Worth Sharing This Week


Did you notice the new description here on the blog?  I felt it was time to refocus and redirect.  Not foregoing the idea of thriftiness but expanding it to include my real goal.  After writing out a half dozen or so new ideas, I was inspired by a line I read this week to write this:
"Practicing wise economy while pursuing beauty, loveliness and grace."   


I've a tendency to lean hard merely on the side of saving money.  I am always doing that and getting myself all out of balance...And then when things get a bit snug I tend to worry far too much and don't appreciate the loveliness and beauty and wonder of just plain living.  I had a huge case of 'I can't'-itis this afternoon and that's when I decided it was time to give myself a check-up.  I realized that I needed to refocus my thinking and stop looking at what I couldn't do and instead to focus upon what I can do.  Right now, time may not be all my own, but I can take time to seek beauty in the written word, in the sights about me or even in a magazine layout.  Here's a few things that moved me this week:


From Instagram, a post Saturday by @sarahwanders about a lovely garden gate sculpture she'd seen at the Victoria and Albert museum in London:  "Beauty is a gift that communicates worth, that says to the recipient, You are precious, worth not just clothing and shelter, but delighting.  You are meant for joy."

The Daily Connoisseur (aka Jennifer L. Scott) is someone I've just begun following on YouTube.  Each month she shares a 'Chic Assignment' and in September she suggested a reading of Robert Frost's Poems.  These lines moved me beyond words.

From Robert Frost's poem, Mending Wall:

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out
And to whom I was like to give offense...

And from his poem, Birches:

I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over...

From an article I was reading on Chabad.org about sounding the shofar on Rosh Hashanah.  I was so moved I made John mute the television show he was watching so that I could read this to him, then I copied it in my journal.   Rabbi Tzvi Freeman wrote:

"There are things that are important to us, so we speak about them.

There are things so important to us that the words flow out in a burst of emotion, rich words, expressive and vibrant.

And then there are things that shake us to the core.  Things that do not care for the mind's permission or for the  right words---for the mind cannot fathom them, the most poignant words could not contain them.  Things that can only break out in a cry, in a scream, and then in silence.

This is the sound of the shofar: The very core of our soul's crying , 'DAD! Don't leave me here alone!'

From Evelyn Underhill's Concerning the Inner Life which I've only just begun reading, I was struck hard by this statement:

We are drifting towards a religion which consciously or unconsciously  keeps its eye on humanity rather than on Deity---which lays all the stress on service and hardly any on awe (emphasis is all mine): and that is a type of religion, which in practice  does not wear well

Flipping through September "Flea Market" magazine (was this a BH&G publication?) at the doctor's office, I came across this photo.  I knew immediately what I loved about it and what I would tone down:

I love all the vibrant color but would not like to have that particular shade of purple in my room.  I've never cared for that color and find it jarring.  Yet it's telling that it's inclusion in this photo really made me pay attention to the room.  I came to a dead halt when I turned to that page!

I feel this is what I'm missing in my own English country décor: color...So now I know what direction I'd like to go.  I think I'll look for more vibrant pillow covers and throws, perhaps some flowering plants.

The pecan tree turned golden earlier this last week and then began to shed it's leaves.   The color against the blue sky was breathtaking:


Glad I captured it at the time, because it's very nearly bare limbed now.

15 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Terri,

I just wanted to check you had the same email. I sent you a message but know that you are super busy right now too. 😊

Have a great weekend. Saw the Downton Abbey movie today. Did not disappoint!

Angela

Conni said...

Greetings, Terri,
Thank you for another thoughtful AND thought-provoking post....a much appreciated treat at the end of a tiring day! I will revisit your quotes and am contemplating NEEDING the book on the inner life. It is obvious that your direction and ‘voice’ have changed. It is so lovely to walk a ways with you on this journey. God continues to bring you to mind for prayer in each day!

terricheney said...

Angela, my email is teaccheney@gmail.com I haven't received a message from you I'm sorry to say. I even went and checked spam.

Conni, not a changed voice exactly but just opening myself a little wider in a way I haven't before. I'm sure you'll find I'm familiar still as time goes on.

Angela said...

Oh well that explains it! I sent to a Yahoo address! I will resend correctly!

Anonymous said...

I remember many years ago a pastor who came to our church who talked about the glance and the gaze. We are to glance at the world around us and keep our eyes on our Lord. For some reason that thought has stuck with me all these years. I am one of those who like to have "new" once in a while and so am always looking at what I have in the house that I can use. One gal I watch on you tube so many times uses a tray to start her flower arrangements. I dont have a bunch of trays but came up with the idea of scarves, placemats, picture frames with pretty wrapping paper in them for a base and am having fun using teacups, interesting jars (my 2 kids seem to like to being their dad jams and jellies from different places and a lot have neat labels) and right now I have silk orange and yellow flowers in a mexican cheese jar that has pretty orange and yellow colors. Her vlog is Arlynns country crafts. She has a home I havent ever even dreamed about, but does some pretty arrangements.
I am just a Dollar Tree decorator and that is fine with me. May you be blessed with a peaceful week. Gramma D

Lana said...

Yes, yes, yes! That is life changing! I had to learn this because my husband was unemployed so many times because his career was in IT. I learned that small things make all the difference even though they may seem to be of no consequence. Beauty and happiness do not have to cost anything much at all. We live by that. God showed up and took care of us in ways we could not even imagine so many times over all those times of unemployment that I learned to trust and not worry. We will always have to watch our pennies so we might as well enjoy life anyways!

A huge thing for me was to realize that shopping did not make me happy. So, I needed to learn to find entertainment elsewhere. So here are some things we do. We pack picnic lunches and go to the park, we make coffee and use a coupon to get two breakfast biscuits and go eat them at the nearby lakefront in the early morning. We go out and sit in the swing and watch the fireflies in the summer and sometimes we eat Popsicles just like we were kids. We read books aloud to each other. After my parents retired, my Mom read all the James Michener books aloud to them. Even a single flower cut in the yard and placed on my end table in the living room makes the day special. We put up twinkle lights in our screen porch because it is fun to eat by them in the evening. We listen to good music a lot and enjoy it so much. A little Sinatra, Nat King Cole or some of the old country music stars make the evening nicer and we try to get it going even as early as breakfast some days. I would keep my Amazon current just for that over the movies. Many evenings we have a little treat and coffee and it makes the end of the day nicer. Sometimes it is just a few Hershey Kisses but it is nice to share it with my husband. We always use cloth napkins and even carry them on picnics along with a table cloth.. It is a small thing but it feels nicer than a paper napkin to us. If you look around you may find free music events in your area. We could easily go twice most weeks and even though it is hard to get motivated sometimes we always have a great time. Last week there was music and dancing outside in our little town that is our mailing address. In a few weeks a series is starting downtown and they are encouraging families to pack picnic dinners and come out for the music. All free except a bit of gas. We always keep chairs in the van so that we can pull them out anytime we happen upon an event or a place where we want a chair. Our city has a botanical garden that is free. It is very shady and enchanting and there a water features so that you can hear water most anywhere. We also have 75 miles of trails in our county. We found that if we looked around there were tons of places and things to do that are all free. The way I find out about events is to follow the city Facebook pages. I do that in our little town where the lake house is, too. I hope these things can help someone think outside the wallet so to speak and add beauty and joy to everyday life.

Anonymous said...

Lana, love that! Think outside the wallet. One of my favorite places is the library. Gramma D

Julel said...

I am so pleased to see that you are back, with a changed focus I really look forward to exploring with you. I suffer from the black dog of depression myself and know how very hard it can be. I have so appreciated you sharing your pain because it has made me feel less alone. It's pouring with rain for the fifth day running here in Manchester in the UK and it would be very easy to become unhappy and lose my focus butyour post has reminded me of the many good or beautiful things around me and in my own life and I would just like to thank you for it.
Best wishes to you and to your family
Lesley

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing the things that moved you this week. I need the reminder.

And I like the ideas for thinking outside the wallet too. Thanks Lana!

Chef Owings said...

I am so glad I read this today. It uplifted me so much.
Blessings on you

terricheney said...

Lana might I add to your list of inexpensive pleasures an annual pass to state parks (about $65 here in Georgia) with a plethora of them within driving distance. And if that seems a stretch to manage, $5 fee for parking. The one we go to most often is FDR state park at Warm Springs. There are loads of picnic areas, hiking trails and overlooks to enjoy for that $5 and the pass is good for the entire day... Thank you for sharing so many good ideas.

Dora the gaze and the glance statement is powerful indeed! Thank you for sharing that!

Conni, I heard of this book from @sarawanders when she shared an excerpt on her Instagram. If you click the title it will take you to a link on Amazon where you can view our options. The book is not available on Kindle but there are new and used copies available.

I am so happy that so many of you appreciated these quotes I shared this week. I'll certainly attempt to make such a post monthly and even try to make it a weekly one if I possibly can.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Terri!

What great points you are making...it's so true that what we focus on grows. I've found that out over the years too. You are so wise to recognize that you needed to recalibrate your thinking...my problem is that I don't always recognize that a readjustment of attitude is necessary until I find myself on edge (I'm usually very relaxed about things). Then I'm reminded to check my focus. Thus, I absolutely understand how the line you read "Practicing wise economy while pursuing beauty, loveliness and grace." resonated with you so much! Years ago, a friend of mine used to call them "God nudges". My problem is that I'm often so dense I don't notice right away! My prayers now include "Please show me what I need to know Lord...and please help me to recognize it" haha!

I love your pecan tree, and it reminded me that I meant to comment on your last post about the art in your living room echoing the living art outside your windows. I really enjoyed the comparison! What a blessing to have such a tree and view...bare or blooming.

Your comparison of the shofar with our soul's crying, "Dad! Don't leave me here alone!" struck such a chord with me. I've felt that several times throughout my lifetime.. That said, I then gratefully remember Matthew 28:
"Lo I am with you always, unto the ends of time."
...and remember...we are never alone and that is such a comfort. But now I am rambling!

Mike is waiting for me to get off the computer as we are sipping our homemade cocoa and coffee (trying to save a bit by not driving through our usual weekend coffee place...trying to create a little financial balance of our own)!

I will sign off for now my friend! As always, thank you so much for the lovely post.
Much Love,
Tracey
x0x

-------

Dear Lana...I LOVE your phrase "think outside the wallet" and reading about the little joys and pleasures that you and your husband have implemented to create such a rich life... "outside the wallet"! You've also reminded me of a few things that I've dropped over the years and would do well to pick them up again! Thanks so much for sharing them! Sending prayers and good thoughts to you and your husband.
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Lana said...

Terri, Our parks that are near are free or $2 but our kids have done the SC pass and we have in fact given them for Christmas some years. We have a bunch of avid hikers in the family including grandchildren. We have a National Park Pass that was a freebie since my husband is disabled but they are a good price for seniors.

Shirley in Washington said...

Dear Terri - Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I loved reading the quotes and your thoughts. It is a wonderful encouragement to me. And all the fun ideas for outings was a good reminder. Blessings! Shirley

Kay said...

Perfectly said. I'm "starring" this post and will come back to meditate more on the quotes. And read the comments more thoroughly. I tend to quickly read so much of the time (being so busy) that I need to remind myself of Stopping and Slowing down and letting words of worth sink into my spirit. This post and it's comments is one.
Thank you for this dear Friend. And at my reading, perfect timing (right before Christmas and the New Year.)

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage