A Prairie Girl's Faith by Steven Hines: Book Review


I've had this book for several months now because I've been so busy, but oh my goodness, I'm glad I added it to my collection of books by and about Laura Ingalls Wilder.

No surprise that she grew up with a faith filled life.   Pioneer life was not for the faint of heart, nor for the child, man or woman, who grew up in such a place.  It was a matter of more than sheer stamina for hard work and hardship.  It was more than just a blind faith.  It took a practical faith, one that knew how to make do and do without and one that understood that in all things there are seasons.

While the title of the book would lead one to believe it is merely about Laura's Christian leanings, it is not.  There are historical references to the church, to hymns likely sung, to family life and timelines of important life events.  There are recipes and gleanings from relatives and personal acquaintances.  As always Stephen Hines has been most thorough in his research and in his sharing and that is deeply appreciated in this book.

I leave you with Laura's own words:  "Let us with humble hearts, give thanks for the revelation to us and our better understanding of the greatness and goodness of God."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to read your review. I almost bought this the other day but the two reviews were not very good. I will look for it.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Thank you for sharing! LIW is my favorite author and I have a huge collection of books by and about ger but don’t yet have that one. Will add it to my collection.

My absolute favorite is “Pioneer Girl: Annotated Autobiography” ..its compilation was conducted by the South Dakota State Historical Society and is written much like an encyclopedia covering all aspects of LIW’s life and compares info contained in her Little House books with actual events of that time period. There are photos of her original handwritten manuscript as well. It’s chocked full of lots of interesting facts. It’s interesting how many refer to the period in which she grew up as being “simpler times,” but it was actually very hard work.

Thanks again!!

Beckyathome said...

I recently read a new one (to me) about all the plant life surrounding the Little House books. It went through what was growing in the region they were living in, and what they grew in the gardens, and the flowers, etc. I enjoyed it very much. I'll have to look for this one at the library. I think it would probably surprise Laura to know how interested everyone is in the minute details of her life. It's kind of sobering, actually. You just never know who may look at your life and glean something from it.

terricheney said...

Becky be sure and let us know the name of that book. You are quite right that it would be very humbling for anyone to look into the future and see such interest in their daily life, the ordinary things they did.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Is this the book?

The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Frontier Landscapes that Inspired the Little House Books

Beckyathome said...

Yes, it is "The Frontier Landscapes" book. I enjoyed it very much, but of course, it is back at the library for someone else to enjoy now:)