In My Home This Week: Non-Traditional Holiday





This week in my home, I have planned for a non-traditional Thanksgiving day...and the only thing stuffed this week is my head.   I did manage to get an overpriced turkey breast for us to cook here for the two of us, but our menu for the small gathering at Mama's is Chicken, not turkey.

Katie texted that she feels the 'funk' coming on.   Seeing as how I am now on day 10 of recovery, I don't believe she's going to be up to even such a small family meal as we'd planned.  I'll lay odds she opts to spend the day at home in bed resting hard, especially since she's on probation as a new hire and cannot miss work unless they send her home.   She'd told me on Friday that Matt is ill with the stuff as well...Ugh.  I'm most thoroughly sick of being sick and not feeling well and having family ill.  The little boys and Bess were not much better this past week and Isaac was sick in the night last night.  I am prone to agree that what we've likely had is flu given the duration of it for all households. Mind you not one of us was really ill two weeks ago when we met up except Bess who stayed home.



I am feeling well enough  to look at my home with eyes that see the work required and not a whit of energy I want to part with to do any of it.  It's too cool to even consider going out to finish washing off the porch, especially with me still rattling and snuffling...I can barely fathom where I should be in my zone cleaning either.  I'm thinking this last week was meant to be beds and baths and I barely paid any attention to either beyond a basic clean.  Well, here's hoping I can do something more in the coming month.

Work Plan:  


Finish up the work on our checkbook/bills for Harvest.  This week is a pay week.  I've done this in stages this time around and I'm almost done.  John will pick up his check on Tuesday and hopefully deposit it that day.

Technically, the zone is porches/patio/shed.  I sat on the back porch this afternoon and it looks okay.  I don't have plants to freshen things up with.  I will sweep and wipe off things.  I'll use the blower to blow away the leaves on the patio.   I may even sneak out to the shed and clear up another section of shelving.

Prep ahead our dinner for Thanksgiving Day, namely the dressing is what needs to be prepped and the chicken must be thawed.   John loves his canned cinnamon rolls and I need to pick those up tomorrow while we're in the grocery.  I'll make some Sausage Balls to go with them.

 Black Friday shopping is not on my list of things to do at all...yet I usually manage a quick CVS trip to get a few things that are just too good to pass up.  Easy enough since our nearest CVS is seldom busy during this holiday.

We'll be hanging around the house a lot this week.  On Monday the repairman should have parts to put our heat pump back together.

I typically start to decorate for Christmas once Thanksgiving is done.  I'll definitely be digging around for decorations and the tree.  I'd made up my mind about a color scheme this year and then I went online and looked at some photos that used the same colors and realized it didn't show up well in photos, so I changed my mind...but then I recalled I seldom take pictures of much of my Christmas anyway, so I'm going to see what I have and go from there.  I'm definitely going to put the tree on the floor next to the mantel this year instead of on the bench at the window.

Menu Plan:

Steak, Heritage potatoes, Green Salad

Deli Fried Chicken (if available or something else from the deli if not)

Macaroni and Cheese, Sliced Tomatoes, Green Beans

two times on my own

Thanksgiving Day: (my portion)  Roast Chicken, Dressing, Gravy, Sweet Potato Casserole

Roast Turkey, Butternut Squash, Creamed Cabbage

Reading/Fun:


I need to finish the Roosevelt autobiography,  Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggins and The Man from the Desert by Grace Livingston Hill.   As soon as I get these three knocked out I'm going to gather my favorite books with Christmas scenes in them to read through December.

Josh has asked to spend the night and I'd very much like to have him.  I'd planned to have him and Isaac both today for a morning of play but John vetoed the idea because of my not being fully recovered.  Since Josh is out of school this week I'm going to try to do both these things.  It will give the parents a break and be fun for us.  I do not know if Isaac will spend the night or not.  He gets ready to go home to Daddy awfully quick after he has a meal.

6 comments:

Lana said...

Ugh! I'm sorry the crud is just going on and on for all of you. I don't know of anyone who has been sick here except our best friends but they had been to Africa and brought back all manner of junk to clear up.

We are working hard to be ready for an appraisal on our house at 10 Monday morning and then we are not doing anymore chores this week since we are going out of town. Our youngest son is doing all the cooking and I only have to bring a pie. Just one pie. I am pinching myself. Tuesday morning we will have breakfast with our best friends like we do every week but a day early. Then we will stop by Publix for this week's deals and get the van washed. Wednesday we are off to our son's just three hours away. Their new house even has a guest room for us. :) I did pick up a small turkey for us at 33 cents a pound that I may thaw and roast when we get home or just save it for later on this Winter. I could hardly pass it up for so little money.

Hoping for a better week for your family and a blessed time together to give thanks for all our many blessings.

Rhonda said...

Oh dear, I’m so sorry Katie may be sick with the same bug. That will be hard to work full time as well. Nina is finally starting to feel better from her conditions and it’s such a relief.

Anonymous said...

I had the flu once,years ago. Every bone in my body hurt. I was on clear liquids for nearly a week. The Doctor said loss of appetite and fever were pretty good indicators of the flu. So, I can certainly sympathize with how you feel. It took me a full month to completely get rid of the cough and get my energy back. I hope you guys are well soon.



Shell

Karla said...

Praying for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Terri, so sorry you and John have been feeling so poorly for so long. I do hope you both will be well this week. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthyThanksgiving.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Out My window said...

I hope you all get over what ever you managed to get. It has been a long haul for all of you. Have a Happy thanksgiving in spite of the crud. Give those grand babies a hug and you mother a kiss.