In My Home This Week: Finishing January Well





Hard to believe this month is nearly done but here we are with just a few days left.  February is just around the corner.  I am well satisfied with what I've done this month and will continue to work at odd jobs to finish the month out, but no big plans as you'll see.


If January is an indicator of how 2019 might go then I'll be well satisfied.  It's been a good dose of family and alone time, work and pleasure.  I very much have enjoyed this month.  I look forward to February.

Work:


Really.  Finish the outside of the chifforobe.  I got too caught up in plumber being here and general housework and such on Friday to do a thing about painting.

Even though we typically don't itemize, John always asks me to gather our paperwork, so tax paperwork is on my list this week.  Fortunately most of it is together.  I just need to organize it.

Sew the zipper into my wingback chair cushion cover.

Find new pictures to put into my bathroom.  The ones there have been in since last January and they are lovely but I've tired of them.

Complete pantry and freezer inventory.  This is something I must to do (a) identify where I need to focus stocking up and (b) know just what I do have on hand to make meals with.  I was surprised at all the 'finds' in the freezer last week when I was digging about.

Make a Turkey pot pie and chicken salad.  The Turkey Pot Pie will go into the freezer unbaked as a future ready to bake entrée.

Go shopping.  Specifically to look for some decent shirts to put into my house wardrobe.  I won't buy anything expensive but I will pick up a half dozen or so.  I find I've pants aplenty to choose from but the shirts are either very soiled or very snug.  It is a good time to go look over the clearance racks.   And bras.  I will go buy bras this week, at least two, if I can find my size.

And oh yes, it's Harvest week so we'll likely shop for groceries sometime this week as well.  I will need lettuce and milk and bread for sure

Pick up the stinking sticks in the yard.  I had partially picked up the prunings I'd made back in November but plenty more have blown down in the heavy winds of the past week or so.
I also need to prune back the yellow rose bush.  I completely forget it earlier in the fall and I don't want to put it off any longer.  Now while it's good and cold is a good time to attend to that.

Zone:  No zone declared this week.  The house is looking really nice overall, the porches are clean and the shed has seen some clearing.  Even the pantry and freezer have been organized this month though I don't know just what is in either one.  Since Friday is the first day of February, I feel it's fine to just wait until next week to start over with the zone areas.  Maybe by that time I'll have noted jobs to attend to in each area.


Menus:

Chili, Salad, Cornbread and an Apple Tart courtesy of Bess.  That tart was is so good!

on my own x2

Pot Roast, Salad  something I'll leave in the crockpot when we go to church.

Chicken Rice Soup and Chicken Salad Sandwiches.  I have a portion of soup with a lot of broth in it that will be mine.  John can stand the extra carbs of the thicker soup.

Macaroni and Cheese, Sliced Tomatoes, steamed Broccoli

either a take out meal or I'll pull an entrée from the freezer.  John generally likes to eat out when we've gone shopping.

Leisure:



Just try and find an 'at leisure' photo of a woman.  They are either in bed or shopping...

Finally finished The Scent of Water.    I don't know why I took so long with it.  I found it completely absorbing as always and sobbed a bit with happiness at the ending, sigh.  I have since picked up the Eleanor Roosevelt Biography and knocked out three more chapters this morning.  And We Had Everything But Money which someone sent me and I found on the bookshelf last week and set aside to read.  I've enjoyed the stories I've read thus far.  

I also took out my vintage magazines for February.  I shall cull these as I did last months' issues.  I'm aiming to keep only 5-7 tops of each month which is still a LOT of magazines.  I'll take time to read a little over the week from each one.

I really need to find some new leisure activities, lol...


5 comments:

Out My window said...

I just bought new shirts when I was in DC. Mine were all stained or really tatty from gardening and just general wear and tear. Or pit stained as I am a sweaty little monkey. I would love to see a picture of the chifforobe.

Sandy Dixon said...

I so enjoy all of the pictures you choose for your posts. I really consider each one. You have so many ways and things that you enjoy that I do and even share birthday month as do our husbands! I was cleaning out a chest in my sewing room and re discovered some very old issues of Workbasket Magazine from the 1950's that I plan to browse thru. I also have a pile of articles from very old Womans day magazine all written by Gladys Taber. Are you familiar with her ?She wrote so many great books about her life at her home in Connecticut called Stillmeadow. Also my dear friend and I are getting together this week to plan our road trip to do Peaches to Beaches in March! We are going to go are far as we can then hopefully find a B&B and do the other side of the highway going back home LOL! Blessings on you as you head into February!

terricheney said...

Out My Window, Shirts and I...Even if I wear aprons I stain my shirts! And so often I forget and go out and paint in them or I spill something on the bits not covered by an apron, etc. So I buy pretty cheap ones and wear them until I feel a bit ashamed to be caught in them, lol.

Sandy, Indeed I do know Gladys Taber and have several of her books. I found her when I was a very young woman and I've enjoyed her ever since. I'd forgotten Peaches to Beaches was coming up! I missed it entirely last year as the family had moved in with us by then and it wasn't possible to go.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi Terri, I was pleasantly surprised to see a comment from you today! Thanks for stopping by! I had that We Had Everything But Money book and a few others in that series. Very interesting stories - definitely the fond memories of the depression!

I've had some health issues in the past few years so I'm not that involved in the blog world these days. My daughter helps me run my site along with a few other people. But I happened to see comments from You and Carol (art & sand) today and had to come by to say hello to an old friend!

Debby in Kansas said...

Santa got me "We Had Everything but Money" for Christmas & I read it all by New Years! I loved reading all the ways they made it through the depression years.

Tax gathering is on my list this week, as well. The sooner we get it done, the better. I used to work very near to a major Los Angeles Post Office when I was in my 20s. I can still see the lines snaking every which way down the streets- all people mailing their taxes on the last day, in the last hours. It always seemed nuts to me.

I'm in the Living Room & Dining Room zones this week. There's not much to it, mostly highly detailed dusting (think curio cabinet) and vacuuming (moving furniture). Then it's on to the fun stuff. I'm embroidering some flour sack towels for a friend and sewing some small blankets for a local children's home. I get to listen to a book on CD when I do that so it combines two of my very favorite activities....crafting and reading.

I took some chicken tenders out of the freezer for tomorrow night. I need to peruse my recipes and see if I can find something fun to do with them.