Make Mine A Farmhouse



As we drove over to the mountain Friday, I enjoyed myself looking at the homes along the roadways we took.  There were ranch homes, Mobile homes, and Victorian homes, cottages, shanties, shacks and brick Tudor.  Antebellum, Federal and Georgian...But the homes that made my heart go pitter patter were always farmhouse homes.   There's an awful lot of 'farmhouse' this and that right now and I realize it sounds like I'm just another trend follower but when I say farmhouse, I don't mean the modern trend. I mean 'farmhouse' in the way that I knew farmhouses growing up.



 It's not all grey and whites as depicted on current television shows and some popular blogs.  True farmhouse might well have a few rustic touches, but there's color, too, plenty of color.   I agree that the current trend is restful for the eyes, but after a little bit of looking at tons of just grey and white, I begin to feel a bit lifeless...oomph-less if you will.  So let me define true farmhouse 'style' okay?  This is farmhouse the way I knew it growing up.



First let's start outdoors.  The house is generally white lapped wood siding.   Though many these days have been covered with aluminum or metal siding there are still plenty of them covered in wood.    There's almost always a tin roof on the house.  A shiny galvanized tin roof to properly reflect the heat of the summer sun.  A front porch and often a side porch or back porch, as well.  The cottage home may have done away with porches but a real farmhouse always has a generous porch, large enough to serve as an outdoor living room in the warmer months, very often screened in with the prerequisite screen door that squawks open and slams with a satisfying slap of wood on wood.

Rocking chairs and a swing are generally found on porches.  Not fancy furniture but durable and comfortable enough that one could 'set a spell', as the old folks used to say.



There may be shutters at the generous sized windows.  While cottage colors appeal to me most shutters and sometimes the front doors are painted black, a  black green, or a deep green.   Any other doors are usually painted white.  Porch floors are generally battleship gray.  A few older homes might have sky blue ceilings on the porches, but not always.

Flower beds may be optional but if they are part of the landscape they are not wild and random cottage gardens.  They are nicely bordered and neat.  Edging material often is of stones, brick or blocks of some sort, perhaps even of wood.   A freshly clipped lawn and neatly trimmed trees and hedges are a must.  A generous vegetable plot, neatly fenced and rowed and well weeded is usually part of that landscape.

Indoors is a modest home.  While wall finishes may vary from board to plaster to sheetrock, and some might have wainscoting on the lower half of the wall, the walls are not typically white.  That's a bit of a shock to our modern eyes, but walls may be soft gray, blue, green, buff.   The colors are usually light.  Floors typically are wood, from medium to dark but some may have what we still refer to as linoleum..

Arrangement of rooms vary but typically two or three bedrooms, a central hallway that is quite generous in size in some and no hall at all in others, a single bathroom, a living room and a large airy kitchen. Note the lack of a dining room.  Eating was done in the kitchen, or on a side or back porch in warmer months. 


 




If it was a truly large and generous kitchen, a sitting area might also be included in the room and the 'front room' converted into a parlor for special occasions or Sunday afternoon visitors but the majority of the farm homes I knew used that living room for living.

The living room was truly a comfortable room with a good sofa, side chairs, a table near a window, good lights for reading, a TV and a radio, bookcases for books and some source of heat such as a stove or fireplace or propane heater.  A living room and kitchen both might well have a linoleum floor.  Though hard to find now, I do recall that Big Mama and Granny and Grandma Stewart all had floors similar to the one pictured below.  It looked like a rug but was more durable and more easily cleaned.


Rooms were not furnished with distressed woods.  Bedrooms often had polished dressers or chest of drawers.   A comfortable chair, usually a low armless rocker stood in one corner or near a window.  Furnishings were more minimal than we're accustomed to in this day, but occasionally there might be two full sized beds in children's rooms instead of the single twin beds we know.  Beds might be iron, painted to look like wood, or painted white.   Floors were often wood, but there would be small rugs at bedside to prevent stepping out right onto an icy floor.  Colorful quilts or chenille spreads (summer wear) often covered the beds.



 Bathrooms tended to be a bit antiseptic with their tile walls and floors.  For those unable to afford real tile, there were many plastics on the market to go on walls and some wall board was used that resembled a tiled wall though in fact it was a vinyl coated cardboard of sorts that attached to the wall in sheets, like paneling.  I think we'd all prefer to find vintage tile though...It just looks so pretty doesn't it?

Bathrooms were generally not fancy, though.  They were meant more for utility than for beauty in those days and most families weren't so very far off the days of having an outhouse as a 'second bathroom' either!







Curtains in rooms were often a lovely color, ruffled or bound in rickrack or ball fringe.  Priscilla or lace panels weren't uncommon in the living area and perhaps the grown ups bedroom, while a plainer style was used in the other bedrooms.  Kitchen curtains were always especially brightly colored and trimmed and seldom covered the full window.  The natural light was much wanted in these rooms during the day to  offset the cost of electricity.  As well windows were used to move air through the rooms.  So no heavy drapes for most of the year.


So not the houses weren't/aren't fancy in my farmhouse dreams.  They are comfortable, with color, and life and utilitarian in many ways but not cold or uncomfortable.   Yes, I'm sure....Make mine a farmhouse!

10 comments:

Wendi said...

You described my grandparents farmhouse! Right down to the frilly white curtains in the living room and the minty green tile in the bathroom. The bathroom was installed in 1956 when there was an addition to the farmhouse. It included a new kitchen downstairs and enlarging the boys room that slept three and of course the bathroom upstairs. I've heard the story of Pop (my grandfather) and Granddaddy (his dad) adding this addition when my mom was six years old. I imagine you never forget when indoor plumbing is added to your home!

My grandparents were forced off of the farm when I was about nine. (Due to greedy family that wanted to sell the land.) That was sometime in the early eighties. Even in the eighties there still wasn't heat upstairs and I remember how cold that bathroom was!

I'll take the farmhouse too! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Lana said...

The creak and slap of the screen door takes me back to my childhood home in Iowa farm country. My Dad grew up in that house too. It had a big porch across the front and the milk box by the front door. That was the tI'm out seat although I never thought it was punishment to sit put there

Beckyathome said...

I love those kinds of houses! I did have that kind of house when I was first married, but have lived in every kind of house since. Right now, I'm in a house in town that was built in 1948. It's quite small and compact, but the back yard is a bit larger than many town lots. We have a big garden, which I'm sure they did in 1948. When we moved in, we tore up the carpet and refinished the original hardwood floors from the 40's and boy are they beautiful. I love the idea of a porch across the front of a house and can imagine popping peas or snapping beans, even in town. The truth is: I don't have leisurely afternoons yet at this time of my life. Maybe when I do, I will get a porch to sit and rock on! There's always something to look forward to:)

Wendy Clark said...

I live in a very old (real, not perfect) farmhouse and at times it can be very discouraging because it really doesn't ever look like those on TV. But its my little farmhouse, bumps and bruises for sure, but its mine, and I need to love and appreciate it more. This post encouraged me this morning.

Kathy said...

I love farmhouses too!
My cape cod style house has some of the same features though, with a front porch and swing. Love sitting there during a rain storm. I have the dark green shutters and front door, and the gray porch floor. May have to paint the porch ceiling blue though, that sounds nice. We have an eat in kitchen too. Nothing fancy, but it is home! Of all the houses that we have lived in during our 25 years of marriage, this one feels more like home.

Chef Owings said...

come close to describing the house we are redoing...it had no electric or plumbing. The wall colors with be vibrant as that is our perference but the floors are wood except in bathrooms and laundry room. We have 2 porches and a covered stoop on the back. Our neighbors are Amish and definitely have an old farm house

Debbie said...

I grew up in Hawaii and this was a popular style there as well. I have fond memories of living in the "teacher cottages" when we first moved there when I was 3 years old. The school district had built a whole neighborhood of farmhouse style single homes and duplexes to house all the teachers and their families that were moving to Hawaii to teach. The homes had big kitchen sinks and an eat in kitchen, clawfoot tubs in most of the bathrooms, and were cozy and clean lined.

Anonymous said...

Both of my Grandparents homes had wood floors in the bathrooms. Clawfoot tubs in both but one had it surrounded with wood that was topped in linoleum flooring. Both had white very thin cotton { Batiste ?} curtains. The windows were often open in summer it seemed and the curtains would blow some with the breeze. So pretty! Both had the white farm sinks like you showed but freestanding. Both homes were quiet. No tv blaring or such. Just the ticking of the mantel clock or the occasional car going down the road. ... and lots of happy talk between relatives when we were all visiting. One set of Grandparents never did have a tv. They did have a piano though tucked into their small front room. This house started as a small log cabin that was added to a little. The porch swings with the clanging chains..the back screen doors with the when the door that slapped shut but had a squeak too. One set of grandparents put a second lower handle on the screen for the grandkids. I don't remember her just now what they were called but one set of Grandparents had a living room rug that a company made from the wool pieces you sent them to make the rug from. The rugs were reversible. This company was in business for years. The rug outlasted them. Oh I think it was an Olson rug. ?? My one Grandmother used the stone bottom of the kitchen window ledge to put hot pies or just made jelly on to cool. I wonder what memories they had of their own grandparents homes? I wished I had asked. Now I am really remembering so many more things that made their simple homes pretties than today's designer ones. Both the homes I knew were wood framed but one had a bit of brick on the outside too. Now I thought of my Grandmother's sisters real farm farm house... the water pump outside the 2 kitchen doors, the new kittens or chicks kept near the wood stove, the single light dropped from the ceiling for kitchen light... theorem separator in the kitchen by the ice cooled refrigerator..even in 1959. And No inside toilet..ever. Better go...I could go on forever!!! Sorry! Thanks for the memories!! Yes I too love a farmhouse!!! Sarah :-))

Little Penpen said...

yes, yes, yes.... I want to turn my modern home into something like that!! Beautiful!

Karen in WI said...

I love the description of your farm house! It makes me want to walk in that screen door and sit a spell. Your writing is beautiful and you have reminded me to dream.