In My Home This Week: Back In The Saddle Again

In my home this week...

...I shared on Facebook about something very thoughtful John did for me on Sunday of this week.  He was leaving for work and went out to his car as he was leaving.   It was raining.   He backed his car out, parked it near the porch and walked back to the carport.  What he did next brought tears to my eyes.  He got in my car and moved it to the dryer side of the carport.  You see the area where I park is a little lower than the side where he parks.  Over time the ground has rutted so there is a big puddle that forms under the driver side of the car whenever it rains.  No fun stepping into it on a summer's day forget on a chilly cold morning!   He knew I would be going out to church that morning and so he moved my car.  He walked back out into the rain to get into his car and said quietly, "Just so you don't get your feet wet this morning."  I couldn't say a word because I was swallowing the tears back.  



On Valentine's Day there was no card, candy, flowers or jewelry,  but I didn't need such reminders of how he loved and cherished me.  He'd shown it in his deep thoughtfulness on Sunday morning.   I often chuckle over how unromantic he and I are when it comes to the time chosen gestures of love.  I mean, we seldom remember our wedding anniversary until it's completely passed, nor can we tell you how long we've been married without first figuring out how old Katie is and subtracting two years.  Yet, everyone who knows us often comments on our unity and obvious love.

I don't say any of this to brag.  I say this to make the point that often it's not living up to the world's standard that proves love.  It's not the outward material proof of love that lasts.   An earring can be lost, a ring go down a drain.  Flowers wilt, cards are tossed to the bottom of a drawer and candy gets eaten.  No harm in having any of those things, but if that's my only standard for judging how loved I am it's a mighty empty lot to go on isn't it?  I'll take this man who, when I say my feet are cold goes to my dresser and pulls out a pair of socks and puts them on my feet.  I'll take this man who has stood beside me in the midst of my personal ruins when he's got no clue what the heck is going on but he's determined to just be there all the same.  I'll take this man who makes me laugh every single day.

...worked:



Just as the rain pours outside our windows it poured outside our own several days this week.  I'm sitting here with the windows open just now but the wind is very restless at present and the sun is being hidden behind scuttling clouds.

Did two loads of laundry on Sunday.  John did two loads on Monday, mostly his work bedding and spare change of clothes plus his work clothes from Sunday.   We didn't do anymore until Friday.

Washed full loads of clothes and dishes.  I air dried all that I could.

Basic home care.  That takes more time and energy than typing it all out, but you know...

Got the bills ready to pay this week.  Did banking and errands.

We did a grocery shop.  Just Aldi today but it was a big buggy of food by the time we were done.  It's been a little over one month since our last trip.

Fought ants.   I will call pest control when it's dry enough for him to spray in and OUT both.   The yard is filled with ant hills just now.

In my quiet hours, when not working on Jamberry related things, I've been reading Laine's letters, especially those which reference her homemaking and savings and recipes.  It is my own version of doing a refresher course.  Next up I plan to read Jess' Strangers and Pilgrims blog.

Checked off several items of random things on a list of to do's.  Phone calls, visits I needed to make, mail I needed to send out, items needed to be gathered for others.  None of it took loads of time but it did take a chunk when all combined.

Ran errands one morning.

...made meals:

Polska Kielbasa, Cabbage, Red Potatoes, and Cornbread

Italian Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas, Homemade Bread, cupcakes

on my own (Deli roasted chicken with leftover vegetables)

Pizza we picked up after getting John's check, doing banking and dropping off mail.

Beef Stroganoff, Noodles, Salad with Beets and Crumbled Egg Yolks, Wacky Cake

Roasted Chicken, Wild Rice, Broccoli with Cheese

Chicken Nuggets and Tater Tots.  I was feeling mighty lazy this morning after doing housework.

...saved time and money:



Ordered stainless steel cake pans.  I am slowly replacing and replenishing my pots and pans in my kitchen with better quality items.  I used Amazon credit earned from Swagbucks to purchase two square and two round cake pans.   I have a prime account which gave me a better price on the pans.  After my gift cards my balance for four pans was $8 and that works out to $2 a pan, 1/3 the price of the cheap ones we priced at Walmart last week. 
They are so shiny you can see my reflection in them, lol!

Took advantage of another direct sales operator going out of business and selling off her stock to add a matte red lipstick to my cosmetics.  I've been crushing on the Olympic skaters lovely matte red lips this week and knew I just needed to have same in my cosmetic bag.

Gave myself a Valentine's Day mani.

Received a new book from Blogging for Books to review.

John did our taxes here at home.  This year we had to pay federal government quite a lot.  Fortunately our state return will balance that out but yuck and ick and all that good stuff.  It didn't feel like savings to have to pay out of pocket but there are a couple of things we did last year that we knew would bite.  We were just shocked it bit so hard!

Totted up the checkbook.  I'd failed to note some cash set aside for the credit card bill and so that will push over to next month's payment.

Last month was a 3 pay period month.  Because I pay bills every two weeks it sometimes takes two or three cycles before my payments fall in a month where I can separate them into 3.  This week it was my health insurance half payment.  I added that to my other sub account funds and now have all the cash needed for renewing my car insurance in July.  Next I'm going to start saving for vacation.

Went to get a haircut.  I stuck with a Pixie cut but went shorter than I've gone in the recent past.  I love it.  I purchased hair product today that is not like anything I've seen to date, a texture powder.  It gives my hair lift and allows me to make it look piecey but it stays soft and pliable.  Well worth the haircut to just discover this product.

Treated myself to a coffee while I was in the vicinity of Starbucks.  One last Gingerbread Latte to see winter out.  Used my gift card to purchase.

Went to the grocery to pick up bread and paper and prescription on Sunday.  I stuck hard to my list but did grab mushrooms needed to make dinner for Mama on Tuesday.  Also purchased flowers.  The $4 group of mums was especially lush and large this week, enough for two bouquets of flowers for the living/dining room.  I suppose because they expected roses to be the big seller this week with Valentine's Day .

Booked another  party for February.

Used some older apples to shred and put into the Wacky Cake I made.  I sent some of the cake home with Mama.

I made egg salad for sandwiches.  John especially likes egg salad.  I can take or leave it unless it's just made.

I cooked too much steak for the stroganoff.  Yes, I could have just tossed it in but we would likely have eaten every bite and really there is no savings in that at all.  So I cooked it and put it in the freezer to save for another meal.   Then I proceeded to make the other half into Stroganoff.

Had  one serving of Stroganoff leftover.  I put it in the fridge to have as a single serve entrée later this week.

Combined leftover broccoli, rice and baked chicken.  I'll make a cheese sauce to go into the pan with this and we'll have a casserole for dinner Friday or Sunday.

Used the last of the loaf of homemade bread.  The recipe I used this past week was for a one hour bread and it made two rustic looking loaves.  The bread is a little more dense but not tough than the Challah I typically make for Shabbat.  It slices nicely and holds together well for toast and sandwiches.  John has raved over it all week  and it's super easy.  I'll dig out the recipe and share it with you all before I close out this post.

John stopped and bought us a sandwich and coffee on our way home from grocery.  He paid for the sandwich  and  I paid for the coffee.  We shared the sandwich which was generous.  It was lovely little car picnic for our Valentine's Day.

Went to CVS to pick up some needed items and half-priced Valentine's day candy.

Changed banks where we keep a security box.   This was a very small savings of cash but does save us gasoline if we need to retrieve anything.


...had my leisure



Gave myself a manicure. Or two.

Watched Ice Skating, Snowboarding and other Olympic Sportscasts.

Read.  I continued on with Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsely.

Got my hair cut.  I've had a pixie cut for years, but I decided to go with a slightly different style pixie which is a little shorter and has no part.  It's a fresh take and I feel revitalized with it.

13 comments:

Debbie said...

That was so sweet of your husband to move your car for you. He sounds a lot like my husband. :)

Out My window said...

What a nice husband. Love your blog.

obscure said...

What a lovely gesture! I would take that kind of thoughtfulness over flowers or jewelry any day of the week!

Wendi said...

That was super sweet of hubby to move your car. It really is the simple gestures that mean the most.

Melonie said...

Oh, that is a lovely Valentine's gift indeed! Thank you for sharing the moment with us.

Lana said...

I would like to hear what you think of the baking pans after using them. Do they brown properly, etc.

Anne said...

I can't quite figure out what Laine's Letters is. I googled it and was sent to several other blogs with different names who seem to be quoting Laine's Letters but it is unclear to me. Is there a blog by that name? Clearly I'm missing something. :D

Louise said...

I looked for the bread recipe at the end of your blog... missed it, I guess..

terricheney said...

Louise, How silly of me! I clean forgot that recipe...It's too late tonight to go look it up but I shall do my best to get it posted tomorrow.

Anne, Theletters are a series of letters from Laine, a former newsletter of sorts that combines Christian and frugal helps for homemakers. Copy and paste this link. Occasionally the page comes up blank but there is a timeline at the top of the page and if you click on the blue arrow that points left you will find the letter. Every now and then one comes up to a 'webpage available' notice. Those are generally what is left of the the hacker's mess and you'll just need to go on to the next letter.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130721005103/http://lainesletters.com/letters.html

terricheney said...

Lana, I will happily post a review once I use the pans a couple of times and let you all know how they are.

All the rest of you, thank you so much. I definitely have a keeper of a man, lol.

Angela said...

Ahhh so sweet of John! I would like to know about your pans too- they are so pretty! Mine are awful and they were cheapies to start with.

Beckyathome said...

I'm glad you had a great week! It's great how much joy you found in the ordinary this week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri!
As always,I read with pleasure! What a true gentleman is John. Like you, Mike and I don't fuss much over such things like Valentines' and other obligatory gift giving days. When I was much younger it sometimes bothered me...that stopped once I truly came to the understanding that it is the thoughtful gestures, made daily, that are the truly priceless gifts...and most especially they are telling of the great love that motivates them...wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Love,
Tracey
XoX

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue