In My Home This Week: Planning Ahead




In my home this week...

...I started planning for Fall.  I wandered about Hobby Lobby looking for autumn floral picks to use in my home.  I tried to choose seasonal things in soft golds and well worn greens and colors similar to what we have most often in autumn here.  I went back to the fabric department to look for velvets to use to make those cute pumpkins on Pinterest.  No pumpkin-ish colors were to be had, but I found two lovely pieces of heavy material that I think will be pretty to use instead.  We'll see how they turn out!

Am I getting ahead of myself in planning for a season that is roughly a month away?  Am I hurrying summer away?  Not at all!  I'm just tired of waiting until Autumn is well underway before I start looking for things to use to decorate my home.  Then I'm stuck with the garish stuff in the dollar stores or what I've got leftover from umpteen years ago.  This year, I'll have something fresh and new.  I'm going to start looking for stuff to do wreaths with, too. I'd thought cotton bolls...but guess what?  NO cotton left at Hobby Lobby and yet I saw just loads of it three weeks or so ago.  And that is why I was out buying autumn floral picks a month early...So I could choose what I wanted instead of returning and finding it was down to the leftovers!


I mean to go this next week and start looking for and purchasing autumn plants.  The petunias are completely done.  It's a good time to put in something fresh in those baskets and pots.  The coleus will go on for a couple of months or more yet.  I won't replace those.  

Not all of my plans are for the months just ahead.  John has 10 days off and so my plans will naturally fall before any that he makes.  I'm looking forward to these days.  I don't mind saying that the new schedule pretty much limits us to 2 days a week of time spent together.  There's the 2 work days and then the 2 days recovery from working a 24hour shift.  With mowing grass once a week, it's not left us any real time to do much together.  I'm sure mowing and groceries will be tossed into our time off, but there's plenty of days to enjoy.  No plans made at the moment but I'll just bet the week is spent together doing something  if nothing more than taking a picnic lunch or going to that little town in the foothills and having lunch out.  We'll see.  

...I plan work:


My plans this week are going to be simple and to the point.  I won't put out a long list this time.  

I want to go look for fall plants, if my husband happens to go to the DIY store.

Make that slipcover or at least get a good start on it.

Try making my first pumpkin.  Not sure what I'll stuff the thing with but I want to try my hand at it all the same.

I have bills worked up for Harvest on Monday.  We'll be buying groceries at some point.  

And that's really it besides the usual routines.

...I plan meals:

Pot Roast with Vegetables, Salad, Corn Muffins

Steak, Potato Pancakes, Steamed Broccoli, Salad

Baked Chicken and Dumplings, Steamed Green Peas, Cranberry Sauce, Coleslaw 
(provided I remember cabbage)

Hot Wings, Celery Sticks, Carrots, Blue Cheese Dressing, Challah
(We've been promising ourselves to try a wing place over next town.  Perhaps this week...I'll make sides at home)

Mac and Cheese, Roasted Vegetables, Green Salad

Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

Tuna Patties, French Fries, Lettuce and Tomato Salad, Biscuits

...I plan leisure:



I am not really planning leisure activities this week just more of what I'd done last week which made me feel so much more relaxed and less tense.  I'm taking time daily to listen to good music that really speaks to me, to read, journal and work a few Sudoku puzzles in odd moments.  I can listen to the music and work.

I'm also trying hard to shut down computer by 8:00-8:30 each evening and reading from then until bedtime or looking through one of my vintage magazines.  I've slept incredibly well this past week!  I don't know if it's the reading or the lack of 'blue light' but it's done me good.

Mostly I just plan this week to enjoy John's time off as much as we can!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The most important thing you will ever do, make memories with those you love. In the years ahead you won't remember the clean bathroom or the vacuuming, but you will remember time spent together doing little things. The years go by so quickly. Gramma D

Margie from Toronto said...

Friends are here visiting from Belfast so I plan on spending some time with them this week - and I'm also going to see a new documentary film tomorrow night - those are the only firm plans.
I've already cooked a pot of chilli and some very nice sausages and I've roasted a large batch of vegetables so meal planning and cooking is already done. I need to buy a few salad items tomorrow but that's all as I've got a full freezer and pantry to work through.
I don't think you are too early to be thinking about Halloween - and for us Canadians, Thanksgiving (ours comes before Halloween). I'd like to make a wreath this year and I think I'd like some greys & reds and perhaps a soft teal as these colours go more with my colour scheme than oranges & black. I think I'll head up to a large Michael's store next week and see what is available.
Have a lovely week.

Lana said...

You are blessed to have two full days to spend with John each week. Before disability our week meant an hour on weekday evenings because of the commute and getting to bed early to get up at 5:30 each day. Saturdays were work days and barely keeping up with home maintenance and Sunday is Sunday which I do not find restful with church and coming home starving, etc. Add in anything else and it was just time away from us time. It remains to be seen whether or not my husband can ever work again but I do not look forward to the schedule and never having time together like it was for 38 years.

Anonymous said...

I always used to marvel at how early the hobby shops had the next and next seasons things out so ahead of time. Then I realized it takes a while to Make the things so yes you get them ahead when you find them then when the time comes to put them up they will be ready to enjoy! :) Now bathing suits coming out in the department stores January first is another thing though.... ;) They are already made and I am freezing and don't need a suit yet!! This will be the last year I will have picks. Next year I too will be looking for new ones. My fall leaves wreath though bit the dust last year but I have not seen anything as pretty since..so I will wait for the right materials to make another. I waited too long to get the pretty sunflowers I wanted.....maybe next year?
I hope John's vacation leaves him refreshed. He needs some time away from it all. Time to be close to each other and enjoy getting up each day and not having to get him ready to drive to work too. Making new memories.
Planning ahead to the fall is a refreshing thing for me as it reminds me that this Hot weather will not last. Fall is my favorite season. I do miss the trees turning their fall colors. Here only a few turn,.. but growing up it was like God repainted the earth just for that season! Sooooo beautiful. I don't think that anyone who has not actually seen it could believe how beautiful it is. I know you understand. I have had friends send me a few leaves over the years from 'home'. Bless their hearts.
I thought you were going to cut back on writing for a while . You have written quite a lot still. :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with GrammaD!
Love,
Tracey
XoX

terricheney said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with my husband this week! I do like some alone space but honestly haven't needed it this week at all.

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder