Diary of a Homemaker's Week: The Week Went Where?

 


Saturday:  A longer post for this day's entry perhaps. I wanted to share how yesterday with Caleb went.  He was fine all morning long.  Katie had him dressed in clean pajamas, thinking of his comfort.  When I'm really ill, I want my pjs, too.  It reminds me that I'm ill.  Well Caleb is accustomed to being dressed every day and so while I was folding a load of clothes, Caleb cherry picked his favorite pair of overalls out of the load and said, "I need hep."  I 'hepped' him, lol.  

At one point in the morning, while I was folding clothes, Caleb disappeared.  I called 'Caleb, where are you?' and he replied, in a nasal twang, "I'm inere."  That tickled me so that I called him again and got the same reply.


He played happily all morning long, directed when he wanted snacks or meals and even went to lie down.  I won't say he went happily but he did go, and he slept for more or less an hour.  When he woke, he had a red cheek and ear and a very low-grade fever.  I didn't give him a thing for it. I figured we'd just let this fever work since he wasn't spiking a higher temperature.  We were cuddling together on the couch, listening to the heavy rain fall, when my phone rang.  It was John.   

Caleb always yells 'hey' to anyone on the phone.  When John said, "Come to the back door and let me in..." Caleb went running to the back door, jumping up and down with excitement and screeching periodically to let the steam off, lol.  John could neither see nor hear it all due to the pounding rain overhead on the awning over the backdoor.  It's such a shame, because that was one excited little boy.

The afternoon went along peaceably with Caleb playing quietly and getting up to snuggle with one of us.  When John left, he told him 'Bye' and went right back to his play.   When he heard Katie come in, he was just as excited and ran to greet her.  I said, "I'm going to go...", told Caleb goodbye and then Kate and I began to chat about this and that.  All of a sudden Caleb looked at me and said "GO!"  I think he was ready to have his mama to himself.

All in all, Friday was a long day but a nice enough one.  It was a lot easier to be at his house with his bed and his toys for sure.

Friday Meals:  Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits   from freezer, last of those

Chicken Alfredo Pasta with Veggies    This was a Birdseye Voila! meal that Katie set out for us to have for lunch.  It was pretty good.  

Baked Potato, Big Salad

It rained from lunchtime yesterday all the way through the afternoon and into the evening.  The coral-colored rose that was just budding up yesterday was a full bloom this morning.  All that water and warm weather encouraged it a great deal.  It also encouraged the stupid horn worms.

I've been looking at the tomato plants every day just so I could prevent an infestation, but you know those darned things work hard and fast.  They had wiped out all the leaves on one tomato plant which has a tiny tomato hanging on at the end of a bare stem.  It looks like a Charlie Brown tomato plant!  The others were also infected.  I found and smashed all of them.  Now to wait for the plants to recover, sigh.

Katie has Taylor this weekend and since I've had a hard time doing anything of my own errands and chores and such this week, I was going to buy fried chicken at the local place.  The local place apparently has closed its doors in the past week.  That meant I could drive to Warner Robins or go just 15 miles northeast and get it at another small-town eatery. I opted for that second choice and picked up chicken there.  I won't do it again.  I paid easily twice what it would cost at the grocery where I typically try to buy it.  I wouldn't spend as much on gasoline and chicken together as it cost me to purchase in the small town.  Oh well.

This afternoon, after we'd eaten, Katie requested I pick up some medicine for Taylor rather than drag the children out.  I took advantage of the time in town to look for a smaller kibble dog food for Rufus, looked around the store for a few other items I wanted/needed and came out with mostly a replenishing of over-the-counter children's medicines.  Some were for Katie and some for my own home.  And I did find a smaller Kibbles and bits for Rufus.  I hope he finds it suits him!

Quiet afternoon with soft showers.  Now the sun is shining to finish off the evening.  The grass is so green it hurts the eyes to look at it.  There's drying weather just when it's too late to do a thing about it!

Meals:  COP: toast and eggs   John opened the package of bagels and even though they were in the freezer they had mold.  I suspect that was there prior to our purchase and we missed it because it was between bagels not on top where you could see.

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza   Well not 'steak' but ground meat.  This used up half a can of nacho cheese sauce and was topped with cooked onions and pepper, sandwich spread squirted over that, then topped with mozzarella and asiago which made it kind of taste like provolone.  It was good.   It was very reminiscent of a local eatery's version of a Philly Cheesesteak, which admittedly is hardly authentic.

Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Fries, Carrot Sticks   I had the tenders left from the last Aldi trip about a month ago.

Sunday:  I lay awake last night thinking of too many things and making plans ahead for how to make the morning go smoothly.  I finally put some music on and drifted to sleep with that.   I guess the lying awake and planning was worthwhile because I did all I'd hoped to do this morning and we left earlier than usual for church.

When my alarm went off, I heard John showering.  I hurried to the kitchen and set potatoes to boil for lunch today, got my pan ready to set out fried chicken for reheating, put out my pans to make the rest of lunch.

Then I reheated leftovers of our holiday breakfast and a bit of supper from one night to make this morning's meal.    I showered while that heated and then John and I ate.  I put on my makeup and dressed, and we were off to church.  We took mail with us to post.

Really good sermon today.  John thought we were going to the grocery today.  I've no idea why.  I never mentioned wanting to go and never said we needed anything.   Truth, there was nothing on sale this week that I felt I should gather for my home.  I'll just hold on to my money until next sales cycle and see what that offers.    By the way, I checked the figures for June thrifty meal plan per the government against those for May.  Food costs rose by $27 (more or less) over last month's costs.   

John stopped to fill up the gas tank.  We can buy gas for 20-30c a gallon cheaper by buying in the area where our church is compared to buying here at the hometown station.  He went in for his usual cup of coffee.  He asked if I wanted something to drink.  I said, "Surprise me!"  He HATES that but he did surprise me, lol.  He brought me a Starbucks Double Shot canned coffee.  Would I have chosen that?  Not in a hundred years.  Was it good?  It tasted quite all right.  I checked the ingredients and of course, it had carrageenan in it, but I drank about half of it.  Katie finished off the other half.  Or one of the children...I have no idea who drank it, but it was gone when I picked up the can later in the afternoon.

We had a lovely time with Katie and the children here for lunch.  Next visit I hope to have all the five cousins together for a 'back to school special' dinner.  I don't think it's two weeks from now but three.  Katie's got to check her calendar to let me know for sure.

I had made up my mind the other night, as I was trying on the Stitch fix items that I was going to give one piece to Katie if she was at all interested.  The moment I picked it up from the box, I said, "Oh Katie would like this..." and having just folded her laundry I knew how very many options she'd have for wearing the piece, a kimono.   When I showed it to her today, I didn't tell her I planned to give it to her but when she saw it, she said "I really like that!"  "Oh good!  I wondered if you would like to have it..."  She was very pleased over it.  Another shirt that was just a bit big on me, I had her try on and that fit her perfectly.  So, she got that piece, too.  Again, it's something that will go with multiples of things in her wardrobe.  

After they left, I gave the kitchen a good weekly going over.  That means I remove things from counters and wipe them clean, in addition to the rest of the usual work.  Then I went on to the guest room and took down the silver-grey blackout curtains that I want to put up in John's music room.  I hung the cottage-y looking pair of curtains I made last summer at the guest room window.  I like them much better.  I think I just need to have a cottage looking pair in that room, but I do need something with a thicker lining for winter months.  I suppose if I got that nicer blind in that room that would be just right.

I went on to clean our bathroom, just the start of the week cleaning I'd typically do.   Then I sorted out my big old dresser and emptied all the drawers.  I was pleased to discover that I have a decent gift for both Taylor and Hailey for Christmas already.  I also have Jd's Christmas gift.  That's three down...I need to start my list so I can keep track.

I tossed some clothing from the house drawer that had paint or which I loathe and avoid wearing.  I folded all my clothing neatly.   Then I pulled out all my July vintage magazines and will go through those for fun this week ahead.

I'm starting late, but July is usually my Frugal bootcamp month, where I go through my frugal books and refresh my memory of things I want to incorporate in my days.   This year this is especially important to me, not just because of rising costs overall but because many old frugal recipes lurk in some of those books, and I want to make sure I pick up some of those to add into my menus.  I forgot to add that to my 'work' section on this week's planning post.

I think that's what I'll do for the next couple of hours while John is watching a Live feed that he enjoys.  

Meals:  Sausage, 'hash' browns (leftover reheated potaotes and onions), orange Danish

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Potato Salad, Fried Green Tomatoes, Mac n Cheese, Rolls, Key Lime Pie

Leftovers of Pizza and a chicken wing each

Monday: I wanted, very much, to sleep in this morning.  I didn't but I sure wanted to do so.  I crawled out of bed and dressed, ready to go to work and started before I'd had coffee.  I pared and diced the peaches that I knew John wouldn't touch because one had a lightly bruised spot on it.

I made muffins, boiled eggs, cut cheese into cubes and then packed up food and water and ice and off we headed to Katie's to do yardwork.   Today we mowed the front yard, I spread six bags of mulch and moved some landscape border into place while John trimmed trees and bushes.  I blew off the driveway, carport, front porch.  

We brought home more bricks.  Today's lot went about the Baby tree, a small turkey foot oak that volunteered and is now about two years old.  It gave me the idea that I'd really like a proper flower bed along that row once again...I don't know how many more bricks I will need.  Perhaps that will be where the landscape blocks go that aren't wanted at the town house.

I was meant to also wait on a package at Katie's that must be signed for.   I determined it was not coming today and texted Katie that I wanted to head home and get a shower.  I was dirty and sweaty and super weary.  She asked me to retrieve a couple of items from inside the house that she wanted me to bring home.   While I was headed indoors, I decided to cart out the trash to the trash can as well.  That's one task she won't have to do.

At home we did NOTHING but take showers and then collapse in our chair.  I say nothing, but I was actually retrieving recipes I'd shared on my blog in Julys past and putting them up on the companion recipe blog.    It's easy enough work to do and makes me feel I've done something...As if I needed to do more today!

I was puttering around the kitchen making supper when I recalled that John, who was in the music room playing guitar, was meant to go to a men's meeting tonight.   Funnily enough my supper tonight was enough to serve three.  I had one portion and put the rest of the food away for supper another night.

Meals:  Peach Muffins, Boiled Eggs, Cheese Cubes   I made a dozen muffins and boiled four eggs.  Good thing as the expected package is being delivered tomorrow and since we must return to wait on it, we're going to go over and do more yardwork.   The back yard needs to be mown; John says he simply must spray the fence line.  I know there are bricks and blocks in the back yard to be picked up and if all else fails, I could put more of the landscape border down.  Another hard day's work ahead.

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, Homemade Dill Pickles

Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Black Beans

When I stepped out to tell John goodbye, I found my package of fabric had been delivered.  It is not what I ordered but it works for me just the same.  Instead of Navy it is a charcoal grey stripe. I don't think the fabric is upholstery quality either.  I believe it will be okay for a slipcover though.

Tuesday:  Another long day but one of those frustrating long days as you'll soon see.   I woke around 9pm.  I was well and truly tired last night after our day.  I fell asleep in my chair after John came in and took myself off to bed shortly thereafter.  

I might have slept late but I sure didn't want to get out of bed even at that hour.  However, there was a package to be delivered at the town house that required some care, and the backyard needed to be mowed, so I packed up muffins and cheese cubes, my coffee and off I went.  John followed later in his car and brought the clippers and the weed eater.  

I sat in a chair under the carport and had my coffee while Bean, the cat, kept me company.  He demanded lots of luvs and a scoop of his cat food which he got.   Then John and I tackled the back yard.  There was much less to be done at the town house today aside from waiting on the package and we didn't work hard enough for me to be tired.  I went indoors to wait on UPS.  Yesterday they were in the neighborhood before 12noon but not today.  Today it was nearly 3pm before they came by.  Ugh.

I sat and twiddled my thumbs then decided I'd rather be doing something, anything, than sitting there waiting.  So, I loaded the dishwasher, put on a load of wash, emptied the trash, and finally picked up the children's rooms a little bit.  I didn't do so very much as it might sound but it was enough to make me feel less restless.  I left the clothes in the dryer when they were done, but at least they were washed and dried.

I got downright cold, cold enough to put a blanket around my shoulders like a shawl.  John asked me later this evening, what temperature the AC was set at in the house.  Not that we pay the bill, but because he was curious why it was so cold. "Just two degrees lower than we keep it here."  "Why is it so much colder to you?  You complained of being cold on Friday, too."  "I've no idea but it feels a lot colder."

As soon as UPS left the package, I brought it indoors and hurried home.  I picked a handful of herbs on my way in the back door and emptied another toad from the dog's water pan.  Finally, I could shower!

Supper tonight was easy enough, all things I pulled from the freezer and thawed in the oven.  While that reheated, I got the checkbook set up for the payday ahead and tithe checks ready to go out.  After supper tonight, I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher.  

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to a morning in my home so that I can tackle some of my own work.  In the afternoon I'm taking the kiddos to the library.  I'm hoping to have supper more or less at the reheat and eat stage when I leave home, so I can make a quick meal once I get back.

Meals:  Muffins, Cheese

Hot Dog for me, Fried Egg Sandwich for John

I thawed Chinese takeout and homemade fried rice and heated that through.  It tasted great but it was carb heavy.

Wednesday:  I slept in really late this morning, past 9am.  I was surprised but so glad I didn't have to rush away from home first thing this morning.  I made our breakfast.  Smartest thing I ever did was to make a few breakfast items to pop into the freezer and have on hand.  It looks like a lot more effort on my end than it really takes and yet John is always satisfied with what I put before him.  In a way, I did this as much for him as for myself.  He likes his breakfast, and he likes things for breakfast that take a little more time to prepare. I like to be really leisurely with my coffee and not fussy with breakfast, but I also like to please him.  So, taking time to make and freeze pancakes, waffles, muffins and biscuits works really well for both of us.

I told John this morning that I really didn't intend to do a whole lot today and I kept my word.  After breakfast, I made the bed.  I fed the pets and went out to the pitiful looking tomato plants to be sure nothing was eating them anymore and planted the last of my homegrown basil seeds about their base.  I'm hoping that will flourish and deter some of the pests.  I wish I had some marigold seeds.  Those are supposed to be good companion plants for tomatoes, too. 

Indoors again, I settled with the checkbook and worked up our total.  I put bills in my purse and then I showered and put on makeup for my afternoon out with the children.  I made a quick lunch and did some computer work and then I put my closet in order and got ready.  It was time to go.

All three children came with me today.  The fire department brought out their truck and though we were late, we were just in time for the part of their program where they showed off the truck, which is the most important part, right?   

It was a very short program today, but those guys were patient with the kids, weren't afraid to lift them into and out of the truck, showed them all the tools, explained and showed them how they work.  We talked about how wonderful it is that those trucks can hold up to 1000 gallons of water.  Josh said "Why?"  I was quick to point out that it was mighty helpful when you lived in the country like we do and there's no county water available.  Millie was the first of my little group of children to get on.  There were only six children there total today which was a darn shame.  



It was short but really nice and I'm glad I took the children.  The library prepared them a gift today of pillowcases with sharks and other fish on the fabric and they had bubbles and a fish shaped toy.  I'm telling you it's amazing how much of a difference there is between our little town and the county seat.  Both boys declined to check out more books, though I assured them I was more than willing to keep taking them back to the library.

I decided their treat today would be to come home with me to my house and have cookies from the cookie jar.  This suited them nicely.  It wasn't a long visit, but it filled out the time a little more.  

When I got back to their house Sam had a surprise for me.  When I'm taking all three children, he insists I use their car.   He'd removed all the oxidation from my headlights on my car and put on some product or other.  When he told me to look at my car, it was so noticeably different that I said "Oh! They look NEW."  They are so clear and bright, I thought for a moment he'd put new lights on the car!  "I figured if you have to go out in the evening to get Caleb or take him home you needed to be able to see."  How very thoughtful that was of him.

Tomorrow, we have an appointment to get a routine service done on the car.  If we're not there overlong, I hope to go do some grocery shopping.  I'm pretty sure John will balk if I say I would like to go to both Aldi and Kroger even though they are within four lanes of one another.  I'll likely do best to choose one over the other or choose Aldi and then ask him to run by Kroger on Sunday.  There are some decent sales at Kroger this week.  

This week has not been at all what I planned for it to be, lol. Not at all.  Half the tasks I'd hoped to get to will be left for Friday but I'm trying hard to take moments to do those I can squeeze into small time allotments.  Friday afternoon I'll be taking the boys out to the very last program, this time at our town's library.  I feel I've done nothing this week but throw together quick meals, done housework on the fly and waited an awfully lot on things to happen that took a long while to happen.  Oh well.   

Meals:  Blueberry Pancakes, Sausage

Hot Dogs, Potato Salad

Chicken Enchiladas, Rice, Black Beans (Monday night's supper that I put aside after remembering John's meeting at church).

Thursday:  John told me last night he wanted to leave early today.  As in, "Set your alarm..."  Ugh.  I've heard my alarm more in the past two weeks than I've heard it in months and months.  I got up shortly after it rang and I managed to get dressed, make the bed, and make breakfast.  The cat protested our leaving home without feeding her first.  She was sitting on the back porch, which I found worrying.  That's where the bird has her nest and hatchlings.   John nor I took time to go around front and feed her.  He reminded me that she's never been known to kill a bird, and that is true.

The place we use for routine maintenance had been a first come first serve place for years and then they demanded that you have an appointment for a few years.  John called yesterday to set up an appointment and they said, "It's first come, first serve!"  Well, who knew?  We went over today not knowing if we'd be up and running in an hour or sitting all day long waiting.  We carried books and I brought along a notebook and pens.  

It happened we were only there about an hour, and they were done.  I was grateful, too, that no one from the front desk came to speak to us.  The people who were ahead of us all had to have extra work done at very high pay rates.  This has been a reliable place and they don't suggest work immediately unless it's truly necessary.  Still, I'm glad that we didn't have anyone come speak to us!

I'd told John I wanted to do grocery shopping.  He wasn't pleased but we went off to Aldi.  I was a little surprised at how high produce was.  I stuck to the basics: lettuce, potatoes, celery, carrots, grapes.  I got zucchini and a small bag of cherries and some mushrooms.  I almost always try to have mushrooms on hand because they are a good source of zinc which is good for thyroid issues.  

I really didn't pick up much though the shopping cart appeared to be full enough.  The total was the truth teller though, it was about 1/2 of what it typically is.  Aside from produce the bulk of what we bought was either on very good sale or for the pantry.

I'd meant to go to Kroger, but I just knew that John had no desire to go across the street at all.  Traffic was heavy.  The skies were threatening rain.  "Maybe we will just save that for after church on Sunday," I said to him.  He looked mighty relieved.   On the way home I realized how very hungry I was.  I figured John was even hungrier since we'd eaten the same portions for breakfast.

We ran a couple of other errands, then home.  I made a fast lunch in the microwave, put away groceries, sorted out the fridge and got disgusted with the waste I found and settled in my chair for a bit.

I didn't stay there long.  I was so mindful of what I'd meant to do this week.  I'd walked into our room and bath and saw the need of the tasks I'd planned to do.  I'd had reason to go into the guest bath and bedroom today as well and there were jobs just staring at me.  I thought about what I wanted to do tomorrow and all the cleaning I wasn't going to get to and so I pushed myself to get up and get busy.

I dusted.  I polished.  I decluttered and straightened and vacuumed.  I worked on both the bedrooms and tidied both baths.  I baked breads and made soup for our supper and egg salad.  After supper, I cleaned up the dishes and then I said, "Now, I'll go to my chair."  

Some days I get a lot of satisfaction from my work.  Some days I just push through and do it anyway.  I've been sitting here planning my day tomorrow and remembered there's one last program to attend with the boys tomorrow afternoon.  I'm glad I did what I did today because I really wouldn't have had time to do it all tomorrow.

Meals: Oatmeal, Cheese Toast  Katie gave me a whole bulk lot of flavored instant oatmeal packets.  We had the Maple and Brown Sugar this morning. I thought it tasted good but the aroma lingered hard on my fingertips even after washing and this afternoon, the aroma of the seasoning was almost overwhelming.  I expect that was a migraine symptom.  There's a name for migraines without head pain but leaving one with slight dizziness and nausea and a hypersensitivity to aromas.  I can't think what it is but there is a name for it.

Burritos, chips and salsa

Creamy Potato Soup, cheese and crackers, grapes

Friday:  I've been busy this morning.  Last night, as John sniffed the air while the Oatmeal Raisin loaf was baking, he suggested it would make great toast for this morning.  I agreed but warned him that meant no bread for sandwiches unless it was also raisin bread because the other loaf would remain whole for Shabat tonight.  So, this morning I made him toast as requested.

I left the oven on, lowering the temperature to 350F because I wanted to make a Banana Poundcake today.  I haven't made on in ages upon ages.  I had three soft ripe bananas that were rather large, perfect for baking and I've had quite enough of banana nut bread and banana chocolate chip muffins.  I always make two loaves and this time I used the long loaf pan I use to bake bread as well as the more conventional meatloaf loaf pan.  I'll probably end up cutting the long loaf in half and putting two portions in the freezer.  

We stripped the bed and bath and washed those things with our handful of clothing from the end of the week.  I swept and dusted and polished the master bathroom.   Then I remade our bed and laid out fresh towels in the bathroom.  I cleared up behind making poundcake and breakfast, started a load of dishes in the dishwasher.  I didn't quite have a full load, but I wanted to wash anyway, so the gas grates were taken off the stove and filled in the gaps quite nicely, as did the big mixing bowl.  Now I can have them dry and unloaded before Shabat rather than go into Shabat with a full dishwasher.

We hung the third panel on each of the curtain rods in the living/dining areas.  I'm quite happy with the way this looks and wonder why on earth I took the third panel down in the first place!    John is well pleased with the look of the 'new' drapes in his music room, and it has considerably cooled that room which seems to catch full sun all morning and most of the afternoon.  I hope come winter, he'll find it a little warmer back there as well.  I'm happy enough with my homemade cottage curtains in the guest room.  So, this has all been worthwhile and freshened three different spaces with no money spent.

The UPS man came just as I was taking the long poundcake from the oven.  When I stepped out on the porch, I realized why the sound of the bird had been so loud.  The fledglings had left their nest and were hopping about the back porch!  I saw three.  One flew into the doghouse and sat at the back of that watching me.  One jumped off the back porch as the UPS man brought the packages up the steps.  One was hopping about under the doghouse.  I suppose this means I can use my bag of soil now...The Penta really needs to be repotted badly and I've been very patient waiting upon Miss Bird to raise her family.

UPS was delivering the only items I ordered from Prime Week.  The coffee we're currently using, has risen by about $15 in the past two months.  I like the coffee because it doesn't upset my stomach but that means I'm now paying about 39c a cup where we were paying 24c a cup.   I have this on an auto ship subscription but when I was trolling through the sales, I discovered our coffee was on sale on Prime Day for 29c a cup!  I ordered three boxes and saved $10 per box over subscription price.   Then Fetch rewards sent out a notice that there were Prime Day deals on Pepsi/Lays products.  I went to look more out of curiosity than anything.   There I discovered that a chip brand we like but find rarely (Miss Vickie's) had a snack box where the bags were full size snack bags at 50c each.  I ordered a box of those.   They will last for quite a while.   This was strictly a splurge purchase, as Aldi still has the best buy on chips around, but I like that these are pre-portioned and the brand they are.

Now I really must stop writing and plan out weekend meals, as well as pulling things out to thaw.  This afternoon I'm taking the boys to their last library program for the summer.  I'll want an easy supper when I return.  I don't want a fussy meal for tomorrow either.   I think I'd like to make a roast chicken which is always a yummy meal.  It will take a long while for the chicken to thaw, even left sitting out at room temperature.

I'll end here and go get that attended to and try and figure out what is for lunch.  

One last note. I'd promised Anne especially that I'd include an Amazon Link in each post and completely forgot them for two weeks...Ugh.  My memory has been off the past two weeks at least.  It's partly a nutritional thing and partly just being so busy overall with so many other things than usual.  Anyway, I went back and amended the old posts that went out without a link, made sure to include one on any pre-scheduled posts and on this one.  

The week has gone by so quickly!  How was your week?

Amazon Associate Affiliate Link

3 comments:

Lana said...

The firetruck is always the best day ever for the kids! UPS doesn't get here until around 8 PM most days and that is great for those who work. One of our tomato plants was hit and the top eaten this week, too. Now we must be vigilant.

I got a Tom's toothpaste deal and birthday gifts for our granddaughter on Prime Day. Also Kohl's had free shipping so I clicked over there and found that I had left 4 long sleeve tees in my cart that the price had dropped to 3.05 each. These will be great for fall.

We did breakfast foods for the freezer, too. We put in a batch of biscuits and 12 big bagel sandwiches with egg, meat and cheese. Cost of the 12 bagel sandwiches was around $8. We canned 6 pints of dry beans. Discount grocery find was a whole case of Grands cinnamon rolls for 8.99 or .75 a can. These will supply small group for many weeks. Ingles had some great deals that Hubby went for this morning.

Anne said...

I so appreciate your remembering the Amazon link, we do a lot of shopping through them, and when I couldn't find a link the last couple of times, I told myself I wouldn't nag you any more. Sheesh, my husband should get such a good deal.

Also, whenever I read your weekly journal, I get sooooooo hungry. You make such an incredible variety of foods that I just salivate. I don't have your talent in that area, and also for the last three months I have been dieting pretty faithfully. We are really trying to cut back on sugar. I have only lost eight pounds, partly because at my age it is so difficult and partly because I would not do any real exercise if someone held a shotgun to my head.

However, I'm pretty dang proud of that eight pounds. We leave for Hawaii on Monday and I'm sort of planning to eat myself into a coma.

terricheney said...

Lana, the children did enjoy the firetruck but it was a very short program. I wish the library had done a lead in or follow up to the firemen visiting and shared books that dealt with the firetruck etc. Oh well. They enjoyed it. I got a call from the library in Manchester (home site for our region) and both Josh and Millie won extra prizes in a name drawing this week. I go pick up their items on Friday. I wish that Isaac had won something but nothing for him. He didn't get a thing all summer long.

Anne, I love to cook and love planning meals and love eating them, lol. I can work all day long, even mowing the yard but I will NOT exercise. It's pointless as far as I'm concerned.

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder