Coffee Chat: Pardon my Christmas Cheer




Hello dears,
Do come in!  I've coffee and cocoa and hot vanilla milk and iced water and lemonade if you'd rather not pretend the air outdoors isn't heavy and warm and is seasonably chilly and cool instead.

No sweets at the moment.  Those are coming later in the week when I make a batch of Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies for the family holiday.  I'm thinking hard about making something else as a sweet, too, but not sure what at present .   I know in my heart of hearts that in this season too much is always more than we need with a rich meal or treat around nearly every corner in every home but this is a family day and I am one of those who feeds people her love.  Always have been.



The tree turned out nice.  Not what I'd thought it might be but it's nice.  I love my sheep which are not small enough.  They do however, fill up the tree and though I didn't use them all, it is enough.  There are also red birds and a brown bird and frosted glass pine cones and a red plaid ribbon weaving all about through it and it's lovely.

I laughed at myself a little as I'd been reading about decorating my home a couple of years ago  and how I had this vision but then things went in another direction entirely.  Well here's my Christmas décor this year.  I'd imagined a very English sort of Christmas with Dickens Christmas Carol prints in my frames on the wall etc.  What happened?  Well you'll see later this week but in the meantime I'll allow sneak peeks of some of the ornaments on the tree.






The sheep are so cute, though much larger than I'd anticipated once upon the tree.  I will say that they are easy enough to make but I encountered a few problem areas.  The bottoms are very difficult to get just right.  In future I'll likely end redoing these and I'll use plenty of glue or hot glue on that backend of the sheep.  The instructions said to use a tacky glue to adhere tails and ears and I'll tell you right now that hasn't stuck well at all though I used the name brand product and used a plentiful amount.  I'll try hot glue or even sewing them on after this season.

For all that, I'm quite happy with the tree overall.  I have a glittery silver star atop but I'd like a gold one and will look at the dollar store to see if I can find one.  It shouldn't cost very much but it will be more pleasing I think since the tree has such a warm glow overall and the silver star just doesn't have that same appeal.  I'd like it even better if I could find one that lights up.

John asked me how old the tree was when I shared that it had shed something fierce this year.  It's not as old as he imagined it was, his memory going further back to 25 years ago when he bought our first smaller tree, but I reckon it's five or six years old now and it was a cheap one meant to fill the gap between the need of a tree one year and our desire to afford something better...but we couldn't bring ourselves to pay for the better trees and we've just kept using the cheap tree, which has done admirably well,  only this year  refused to light on the bottom row and has shed like it were a live tree.  I suggested perhaps now was the time to seek out a new tree and store it away in the shed for next year.  John assured me if we bought one of the ones we've looked at over the past couple of years ($500 range) we should put it up and keep it up year round, but I said "No...I do like putting it away, so it's special when it does come out."   Cheap though it might have been this tree has been special and it's been lovely for the years we've had it.  I don't need an expensive tree though I do appreciate the 'realness' the higher priced ones  have in their appearance.

But no, I shall not spend $500.  I shall instead wait and look and wait and the tree I want will come to me in it's own good time at a very reasonable price.  Things always seem to work that way if I wait, but never if I rush into purchasing them.  I would like a smaller tree, preferably about 4 -5 feet tall, pre-lit with white lights and I think I'd really like something that looks more like a fir or spruce tree rather than a pine as we've always chosen in the past.

I know that in his heart of hearts John would love a fiber optic tree full of colored lights with a fancy remote to choose how they light up in one of eight or ten ways.   But I had a fiber optic lamp in my teens and it was cheap and flimsy and I can't shake the feeling that the trees would be, too, though I'm likely quite wrong.  Too, I figure if I want color lights on my tree I can add them on cheaply enough but there is no way to get them off if I don't want them is there?  Having seen however, the difference just one added string of lights can make to a tree (and the astronomical cost wanted for those  extra 100 string of lights by tree manufacturers, zowie!)  I am perfectly willing to add a strand or two on my own.   Katie picked up the needed string for our tree this year for $1.50 at the dollar store.  Manufacturers would have you believe they are worth an extra $50 or so per string.  Seriously!  And here's the deal: my pre-lit tree has the exact same lights, the exact same fuses and the exact same type of wire as the ones we just bought.  The main difference is that they are clipped to the branches to hold them in place and if we wanted to do that we might buy those pieces to clip them on for pennies.

We had a nice enough Thanksgiving.  John worked a really tough 24 hour shift before coming home on Thanksgiving morning, but he valiantly fought to stay awake and be good company.   Everyone arrived a little early.   The new baby boy was held by everyone, including the two older little boys.  The baby was just beginning to set up a fuss about his dinner, and Isaac had been kneeling beside the baby seat watching him.  Josh asked "Can't we hold him?" and when I said "Yes, go sit down..." Isaac moved the fastest I've ever seen him move.  He was seated before Josh's long legs were half way to the chair, lol.  They were incredibly gentle and sweet.  Naturally I hovered right over them watching to make sure no sudden moves would bring the baby to harm.  The boys were enchanted.  Later, Josh asked, "Aunt Katie, can't he walk yet?"  and still a bit later, "Does he know how to play ball?"   It shall be fun seeing them with their baby sister in February.


I mentioned my 'fly in the ointment' moment that day which disappointed me far more than I can say.  You see I was in blissful (and I do mean blissful) ignorance of the discord going on.  I'd even sat back in awe at one point and thought "Finally!  a proper family gathering with out any upset or hurt," and wondered at how on earth it had occurred and been thankful for it.  There was only one thing at the very end that was not as it should have been, a very terse and almost rude comment made to another guest and I let it slide because after all it had been such a nice day...

And then, as soon as people began drifting away, I was told  by John that it had not been as I thought.  He shared the talk that had gone on between him and another.   I was so angry when I heard the first report that I uttered an expletive then teared up.   As I was taking Katie home I heard from her that she  had been cornered and targeted with the same poisonous and bitter talk that John had been bombarded with.   I cried on my way back home...Later in the week a third guest reported that he too had been forced to listen to a recitation of it all...

I got very depressed that evening.  I'm sure a portion of my blues was tied to the rich foods , subsequent drop in blood sugar,  the heavy work done that morning and the lack of good sleep the night before, but it owed a good deal to the hatefulness of what was done and the realization that I have but one choice: to stop inviting this person into my home.  The most frustrating thing of all is that the person causing the upset and hurt had purposely avoided the discussion of these things in much more appropriate and private occasions and might even have made a phone call to discuss them with the person they were most upset with.  The subject had come up in a phone call between us when I was screamed at earlier in the month and I'd said then, "You really need to call and discuss this issue with 'X'.  I'm not going to discuss this further with you."   But, no.

This person is very passive aggressive in this manner, often taking advantage of a public occasion to bring up subjects that have festered and been built up in their own mind.  I suspect it's done in this way because things are said very quietly but meant to draw blood or to send another into a tailspin of panic and then the culprit puts on an innocent air and cries and wails and assures that what was heard wasn't what was said.  Believe me after all these years, I know too well how the whole thing plays out and so does the rest of the family, so we've all learned to internalize our angst and do our best to hide our dismay because the failure to cause a scene is not a satisfactory outcome for this person.

It makes it even more frustrating, because one can't say "That's a lie" or "That's not true..."   No there is always an element of truth in the vitrol being spewed about but the result of refusing to discuss it makes this person more and more convinced that they are a sorely used victim and the rude terse remark at the end of the day was directed at someone who had not even been spoken to but was the real intended target of unreasonable anger.

And so part of my depression was the sad realization that after so many years it was indeed time to give my family peace on holidays which have been as miserable for them as they have been for me.  It hurts that I have insisted on inviting this misery on them year after year.   

But after allowing this to swirl and whirl for a good part of a week in my head, I finally sat down with my journal (why didn't I just start there?!) and wrote things out and I began to realize my own truths.  I am not responsible for the problems another generates by stubbornly refusing sound advice.  I am not responsible for that person's happiness nor misery.  I don't have that much power!   I should not feel guilty for establishing boundaries that I will not allow this person to cross.  

My family has honored my request to never be rude or disrespectful to this person no matter how well deserved.  And believe you me, if there are buttons to be pushed or feelings to be hurt, this one has meant to push and to hurt. But it's time to call a halt to it.  After all this time, it is clear that the behavior is only getting more and more prevalent and that there is no intention nor desire to change.  So I must change.

I'm not foolish.  I know too well that there will always be one conflict or another that arises in a family situation.  Family members will be at odds and upsets will occur intentionally and unintentionally.  I know this is part of life. But I do not have to openly invite unremitting discord into our gatherings and I shall not.


Now how does that tie into Christmas cheer?  Well it made me determined that this year, this Christmas season, which I think begins in the days counting down from Thanksgiving, would be happy and joyful.  There must be work and tasks that must be done out of duty but there should be real joy this time of year, too, I think, especially after the difficulties we've faced and come through over the past year.

And so here I am, with a lit tree and Christmas music playing and a feeling of anticipation and happiness that I seldom experience this early in the season.   There's a lovely couple of holidays ahead: family day, a possible outing,  Christmas and Chanukah.  There's a New Year looming, one in which I have great expectations because there is hope once more. I feel I've been through a long dark night but light is breaking on the horizon.  I know that another tough season will come.  It's bound to do so, but oh! it's time now to have a season of joy, don't you think?  I could well sit here and fume and worry about what might come in the future, but why?  So often my worries come to naught and the things that happen are things I never expected anyway.

What shall I do to insure a season of joy?  I'm going to do something special every single day for the month of December.  For one thing, so far we've 'toured' Carmel by the Sea via several video blogs.  Marathon videos on YouTube mightn't sound fun to many but if it's a special destination that I've always wanted to visit, then it's a pleasure to me especially when I get to see the town lit for the holidays.   We also 'visited' St. Augustine via YouTube and took a trolley ride to see the city lit up for Nights of Lights.   That was fun and made us homesick for the place too, lol.  John started talking of vacation in February, but I reminded him there's a baby coming...Whoa with the plans!

I'll decorate other areas of the house, nothing over the top but just some little special touch.  I'd like to buy myself an amaryllis, I got a Christmas cactus  and I long to purchase a lemon cypress which smells so nice.   I'll bake cookies, we'll watch special movies that we watch only this time of year, I'll read my favorite Christmas stories from best loved books like Little Women.  I've bookmarked a couple of things I hope John and I might get to do but I'll not fuss if we can't.  There's plenty that might be done for no cost at all or very little and a small commitment of time...And let's face it, it's not often costs that prevent us doing anything we really want to do.  It's almost always the failure to budget the time to make our wants happen, isn't it?

 I've already planned  things for Chanukah: we have special coffee mugs which change once hot coffee is put in them.   I'll make latkes one  and buy  jelly filled doughnuts that we'll likely eat for breakfast.  I don't usually have carb heavy treats  I've found a movie and some special music, we'll play the Dreidel game and I've ordered a small packet of See's Chocolate bars.

I can think of all sorts of lovely things to do!

John and I were discussing his retirement which comes up daily these days.  We have an official date and he will begin to set things in motion very shortly.  Of course, he periodically worries     about one thing and another but I think it's all going to go far better than he thinks.  For one thing, he'll no longer be working these dreaded 24/48 shifts.  He's already been informed that the county will happily rehire him to work part time and he's been approved for a 12 hour shift once or twice a week instead of a 24 hour shift every third day.    We've seen a hefty bill considerably reduced, which neatly closes the gap between retirement income and our current one.  We've the luxury of being debt free and if savings this year wasn't what I'd planned to make it I'm still astonished that we've done what we have this year.  I am teetering on having repaid the full amount we took from savings to put in the new foundation and we've come to the end of a season of need in our family.

I chuckled when John prayed one more time the other night about our future income.  I asked him afterward if he'd any idea of how many years we've lived off our current income.  He shook his head.  "About 26 years...we've had nearly the exact same net annual income for the past 20 years, despite inflation and cost of living and home repairs and children in school and out and moving away from home and back in again.  We've done absolutely every single thing on about the exact same income we have now for the past 26 years."

 I know he doubts that's true, after all his income records show that his pay increased over the years but technically, I am quite right.  There were windfalls and inheritances that were small enough to boost our income without being enough to be taxable (we had an accountant doing our taxes at the time so I'm quite sure of that!).  There were seasons when I worked and earned the same thing John was making  which meant our income then was ta da! the same as he's earning now.  It makes me laugh when I think how we've worried and feared and struggled and yet, here we are  years nearly 30 years later and it looks as though our retirement is going to be pretty much the same as what we've lived off each year anyway.  I feel God chuckles when he sees us fretting.   Jesus did say "Don't worry about tomorrow..." didn't he?

I made it all the way through November with my small capsule wardrobe.  I was mighty tempted to add in this piece or that but in the end, I reminded myself I'd vowed to try it for 30 days and I'd put back that extra item and reinvent the capsule basic wardrobe all over again.  My take away of the experiment?  That I don't need as many clothes as I have at present but I'd not like to have such a small wardrobe as the one I used in November.  I also realized that while one piece may not suit me at all in one outfit, in another it might well be the star...I'll be less hasty to say I don't like something in the future.

That maroon long sleeved t-shirt comes immediately to mind.   When I wore it with the black jeans, I felt incredibly well dressed!  That was a huge surprise to me.  I wore the same shirt later with the olive drab jeans and I felt a bit like a too early bid for Christmas though the colors go well together.  When I wore it with my blue jeans the day the baby was born, I felt underdressed...I'll lay that at the necklace that basically disappeared against the shirt.

Well the November capsule was enough of a success that I've set up different pieces and more of them for winter wear that I'll try to share photos of this week.    I chose to incorporate pieces for all sorts weather since that would be typical of December through February in my area.  It might be anything from tropical to freezing and so I have heavy sweaters and heavy knit pants, as well as lightweight tops, cardigans and jeans.  I mean to try to wear these things for  three months...So we'll see how that goes, but I don't mean to be as strict as in November.   I've chosen a less colorful,  more basic neutrals sort of palette for my winter capsule.  I'm not sure how that's going to suit me.  I've got teals, grays and black and white.   I've plenty of accessories to add color and fun.

Did I share that when I was clearing up the mess in my closet I sorted through shoes?  I wheedled those down considerably.  It was a late afternoon after I'd spent plenty of time on my feet and it seemed to me a good time to try on shoes I've kept  forever.  When I first lost weight in 2015, my shoe size went down to 7.5 from an 8.5.  Now I find I am nearer 8 - 8.5 depending upon the shoe.  It took absolutely no time to determine what shoes fit comfortably that afternoon and which ones hurt!   And I found one pair of shoes I've never worn at all...Well that will be remedied in this month because I've made them part of my December capsule!

So that's my brief little coffee chat...I hope to have more posts this month because writing is also a joy for me and I find this season of the year is often full of thinking as I look behind and ahead and I contemplate the significance of the month overall.

14 comments:

Chef Owings said...

I had to set healthy boundaries with a family member that did this type of behavior a long time ago and recently in the past few years do it with another member. It was hard but the poison they leave behind is not health for me and others that had to deal with it. Let alone them but that is on them. Not me.
Right now my "capsule" is tee shirt and sweat pants. I do think I will go through my wardrobe and pick out few things to wear that are nicer. I do wear jeans instead of sweats when I am at appts.

Rhonda said...

Good/ morning friend. I love the descriptions of the cousins holding their new baby cousin. I expect you will have lots more sweet times with them.
Sorry about the family discord - we are having some of that right now. But I’ve been so busy doing what needs to be done that I’m truly not dwelling on.
As always, I love your long chatty posts

Anonymous said...

Good morning Terri!

Like Rhonda, I savor your long chatty posts!
Have I mentioned how much I enjoy glimpses of your financial management?
I really appreciated your observation and logic of how you've managed (quite well I might add) with basically the same income for 26 years. All while enjoying the luxury of being debt free! Almost miraculous in this age of inflation. Speaking of such, we just ordered Robert Kiyasaki's newest book "Fake" which we had borrowed and liked so much that Mike wanted his own copy. It's Very eye opening regarding the financial world which most of us don't pay much attention to. Yes, you are so very right, Jesus did tell us "don't worry about tomorrow..." Of course...we meet Him half way by being good stewards of the gifts He gives... your stewardship, in my opinion, has been/is outstanding!

Your enthusiasm for enjoying the holiday season is contagious! I have listened and relistened to the Alison Krause recording with awe and apprection. Also the Emmanuel renditions.

Thank you so much, as always, for a comfy, inspiring read!

Much love,
Tracey
Xox

Lana said...

We have had strife from one family member for many years and this year it is just gone and I don't know why but I am thankful for it. We had just the best visit with our kids and no one was unhappy about anything! A friend reminded me years ago that often the only thing that can be done is to pray for the person in question and it works! A few weeks ago one that I had prayed for for a long time opened up the lines of communication and the hurt between us was resolved with just a few texts back and forth. I am so thankful for that and when I see that person now all we have is big smiles for each other.

We will get the tree up this week. Last year we had it all up and finished and then remembered that all the presents were back under the grand piano next to it and we could not get to them. They had to wait for the grandchildren to arrive so they could crawl back there and hand them out. This year we are saying every day that we have to get the presents out of there before we begin!

I vote for making all the treats you want to for family day! They will surely enjoy them! I made a pecan pie kind of as an after thought for Thanksgiving and we just about ended up fighting over the last of it since it was so good. You can always send them on their way with care packages!

Lana said...

And two more thoughts-once our Christmas trees start shedding we take them outside before setting them up and lightly blow them with the leaf blower. It helps clear them of dust too.

For about the first year after we retired we did not spend any money except the bare necessities for as long as a year. Then we loosened up a bit and now we don't worry about it. It was a process for us of adapting and knowing we had enough and even more than enough.

Mable said...

I came from a very poisonous family; had it not been for the nuns where I went to school, I think I would have turned out to be a bitter and twisted person instead of the just mildly nutty person I am now. I learned very early that I could not associate with my parents, so I moved across the country and saw them just often enough as they aged to make sure they had not been stricken with Alzheimers. Both died while still able to take care of themselves and I have to say that I did not shed a tear when they left this earth---instead I had a huge feeling of relief. It sounds hard hearted but some times you can only save yourself by jumping off the ship and swimming to a different shore by yourself. I was lucky enough to marry a man who healed those wounds and never has shamed me for the various weird behaviors I developed to protect myself in my youth.

We recently splurged on a prelit huge tree and I have to say the ones out now are miles better than the one I bought about 12 years ago. It took me a long time to give in and spend the money, but I have been saving for a new one for a few years and this year I took the leap and have already spent several wonderful evenings reading in a room under the glow of Christmas lights.

I am glad you are back to blogging here.

terricheney said...

Juls, Yes it is poisonous. I fight hard not to swallow it and be infected, lol.

Rhonda, you do a great deal for your family. I know well that no family is perfect but this particular individual has made it very difficult as you know.

Lana, We have prayed for this person for years and the only change is to become worse. It's not the first time we've come up against this particular sort of stubborn spirit but I do find that only a strong boundary line is the best defense.
I keep my tree stored in a closed container but will try blowing it off before I store it and again when I unpack it next year if I haven't gotten a new one.

Mabel, I cannot tell you how much better it makes me feel to read your note. Relief is the only emotion I can imagine feeling when death comes. Sad but true that there are days when I care not if it's mine or the other person's just so long as I'm free of it! And yes, I am a twisted soul with a man who has done his best to allow me the room to unravel the worst with his help.
I am waiting for sales on the trees and will try to get something NOW before we retire while we still have a higher income.

Kathy said...

Love the little sheep and the cute birds.
I'm glad the grandboys were so sweet with their cousin. They will have so much fun playing together as they grow up.
Sorry about the discord. I think you are right to limit the time with the person.
I like your idea to do something special each day. I hope the season brings you much joy and happiness.

Paris and Pueblo said...

Whew - I could so relate. My SO's sister-in-law is so amazingly toxic. She had been since she joined the family. It is only now, that my in-laws are gone that the rest of the extended family has shared their experiences. "Wow - you too?" comments. In each instance the comments were made to individuals with no on else within hearing. Blessedly, and I do mean that, they (including my SO's brother) are no longer part of those family members who remain close. My beloved FIL was always saying "X has always been so good to me" (despite strong evidence to the contrary - including embezzling money from him). Boundaries were established at the end of his life that made most engagement tolerable. Now the family gatherings are so much more pleasant and really do feel more like family. You really do have the right to establish the type of engagement that is healthiest for you, and your family.

We're slowly getting into the holiday spirit. Going with cousins to the local zoo's holiday light display (most of the animals are sleeping but the zoo looks wonderful), playing some new to me cds - mine disappeared last year but I found a lot of lovely new or near new at the local used bookstore for $1.00 each, planning holiday meals, writing out holiday cards - need to get those going overseas in the mail NOW. One funny thing - some of the bulls in the pasture next to the house got out and used a pine tree to rub on. I took the branches and kept them moist and will make some swags and a wreath. After I take the black cow hair off - lol!

Mary

Lisa from Indiana said...

Be careful buying a pre-lit tree. My mom had one and a strand of lights went out. We spent hours trying to unhook the lights and get them off...it was terrible. She ended up getting rid of the tree.

Anonymous said...

I am very fortunate. The only terribly toxic person in our family was my mother in law, and she really resented me marrying her son. I think her ideal would have been if I had leftvand she had her grandson and son to herself. My father in law was the dearest man and often apologized for her actions. I think it wome my husband up when his step sister told him a few things that he didnt want to hear but needed to face. One day she had gone with me to get my paycheck. Employees and bosses were always Mr or Mrs when customers were in the store. My poor boss called me Mrs.Wedlock which I was and she gave him this scalding look and loudly proclaimed I'm Mrs Wedlock, she is not. Kind of left him speechless! Before she died she sent a letter to my moms friend about me and it scared her so much what she said that my moms friend called my mom to have her warn me about her. The happiest day of my life was her funeral and I have no regrets saying that.
My family dynamic was, if you want respect you earn it. We were brought up to live in peace, but if there was a problem we confronted it immediately and settled it. Even the grandkids knew if they disagreed with their grandparents they could politely tell them so. I am the same with my kids and grandkids. My kids are starting to think they are the parents and they have to be told differently sometimes. If I were to say something unkind to my grands they would feel free to tell me why I am wrong. No one goes away mad or hurt, just grumbling sometimes. LOL. To me it is a lot healthier than having one person say anything mean they want. I didn't grow up that way and should not have had to live with it.
Every family is different, but that is how I see things. Gramma D



Tammy said...

One of the kids at work, a sophomore in college, told me the other day he had written a paper about choosing a real or artificial Christmas tree - which was the more environmentally responsible choice. We were interrupted (customers, sheesh, lol) and didn't finish our conversation, but he did say that he was surprised at how expensive it is to manufacture the artificial trees, and that most can last for decades before needing to be replaced. Just a tidbit of information I thought to be interesting, as you look for your next one.

All that said, my poor tree is only half lit, but I intend to remedy that today. That, and clean my house. My job is sucking the energy from me and this house has suffered. I'm feeling deep in my heart that this will be the last holiday season at this job, so I'm just working to get through it...

Karen in WI said...

Dear Terri,
Lovely coffee chat! I am so sorry that your Thanksgiving did not turn out as you thought...ignorance is indeed bliss. Maybe instead of others never being rude or disrespectful to this person (I agree one must not stoop low), maybe having people calmly, but firmly say, “That was not a nice thing to say.”, and walk away. But, as you say, it sounds like it’s time to not even give this person that opportunity any longer. I unfortunately found out this year that my mother had truly not changed, she just switched her target from me to my father. Ignoring her doesn’t seem to work, but calmly and firmly putting her in her place when she does or says something inappropriate seems much more effective. Even if others are present. She has tried to disparage my father this year and I immediately let her know that I would not tolerate that around me. Goodness, I really thought she had changed! Apparently my parents have thrown around the divorce word this year. Sigh, lots of prayer!

Well, I thought the separate bedrooms thing would certainly be respected bu our older son this Christmas, especially with having younger sons watching. Well apparently he was a bit offended and they will now stay at a hotel. Well, we aren’t budging on that one, but I am disappointed that he won’t be staying here. Oh well.

It sounds like working part-time would be a wonderful way to transition into full-time retirement. So glad this is an option.

I LOVE your thoughts of having a joyful season! I am sitting here, looking out at the morning sunshine, drinking coffee, listening to Christmas music, and conversing with a sweet friend. It is lovely and I do feel that we have come out of such a darkness I never knew we would have to go through. Our son with the brain injury stopped having constant pain in the late summer (after 3 years!). It is intermittent now and not nearly as severe as it had been. That is cause for such joy! He even mentioned last phone call that he is thinking of transferring to UW Green Bay, which is near family and doctors. He doesn't know what will happen with this girlfriend and it sounds like he may be reconsidering the relationship (thank goodness).

Well, I must get going with my day. I have a bit of cleaning and must soend time cooking/baking. I have to finish putting up lights on my front porch today as it is mild out (I usually choose the coldest day to do this). I got some fresh garland and a wreath from Costco. We are going up to the Christmas tree farm this weekend to get our tree and then put it up. I will start my chocolate making this weekend too. And I have to hem up a few pair of pants for my youngest. Add a Saturday morning coffee date with my husband, and I am really looking forward to this weekend!

I love the sheep and the plaid ribbon on your tree! Have a lovely weekend Terri!

Anonymous said...

Our Salvation Army used store has tons of boxes of artificial Christmas trees. BUT unless you open each and put them all together how do you know if all of it is there? lol or what shape or how tall it is. I wonder how many they sell. I have seen women in a magazine article use older pieces of trees and shape the branches into wreaths and such.

No one can make us hurt like family can. Some things can never be resolved and we certainly can't do anything to help it without the other sides willingness.

Since you started putting together outfits and writing about such things I have like many others, stepped up my wardrobe too. Again thank you for inspiring us. I always looked nice enough but added accessories and such. Thought of outfits differently and it all made me feel better and more feminine too I wish I could wear dresses again. But I am now ver short and not very slim and when I try dresses I look like ..well I don't know exactly but odd to me. lol. also one leg ha many bad veins that show up. Still in all I am so blessed by God that not being able or feel good about wearing dresses is not that big a thing really. I have really enjoyed though jazzing up my wardrobe using some of your ideas.

I thought I might have to buy some more hangers till I tried on some of the things hanging in my closet. Out some of them went.....and quickly! Now enough hangers and extras too ! Sarah