July Grocery Challenge Week IV/Final Thoughts



July 23-31
Monday:  breakfast-John: Scrambled cheese eggs with turkey bacon, toast
me: boiled egg toast 1/3 of an orange
John work lunch: Sliced deli roasted chicken breast, homemade potato salad, fig bars, cottage cheese and pineapple, wheat crackers
dinner: Roast deli chicken breast, potato salad, fried green tomato*
supper:  soda, 1/2 peanut butter jelly sandwich, grapes, fig bar, coffee
snack: milk, fig bars, cashews

Tuesday:  breakfast-John: peanut butter toast, coffee
me: toast with cream cheese
John work lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grapes, honey roasted peanuts, celery
dinner: Small piece of chicken breast, frozen Rice and Bean enchiladas
supper:  chicken livers, 1/2 biscuit, potato salad (all leftovers)
snack: soda, nachos

Wednesday:  breakfast: John's treat of breakfast sandwiches from the country store
dinner:  Roast beef/Swiss/Lettuce/Tomato sandwiches on onion rolls, chips, orange sherbert
supper:  Chicken-tortellini-Salad, Italian bread, grapes

Thursday: breakfast eggs, toast, sausage
lunch: burgers from local diner
supper:

Friday: breakfast: peanut butter toast with peaches
lunch: out with Mama her treat
John: turkey and lettuce sandwiches, chips, grapes
supper: leftovers from lunch
John: leftovers from my lunch, too!

Saturday:  breakfast: cream cheese and bagels
Dinner: Spaghetti a la Diable, salad with carrot and zucchini, Italian bread
supper:  Cubed steak sandwiches, peaches

Sunday: breakfast: cold cereal, peaches, toast
dinner: roast beef, wild rice, zucchini au gratin
supper:


*oranges $2.43 (for 2!){now you know why I ate only 1/3, lol}
* green tomatoes $2.00 (used 1/2 of one)
soda $2.99
grapes $4.23
cheese $2.50
cashews $2.79
milk $1.00
bread $1.29
orange sherbert $1.79
onion rolls $1
roast beef $2.99
Swiss cheese $1.99
Doritos $2.00
Bagels $1.19
Zucchini $1.78
peaches $5.00
wild rice $.69
$37.66 with lots of leftovers

Monday:  Breakfast: peach pancakes, sausage
Lunch: turkey and Swiss sandwiches, grapes, fig bars
Supper:  Roast Beef Hash, Salad, Cheesy bread, Orange sherbert with peaches

Tuesday: sausage, fried eggs, toast
lunch: out with John from entertainment fund money
supper: bagel and cream cheese, peach

turkey luncheon meat $3.29
bread $1.29
1/2 pack all beef Polska Kielbasa $1.50
$6.08

I confess I am very disheartened to see these figures this week.  I'm tempted to  say all around the challenge was a bust this year for one reason and another.  But...

I managed to save some money towards vacation the first week...and the second week when we had company I had to pull it out and use it to help defray the extra costs.  I didn't have a savings this past pay period due to that spending I did just prior to the third week when the one store had such great sales on items that were missing in the pantry.  I can't say there were NO savings, just the savings meant to be used for vacation went to other food requirements. 

The total amount saved/used was about $174, not an amount to be sneezed at by any means. I remind myself now that this would have been OVERAGE had it not been for the savings I did manage.

I am out of many things in my kitchen.  Our meat stock is low, quite low.  I look forward this next pay period to going to meat market and restocking.  I am pleased however that we managed to make it through an extra month without going to the meat market at all.  That too was a savings, not entirely included in the amount above.  I was able, thanks to our freezer stock, to replenish a few of the outages.

I don't know, truly I don't, if given the cost of food now compared to the same time period last year, $25 per person is even possible.   That said I decided to average what I spent overall for the month, including company meals and divided this by 4.  My figure at that point was $54.56, which is just $18.24 over what I intended to spend for the month.  In which case I am not quite so downhearted!lol  Perspective in all things, right? 

I think, truly that if I do this challenge next year I will change the rules slightly.  While I stuck hard to the usage of what was already on hand and added in only those things which I actually purchased to use this month, next year I'd like to try to actively purchase food strictly for use and not count on my stockpiled foods.  I believe that would really put the challenge to a test!  Second, I would like to increase slightly the amount per person per week.  But that is July 2013 we're discussing, so I'll make no further plans until then.

As a closure for this month, here are the government's figures for recommended spending for food as of June 2012.  I find that mine and John's expenses land us right in the middle between Low cost and Moderate spending.  I can live with that figure, since we do not grow any of our own food at all. And knowing this will help me to relax a little on my vigilance.

I discovered during this challenge month that John is less adamant than I about our current budget.  He made it plain during week 3 that he wanted what he wanted and was less concerned about what was spent.  Mind you he is not a particularly demanding person.  His wants are very modest if sometimes a bit out of my current budget range.  I've agreed to compromise: we'll limit snacks for OUR sakes, not the budget's, but I will buy to suit his desire.  So if he decides he wants a big huge steak I'll buy him a big huge steak.  If he wants a certain type of cookie rather than homemade and it isn't on sale, I'll buy it.  I know that he isn't likely to ask for me to treat these sorts of wants twice a month and would never request it weekly. I'll even go so far as to say I'll even give in to my own wants now and then, too.   Truly I have to agree with what he said to me during that third week when we discussed that treat he wanted:  "If we're so bad off that $5 extra is going to make us go belly up, then say so.  Otherwise, let's just relax, okay?"  Well he's right.  So I'll relax.

Now on to August!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Friday: Savings At Home

Frugal Friday: Upside Right

Eating on a Tight Budget: Mother Hubbard's Cupboard, Final Post