Spicy Apple Cake - I FOUND IT!



While sorting though Mama's cookbooks the other day I came across a Family Circle magazine cookbook that looked familiar.  I brought it home with me and flipped through it and found that Apple Cake recipe I've been trying to find for the past 30 years.  I am so stoked to have this recipe once more!  In the hopes that I shall never again lose it I am sharing here and on the recipe blog.  I haven't made it yet, but will try it soon.  I only hope that it's as good to me now as it was 35 years ago when I last made it!!

Spicy Apple Cake
Bake 325F for 1 hour 10 minutes.  Makes one 10-in tube cake


3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I make my own, never use commercial)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 medium sized apples, pared, quartered, cored, and shredded
1/2 cup chopped nuts
fine dry bread crumbs (if using boxed be sure they are PLAIN)
Lemony Glaze

Sift all dry ingredients into large mixer bowl.  Add shortening, milk, eggs and vanilla.

Beat at low speed, scraping down sides, for 30 seconds.  Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes.  Stir in shredded apple and nuts.

Grease a 10 inch tube pan well.  Sprinkle in crumbs and coat pan, tapping out excess.  Pour batter into pan.

Bake at 325F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until pick inserted  near center comes out clean.    Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.  Invert pan on wire rack.  Cool cake completely.  Glaze with Lemony Glaze.

Lemony Glaze
1 1/2 cups 10X confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
dash of salt

Combine in a small bowl.  Mix until smooth.

4 comments:

Louise said...

Thank You!!! This is something my grandma used to make.. Now I can too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
Glad you finally found your recipie. Hope it turns out the way you remember.
Margie from ks

Kim James said...

Hi, that sounds yummy! Going to get my daughter who loves to bake make this, Thanks for the recipe!

Karen in WI said...

How wonderful that you found this familiy recipe. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if I could substitute butter for shortening? I'll try and see!