Worth Sharing This Week: December 21-27



The Nester shared her minimalist Christmas and I went to view it.    It's nice, not too much, not too frou frou.  I do admire those who know their aesthetic and stick to it.  However it was the quote she put in that post that seemed most appropriate as a phrase to use over the next year.





From the January 1944 Elsa Connors column in Woman's Day magazine was the suggestion of a new sort of dairy to keep: Things Worth Remembering..."I am going to copy a friend of mine who has produced a journal that is a treasury of living, in which she has, for years, recorded Things Worth Remembering.  The title, she says, prevents her journal from accumulating grievances and immortalizing petty nothings."

Do you know what I did last week?  I tore the pages from four years worth of journals and shredded them, following Sarah's long ago advice to add the shredded pages to my compost and let those journals become part of the land on which I've lived those years.  I didn't read through them first because honestly those past four years were best lived through just once.  I don't want anyone in my family to come across them later down the road and be hurt by my words of worry or criticism.  Those things were best kept to myself and the privacy of those journals.  And now they are kept by the compost bucket in which they become something more fertile than what they were.

 I will continue journaling in the difficult places as I find it often opens my mind to solutions and facts I might not have seen for emotion clouding my vision but I'm going to keep a separate notebook titled  'Things Worth Remembering', as well.  How nice would that be to read back through year after year?



Carolyn shared this video about turkey via email last week.  It was a fun watch but full of good ideas.  I think the recipes sound good but of greater interest to me was the way she put the turkey in the fridge and just covered it with a tea towel.  I think I'd like to try that Turkey Pinwheel recipe.



Oh what a happy day!  I found new posts up on The Cultivating Project.  These are lovely Christmas posts.  And you must know that yet again "O Come O Come Emmanuel" is involved once more.  I think it would be lovely to listen to The Piano Guys version as you read these posts...



I have a whole listing of blogs that are either practically ancient they've been around so long or are defunct but still up to be read.  I keep them in a file called "To Explore Deeply" so I can go back in the archives and read while they are still online to study.  This past weekend I read this post from Lanier Ivers about old books.  Lovely truths, and exactly why I feel as I do about the older books to be read, often I admit, to the detriment of new books that might also be excellent.  I am forever caught in a web of the past one way and another.


"White Christmas", the movie, with Danny Kaye, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen.  Let's just pause a moment for the gorgeous (!!) dresses the girls wore....sigh!   "White Christmas" is a lovely song of course, but by far my most favorite was  "Counting My Blessings".


A stumble upon on Prime this past week was this old movie, "Beyond Tomorrow" which opens on Christmas Eve at dinner time.  Rather a nice movie though why good boys must be swayed by obviously bad women is beyond me and no I'm not giving anything away.  You really must watch it.  It was all grainy and flickering at points, signs of an authentic old film.


It was sunny Christmas Eve.   I had encounters of all sorts that day though I pretty much stayed at home.  First, when I sat down to read my Bible, I glanced out the window towards the cemetery behind our house and there was a great black bulk that my mind registered first as horse and then acknowledged that we have no horses here.  I knew immediately it must be the big buck deer that Sam has been stalking for the past few months and indeed there were three young does there as well, much more brown than he.  When I slipped to the back door to open it and peek out, he was gone immediately.  The does stood around and looked after him and around as though to say "What?"

When I picked up mail on my way to carry off the trash a little lizard greeted me inside the mailbox.  I'm just grateful I saw him before I took up the mail or he'd have dashed up my arm and into the car and I just wasn't up to that much excitement.  I left the mail box door open while I went on to the trash site and when I returned there he sat sunning himself, sigh.  I encouraged him very gently to leave the mailbox, but I suspect he rather liked the dry space to be in over the past few days.

That evening I went out and had a nice little sit on the back porch.  I shushed Maddie's whining by burying my bare toes deep into her fur.  She was so warm and it felt so good, a nice shield against the slight chill creeping into the air that near sunset.    The birds were happy with the sunny day and tweeted and chirped.  I could see the glint of sun on their wings when I looked over towards Sam's as they flitted from tree to bush and back again.   And then I heard the peepers singing...It might well be angels' voices we have come to expect but it was peepers I heard trebling away in all our wet spots.



Now Christmas is past, it's the time to consider buying bulbs for forcing indoors.  I love Amaryllis but I think this year I'd like to try my hand at a pebble filled bowl of daffodils or hyacinths.  Not paperwhites.  They are just fine for the yard but they smell awful...I know this first hand.  Granny didn't care for hyacinths.  She always called them 'Funeral Flowers'.  I've no idea why she associated them with funerals but she always did, however she loved the tiny little grape hyacinths, also known as muscari.  Those too might be forced, as can crocus.   I have a lovely blue and white china bowl my former mother in law gave me one year and it was filled with crocuses in bloom, quite lovely.  I think I'd like to fill that bowl once more but alas I've planted my Staghorn Fern in it and it's flourishing so I am reluctant to move it.  But wait...I have a blue and white stoneware bowl I bought at thrift store that would do even better.  Oh yes! note: found Amaryllis for $3 each at Lowe's and got two.  Didn't see any other bulbs.


A lovely performance of Mozart's Laudate Dominium by Barbara Hendricks.  I was never exposed much to operatic singing but when I was in physical rehab following that run-in with the drunk driver years ago, the evening charge nurse shared with me her great love of opera and I've listened with a growing appreciation over the years since.


A very intriguing article in my state electric co-op magazine revolved around newly invented musical instruments.  I am always intrigued by how some(i.e.John) can hear rhythms and make music from them, how children can often create instruments  from simple things so I had to go listen to these new instruments. Some I like really well, some not so much but just the same I was happy that technology offers me the opportunity to have a listen to them.

The Glide, Airsticks, SpiderHarp and the Koritas may be listened to by clicking on each of the links herein.



Eye of Round Roast is something I've not had often but found it to be relatively inexpensive at the grocery this weekend and not typical of the roasts I'd normally buy.  I brought it home and looked it up online.  The Round section of roasts and steaks are cut from the hindquarter, which is the working muscles of a cow.   These cuts are very lean and generally require slow cooking to tenderize them.  It wasn't what I had in mind, however.  I'd wanted a more elegant sort of cut to be honest and I went on over to YouTube and several websites to look for means to make my pig's ear into a silk purse.   Fortunately I found I could indeed make this cut taste more like a tenderloin roast.

Typically the eye of round roasts  are cut into 3-4 pound roasts.  You'll be slicing this meat thin and since it's a boneless cut it will net you enough meat to serve about 8-12, I should think.

This is the way I cooked mine, since I have a gas oven.   If yours is an electric one it will hold heat better and can be finished differently.  I'll share that method at the end.

Take meat from fridge about an hour before you mean to start cooking it.  I stripped the paper wrapping off mine and salted it with sea salt and spread minced garlic over it.  Rosemary would have been lovely but I got distracted and forgot it.  Shame too since I have that big bush nearly three feet round at the back steps...   Now let the meat sit for about an hour.

About 15 minutes before you want to start cooking pre-heat your oven to 500F.  Place meat in pan.  I suggest you lightly tent it in foil, but do not wrap it, because the fat will spatter the inside of the oven and things might get a bit smoky indoors.   Put pan in hot oven.  Plan to cook meat 20 minutes for every pound.  My roast was almost 3 1/2 pounds so I cooked mine at that temperature for 60 minutes.  I then cut the heat back to 350F and cooked it another half hour.  I removed it from the oven and checked the internal temperature which read at 150F.  I covered it with foil and let it sit on stove top for another half hour.  This produced a medium rare roast that was tender and very flavorful.

An alternate method is to start at 500F for twenty minutes per pound then cut down to about 200 or even warm on the gas oven for an hour.  I wanted to cook the Cauliflower dish and needed the higher heat.  It worked in my favor.

Now for an electric oven, do all the initial steps of bringing meat to room temperature and seasoning and pre-heating the oven.  Then cook for 20 minutes per pound at 500F (tent foil over).  Cut off oven once the meat has cooked for that period of time and let it sit for an hour in the oven.  Check internal temperature and if it's around 145F cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes or so.

So when you're in the market for a 'nice roast dinner' consider this lovely cut and this method of cooking it.  It makes a lovely bit of pan juices for gravy or au jus.

Coconut Thumbprint Cookies

My two youngest have a favorite Christmas cookie that is simple as can be but they fight over the things so that I must make up a batch for each of them.  I'm going to share the original recipe with you, just as it was written when I first found it in a magazine years ago.  I'll share at the end what I changed because over the years I've adapted it to suit my family's tastes.

1 roll of sugar cookie dough
1-2 cups moist coconut (see my notes at bottom!)
1 small jar strawberry preserves

Cut sugar cookie dough log in half lengthwise, then cut in half lengthwise again, so you have four logs.  Cut each log into one inch pieces then roll into balls between palms.  Roll balls into moistened coconut.  Place on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Gently press thumb into top of cookie ball and fill that depression with 1/4 tsp strawberry preserves.  Bake 350F for 11-13 minutes.  Remove from oven. Let sit for a couple of minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool.

This makes a lovely cookie for tea by the way.

notes:  True this is delicious just as written but Katie is allergic to strawberries so I sub in raspberry jam.  Still tastes great.  I would like to try it with lemon curd or pineapple preserves but my children would mutiny if I did this at Christmas.

In a fit of economy one year I mixed up a batch of my sugar cookie recipe and used that instead.  Works just fine.  Ultimately you'll end with about four dozen cookies and you'll likely need a little more coconut as this tends to make more than the store bought rolls of dough.

I don't buy the more expensive moist shredded and sweetened coconut.  I buy the least expensive which is more dry.  Then I add about 2 tablespoons of water to two cups of coconut and pop in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.  Out comes a bowl of moistened coconut.  This little trick will save you $1-$2 per bag!



I have learned that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. ~ Thoreau



New Year's Resolutions...Have you made any?  I have a few that I have been pondering on these past two weeks.   Like making reading a habit once more and taking myself off to the library where I  choose more diversified reading than I collect here at home.  There's the Algebra textbooks John gave me for Christmas that I'd like to begin to work my way through.  Crochet, knitting and embroidery.  Aprons.  Flowers.  Here are a couple of links that might intrigue some among you.

If art is something you're interested in, you can find free videos about watercolor painting or hand lettering just now...and other videos that pertain to the kits they sell.  You do not have to buy the kits to benefit from the videos.

I found this site on how to 'dress your personality' from a link Parisienne Farmgirl shared in some very old blog posts.  It's an interesting approach.  I listened to one hour long video the other day.  Again, it's geared to selling a service but the videos are free.

My handwriting is hardly stable.  One day it slants to the right, another day it's upright with far too many curly q's and then another it slants to the left.  Some days every thing is so round I can hardly read it but I've long admired the old Copperplate Cursive Writing.  Perhaps I can learn to write more nicely.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

10 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

The idea of 2 notebooks for journaling is a good idea. Journaling through tough times helps me sort things out and unload them.

It was fun to hear about the peepers singing near your house. I love their little trill because around here it means Spring really is going to come again.

I wish I had a little lizard in my mailbox, but he'd freeze his tail off this time of year here where I live. Your mailbox is his little Christmas cottage.

It would be amazing to look out my door or window and see so many deer. We're in the older suburbs of St Louis. We do occasionally see unusual birds and animals in our neighborhood. An occasional deer or fox will pass through, and last summer I looked out the front door and saw a big female wild turkey strutting her way across the street and into my yard. I had just finished drinking that huge dose of prep stuff for a colonoscopy and was feeling a little woozy and had opened the door thinking some fresh air would help me. That turkey was so big and strutting right toward me, that I seriously thought for a brief second that I was seeing things. In the more than 40 years we've lived here there have never been any turkey sightings. I blinked my eyes and she was still there so I called out for my husband to come and see. He saw her too, but just briefly before she disappeared behind the side of our house, by the time he got his shoes on to go outside,she was gone.

Sometimes when I see various animals when or where I am least expecting them, I get a little superstitious and wonder if there is some meaning behind it. I couldn't think of any possible meaning that a female wild turkey would have, but I did wonder about it.

Lana said...

I saved your movie but it has a different cover so I wonder if I got the right one. We watched The Aeronauts on Prime tonight and it is really good but for someone as afraid of heights as I am it was scary. Worth a watch for sure and based on true events.

Lana said...

I am really thinking about purchasing The Glide! Awesome instrument and it would be a blast to play it along with the player piano.

Here is Edelwies on the Glide. https://youtu.be/ryhwhqgXhMg

Kathy said...

I like the quote!
I enjoyed looking at Nester's house, and while it is pretty, I don't think it is my style. I definitely need more color and warmth and coziness in my life esp at Christmas.
I'm glad you tore up the journal pages. That has to be a relief for you. I burned a hateful letter that my aunt sent me when she was going thru a mental health crisis. She hurt me, but I had to let it go. Now I have to work on letting go of some bitterness towards someone else since it is only hurting me. Why is it that I can pray about it, and let it go, but then before long, I am back to despising that person which made Christmas gathering awkward. I did bite my tongue the whole time, so I didn't add more fuel to the fire. ;)
Your Christmas eve encounters sound interesing. I must admit that I hope that buck stays safe.
Thanks for the movie suggestions. I would love to take a train trip to Vermont in the fall or winter since I have never been there.
Thanks for the tips on cooking the beef. It sounds delicious. And your coconut cookies sound like something my hubby and kids would love. I didn't fix a single cookie this year, but we were gifted many goodies. Maybe I can fix a goodie a month.
Wishing you and your family a very happy New Year!




Carole said...

You know what's best for you, better than anyone else, but I felt that it was a loss when you shredded those journals. You're such a good writer that there must have been a lot of good stuff in them. I understand your need to keep others from knowing exactly what you're thinking, because of course it shouldn't always be shared. Perhaps you might want to write your memoirs that can be shared with family.

terricheney said...

Susie, When we first moved here we were having dinner (we used the kitchen breakfast area as a dining space back then) and I looked up and an EMU ran by...Talk about a brain disconnect. I blinked three or four times and it wasn't until the dog took off after it that I realized it was real. Someone about a mile away apparently was raising them and that one escaped. But I do understand how you felt about the turkey, lol.

Lana, I saw several covers on the movie as well but I think they are all the same. We watched ours on Prime I think...And awesome that you are so inspired by the Glide!

Kathy, Bitter thoughts send down deep roots and you must constantly dig them out again. That's what makes forgiveness an issue to be dealt with over and over again. I like a Corrie ten Boom quote I read last week in which she was asked by someone if she remembered a hurt she'd been dealt by a mutual acquaintance. Her reply was "No...I distinctly remember forgetting that.' It says a great deal doesn't it?

Carole, thank you but I am not as well edited in my journal as I am on these pages. There might have been gems and revelations but often I will share those here if that is so. My journal tends to be more messy, fretting, worrying, an outpouring of all the top layers of stuff until something comes around that is worth the excavation. I think if I've lost anything it might well be a happy memory here and there and that is a regret but for the most part, I tend to ignore my journal unless things are mighty difficult and angst ridden or painful. John and I discussed this a number of years ago about my letting go of my journals and we agreed that rather than have anyone acquire them who might be upset by my worries or criticisms of them that it would be kinder to have those things laid to rest. I'm comfortable with my choice. And perhaps you are right, a written memoir to be shared openly with family might well be the better way to go.

Lana said...

DOWNTON ABBEY MOVIE IS ON PRIME!!! We never got around to seeing it in the theater.

Mable said...

I had a bunch of old letters my father wrote me when I was in boarding school. As I was rereading them, hurtful as many of his comments were (usually about how I was a giant disappointment to him in looks and social skills and intellect and how no man would ever want such a deficient woman), I realized my father, who was 17 when I was born, was writing them to me when he was about 30. It did not help me to completely forgive him but it made me think about things I did at 30 that I wish I could redo now. I was reading them to my husband, who stopped me and said, "You have a Ph.D., you have had a great marriage for 38 years to a man who thinks you are beautiful. I think you are an example of 'living well is the best revenge.'" So, because I can't help ruining things I said that I noticed he didn't say anything about my social skills...I am very shy and introverted and find meeting new people to be excruciating. And my husband, who cannot tell a lie, said, "Well, you are not the most socially adept person but I find your shyness a virtue in a world where everyone seems to be happy to be 'in your face.'" I am going to follow your example and destroy the letters so hurtful to me and various journals that I unloaded in and would hate for someone to find after I died!

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I have thrown into the real trash anything I do not want in my compost and therefore in my dirt to plant in later. :) I am still throwing out pages as they fall out of very favorite old copies of books I loved {But get another copy of}.. any family letters and cards I can dare so far to part with. etc. I love that parts of their clothing or whatever can compost and is natural is part of my life and soil under our feet and also help us grow the food that nurtures us....Like these books and letters and love nourished us when we got them.

One thing I have learned as the years past. Throw out any cards or things as you can from friends and family while they are still alive. Once they have died it is way harder to do. I now don't save many birthday cards and such from people if all they do is sign their names. I have saved a few favorites and use them as book marks. Notes are considered to save or not. Yes I cherish the letters sent to me by my father. Ones Mom sent with little stories of life in etc. Special things I am glad I did save. Any family ancestral information naturally is saved and shared right then with our children. I e-mail copies of information as I gt it so it is not forgotten. They then have the responsibility to file and take careof this information for their own families. If my notes are not found ..THEY got it already and it is not as worrisome to me if only my one copy is made. :)

I started a book of little messages for the family to share later. Stories of times together. Life lessons I learned that might help them at some point. Notes on times we had together and what it meant to me or to us as a couple. Favorite books and why. Movies and such too. My faith and what it means to me. How much it means for them to have faith too. Many things I write down as I become inspired. They are told where this notebook will be. The pages are in a notebook so it is easy for them to take one or more pages out to copy if they want later. This form is also good if I want to redo a page or throw it out. I date each message and at times add my age at the time. Stories of times as they were when I was growing up or married at the age they are now etc. Things I wish I knew about my own family. It is one thing to know our former family members date of birth and statistics but to Know them inside is to Know so much more. What did they believe? What work did they do? Did they enjoy it or was it just work to them? Hobbies and skills they had? What stories did they share with other family members? on and on. As I said with a notebook and loose papers you can add to the same story as you remember. I wish I had done amor of this earlier. I am praying this next year will be a relaxing and amazing one for you and your family Terri. That they get to share faith with you and even more times together like you have all started. Sarah

Anonymous said...

A lovely read as always Terri...with inspiring links. I had to comment on the Corrie Ten Boom quote about deliberately forgetting a wrong. Years and years ago I read a similar sentiment from Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross, who was reminded one day of a vicious deed that someone had done to her years before. But she acted as if she had never even heard of the incident. "Don't you remember it?" her friend asked. "No," came Barton's reply, "I distinctly remember forgetting it."
I confess that that quote resonated with me in such a way that I resolved to make that my motto from then on. While I'm not always instantly successful, I believe it has made my life happier and better. Forgiveness and deliberately "forgetting" is very freeing.
Happy, blessed and prosperous new year to all.
Much love,
Tracey
Xox