This Week In My Home: Light At the End of The Tunnel

This week in my home, I...




...can see light at the end of the tunnel.  This week Bess and Sam accepted an offer on their home.  With a projected move in six weeks time, we all put our heads together and they finally determined that they would live in one of the houses on the property until they could build one of their own.  This was not a lightly reached decision.  John and I discussed the price difference in a manufactured home and a house and we agreed that for us, we'd choose manufactured housing all over again.  However, the kids have not been able to find all the elements they desire in any floor plan to date and the additional items bring the price point far closer to that of traditional stick built housing than to a manufactured home price.



I know it's been difficult to be separated these past six weeks.  Sam has taken to reading a book to the boys via phone each evening, keeping a part of their daily home life ritual intact.  I've loved hearing Isaac crooning and chattering in the back ground, hearing Josh as he's talked to his daddy.  To know that soon I shall have those two little boys close by fills my heart with joy.

I spent time with Taylor at the end of last week.  She was feeling much better by Friday morning, though she was none too pleased to find herself alone with me just at first.  I decided to ignore her and get busy doing housework.   That strategy worked fine.  Within a few minutes she was following me about and 'helping'.  She was quite good for me that day and happily went to her room for nap time, played quietly until I came for her and just generally was good company.

I thoroughly enjoyed that day and equally enjoyed the ride up and back.  It's been a small challenge for me to have someone in the house most of the time so those hours alone on the road were most appreciated.   Yet my season for that also is coming to an end.  At least for now.  Life is so changeable there is no way of knowing what lies ahead.  But for now...there is a light at the end of this tunnel for us all.



...worked:
Bought a few groceries on Sunday.  I chose to stay local though it's not my usual shopping area except for a few loss leaders.  I loathe shopping in the rain and I was happy to be no further from home than a couple of miles when the skies poured.

Followed my usual household routines.  The house was soon back into shape though I must say that John did admirably for the short time I was absent from my home.

Took Mama shopping.   John commented that shopping with her is far more work for me and it's truth, lol.  After all when we're shopping for home he is there helping me.  When it's me with Mama it's me doing all the stretching and bending and lifting and toting.

Set up several more outfits.  I had finally made my way through all the last outfits I'd set up and even pulled a few more on the fly.  But I really prefer to have a nice assortment set up so that making decisions is kept to a minimum.  Freeing my mind about what to wear, always reduces a certain amount of anxiety, especially when I need to dress in a hurry or have other things on my mind.

Sorted out the glass storage area and made it neater.  Trying to determine what to do with the Oui yogurt glasses.  Yes, I am spending extra on that yogurt because it is as near my homemade in quality and taste.  Both my thermometers quit working recently and I'm taking my time replacing them as I think buying a better quality will reduce the need to replace so often.

Got my pantry sorted out once more.  Noted areas where we have outages (Oatmeal, Turkey Spam) and upcoming shortages (garlic, mustard, storage bags, toilet paper, aluminum foil, paper plates).   It's good to know what I have on hand, even if it is just a mental inventory.


...made meals:
Turkey, Dressing, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, Gravy

Steak, German Potatoes, Salad

out with Mama

Tacos, Birthday cupcakes.  That is all...

Fried Chicken, Potato Salad, Clementines, Cupcakes

leftovers on my own

...saved money:
Shopping locally rarely saves me anything unless I purchase only loss leaders at the home store.  However, poor weather and feeling slightly under the weather myself, I opted to stay close to home.  I am put out that I utterly forgot the eggs.  I had such a basic list and naturally eggs were upon it.  I did not return to town but will pick the eggs up later in the week.  I think I can get by with what purchases I made Sunday aside from eggs.

I do not like the only brand of milk carried at the local grocery.  Fortunately the dollar store carries a different brand.  I picked up a gallon there on my way home.

John took an extra half shift on Sunday.

I packed his lunch for all three of his shifts this week.  Also made him breakfast.  I did not have eggs to make his oatmeal with so one morning I made him cheese grits and another morning I made oatmeal that I cooked in milk with brown sugar.  It came out as creamy as the oatmeal with the egg in and I shall happily make it this way  in future should I be without eggs.

I picked up a few of my own groceries while out with Mama.  Unexpectedly she paid for my things.  The cashier commented that had I known I likely would have purchased more.  Mama quickly corrected him and said "No, she'd have gotten nothing at all!"   Quite right Mama was, too!  However, I thanked her for blessing me with that purchase.

Stopped at the discount grocer to pick up turkey sausage, hot dogs and the snack crackers John likes in his lunch.  I bulk purchased those items as I tend to go there only once every three months usually.

Ate a half sandwich John saved from a take out lunch on Sunday for my supper one night.  Sam ate leftover turkey and dressing.

We went to Walmart.  John got the thrill of the hunt on clearance and bought several shirts for $3, insisted I get my own sweat jacket as well as several tank tops (always nice to wear under other shirts) and a few things for the Kingsland grands to keep at their dad's.

While in the store we picked up milk and coffee and clementines.

We did our usual of taking off trash, picking up mail, dropping off items and running errands each time we went out.  Our trips away from home always count for quite a lot.  We don't take our gas usage lightly.

John and I purchased a new ceiling fan to replace our old one in the living room.  He had Sam install it for us.


...had my leisure:
Made good on my vow to sleep in when I could.  I got an extra two hours this morning after John left Sunday and a good nap Saturday afternoon.

Enjoyed my book, Jane Austen at Home, A Biography by Lucy Worsely.

Watched "Love and Friendship" an adaptation of an early Jane Austen novella.  I can't say I particularly liked it despite the costuming (always a first love of mine in any period filming).   I can't believe this film has any resemblance to anything Austen may have written filled as it is with a scheming lying woman's manipulations of all about her.  There is some resemblance to Austen's dry and subtle humor but still...Not a waste of time.  There is lovely costuming and scenery.


Watched several episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel".  There is occasional bad language but the overall tone of the show is not vulgar.  The costuming is gorgeous 1950's monochromatic in the most lovely combinations like teal with navy, or cream and forest green.  The 'eye candy' portions are worth while alone.  The show is funny, poignant and touching.

Watched Olympic Ice Skating.  My gracious I do get inspired watching them!

5 comments:

Out My window said...

I love your blog, your life has many similarities to mine. Can't wait for the Olympics to start.

Margie from Toronto said...

I too loved "Mrs. Maisel" - the visuals of the different apt. decorating and the clothes of the time are just so well done and add so much to the show.
I have a question - you talk about making John's oatmeal with egg - is this the southern style grits? I've had them once or twice when I've been down south but when we talk about oatmeal we mean made with water or milk and served with more milk and sugar or fruit.... How do you make it with egg? I'm just curious.
Thank you.

terricheney said...

Margie dear, the oatmeal is quite simple and is basically just oatmeal in a sort of custard. For two: 1 cup of oats, 1 1/2c milk, 1 egg, 1/4 cup brown sugar and dash of salt. I mix the egg and milk well and then pour over oatmeal and cook stirring often until it's thick and tender about 7 minutes total with the old fashioned oats, less with the quick oats. The protein makes the oatmeal 'stick' longer and lasts a good solid four hours which is what we need on those early mornings.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday to you and John! The cupcakes sound like a thoughtful, happy surprise!
We are celebrating Mike's birthday and my Dad's birthday this weekend with a lot of the family gathering!

Looking forward to reading about the new shifts in your life... as the grand babies and all move close by!
They are so blessed to have you. I grew up, for the most part, without the pleasure and good influence of grandparents. It's a lack I've always felt. That being said, I was blessed with good, kind childhood friends who very generously "adopted" me...sharing their own extended family with me!

Like you, my alone time is, as it's always been, precious to me. I know it's a season (no grandchildren for us as yet) so am hoping to use your upcoming examples as future inspiration! Haha!

I saw the Miss Maisel shows advertised on Amazon but haven't watched them yet. Will do so now that you've given the nice reviews and minor cautions (always good to have a "heads-up" on some of those things you've mentioned.). I recently discovered an older series on Amazon called "Little Men" . It is loosely based on the LM Alcott book of the same name. I've only watched two episodes and while the acting is very good, the story lines are modern and not at all in keeping with the book (which I'm very familiar with). That's not to say the stories are bad, the first episode is about standing up for what is right, even if the potential consequences are strongly negative. The story's inspiration, I believe, is Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience". The second episode dealt with the consequences of fibbing and thus putting yourself in a situation that could cause you harm. So...I will being watching more and give them a chance. Even though they seem to stray far from the original the stories!
I'm off for now, sending love, good thoughts and prayers to you and yours as always.

Love,
Tracey
XoX

Margie from Toronto said...

Thank you for the explanation. I'm Scottish so porridge, or oatmeal, has always been a staple winter breakfast. I make it like you - just no egg - I can see how that would give it a more custard like effect (a bit like making rice pudding). I will have to give that a try.