In My Home This Week: Christmas Came Early



We had a quiet holiday dinner with Mama and a long visit after.  Mama had tuned into the Hallmark Channel where Christmas movies played non-stop.  I know many love those Hallmark movies, but I don't find them as entertaining as some.  I think it's because over the years it's become less special and more "How many movies can we put together for the season?"    But I do remember enjoying them when I was younger.  Did they have more depth then?  Or was it because they were saved for a special time?   And who besides me loved the Kraft theater?   I remember those special seasonal movies and the recipes that came in the commercials, all of which sounded delicious.  That too was another time though, when Kraft only featured a product or two that was an ingredient but the recipes were real ones, not just a combination of so many products from the same company.



I was home alone on Friday and got quite a few little jobs done, but had time enough to take a nap before the boys arrived to spend the night.  This was a request from Josh and I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen.  When I'd stopped by to visit on Wednesday, he and Isaac were both still not quite well and I sounded pretty iffy myself.  We all agreed we'd check in on Friday and see how we each felt.  It was deemed we were all well enough to be tolerably pleasant and so the boys came over in time for Shabat.  Sam stayed afterwards to have a simple supper of cheese omelets and toast with us.

I always look for that moment each year when Christmas becomes 'real' to me.  This year, that moment came on Friday evening.  I'd decorated the tree earlier in the day, anticipating the bright eyes of the little boys when they arrived.  Oh how their eyes lit up when they saw the tree!  But Christmas wasn't quite 'real' even then.  It came later that evening, after Sam had gone home and the boys had had a bath, been put in pajamas and we'd made up beds.  We went back to the living room, turned off all but the table lamp and the tree and found a movie, a stumble upon Disney film called "Santa Paws".   One and half hours later, the two boys were sitting perfectly still, enthralled by the talking puppies and Santa and the little orphan girls.   I sat back in my chair and looked at the two boys in their footed sleepers, their eyes turned to the television, with an occasional smile at me,  and that's when it became 'real' for me.

Maybe, just maybe, it can be a tradition for us to have the Friday after Thanksgiving to have the boys and any other grandchildren we can muster, to spend the night, and sit up late (8:15 mightn't seem late just now, but they generally go to bed about 6:45) to watch a special Christmas movie.  At least for a few years, until we become boring to them.

I recall Bess' second Christmas in the family, Josh's first, when a family holiday tradition was broken.  From the time she was 4 years old she and her mom and GrandBebe had attended 'The Nutcracker'.   Over time, it had become a tradition with Bess and her mom, even after GrandBebe couldn't manage attendance any longer.   I can't remember just why it wasn't possible that year, but they didn't go and Bess was genuinely depressed over it.  "I guess I'll just start a tradition of my own!" she said at one point.  I smiled and told her that was just what she should do, because many of our holiday traditions have altered several times over the years as children have grown and moved away, friends have moved,  children have married and had children,  work schedules changed, family members passed away.

Traditions are not always lifelong things.  Sometimes they are seasonal, for a period of time and then gone, but new opportunities to create memories almost always present themselves as it did on Friday evening.   And some things, like the moment when I feel it is truly Christmas, is never the same moment each year at all but it comes at some unexpected moment like a lovely gift.  I always feel  sense of deep happiness, rightness with the world, wonder and awe.  This year, it came very early, before the house is decorated or cookies baked or plans made for family gatherings, but it arrived as it always does, just in time.

This week in my home I plan...

… My work:


I can't seem to fathom having a full week of November left.  And yet I do.  I don't know what Zone area I should be in but I can tell you truly that at this point in this month I shall do whatever appears to need to be done and I'll just start fresh with next month.

I have a planned day out with Mama this week and she's already said she must go to the grocery.  Now seriously, she likely doesn't, but it's what she wants to do. I will try to pick up the most necessary items for our household while I'm out with her, difficult as it is to do any shopping when I'm with Mama.

John wants to get a haircut this week.  I'm going to run into Kroger's to Starbucks and get my favorite seasonal Gingerbread Latte.  I've still got $30 on my gift card from last year!   I'll have John go by Lowe's so I can pick up paint to finish off the chifforobe.

I can't remember the last time I mopped floors but I definitely think it should be done this week.

The fridge will surely need sorting out properly after all the leftovers I've shoved in from Thanksgiving.  I find more and more I'm struggling with my ability to make the best of the space in my fridge.  That this refrigerator is twice the size of the one it replaced appears to be moot.DONE

I'll take time to clean the oven properly since the chicken I cooked for Thanksgiving dinner popped and spattered all over the inside of the oven.  I've discovered two things that I plan to implement to help keep my oven cleaner.  One is an oven liner.  This seems to me a brilliant idea. I watched as Tawra on Living on a Dime vlog, lifted hers out of the bottom of the oven after a pecan pie cooked over and caught fire.     The other thing is a tip I've picked up watching Jacques Pepin videos.  He never puts a casserole dish or pie in the oven unless he has a baking tray under it to catch spills.  I plan to start doing that as well, in fact I did just that on Thanksgiving.  It just never occurred to me to use one to go under the chicken!

I'm going to walk through each room of the house and make notes of what jobs really need to be done so I am well prepared for my Zone work in December.

I will take up the autumn décor and put back in the shed and try to start decorating the house for Christmas.  I've no idea what my theme is to be this year.  I did a fast job on the tree this year using red and blue ball ornaments and snowflakes.   Katie says I need to add a sheer white silver wire edged ribbon to the tree to finish it off.   I was leaning towards a ribbon garland before she suggested that.   I want a new topper, having long tired of the one that's on the tree now.  I think I'll start at the Dollar General in time and then widen my search from there if I find nothing.

My Christmas cards are ready to go out.  I need to buy stamps and encourage John to sign the stack on the table that he typically sends notes in.

I have a load of sheets in the wash that I will hang on the line.  The sky has cleared since sunrise and the wind is out of the north and cold.  I think the sheets will dry while I am gone today.  It's been a few weeks since we've had dry weather to hang sheets and towels on the line.   There's a full load of dishes that needs to be run this morning as well.



...I plan meals:


The number of meals I have not made of late is astonishing.  I just never got to the point on Wednesday I could bake our turkey as I'd planned,  so I set aside stuffing, sweet potato casserole and broth for gravy and we'll make our 'at home' Thanksgiving Turkey Breast Saturday.  I'm pretty sure the leftovers will see us safely through the weekend...So we'll call that two meals right there.

on my own X2

Turkey Tetrazinni, Tossed Salad, Garlic Bread

Polska Kielbasa, Creamed Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions

Italian Pepper Steak, Rice, Green Beans, Garlic Bread

I put a plethora of things in the freezer when I cleared the fridge yesterday.  No entrees but lots of sides and a the turkey breast bone and trimmings as well as the remains of the chicken.

...I plan my leisure:


I continue to read a chapter or two of the Roosevelt Autobiography daily.  I finished the Grace Livingston Hill book.   I shall try to finish Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm this weekend.  I also finished the Jerusalem cookbook.  It's gorgeous but the number of specialty ingredients makes the book fairly impractical and since I am not familiar with the flavors I hesitate to make substitutions in most recipes.  I am now reading through a coffee table sized book my late father in law gave me called Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cookbook which is all about the food history of the United States and the various cultures which brought dishes to this country as well as native foods.  I'm quite interested in trying several of the recipes from the first section which dealt with the Pilgrims and Native American cultures.

I've been enjoying several British programs of late: The Great British Baking Show Masterclass for one and a few real estate shows like "To The Country" which features different regions of England and gives history and industry overviews not to mention gorgeous period cottages.

I'll try to spend some time working on my genealogy notebooks and making notes of further research items to look into.  I find this a particularly nice way to spend a Saturday.





9 comments:

Debby in Kansas said...

I love the idea of making a new tradition on that Friday night with the grands. Kids love that repetitive thing and they never seem to forget! I remember meeting a young family at a donut shop in early Dec. one year. She said that donuts after cutting down a Christmas tree is their new tradition. They had done it the year before, just on a fluke. But they explained that after cutting their tree down that morning, they headed home. They pulled into their driveway to find their 4 yr. old just raining tears in the backseat. When asked why he was so sad, he said, "We ALWAYS stop aND get donuts after the tree!" So, they all got back into the car, tree still tied up, & went for donuts! That's where we met them & their son was happily munching on a red & green frosted donut with a little Rudolph on top!
That's a kid for you. One time and IT'S TRADITION!

Funny you should mention the oven liner. Aldi had them on special a couple of weeks ago and I bought one for after cleaning the oven. That will be this week!

I'm taking down all of the Thanksgiving stuff this week, but we're putting up very little for Christmas. We have some floor holes (don't ask, I couldn't explain!) to repair throughout the house and it's easier to get to them when there's no fear of damage. The only thing going up is a little Christmas village on the mantel. I painted it from white plaster when I was in my 20's. My husband has always loved it so that will be our entire décor.

We had snow and crazy wind yesterday. It should mostly melt off today so I'm hoping to get out safely tomorrow. There is very little out there that would cause me to risk a slip on the ice. I've had too many friends break things on a slip. I'm too fat and too old to try and heal something up!!

Lots on my to-do list this week. Am putting a vegetable beef soup in the crockpot for dinner later. Maybe some corn bread to go with.

We painted the master bath over the weekend, but due to several problems, we didn't get to the bedroom. That'll have to be during Christmas. I didn't wear my glasses when I taped so I have several lines of the old color above the tile that need my attention. Grrr.
Otherwise, the color is a lovely green and it feels so fresh. Lots to go, but I'm hoping to wrap this entire project up by NY.

Enjoy your week, Terri!

Lana said...

Somehow Christmas is not even on my radar yet except for ordering up tons of presents from Amazon today. Our DIL had the house all decorated for Christmas but it did not feel like Christmas at all. It was wonderful to have someone else in charge of the holiday. I saw the Instant Pot in action there and decided that I do not want one of those. But, the Nest thermostat, oh my I want two of those but it would be $500 I think. It learns your habits and then just changes the temp on its own but not at all like a programmable. I made steel cut oats in my little Zojirushi rice cooker for my breakfast by setting it up last night and coming downstairs to delicious oats. They are not as good on the stove top. It does not have a setting for grits but I am going to experiment with stone ground grits and see if they can be ready in the morning. When we arrived home we took out a turkey breast to thaw and so I think it will be ready to cook on Wednesday.

I am not at all familiar with the Kraft theater. Sounds like we missed out on something good. I have never been a big fan of Hallmark movies except the 'Sarah, Plain and Tall' series.

Beckyathome said...

I'm glad you got a wonderful weekend with the boys. There's nothing like children to make a holiday feel like a holiday to me.

I had to laugh about the 4-year-old eating donuts. We have to be so careful with my autistic niece and her brother. They want to turn every single thing into their "routine" and "tradition" if they like it. For example, every single Sunday without fail, we get our niece a Coke from McDonald's after church. A couple of weeks she wanted to add French fries to our stop. I said a quick, firm "No." It seems mean, but she would expect those as routine every single Sunday from then on. If we do give her an extra treat of some sort, we have to preface it with "this is for today only," and things like that. It can work in our favor, too. On Sunday, my nephew wanted to make Snickerdoodle cookies. We did, but he said, "I need to eat a bagel before I can have a cookie." I was just going to let him have the cookie, but I will never tell:)Routine was my friend yesterday:)

Anonymous said...

Do They still make Hallmark Hall Of Fame movies? I haven't seen a new one advertised for ages. Years back they used to be extra special shows. the last ones I saw were not very special and the theme of the shows nothingness. So many the movies are girl from the city comes home to her small town and finds her boy. Cookie cutter. I did like the Kraft shows ! But then again I am old enough to remember the beautiful ads for Breck shampoo featuring the beautiful portraits of Breck Girls too !! So many beautiful things to remember. :)
I have not heard of the show 'To The country". It sounds wonderful.

Oh do I remember the grandchildren's eyes looking on in wonder. :)) Such special times never to be forgotten days and nights with them growing up. And they did just that.. .. grew up !! To see them enjoying the movies I loved growing up and doing crafts and taking nature walks. We had a tradition where they brought the book they were currently reading. We each read a part out of ours that we loved and told each other why we loved or disliked their book. One had a hard time with reading at first but soon overcame that. We would get on the big bed each time with Lots of pillows and read. Sometimes afterwards they would fall asleep for a while. I don't know who loved it more...me or them. I envy you having this time with little boys now. I rejoice though that you get to do it !!!!! Their move and having your daughter close too now will change your lives forever. And theirs.

For some reason this year I noticed the first homes decorated outside for Christmas and that was my Christmas moment. Usually the lights don't 'get me' like that. I have been exited ever since that day. :-)

I am reading the book that was the influence for the Home Fires PBS series. I love it. It is also called Home Fires. So much WW2 England information and a very good read. Sarah

Debby in Kansas said...

Sarah, thanks for the tip on the HOme Fires books. I love reading books set in the 40's. I'm currently reading the Darling Dahlia series by Susan Wittig Albert. I don't care for her other series at all, but I love the Dahlias.

If you're looking for a different type of Hallmark movie, I'll share my favorite that isn't cookie cutter at all. It's called The Magic of Ordinary Lives. Set in the 1940s during the war. We did watch a Christmas one over the weekend that we borrowed from the library. It was called A Journey Back to Christmas, also set in the 1940's....and current time! My dad recommended it & we enjoyed it. The Christmas Card is another favorite of mine. I'd like to order it from Amazone, but it's pretty pricey at $30.

Debby in Kansas said...

The Dahlias is actually set in the Depression era. I love their garden tips, recipes, & money saving tips! It's like a bonus section to the stories!

Tammy said...

Thanks for the thoughts on traditions and how things change. I've worked really hard to have special traditions in our family, and some of those are threatened by changing dynamics involving others who are no longer part of our family. I do not give up my family traditions easily, so he's got a fight on his hands for some things, for others I'm willing to adjust.
I love your idea for a new tradition of having grands spend the night on Friday after Thanksgiving. What a fun way to kick off the holiday season!

terricheney said...

Debby, I'm sorry the painting did not go as planned for Thanksgiving. I know you were very much looking forward to having that done. I love the Christmas Tree and donuts story! Thank you for sharing your movie and book choices.

Sarah, There are several Hallmark movie channels but I'm not aware of Hallmark movies on local channels as they used to show them. I loved the Kraft theatre and the ad spreads they did in the women's magazines that showcased the same recipes in the same holiday month, too.

Becky, I do enjoy children for their sense of wonder at this stage. I agree they make a holiday special.

Tammy, Holidays become a minefield of negotiations once our children marry. If they divorce and have shared custody it becomes more of a struggle. Finding a new tradition eases that strain considerably. It is for that reason that we tend to do 'family day' once a quarter. It's been six months since our last family day and I'm ready to get back into that habit. I need to sit down with my calendar to try to determine what day will work for all this month.


Anonymous said...

My husband loves the movie "The Christmas Story. He insists it was his childhood. When our first grandson came along he loved watching the movie with Grandpa, so Grandpa couldnt wait for his younger brother to get old enough to watch it with him. He watched about 20 minutes, "this thing is really dumb" and off to play he went. Grandma D