A Week of Wardrobe: Capsule Style


Week one of a Capsule Wardrobe is easy enough.  I mean, it's just one week of wearing the same pieces over again...I'm curious to see how it goes on from here!

The photos are poor ones and I apologize.  I had a hard time getting the camera to focus properly and at the same time to show you the full outfit.   The camera often blocked details I wanted you to see.   I don't have a proper full length mirror in the house, so am relegated to using the long mirror above the tub (which is a rather stupid place for a mirror if you ask me...).





I've taken two shots of Outfit #1.  I wanted to show how wide the sleeves are and the ruffle detail which really gets lost in the waistline area when my arms are down.



The third shot shows the necklace I wore with the outfit.  It's a long necklace (bought at Kohl's several years ago) but it hit at the waist...Exactly where I did NOT need more detail, so I doubled it and wore it higher on the chest.



I just slipped on flipflops this day.  We were driving down to pick up the check and we stay in the car at the bank and post office.  But we did end up going into the grocery when we got back to town so I'm happy I made some effort.

I was looking more closely at the pattern detail on the ride home and noted that there is also grey and black in this print.  I'll certainly try it with the black pants and perhaps use my steel grey beaded necklace with it.


I've only taken one photo of Outfit #2.

I think John must have dried this shirt in the dryer.  I don't know why it's always the good shirts he tosses in the dryer and the stained around the house ones that seem to get hung.  Again I remind myself it might just be worthwhile to do my own laundry when it comes to my nicer pieces and certainly preferable to fussing at a man who does laundry, lol.

I used the brown/green/gold necklace with this outfit and wore calf sandals and used my calf bag.  I wore this outfit on a day of running Katie from doctor to labs and back to her friend's house which is just 10 minutes from the hospital so she was nearer by than she would have been at home.

As I was getting dressed I noted I have a long narrow scarf that is navy which has aqua blue, brown and sage dots.   That addition would lend itself well to the same pieces with the denim jacket.


Outfit #3 this week...I actually wore the shirt with a tank under for added warmth but didn't carry the shawl with me after all.  I admit my big goal this day was merely to be comfortable.  I note now that my necklace just blends in too well with the top...I'll have to try something with more contrast next time I wear this.


I really like this shawl.  It's a nice big square and so soft.  I wish I had carried it along because it was cool in the rooms and even cooler on the ride home.



I wore this on a visit to Katie at the hospital and we went into several stores.  I had olive pants, the mustard gold Lulu Roe top and the hunt scarf on this day.  This wears well, very comfortable.  I had a taupe suede pointed toe flat on this day (and boy did they hurt my feet!) and felt I looked quite well.

I won't post more of these sorts of photos because honestly?  I feel comfortable, I'm told I look well, but I hate the way I look in photos.  It's not helped by my poor photography skills either and the poor lighting.  But you have a better idea of my key pieces even though I didn't wear the black jeans at all this week.

I plan to at least try wearing just these pieces through November so that I can  determine what works best and why.  Hope you all enjoy this view!

12 comments:

lonibelle said...

I found this very inspirational. I am not much of one for clothes, and I just skip most articles on them. But, I have been thinking of the capsule thing for a while, and seeing a real person do it is very interesting.

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing! Your outfits are lovely. I hadn't thought that I would like a mustard color, but it looks really good on you.

terricheney said...

Lonibelle than I'm glad I went ahead and shared, lol. I came very close to scrapping this post...but I do think a capsule type wardrobe is going to be what I try to build. We only really have two seasons here, which is HOT and NOT, but for my own personal satisfaction I think a quarterly switch would work best to keep me from being bored.

Kathy, thank you. Mustard is a hard color but it does suit ME...I also love a yellowy green color. One of the benefits of being dark haired, lol.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the photos and putting yourself out there for us!
I really like the first top. It's girly and I like that. I'm all for simple blouses (I wear t-shirts a lot), so the next two outfits would definitely both be a go-to for me.
I'm with everyone else on liking that mustard top on you!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

It was interesting to see your capsule wardrobe. All of your outfits are pretty. I thought that the mustard top and the purple top looked extra nice with your hair and skin tone. I love your necklaces and scarves, too.

Not sure how I'd do with a capsule wardrobe. I've never given it any thought until now.

I am possibly the only woman in the USA who does not like jeans for myself. Denim pants with their stiff fabric and seams irritate my skin and make me feel fidgety. I do not own a single pair. I even hated wearing denim when I was a teenager, but forced myself to, because everyone else was.

I have an easy time choosing slacks to wear. I have either black ones or navy blue, in different leg styles slim, or straight. I do like having a big choice of blouses and sweaters, and rarely donate any of them. When they look worn or stained I wear them around the house, until I throw them away.
Many of the old tops I wear around the house are far better quality than any I find to buy anymore.

You looked nice in the pictures, and it was fun seeing how you put your outfits together with various accessories. I have almost a phobia of being caught in family holiday photos that are later posted on Facebook (not posted by me), so I understand where you are coming from about posting pics. That being said, it was almost like visiting in person with you on this post, and it was nice to see the person behind the blog. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

Susie D.

Stephanie said...

The cut and color of that mustard top suit you perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Terri. Thanks so much for the photos to illustrate how the outfits work in real life. They are all lovely combinations! I agree with Tammy about the first blouse. It's my favorite...probably due to my love of romantic looking clothes (not that I wear them that much, but I still love the look haha) It's so clever to do this. When I was in high school I would make a menu of outfits to wear each day of the week (sometimes 2) because it was considered socially unacceptable to repeat the same outfit haha!
Well my friend...I am off now to start my day but wanted to finish catching up this morning...with my cup of coffee in hand!
Much love,
Tracey
x0x

terricheney said...

Thank you all. I said I'd not do more but when I dressed this morning I was so pleased with how my outfit came together I took a photo to share, lol. I know too well that I am not a thin woman, nor a young one but I was sure this was an idea that might appeal to others as it has to me.

Susie you might check out jeans once again. Many are now woven with softer less heavy threads, some spandex and stuff. They are quite comfortable, however if it's not your style it's not and that's the way it ought to be. I hadn't worn jeans in 35 years or more but gave in to John's urging about 5 years ago to get some and I've worn them since, lol.

Check out The Vivienne files for more capsule wardrobe ideas. She starts with a scarf...I think you'll like the site.

Anonymous said...

Great outfits! I'm inspired and have started pulling all the clothes that I don't and won't wear out of my closet. Now, I can actually see what pieces I need to shop for to complete the capsule. Thanks for the awesome posts!
Susanmarie in Pacific Northwest

Anonymous said...

Terri, You are just asking to be kidnapped and brought to my house and locked in the room with my clothes and be forced to pick me out outfits! LOL. That would be so fun, for me! I stopped at a S A in a nearby town, and got 2 aqua sweaters and another aqua top, I very seldom wear that color butvam getting compliments. I went back again, and found some pretty grey, some brown in 2 colors that go well with all the aqua all for less than 20$. I think I have a whole other place to shop, except I have a whole closet full, some very old because things just dont want to wear out. I have 2 daughters that buy jewelry but in whatever colors. I think I need to look for more scarves! The baby is so sweet. Great pic Katie posted with Grampa! I have a precious one of my mom and littlest one like that.



terricheney said...

Susanmarie, the FIRST place to start is to free the closet space of what you don't want/like/or need. I haven't had to do as much going out this week but I know pretty much what I've got and how I'd wear it and that's made getting ready even easier than I thought the capsule wardrobe might make it.

Dora, you come on and kidnap me for a bit..>I could use the vacation and I'd love to help you! So glad that you got a new color and are happy with what you have. Scarves are really nice for setting an outfit apart. I combined a scarf and a necklace the other day and felt so chic...I'll be sharing that outfit soon.
All your old clothes are now 'retro vintage' and the runways are just slap full of 80's and 90's clothing styled into fashion conscious outfits once more...If they fit, USE them if you like them.

Anonymous said...

Terri, oh what fun that would be! My clothes are pretty much the same boring style they have been. LOL. Today on a f b gal I watch had used a Dollar Tree scarf with a ,50 cent thrift store top and got a lot of compliments on her picture. I needed some new winter outdoor scarves and picked up 3 at Dollar Tree but I think I can wear then like she was. She had made into infinity scarves something I never would have thought of. I have done that with regular scarves. A new look for an old scarf. I am a whole 5 foot tall so us tall gals sometimes have problems. LOL. Think you could sneak Katie and those 3 little boys to? Gramma D