Gathered Fragments: Last Week of September

 

Grits

Roast with plenty of broth I just put half this in the freezer as a future entree.

A few mashed potatoes

Some green beans 


The usual weekend leftovers of pizza  

A single serve of chicken pot pie

2 pigs in blankets

2 BBQ brisket sandwiches (why John wanted to buy two each I don't know!  I truly think he was just that hungry at the time).  

Some tomatoes I think might have been frozen when they got pushed to the back of the fridge.  

Half a can of pineapple slices  

A heel end of bread large enough to make croutons  

Most of a jar of Marinara.  

Tortillas, low carb and regular

Yogurt Whey  

Spinach Dip

1/2 cup of sausage rice stuffing (from last week's stuffed Acorn squash)

1.5 cups of leftover brown rice

Most of  a can of spaghetti and meatballs (Caleb's meal one day with the green beans)

Most of a can of fruit cocktail.

I also have in my fruit bowl some oranges that really ought to be used asap.  I had to toss three on Saturday that I thought I was going to salvage.

1 jar of Apricot jam that I have yet to use, expired

Marshmallows, the S'mores size

1/2 head of Cauliflower  

2 slices bacon

6 ounces turkey Spam

Both of my freezers are fully packed once again.  And Katie is bringing me soup that she made so there's that to consider...Now to see what I can do to give myself some room.   

Menus this week:

Pepperoni Pizza, hence the pizza leftovers.  

Roast Beef with Mashed Potato Cakes, Green Beans

Chicken Fried Rice* (combining all the leftover rice and a variety of vegetables), Egg rolls, Oranges* and Pineapple* Ambrosia.     I think I can split one large boneless skinless chicken breast to make this meal and the next one.

Chicken Tamale Pie* (recipe calls for cornmeal mush, I'm subbing in grits*), Salad, Kidney Beans

Smoked Sausage, Cabbage, Pierogi with Caramelized Onions

Meatloaf, Scalloped Potatoes, Green Peas

Steak, Roasted Cauliflower*, Salad

Ideas for the rest of the foods:  lunches: pizza, chicken pot pie and pigs in blankets.   I'm not sure yet what I shall do with the brisket sandwiches.  I'm tempted to put them in the freezer.  I'm not sure what I shall do with the tortillas but there's no hurry to use them up.  I may make Quesadilla for lunch one day.  Caleb likes those.  I've bought vegan cheese for him to eat.

I'd like to make a cookie or cake or something and use the apricot jam.  I could do filled bar cookies...

The spaghetti meatballs will make another meal for Caleb.

I will save the marinara sauce to make pizza over the weekend.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Mmm, love pierogi! Every time you mention using sausages, I plan to fix them and other things happen. We had a pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions for the Sabbath. I added some more broth and peas and basically had a stew today for lunch. Meatloaf and scalloped potatoes sounds good too. We decided to pull up what we thought were non-producing green beans and found enough on the vines for a good mess. That will be part of lunch tomorrow.

Anne said...

This is the biggest food waste week I've had in a long time. First, I had purchased four of one of my favorite yogurts. I dove into one two days ago and for some reason I didn't like the taste and put back half the carton in the refrigerator. I finally threw it away and now have to thin:k of something to do with the rest. Also, had a couple of tablespoons of green beans that had to go.

But my biggest fail was about four total meals of mystery meat. Mid week I took out several packages of frozen leftovers to use up in the next few days, including, what I thought was sliced ham. On Thursday husband came down with a bad toothache and could eat very little. On Friday, we got him into the dentist who had to pull the tooth and said he will need two partials. (I guess I will insert here that the total bill will be $4100. Good thing we're frugal. :( . ) In any case he pretty much could only do "medical" ice cream for two days and then really soft foods. By the time I thought he could chew meat I was uncomfortable about its age, so I tossed it. Upon closer look, I think it was actually turkey.

Life happens!

Shirley in Washington said...

I think of you often when I am pulling bits and dabs out of the fridge! I ask myself "What would Terri do with this??" I am certainly not as creative as you are with leftovers but I am trying to do better. Blessings, Shirley

Shirley in Washington said...

I hope all is going well with Caleb this week!

Anne said...

Feel free to show more pictures of that adorable Caleb.

terricheney said...

Donna meant to tell you I'll try to find a link to the pot roast braised with cherries. It's really nice and when I don't have cherries I sub in dried unsweetened cranberries which is equally as good.

I love Pierogi too!

Dear Anne, all of us have weeks where things go kaput and we have waste I certainly don't consider myself an all time pro at this but considering the amount of food I threw out every two or three weeks once upon a time, I'm satisfied with my successes!
OW OW OW on the dental bill....Goodness I do realize it's important but I truly never thought I'd come to a day when dental work cost as much as an inpatient procedure used to cost.

Shirley that is a high compliment. Thank you! I'm glad to know I inspire you.

Anne and Shirley if I have time to get any pictures that aren't blurred of Caleb I'll be sure and share. He's pretty much in constant motion, lol.