Worth Sharing This Week: November 30 - December 6



Well technically it's the tail end of November and December's head but mostly it shall be December this week, so I'll say "It's December!" with all the joy a child must have when it knows that Christmas is nearer than ever.

I've begun my decorating.  I'll likely share in a separate post early next week as my goal is to get it all done this week since we're having Family Holiday this weekend.  John is working Christmas Eve, which means he's coming in from a long shift on Christmas Day and while I expect we'll have a small family day it won't be the big long weekend holiday we enjoy.  So we're having our children and grandchildren here this weekend.

As early as Thursday night (Thanksgiving) I was finding things I thought would be nice to share this week and I'm excited to get this post sent out.





It was a stumble upon for me that I found Christmas Carols up on my list at YouTube Thursday evening.  This beautiful rendition of Wexford Carol by Alison Krause and Yoyo Ma blew me away.  No surprise that an old English air so suits a voice that usually sings Blue Grass...There's a lot of British roots in the Appalachian range and that's where Blue Grass has it's roots.

This instrumental of O Come, O Come Emmanuel is so hauntingly lovely a song. Perhaps as powerful as the rendition with lyrics.   I listened to a great many of the oldest Christmas Carols that night and such a powerful spiritual experience it is to lie in the dark and really listen to those words written long ago.  It's like a candle shining in the darkness to realize that those words are just as true today for those of faith as they were ages ago.



From @Sally.Clarkson  "Instead of living in a state of constant comparison that will only bring us insecurity and self-doubt, we must strive to live in a place of thankfulness for all the things that God has given us.  It is here our souls will find peace."

Anyone remember the Tim Burton film, Edward Scissorhands?  Well I was born with a measuring stick that constantly shot out to see how I measured up against others.  Needless to say I was always falling short in my estimation and it took me many years to realize how desperately I needed to learn to just accept that my talents and appearance are uniquely mine.



Another YouTube stumble upon  was Pretty.Simple.Sherri who does all sorts of Pottery Barn knock-offs.  She does a really good job of making thrift and dollar store finds look as pretty and expensive as Pottery Barn.

And just in case you'd like your own lot of inspiration here's the Pottery Barn Holiday décor section to look over.


Joy Clarkson's writing is absolutely lovely to me, always thought provoking.  Her offering this week of "Yes, And" about taking the unexpected things that happen in life and moving with them spoke volumes to me.  I often rant about the unexpected but will also be the first to tell you, after the shock has worn off, why it was a lovely interruption and what I'd learned.  Sometimes, admittedly it takes several "yes, and..." moments before I finally grab hold of the purpose of them.  Go.  Enjoy.



Lanier Ivester hasn't written on her blog in a year...but thanksgiving week she put up a new post.  I'd love to have more of her writing to read through but I do understand when she says 'the year was intensely full'...Just so was my own.


"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of  more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."  Thomas More


Would you like to follow along with an advent reading?  Mustard Seed Conspiracy has a lovely one you may sign up for via email.  I signed up on their Instagram account.  You can read the first post (Advent posts officially begins on Sunday), hence my sending this out so early this week because I want you all to have time to join in if you'd care to do so.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing with us such lovely things. I look forward to checking them out.

Anne said...

Oh Terri, unfortunately I think most of us were born with that measuring stick.

I have very good health, a wonderful husband, plenty of retirement money and yet much of my time I am obsessed and angry about my estranged son. I struggle with those thoughts every day.

Anonymous said...

More enchanting links and lovely thoughts. Especially enjoying the Alison Kraus music
Thank you so much.
Much love,
Tracey
Xox