up again just felt like too much at this point.  Something else will come along...It always does!   Saying that makes me feel a bit like my grandmother.  Grandmama C was a smoker.  She told me once, "I can quit anytime I want; I've done it 20 or 30 times already!"  Well that's me going into business for myself.  I've had more jobs and every single one of them worked great for a time and then the income stream stopped and I sat back and waited and a new opportunity presented itself...Yep!  It's happened at least ten times so far and I guess those opportunities will just keep coming.

Sunday:  I took out a single serving entrée each of leftover rice from Arroz con Pollo that I made back in July and a single serving of Tikka Masala that Samuel made around the same time and thawed those in the fridge over the weekend.  I'm so glad I did because by the time I'd wandered through the house for seven hours today, listening to sermons via TV or phone, and working in this room and that and outdoors, too, I was very hungry!  A microwaved meal was the ticket for sure today.  That last bottle of Tikka Masala had a little more heat than the previous jars have had.  I won't buy it now that Sam and Bess have moved out because I don't believe that John would enjoy it.  We always seemed to have it when he wasn't home and each time there was just enough heat I felt he mightn't like it as well as we did.

What did I do today?  Where would you like to start?

 In the yard, I weeded another flower bed, disentangling a mess of morning glory volunteers from the plants and beheading the spiderwort that was going to seed.  I love spiderwort because the bees love it.  I loathe it because it can be quite the pain in the nether regions to get rid of.  The best way I've found to control it to date is to deadhead it regularly so that it doesn't go to seed.  You could always broadcast it far and wide by digging down into the ground to gather it up and living one tiny little hair like root behind there and drop a half dozen or so across the yard...I learned that lesson the hard way!  It's far easier to deadhead it.  For some reason that seems to control it better than any other method.

Weeding, clearing out several cabinets in the kitchen: the glass storage.  How on earth do you LOSE lids and/or jars?  They are as bad as plastic ware I promise you!  I tossed unmatched pieces and insured I had a lid for every jar on hand by actually putting a lid on each one.  I sorted through coffee cups (why do TWO people need 20 coffee cups?  Or six thermal travel mugs?  Even with four adults in the house we only used four.  Mismatched bowls.  China coffee cups are surplus, as well.  I have two lovely cups Katie gave me and two sets of china with cups and saucers to match. I do not think I need all these things.  They went to donation pile.  Then I organized the canned food cupboard.  I cleared off two shelves on the bookshelf in the pantry.  Room to grow my pantry further.  Found a home for all the stuff in the ugly black file cabinet except  the file folders and the printer.  I shall ponder that  printer a bit further.  It must sit on something high enough to keep it out of too easy reach of Isaac, near the computers so we can print out items as needed...Hmmm...The files will go in a storage bin and I'll find an inconspicuous spot to stash that.

There was more done.  Typical household sorts of things and finally admitting I was done in and sitting down to write out a coffee chat and a note to Kate.   I had a pizza salad for supper followed by the last two graham crackers broken and dipped in Hazelnut spread,  There are advantages to living alone.  I didn't bother with a dish, just dipped right into the jar.  No shame, ladies, no shame.  No one will touch that jar except for me now that family has moved, so it's all mine.

Monday:

Awake very early this morning.  I tried to return to sleep but after I clearly heard the bus come to a stop over at the top of the other hill, I started thinking of Josh going on it and starting his day.  I crawled out of bed to start my day as well. I'd promised myself I'd sleep in every morning John wasn't working but here I am still keeping time with Josh, sigh.

John had a work meeting so I didn't start breakfast.  I figured he'd have something to eat at work (he did, not much but he had something) and  so I went ahead with lunch preparations.  Today we'll have roast beef with mashed potatoes.  I used just half a packet of onion soup mix in the roast as my flavoring of choice.  I find this makes a very tasty gravy for use on potatoes when mixed with a little cornstarch.  I have not yet determined my choice of vegetables to go with this.

The bananas we bought on Friday are fully ripe, just as I suspected they would be.  I made 1 1/2 dozen doughnuts using a banana bread recipe, then made a butter nut glaze and sprinkled them with finely chopped walnuts.   These are tasty as everything.  I cut the sugar called for by 1/4 cup and don't fill we lost too much sweetness especially since I glazed the doughnuts.

Saved a bit of the roast and leftover gravy to make roast beef hash for another meal this week.

I just don't feel well today so I am not tackling any big projects nor small ones either.  A day off can't hurt, right?

Spent some time this morning contemplating two statements I've heard in the past month that began "I can't..."   I've noticed in both instances that both people really meant, "I won't..."  They are both very intelligent people who have made a choice NOT to  do something that would work as well for them as it does for others.  It is not a privation issue but simply a lack of willingness to put a tried and true formula into place.  Ah well...Does make me aware when I say, "I can't..." to stop and examine if it's truth or an excuse.

Tuesday:
 Errands to run today.  I had to pick up a prescription and my new glasses.  I made breakfast for us and filled the sausage pan with water.  This 'gravy' of sorts was poured over the dog food which Rufus appreciates as his teeth are apparently more worn down than Maddie's.

I gathered up the next lot of donations and all the trash to put in the car with us and be taken off while we were out.

Picking up my glasses and prescription took less time than anticipated.  John asked if I had dinner plans.  I had several options, some frozen, and some easily prepared from scratch.  He had a certain menu in mind and told me he really wanted a steak and potatoes.  I said that was fine, I had grocery money a plenty left this pay period.  Then he asked, what if we went by Mama's to have lunch with her?  I knew she'd really enjoy us going by and we agreed we'd pick up deli foods and dessert and go over to her apartment.  I suggested he go ahead and buy his steak and potatoes while we were out and we'd have it later in the week.  This made him happy and Mama happy and I was happy that they were both happy, lol.

We picked up mail on our way back to the house.  It's been a very easy day overall.  We're agreed we don't want a big supper and John's work lunch is all packed up.  The errands I'd meant to run tomorrow are all done, so I think I have my work planned for the next day.

My splurge today was a British Country Living magazine.  I paid for it out of my pocket money.   Aren't magazines off the store rack horribly expensive?!  If it  weren't British...No regrets.  But definitely not something I mean to do monthly!

John and I took a back roads home and the amount of autumn blooming flowers have increased by ten times.  Goldenrod, what we call tobacco plant (yellow flowers), drifting leaves, etc.   We had a full four hours of slow steady rain yesterday and it felt autumnal.  Oh August!  You are fleeting!

John came home with the intent of mowing.  Weather had other ideas and instead we had a heavy enough shower to cure him of his intent.

We spent three hours watching a silly British version sports program that we've enjoyed for years on American television.  We used our Netflix account and laughed and giggled as we watched people attempt some difficult but fun tasks. It made for a fun relaxed evening and added to our very nice day together.

We stood at the kitchen window watching a doe and her twin fawns as they grazed on the front lawn.  I texted the information to Sam who told me he'd seen five young bucks nibbling grass about the chicken house.  Sam plans to hunt this year.  I reminded him that my freezer too would appreciate the venison if he made good on his hunting.    I wonder if John will choose to join him?  He used to hunt as well.

Wednesday:

The usual work morning tasks: breakfast made, coffee to go, lunch packed.

Today's task list:  sort out the cabinet above the broom closet, sort the paints cabinet, and then tackle my closet.  I started by cleaning the kitchen well.  That meant changing out towels and dish mat, putting things away, and wiping noticeable spots on walls and cabinets.  I also dusted the kitchen sitting area and cleaned the ceiling fan before sweeping the floor.

Then I went to work on one of my chores: clear the cabinet above the broom closet.  This went quite well. I  was able to put the batteries and lightbulbs into that cabinet once again, found several items John assured me were not there, in multiples.  I have a basket devoted to cleaning cloths and made up a plastic bag for John to take out to the shops so he has some handy for wiping hands.  I just cannot bring myself to toss wash and dish cloths, towels or even old rugs.  The rugs often serve as bedding for the pets.  Even sheets and pillowcases past their best use are saved because they do well for drop cloths or tarps.

I cleared and organized the paint cupboard.  I have enough paint to work on a couple of projects.  I also found a 50c oops paint that I think I can mix with a small sample and have something closer to a color I'd like for yet another project.

Cleaning the bedroom I found myself sorting out the bookcase, and then moving on to the bottom drawer of my dresser.  I typically don't sort out that bottom drawer but it seemed the thing to do this morning and I ended creating a good bit of extra space.

I stopped about here and had my 'second breakfast', a slice of peanut butter toast and a Dr. Pepper.  I read two chapters of Cranford and allowed myself to rest a bit.  I'd been hard at work for three hours at that point.

Then it was time to tackle the closet.  First up was to pull out everything we'd put there when we were making room for the family to move into the house.  That was a lot more than I'd thought!   Then I sorted out the two bags of stuff I'd filled with Jamberry products and  business items.  I have that down to one bag of  nail stuff now.  It's a Thirty One tote bag and I might try to reduce further, but right now this is a really good start.

I sorted purses, shoes, scarves and finally clothes.  The clothes took longest because I knew some of the items were too big for me.  I've lost weight these past six months and it's made a big difference in how things fit.  I started a bag for donations, set aside two blouses to alter (sleeves too long on one and I'd prefer a straight hem rather than the flared dippy sort of hem on another one), and set aside a couple of items to see if Katie would like them.  I was shocked at how much stuff was too big!  I have a clearer idea of what my sizes are at present, after trying everything on. I don't think I need anything for the coming Fall season except an all weather type coat.  I'd like to get a nice trench type that has a removable liner  because I think they are the most versatile.  I wouldn't mind some purses with a bit of color to them but I do have nice neutral colors at present.

I put all the clothes back sorted by color.  Now I can begin to look at setting up outfits for the end of summer and early fall months and determine what accessories, if any, I might buy.

I was well and truly tired after that bit of work and made myself a tortilla pizza for lunch.  I had all the makings in a bag in the freezer and it was simple to put together.  I'd made a plan for supper, but Sam just asked me to come join them for supper tonight.  I'm looking forward to that!

I have a big bag of stuff to put n the car to donate...And I have lots of stuff in the guest room that is stacked on the end of the bed or atop the dresser or sewing table that must go to the shed, find a new home or be repaired/altered.  Aside from that though this first pass through the house is done.  I've cleaned and cleared and donated and tossed from every single area in the house.  I've still got two or three things to sort out.  For instance, where we'll put the office supplies and where to put the printer? What shall we replace the cobbled together armoire with in the kitchen?  It has to be fairly tall to keep things out of the boys reach and it has to be neat and durable storage.  But those things will sort themselves out I suppose.  In the meantime, I am going to start taking stuff to the shed.  At least I will as soon as I've rested my feet a little more!

Thursday:

 I had a lovely time with the boys last night.  Sam made a spatch-cocked chicken and had roasted potatoes and a green bean and carrot medley that we all like from Aldi's freezer section.  The little boys were sweet as could be.   We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and I felt blessed as the most blessed should feel when I left.  Sam and I had stood in the back yard overlooking the old fields and there was a deer standing there watching us.

Up this morning a wee bit later than usual.  I made biscuits and sausage for breakfast.   John and I sat and talked a good long while, sipping coffee and just enjoying the cool morning air.  It had turned off cooler and so pleasant last night that I was able to open windows this morning.

This little cool spell came in at a nice time.  I'd just gotten the electric bill yesterday and we'd only had a $20 drop.  After looking over dates, the billing period ended 1 week after Sam and Bess moved out.   I told John we'll hopefully see a bigger drop come next month's bill.  Much less electricity used overall and far more mild days than we'd had in July.

I decided to do what I'd meant to do yesterday afternoon. I hauled a bunch of stuff out to the shed.  It took two trips.  I stood in the doorway and contemplated the mess.  I could count three bigger items right away that might as well be donated.  I was shocked to find I'd put a bin of books out there.  Given that I've a bin full of them in the house, I guess I'd better see if I can't get them all donated, too!  I could use those two bins for a great deal more than book storage of books I no longer want.

Back indoors, I decided I'd work on the guest room and try to get it organized more nicely now that I'd moved a lot of the stuff that was on the bed.  I organized what I kept of the fabric stash, sorted out the sewing box and the chiffarobe and while it's not quite where I'd like it to be yet, I think one more good work day will set it to rights.  If I could move out the mattress that is leaning against the wall and the dresser I could rearrange the room to best suit my needs and purpose for the room.  In the meantime I most work around the unwanted items.

John's steak dinner he'd requested was our menu today.  The steak we'd purchased was so large that I cut it in half then cut two nice steaks from one half.  I put half a steak in the freezer to use in another meal.  I've been thinking about it and think I would like to make beef stroganoff with it.  I won't be making it right away though.  We've had plenty of beef this week.

As I was making lunch I washed a bag of linens I'd found that I'd  picked up at Mama's.   I hung these on the line to dry. I'd forgotten I'd brought them home to wash and had stashed them in my closet initially and after Sam and Bess moved, I put the bag in the guest room to be dealt with later.  Well today was 'later'.  We had plenty of sunshine and no clouds at all in the sky.  I looked up at the sky this evening and it was so clean and blue looking that I thought it looked fresh washed itself.   John commented on the aroma of the linens as I brought them indoors.

Funny how his nose works.   Vanilla, freshly mown grass, just baked bread  and line dried laundry always bring a comment from him about how good they smell but he can't smell most things.  .   Earlier this afternoon I'd handed him a sample tube of lotion I'd gotten and he couldn't smell it at all.  I can still smell it 8 hours later even though I've washed several times.   He can smell sharp things like vinegar and those poisonous smelling perfumes.  But that's about it for him.

I worked on bills for the week ahead and noted a trend to spend just a little more than we make each pay period.  Obviously this must come to a halt.  I looked over where we're spending and it's really a simple combination of things.  I'd started setting aside a little more money into sub accounts when John was working overtime.  Between that extra savings and the cost of mowing the lawn weekly, we've slipped a bit.  I'll correct that this pay period.

Nice surprise this afternoon.  John got a call from Josh asking if we'd come to supper tonight...Again!  John was delighted to go see the boys and we enjoyed our meal and visit.  It was Josh who insisted.  Our dinner conversation on Wednesday had been about what we like to eat and Josh said he liked corn dogs.  I said "Oh me too!  And I never seem to have them."  Sam was putting corn dogs in the oven tonight and Josh said "Don't forget Gramma!"  lol   John and I explained that we enjoyed having dinner with them but we couldn't come just every night.  Josh said "But why?"  We told him his daddy hadn't taken us to raise, which made Sam laugh.

 We made the trip out count, even though they are just up the road.  While we were out in the car, we picked up mail, dropped off trash at the dump, drove into town to drop off outgoing mail and got gas for the mower.  One day, we all plan to have a walking path from house to house but until we can get the land cleared we drive the mile to their home and back.

Friday:  

I'm ready to call this week done!  John didn't feel like doing much of anything yesterday but this morning he was out early mowing grass.  He finished our lawn and we sat on the porch and talked a bit while dinner finished heating.  I'd just made myself a glass of iced tea and made him a cool drink of water and we had a rather nice conversation.  Of course Misu, Maddie and Rufus all had to come join us and have a treat, too.

The weather is a little cooler, although at the moment the AC is running pretty much at full tilt.  It was breezy outdoors but I think we've got some weather coming in judging by the cloud cover and the southeastern direction the breeze was coming in from.

So what was MY day like today?  I woke a good bit later than usual, with a tension headache and a stuffy nose.  Neither of those lasted thank goodness.  John had been very restless the latter part of the night, early morning and I was weary, so I rolled over and slept when he got up and left the room.  When I did get up I started breakfast right away for John because I knew he'd been up a good little while.  I split the leftover biscuits from yesterday morning and toasted them with cheese or butter on top.  We ate two huge peaches we'd found at the grocery on Tuesday that were just at that perfectly ripe stage.

I took the big bag of donations out to the car and emptied the compost can after I'd fed the pets.  Then I stripped our bed and gathered up our towels to wash and put them in the dryer since John wanted to mow early so that he could get both yards done today.

While he was outdoors I worked on every room of the house, setting each one to rights and starting a list of tasks to begin next week.  There's always work to be done if you just look about you a little bit.  As I cleaned today I thought and thought about my anguish over the spilled coffee on the carpet and the ding in this table and the tearing of that and decided that after all I was being awfully foolish.  God provided us with every single one of those items and I've so much that I can throw things out the door (quite literally!!) because I can replace them eventually.  How silly of me to mourn over a stain that in the end, most people don't even realize IS a stain.  It's just that I know it is so it bothered me.  Pish Posh and Nonsense!  I'm doubly ashamed of myself now because as I explained to John later, here God had blessed us and how dare I look at things and determine that I'd reached the limit of blessings I could have.

I vacuumed, dusted and straightened my way through the whole house.  I pulled a pan of turkey and dressing from the freezer for today's dinner and thawed a jar of homemade cranberry sauce.   For tonight's supper we'll have the last of the fried chicken from Tuesday, pimento cheese sandwich (cut in half) and deviled eggs, something I only rarely make though John does love them.

I've a stack of hand sewing to begin here in a few minutes, too, but the house is clean all about me, the bread for Shabat is baked, I have dinner plans for the weekend and no need to do much prep work.  I think I shall treat myself to an episode of  "Anne with an 'e' " while John finishes mowing the other yard.

Anybody else struggling with the idea that August is ending here in the next week?

14 comments:

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Just a quick thought ... you could network your computers/laptops and printer. That way you can store the printer in another room and send things to print from your computers/laptops from any room in your home. That would give you the option of entirely eliminating the file cabinet.

Liz C said...

Such a nice style of writing! Like reading a book, and looking forward to the next chapter! Best, Liz from New York

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

This was a wonderful post. It seems you are starting to revive after your long summer and feel more like yourself again. You inspired me with all of your cleaning and organizing projects. Since my knee replacement surgery, it takes me even longer than it did before to get my work done. I have to break projects down into very short, manageable chunks of time. If I overdo, my knees won't do anything at all the next day. When I read your posts I think to myself, well I need to get that done, too, it's just going to take a few go- arounds to get it done.

I'm not ready for August to be ending, but it would be good to have some breaks from this terrible hot weather we've been having here near St.Louis. Yesterday and today have only gotten up to around 80 and it has been so refreshing. but starting tomorrow we are heading back into the humid low to mid 90's again. Ick.

I so enjoyed your nice long post today. It was like a neighborly visit.

Anonymous said...

I think our Terri is back to her old self! Great to read about your life, as I sit here reading about yours instead of folding the load of towels I just took out of the dryer.. LOL. It sounds like the best week you have had in quite a while. Gramma D

Lana said...

I am parting with summer with great sadness as I had several illnesses over the summer and we did absolutely nothing fun. I gad a virus in my inner ear and was dizzy for 8 weeks and then had a horrible chest congestion and cough following that. We bought the camper van that we had been looking for for 2 1/2 years back in June and have not used it once. We have not even been to the lake but we are going on Sunday for the last bit of summer. Our squirrels typically start stripping our hickory trees of nuts during the first few days of August but they were 10-12 days late this year which makes me think that summer weather will hang on a bit late this year. I hope! Meanwhile we may have found the downsize house we have been looking for and I am like a deer in the headlights when I think about actually moving. Because of my husband;s brain injury we have made the decision to pay to be moved no matter how much it is because he cannot do it any other way. That would come from the proceeds from our present house. We have put it all in God's hands because He knows what is best for us.

Rhonda said...

Good evening, you know I like these Friday posts.
When did you get Rufus? I missed that, or was he Sam and Bess’ dog previously?
I’m glad you had a do-nothing day, you’ve been especially busy and I know you needed it both physically and mentally.

It does seem like August flew by. I was looking up next week’s CVS ad and when I saw it ended on September 1, I first thought I was looking at the ad for 2 weeks ahead. But no, in a week from tomorrow it will be September.

Wendi said...

The summer season hasn't been the best for me. As I look around and spy the season change coming I'm ready. Fall seems to bring a slower pace that I'm longing for.

Do you have a Half Priced Book store in your area? If so, might I suggest you sell your excess books. I don't make much, but as I tell my hubby it's more money than I had before I walked in the door!

terricheney said...

Lana, Sam told me that you can hire movers from U-Haul. You just tell them how a big a truck you want and hire the workers for a set fee. This is how they got packed up in Screven and then Sam drove the truck here and he and Bess unloaded it but if they had chosen they might have gotten movers to help unload the truck here as well. I knew you were commenting less but thought perhaps you were at the lake. I'm sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope that you have a lovely time at the lake.


Rhonda, Rufus was a lost dog my niece picked up and abandoned at the house. My brother kept him fed and watered until Sam and Bess moved here and then Rufus followed them to this house after they were up there and he's pretty much been here since. He will sometimes go to the other house but mostly he considers himself home here. so here he stays.


Wendi, I read your blog post concerning your summer. I'm glad you are feeling better as well and hope that all continues to go well with you.

Carolyn, they are networked. I just need a place to home it. Every spot I have that might do is either not aesthetically pleasing or not situated near a plug.


Susie, I do a good number of my jobs seated in a desk chair so I can lower it down to a good stooping level. If my knee is bothering me it might hurt to get up but not so much as it would if I were actually down on the floor.


Liz C, Thank you so much!


Gramma D I do feel better for the most part. Today starts another medication drop down which is always a little iffy at first and then it settles down.

Lana said...

Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure that we will have to go with a full service mover. Even loading the car to go to the lake is overwhelming for my husband. He loads up and then I drive so he can recover.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I so enjoy your blog, but do not comment often. I guess I feel spent by the time I’m reading blogs and don’t put forth the effort to comment very much, but I shall try to do so more often. I have been touched by so many of your posts these past months. I want to thank you for opening up about your struggles with anxiety, and your desire to help others in the process. Ever since our son sustained a brain injury playing tackle football almost two years ago, he has had issues with anxiety. I have heard from others who have had concussions and then anxiety issues, that many times the medications actually make their problem worse, which scared us. So it was interesting to hear that your low dose has helped you. I am also quite interested in the natural supplements your doctor advised you to take. My son has found hemp CBD oil to be helpful (Charlotte’s Web or KOI brands). He still has constant pain (although thank the Lord it is significantly less than he had for the first 14 months....God led us to two concussion clinics and I spent the winter traveling with him for treatment). Anyway, thank you from the bottom of my heart. He never had problems with anxiety before the injury. We call it “tension” because it makes him feel worse when we label it “anxiety”. I am so glad that you are feeling better. From the brain injury blogs I read, anxiety can be so overwhelming.

I am looking forward to autumn very much. Even though summer is fleeting here in WI, I absolutely love the low humidity and cooler temps that autumn brings. If only we could have a longer autumn that we do our long winters! I have been slowly planning fall decor and changes in our menu. I just love spicy apple and pumpkin dishes and drinks. Autumn is always busy with our boys involved in sports, but this year it is just our youngest in soccer. Seasons are changing in our lives with our boys getting older and sometimes I have really struggled with it. How do those sweet boys turn into temporarilly moody teenagers?? Sigh. The sweet boys are still in there somewhere...lol

You have made me feel lazy reading all the work you have done in your house! I am playing catch up with deep cleaning as our focus has been on medical issues for a while now. I keep reminding myself that we almost lost our son on that football field that day and to feel so blessed every minute. One forgets when one stressful day blends into the next. It does feel good to have things calm down a bit and to “nest” again! Off to tackle a bit of cleaning. Hugs to you Terri!

Jo said...

Hi Terri,
Like so many others, I enjoyed this post and agree that you are sounding better.
You definitely inspired me with all the things you accomplished.
That was so sweet when you were invited to dinner - twice!
I think I am in somewhat of a denial phase about autumn. I seen do this every year. But every year I also seem to enjoy autumn more and more.
Blessings to you and yours!

Beckyathome said...

I'm so glad to hear about all the things you have been getting done! I'm sure you must have a great sense of satisfaction when you look around your "getting tidy" house.

I've been able to go around doing odds and ends today, and it felt great! There is still lots to do around here. The garden is winding down a little bit--I pulled the onions today. That's always a sign that fall is near. I'm spending every spare minute picking and processing produce.

terricheney said...

Karen, I loved reading your comment. Thank you so much for sharing your life with me. This is something I don't get nearly enough of being on one side of a computer screen and you all on the other. I am feeling much better and have decreased my medication to the level that I am now just taking a night time dose. I admit rather selfishly that I enjoy the drowsy side effect as it does help me drift off and stay asleep. I hope that your son continues to improve. I do understand the anxiety vs. tension being a matter of semantics and how each makes you feel. I just finally accepted that my level of tension was beyond being stressed or nervous. It was at that point I knew it was time to seek out help.

Becky, it does feel good to have the house 'tidy' once more. If only I had the skip so I could truly toss out all that I'd like to toss. I'm glad you had time to get a few things done at home. I hope all is well now with your family.


Jo, I admit that I no longer wish summer away and I do feel a real pang at the thought that it's so nearly over. I have learned these last years to appreciate every season for all that it brings in beauty and life.

Anonymous said...

You sure have accomplished A LOT since your family has moved into their own home. I love ticking off the things I want to get done at home. Big or small. I think you are starting to feel "at home' in your home again. :-)

I want to thank you for the search this blog place on your blog. I have used it and it is such a help. Sarah