The Week Ahead: But first the Weekend

 


This is a very compact little kitchen but boy does it pack a wallop for storage and space saving ideas.  It was the use of space that drew me to this one.  The colors are soft and almost monochromatic, very subtle overall and frankly I like something with a little more brightness, but I think the soft subtle colors used here are what makes this kitchen appear wide open.  That bit of terracotta color counter top hardly intrudes into your consciousness at first...and then you begin to see how it's repeated all over the room, from the picture, to the floor border color and in the wall paper border.  As you look at the room you slowly become aware that there's not a lot of space there...But what is there is so well used that it appears to be a much larger room.


The clever use of space at that window drew my attention right away.  This is the second of the Armstrong designs I've seen with a window ledge extended to just enough space for a narrow dining counter.   I thought the third chair would be in the way, but if you open the photo in a new tab, you'll see that the chairs actually line right up with the edge of the window ledge and that leaves just enough room for the drawers on that cabinet in the left corner to open.  The chairs also push up flush against the counter and though they appear to have a silver ornament on top of the back, it is below the counter edge.   All that just blends seamlessly to make the most of that space.   That means that you might easily use that dining area as a prep counter without feeling you need to move things out of the way first.  That's clever!

Those open cabinets on either side of the window are larger than they appear.  Look closely.  There's a second set of shelves facing in towards the breakfast area, as well as the shelves that face out toward the sink and stove.  It appears that the dishes are stored on those inner shelves or at least a breakfast/lunch service appears to be displayed there.  

The shelves that face out into the kitchen appear to be deeper than those that face the window.   This allows for larger items to be easily stored there.  We can't really see what the shelves to the right hold, but on the left you'll note that those that face the stove hold baking supplies in the canisters and the stand mixer is there handy to those items.  Honestly with only slight adjustment those shelves could have  been made to accommodate the mixer when it wasn't in use.  I think I'd have liked that.

Note how the stove has a lid that closes down over burners when they are off, allowing for still more work space.  It appears the stove has storage to one side, as well.  I wonder if the bottom is a broiler or if it's a second bit of storage?  And then we have the fridge.  I've never been keen to have my fridge next to my stove but let's face it... Back then they were so heavy and so well insulated that I doubt the heat of the stove would affect it.   And again, the oven is on the side near the counter not next to the refrigerator.

Swinging round to the other side of the kitchen we see a great use of what appears to be a towel rack.  A bin atop holds fruits and accommodates dish towels.  There's a generous drain board on that single sink cabinet and appears also to have a small cabinet top on the shelving side to serve as a further work surface.   It's a snug kitchen but it looks quite livable, I think.

Work:



Sunday we'll spend time with Taylor for a bit after church.   On Monday I have Caleb and I have to take him to the doctor possibly for shots, but we'll see.  He's got a runny nose and is pulling on his ear so they may delay those while they give him a round of antibiotics.  

This week is Zone 3...Here's hoping I get more done in that zone than I did in Zone 2 last week!   Mind you the room looks fine but I sure didn't do more than casual maintenance work on it.   Zone 3 is beds and baths.  Dusting is my main goal and possibly cleaning windows in the two bedrooms.  I don't have any particular goals for the baths.  It's going to be rainy and wet most of next week and cold when it's not raining so I think I'll wait on washing rugs and shower curtains.

On the boot camp front, this week I plan to focus on foodstuffs.  This is where my old Hints from Heloise, Cheapskate Gazette and cookbooks come into use.

And since I'm on a food week, I'm going to kick myself in the rear and get my inventory of the freezers done.  I know there are some things in there I should be using up and some that I probably just need to release and use the room for more valuable items that pack a bigger punch both budget wise and calorie wise.

Look for a book I've thought of that was 'extra' and give it to someone that I think might enjoy it.

And honestly that's about as far as planning has gone.  It's meant to be wet and rainy and rainy and cold and cold and rainy. for most all of the week.  Not much reason I can see to spend a lot of time planning work that won't get done.  I swiped at the kitchen floor with a damp cloth the other day and it took hours upon hours for it to get dry.  The weather literally puts a damper on the things I most want and need to do in and out of the house.

Kitchen:



Last week went pretty well for a fly by your seat menu week.   I didn't let myself get out of budget mind and I used lots of the expired items and leftovers, so I felt pretty good about it overall.   Our 'splurge meal' last week wasn't one but it tasted like it and that was the Chinese dinner we had Friday night.  

This week I'll plan only because I'm frustrated with not being able to plan much of a work week.  I still have a few expired things to use, and a few more that are expiring in March or April.  

Taco Pizza Used up the last bit of the taco meat I made for lunch last week while Bess and the children were visiting.  We had a big meal up at Sam's today for the birthday party.  No need to eat heavy twice.

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Black Eyed Peas, Potato Salad, Raspberry Cake We picked up cold chicken from the deli last week and put it in the freezer.  I've set it out to thaw overnight in the fridge and will reheat it in the oven tomorrow after we return home.  I've done this before and it works just fine.  It also eliminates that tempting trip into the grocery after church where we tend to forget the budget.

Mac and Cheese, Italian Roasted Vegetables

Broccoli  Soup, Corn Muffins, Fruit Salad

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, Green Beans, Green Salad

Meatball Stuffed Zucchini, Tossed Salad, Garlic Toast

Chicken Breast with Dijon Cream Sauce, Asparagus, Baked Potato

Leisure:  



Honestly, I think February is about the most leisurely month there is...To say I need to plan for leisure seems the height of foolishness.   Mostly I want to read and dream and read and I'll do what I can of both when I have time all through this week.  

4 comments:

Traveling Oltmans said...

Great set of blogs using the Armstrong ads and the lady (name I forget) that was their designer. I enjoy the photos so much, and the way you look at the detail, then describe it, so I go back and forth to the photo noting all the small details. Thank you, I have really enjoyed the old kitchens and the hunt to see the almost hidden features,

Cindi Myers said...

Those Armstrong designs would give some great ideas for tiny homes. They make suck efficient, practical use of space. I always enjoy studying them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
You are inspiring me to do a similar frugal project! We have so many cookbooks that are not utilized as they should be so... I will take a cue from you and start looking through them for ideas and suggestions for new budget eats! I'm not sure what it is but our usual rotation of recipes haven't been as satisfying as they once were and, frankly, I am in the mood for something different. Not sure why (maybe I'm just tired of my own cooking haha) but thank you for prompting the idea to actually pull out some of my long forgotten cook books and hunt for some new recipes...or rediscover some forgotten old ones!
Much love,
Tracey
x0x

terricheney said...

Oltman, I don't know your first name!, I am glad you're enjoying the pictures. I blow the picture up in a new tab so I can see it in greater detail. I love looking at these old pictures.

Tracey, I'm still going through my cookbooks and tagging recipes I'd like to try and finding a few I hadn't put into my notebook that I want to keep there to remind me I might use them again. But it's turning out to be very handy to have tabs only on the ones I'd like to attempt to make rather than looking high and low for the tried and true ones I typically use over and over again.

I often get tired of my own cooking and that's usually when I pull out a new recipe or three and try something we haven't had before.


Cindi you are so right! They are an excellent look at how space might be put to good use in tiny homes!

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On