This Week In My Home: In the Midst of Storms

In my home this week...



...we'd meant to go to the beach this week and we'd looked forward to it mightily but one thing after another hit us as a family last week.  Saturday morning, after a horrid sleepless Sabath night, John and I sat down and said  to each other, "Perhaps we should cancel..."  Truthfully I can't tell you who suggested it first, but we were both in agreement that we'd each already had that thought.  


When I say we've been hit as a family I mean that sincerely.  The storms have reached far and wide and I can't and won't share details but there's been physical illnesses and ailments among a lot of other very hurtful things.  We reeled.  And as a family we've pulled together, pulling for each other.  I have never been so very proud of my family and their love for one another and their willingness to support one another in times of worry and trouble.

Yes, I needed that vacation, but another will come later on.  I think we needed this week to know that we are family first and foremost, especially when more than the usual course of troubles come.  We shall weather the storms that assail us.

I worked:



Viruses hit the house on top of all the other woes that went on.  Lots of laundry got done.  Lots.

Then the colds started.  I succumbed to that and so did the two little boys. Not a particularly bad cold after the initial fever and chills bit which seems to be part and parcel of this particular strain of virus.

Katie and I spent hours and hours cleaning Mama's house, the one she moved from about a year and a half ago.  It was a terrible mess and there's plenty of work to be done yet upon it.  It is a lesson in buying things for a life one doesn't have and in trying to be prepared for emergencies that never happen, as well as how unimportant a great many things really are.

John spent all afternoon rekeying door locks on the house.  He also worked at adjusting wonky doors and obliging went into deep corners of cabinets where I couldn't reach and Katie was nauseated by messes.

We got groceries.  John and I went to Aldi.  I asked Bess to go to Macon and pick up meats.  Division of duty got things done when no one felt very well.

I spent one morning cooking ahead, making cookies and planning meals in general.  We'd just been grocery shopping, we're feeding another extra and funds are tight.  I want flavorful, inexpensive, stretcher type meals.  This was work but also goes under the 'savings' heading.


I saved:

We had to travel extra miles this week for this and that.  I had a nice fund of money set aside for our travels.  I figure travel is travel and we certainly needed the break in our account so travel funds covered the extra gasoline..

In grocery shopping, I divided and conquered and asked Bess to travel to the market where we buy the good chicken breasts and ground beef.  This week time has been crunched in all sorts of ways and everyone is picking up slack ends to carry the loads.

John and I tackled shopping at Aldi and Publix.  I spent about what you'd expect to cover the cost of feeding two families and one extra besides.  I was very careful in choosing the least expensive options that carry the same quality we are accustomed to having.  I didn't play favorites in cutting out items.  Come one come all, we went for the lower costs, regardless of age, status or personal preferences...Except insuring that Josh got his red rind on the bologna, which they don't have at Aldi, so we shopped for it at Publix instead.

Instead of hiring a locksmith, Katie was able to utilize her dad's former life skills.

Bess unpacked boxes and we loaded boxes at Mama's house.  The boxes were all purchased ones and we've swapped them back and forth two or three times now.



I made meals:


We ate on the road on Saturday.

Roast Chicken, Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli, Brown Rice

Spaghetti with Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Green Salad

Fried Chicken, Mashed potatoes and Gravy, Salad

Taco Night

Leftover Fried Chicken, Chicken fried Rice, Snow Peas

Hot Dogs, French Fries



I had my leisure:



Mostly lying abed with a rotten viral thing.  I napped on Sunday, went to bed quite early Sunday night and took naps Monday morning and afternoon.  This fact alone shocked my family and had them all pulling together to get things done.

John and I took an afternoon from our hard week and went over to the mountain.  

10 comments:

Tammy said...

You've all been on my mind this week, and I've been praying for your family. I hope this rough season will be behind you soon, my friend.

rebecca said...

Sorry to read of "storms", but thankful you are weathering them together.

Carolyn said...

So glad you and your family are weathering the storm together. Sounds as if you have quite a full house now and who better to be in tight quarters with, if not family? Packing another person’s home is a big job. We just downsized and moved and are still trying to catch our breath from all the work. Wonderful that you have lots of helping hands in your home now. Hugs to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your cup runneth over, but not in a good way. Be careful of exhaustion, it can make you sick mentally and physically especially since I know you are already working hard to control your diabetes. So sorry that on top of everything else your mom is creating her own bit of drama. Please remember noone can make her happy, except herself. Hope the sunshine comes back into your life soon. Wish I were there to give you a much needed (or at least I suspect) hug. Keep plans for your vacation as soon as possible. Both you and John deserve it and need it. Gramma D from 53 degree western NY!

Kathy said...

I am so sorry! I was hoping you were enjoying the ocean this week. But there will hopefully be another vacation soon. Glad your family is pulling together. Do hope that you are on the mend.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Terri, I am so sorry that you and family have been sick, and had a rough week.
Sometimes, vacations just have to be canceled. Praying that things will get better real soon, and another vacation will be able to be taken.
Prayers and hugs being sent your way.

Beckyathome said...

I'm sorry you had to have sickness along with other trouble, all at the same time. And, little ones take so much care when they don't feel well. I hope everyone gets to feeling better quickly. And, to need to clean an entire, filthy house to boot....yikes! And, to miss your vacation....And.... I think it's time for a new week:).

I needed to take my nephew to the dentist on Thursday. He's had a tooth that was infected and he had taken all of his antibiotics and it was time to get it "wiggled" as the dentist said. (pulled).They had been on a waiting list for the next available appointment, and one came up when both his parents were at work, so I said I would take him. He was brave, but it wasn't an easy afternoon. His daddy hurried home as fast as he could, and was there to comfort him when we got back to the house. Soon, he was tucked up on the couch with his special blanket, a 7-11 icee he had my daughter carry him into 7-11 to buy on the way home, and had both his dad and myself waiting on him hand and foot, while he let out piteous moans every few minutes. (He's special needs, so doesn't know how to handle discomfort in a stoic fashion). So, after doing his chores for him while he watched with a smile, watching Odd Squad with him for the umpteenth time, and re-freezing his icee 3 times (of course it wasn't frozen back quick enough to suit him), I went home, and his daddy was going to go get him egg flower soup from their favorite Chinese food restaurant. After all that, I was sure he'd be out for the count today, but no....he was fine, and went to school today. Kids! I wish I could bounce back as fast as they do from things.

You hang in there.

Becky

Anonymous said...

The mountain you talked abut. Is it the mountain you have said before that you and John go to that is your rest place? To picnic, pray and talk? Your special place. I hope this trip left you somewhat restored.

You have so many people in our life at one time that are all in transition. Even you and John are heading for retirement and planning for it, while the rest are moving,.. or ? Then there is the winding down of your mother's home in the midst of it all. I hope your mother has found some comfort in living with your brother. And that it is working out for both of them. :)

Just trying to plan meals to suit everyone would be a challenge. Let alone cooking it then ever so quickly clearing the table and cleaning up !! ...How many times each day ?? :-))) Take care.... Sarah

Melonie said...

So very much on all of your plates. I hope you are all feeling much better soon and the stormy seas calm for you. How blessed you are to have each other and to be able to pull together to battle things. I hope everyone has a lovely, calm Mother's Day. <3

Karla said...

Ugh! It does seem that when we are in a time of trial, like Job, the enemy tends to think we are fair game. Trying to remember that God often uses these times for growth in us is sometimes harder than just surviving the chaos!

Praying for you earnestly. Praying for snippets of rest for all of you.