The Homemaker Plans Her Week: A Busy Week

 


Although we put off our Friday work until later in the day, I'm glad we took time to get out of the house for a while.  We have a busy weekend behind us.    I had five grandchildren and one bonus grand plus Katie and Cody here most of Saturday.  Then on Sunday, it was two grands and a bonus grand with Katie and Cody here.  It got very loud and noisy.


I had a lovely Mother's Day.  I heard from Jd and Amie both, had a lovely card from Bess and Sam and the children who combined efforts to wish me a happy day, Katie and Cody came and grilled hot dogs for luncheon and then we went over to visit Mama and took her flowers and a card.  It was jam-packed...and I am tired.

My job, for the week ahead is to get through it, hopefully, while remaining cool, calm, and collected.  

Prayers said...Let's start the week!

Work:



I'm pretending I'm doing Zone work this month.  I am touching on a few things here and there but the truth is that by the time I spend time outdoors, get meals and clean-up and housework done, I'm worn out!  Never mind.  I'm going to do my best to do something in the Zones each week even if I'm not fully working the Flylady routines.

Zone 3 The Bedroom and One Other Room  The Guest Room and Guest Bath.  The one room in the house where I do not clean is John's music room.  He tackles that occasionally himself when the mess bothers him.  

I have recently cleaned out the small armoire that was formerly in the kitchen which moved to the guest room after the kitchen renovation and given it to Katie.  This frees up a little floor space so  I can consider rearranging the room again, though there is little to arrange.  My second oldest granddaughter will be coming in to visit sometime in June with a schoolmate and I want the room to be comfortable for them.  Right now the room looks okay.  

The toy box is in the room and can be closed so they can put luggage on top of that.  I would like to find a small table to go next to the chair I have in the room and a mirror to hang above the old sewing machine.  Someone mentioned putting a doily or dresser cloth on the sewing machine to hide the damaged wood and I will do that.  I also want to find lamps to go in the room.  A small bookcase where I might place books would allow me to unpack the books I mean to keep.  If I push hard, maybe John will move the other boxes of books to the car trunk and I can donate them.

I'm not sure what day I'm going to shop for these items but it will be thrifted pieces, or possibly an antique store find.  It must be super affordable though.

Plant the Salvia and Impatiens.  

Work on the flower bed in front of the back porch.  This is going to be a tedious job of pruning weeding and mulching.  Pretty comes later.  Not sure I will get all of this outdoor work done this week. 

Kitchen:



The bagels I made were something of a hit with John.  And the banana cake I thought was so-so, was a hit with the family on Saturday.  I may have to rethink that recipe.  

This week I plan to make a Blueberry Cobbler and burger buns for sloppy joes and to put in the freezer.  

I want to make a coffee cake.  I haven't made one in ages and I do like them now and then.

Sort the fridge out properly.  I haven't done that in a few weeks.  I also need to deal with all the produce I have in the fridge.

Meals: 



Pizza.   Pepperoni pizza for the kids.  

Grilled Hot Dogs, Slaw, Baked Beans, Chips.  Katie and Cody brought hot dogs, buns, and chips.  I had a small portion of cabbage and made cole slaw.  I opened a can of baked beans and added seasonings to them.  Leftovers of everything went home with them for their supper tonight.

Tuna Pasta Salad, Saltines, Blueberry Cobbler.  While I have fresh peppers on hand, I'll try to get a bowl of our favorite pasta salad made.  

Kung Pao Chicken, Rice, Broccoli, Orange Slices.  I found this recipe online and it has red and green peppers in it.  I have plenty of fresh peppers just now.

Hash Brown Casserole, Salad, Mayonnaise Muffins

Steak, Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad, Baked Potatoes

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes, Fries


Personal/Leisure:



I did well with self-care last week.  I took better care of my skin, my body and took time to wear a little makeup.  I found a happy medium with my haircut, too.  I'm feeling a little better about myself.  This week I'm going to find houseclothes that make me feel good.  Ugly clothes do not make for a happy woman.

I continue to read The Vicar of Wakefield, The Scent of Water, and A Faith Worth Finding.  I also have Perfect English by my chair so I can look through it and read.

I took time out last week to read and color each evening and I felt so much more relaxed.  I think I'll try a repeat of that this week, as well.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Glad you had a good Mother's Day. I can see why you are tired! It's good that Katie and Cody did the cooking on the grill. Nothing like grilled food eaten outdoors.

"Ugly clothes do not make for a happy woman." Truer words never spoken!

Karla said...

So glad you had a good Mother's Day. Also glad to see you kept up with caring for yourself. I need to get myself back in routine now that we are back home from vacation. I think a bit of night-time stretching before bed would benefit me so I plan to look for a very small inexpensive "smart" tv for my Spare Oom where I can do a bit of yoga in the evenings.

Deanna said...

It sounds like a nice Mother's Day. We were in New Orleans but I did hear from all my kiddos and had received gifts before we left.

Do you have the coffee cake recipe on your other blog? That sounds good to me, too. And if you'd like a really good banana cake recipe I have one on my blog. While everyone else was making banana bread early in the pandemic, I was making banana cake - ha!