The Week Ahead: Prepping, Playing and Enjoying Fall



I have a family weekend coming up next Saturday and I want to get a few things done to prepare for that.  But I don't want to come to the weekend worn slap out, either.   I've planned my menus and will do a little bit of prep every day so I don't have a lot of last minute things to do.  Let's just skip the chatter and go right to making my list of tasks for the week.


Work:

Several of the dishes I've planned for the main event, a family gathering, can easily be made ahead.   So I'm going to start those early this week and then save those that need to be prepped nearer the day for later in the week.

One thing I want to do is to take out my turkey breast to thaw slowly.  I'll likely cook that on Friday.  As usual I've no idea when my son is planning to arrive.  Past experience has taught me that if I ask him to come on Saturday he'll not be here until mid-afternoon.  However, having them arrive on Friday means I must plan extra time into my day so that I can prepare a breakfast and clear up behind before proceeding with the cooking that must be done that day.  As well, I have to have plans for a supper just in case they don't stop on the way up to get something.  

Call Jd and firm up plans so I know what to expect.

While I will be offering Sandwich makings most everything is going to be finger foods.  Kids can graze and it seems to lend a party atmosphere to the day.   I think I've planned good food that is both economical and will stretch into other things if all isn't eaten.

I want to get the guest room cleared up and have fresh bed linens laid out for the children, etc.   Fortunately the guest room isn't a big mess.  I need to put the pack n play in our room by end of the week, so that littles can nap in there on Saturday.  And I'll want to get all necessary pantry items into the kitchen before the family who will be spending the weekend arrives.  I hate to invade a space I've set up for guests.  I want them to feel they have a place where they might retreat.

Bring out the folding chairs from the shed and get them cleaned up.

Plan tables, table settings, chair at each table, etc.  

I didn't get to work in Zone 2 last week at all.  I don't have a great deal I'd planned to do but there are a few knick knacks I've meant to remove and put away that were excess and to dust lightly.  I don't need to deep dust this month.

Zone 3 work is bedrooms and I'll concentrate most of my effort on the guest room and bath to insure they are both ready for guests.  

I'll have to ask John to get his music room cleared up enough to bed down the children.   Each time we do this I think how nice it would be to have a futon that turns into a double bed in his music room but ultimately we have guests rarely and it is his room not mine to decorate.  I suppose if the kids ever get big enough they object to sleeping on the floor we could make arrangements for the family to stay in the hotel in town.

I'll want a break from all the indoor work so I'll blow leaves, weed the flower beds, try to arrange the few pots of pretty flowers so they are visible instead of tucked away and move the pots that are spent but which I don't want to disturb.   I'll give the outdoor furnishings one last wipe down on Friday.

I want to run into town this week as well  I need some things for Christmas décor, want to get a kid friendly cereal for the grandkids that will be here for breakfast and pick up whatever else I might need to get through the week.

I need to plan a day out with Mama this week, on top of all else.  I guess I'm postponing dinner out with John for a second time.  Perhaps we can go out the first week of December...

And of course, I'll do all the routine meals and cleaning.

Kitchen:

Lots of work in the kitchen this week between routine meal prep and family weekend preparations.  I have to be mindful of fridge space and the fact that there is no freezer room, so a good bit of planning must go on.  I also need to assemble storage pieces for those things I will prepare ahead and I'll have to be right on top of leftovers because there's no room for leftovers in my life this week!  Not with all else that will need to be placed in the fridge.

I've already started a Gathering Fragments post to help me plan out and use whatever bits we find we need to use as the week goes on.

Cheesy Cracker Chicken,  Mashed Potatoes, Salad

Chicken Pot Stickers, Fried Rice, Steamed Broccoli  

Black Bean Soup, Cornbread, Pineapple Salad

Tortilla Tower, Corn, Salad

Chicken Pot Pie, Fried Okra, Pear Salad  And that's the last of the chicken.  I'm over budget this month but I'll watch for a good sale on Chicken.  

Pot Roast with Vegetables, Green Salad, Biscuits

Mac and Cheese, Big Salad  

Leisure:



I have so much to do that it's hard to even think of leisure but I promise myself that I'm going to take my leisure every day this week.  

I'll keep right on reading my books.  I'm currently moving back and forth between Adler's Everlasting Feast and Sonia Choquette's  Walking Home.

I will take coffee each afternoon on the back porch.  I won't do anything while I'm drinking my coffee but rock and soak up the sun and relax.

I'll lay down for 15 minutes every day, just to relax tired muscles and stretch.

I won't feel guilty for the things I don't get done.  I must be nice to myself this week above all else.

3 comments:

Lana said...

When our kids were growing up my Mom and Dad had a bunch of twin size airbeds for the grandchildren. They loved having their own beds to put where they wanted to sleep. The most coveted place was under the huge dining room table that could seat sixteen. They took very little space to store and Dad had a pump to blow them up quickly. Enjoy your family day!!

Deanna said...

The time spent with coffee and resting sounds refreshing. Something we all need to stay well.
Enjoyed visiting your blog today,
d

Shirley in Washington said...

Praying your family day goes very, very well! And lots of fond memories are made! Even with the restrictions in our state we are heading to our daughter's house for Thanksgiving and to welcome a brand new granddaughter. Blessings, Shirley