This Week In My Home: Family Time


My oldest son and his two boys came up this weekend to spend time with Grampa...Gramma pulled meal duty for two meals.  Grampa took care of breakfast and our son provided supper for us one night.  I won't say it was hard, but I can't tell you it was easy either.  Guys are guys are guys if they are 60 or 3 and I mean that sincerely.  Everyone happily did whatever I asked, but asking was key.
I've survived it...and good thing as there is family coming in mid-week and next weekend as well.  My family is anxious to see me, to make sure for themselves that I really am okay.  Well I am.  I am slowly building up my strength and still taking it fairly easy.

Meals were kept simple as could be this weekend.  Now it's time to plan for the week ahead.

Hamburger, Corn on the Cob, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Potato Salad and Strawberries with Sugar free angel food cake
I skipped the bun, measured out half a cup of potato salad, and had half an ear of corn.  The strawberries were fresh and sweet, just the way God made them and they were delicious.  I kept carbs low this meal on purpose since I knew I would be having the cake. The package said a serving size was one-fifth the cake.  I shook my head and said, No way.  I cut the cake into 12 pieces which seemed more reasonable to me.  It also cut the carbohydrates per serving in half.



Turkey Almond, Brown Rice, Steamed Broccoli with lemon
I had a bit of turkey left and this is as good a way as any to use it up.  I need to feed the boys.  Fortunately it's inexpensive enough to make. Just celery and onions and turkey in a very light soy based sauce.  I'll sprinkle almonds over the dish when I serve.

Oven 'Fried' Chicken, Black Eye Peas, 'Fried' Green Tomato, Leftover Corn (for John)
Mama sent out black eye peas last week and I'm anxious to have some of those fresh peas.  I like to chop a bit of Vidalia sweet onion over the top when I serve them.  The oven fried chicken will have no flour but I plan to cook it with cooking spray on to crisp the skin.  The tomatoes will go in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil, just barely enough to brown the slices.

Ropa Vieja with flour tortillas, Shredded Lettuce, Pico de Gallo, Squash with Roasted Peppers, and onions
I can put this in the crock pot and have it cook while we run errands and then company dinner will be ready when we come in.  I may put on some Mexican rice and black beans for the rest of the folks.

Hot Dogs, Coleslaw, Oven Fries
I bought good fat free all beef hot dogs last week on sale at the grocery.  I can have one slice of whole wheat bread and 1/2 cup of oven fries in the same meal.  I just have to balance the carbs all through the day.

Leftovers Day
Whatever we have leftover will be eaten today.  I'm pretty sure there will be Ropa Vieja left and possibly some of the vegetables from the week.  If not I'll make a big salad.

Ranch Chicken and Potatoes, Squash Casserole, Butter Beans, Corn Muffins, Peach Cobbler
I'm making a post birthday dinner for Katie this weekend.  She requested the menu and that's fine.  I'll have some butter beans and skip the potatoes.  The cobbler will be very low sugar and a small 1/2 cup portion for myself (mostly peaches).





I found the appointments back to back took their toll on me hard this past week.  This week is likely to be tough, too, as we've not only company, but it's Harvest week, grocery week and I have an appointment.  Fortunately John will be home all week long to help out.  I am not making other plans because it feels like it is more than enough to keep up with

3 comments:

Lana said...

Menus are on my list today. We have leftovers form our daughter's birthday dinner Saturday night for tonight. We have been dealing with A/C problems and a hot house which makes me not care what or if we eat at all.

After my husband's heart attack last year all our kids wanted to come home and see that he was okay, too. We told our son stationed at Hanscom AFB outside of Boston not to buy a plane ticket and fly home and that Daddy was going to be fine but I think it was really hard for him not to come.

I hope you can get some good rest between all you have to get done this week.

Susan in SC said...

Don't over-do Terri! I am sure everyone will be happy to help and there is nothing wrong with asking for help!

Karla said...

Today is my daughter's birthday so I'm making one of her favorite pies - chocolate. What she doesn't know is that the filling and the Cool Whip will be sugar free! We are eating healthier in our home these days and she has a tendency, at 22 years old, to not want to eat things that she knows are sugar free or have substitutes. But we rarely make desserts these days, sticking mainly with fruit or yogurt or no sweet treat at all. I figure if I make it before she's home she may still know the difference but at least she'll be more likely to try it. :)

Your week sounds exhausting even at full health strength! Glad John will be there to help you out this week. I know he will be faithful to do so. Be sure and take the help and ask when you need it! It's so hard to ask for help sometimes as the Chief Domestic Engineer, isn't it? I have such a hard time letting others do anything. I'm learning to get better but it's still a chore to make myself delegate or request assistance.

Hope you have a wonderful week with your family! Blessings

Coffee Chat: Just Chatting