February Frugal Bootcamp: Frugal Basics

 



We are a consumer society.   If there is something that will enhance our experience with any product we have no problems choosing to discard what is working perfectly well and exchange it for the fancier item.  This is just as true in foods as it is in electronics or appliances or cars.  The manufacturers are innovative and listen to the consumer.  What has aggravated them, what problems did their customers experience.  They then employ someone to brainstorm and invent solutions to those problems.  On the one hand, this is a good thing.  There are features of many products that have made them far more safe and far more user friendly, not to mention affordable.  But also has a downside.  The consumer becomes the monster that demands more.


I am not against improvements  but I do suggest humbly that sometimes, sticking with the basics can be the better experience.

I feel we lead a quality life because of the choices we've made.  My husband retired after working for years upon a modest salary.  I have been a stay at home mom and wife for the past 24 years.   We own our home and are debt free.  We routinely give to chosen charities and missions and add to our savings each month.  We accomplished all of  this on a low income.  One reason why we've managed so well is that we learned early on the beauty of basics and how subtle enhancements can lift them from the ordinary into the extraordinary.

I shared last month five basic vegetables that I buy fresh and keep on hand year round.  We don't just eat those five but they are the foundation upon which we build our produce each month.  We begin with those and then add a few others that are well priced.   In my area availability of fresh foods at reasonable prices is high.  I live in a state with a moderate climate and within easy distance of Florida.   While you may be knee deep in snow, along about Valentine's day we begin to see fresh spring produce flood the markets.  I can buy asparagus and strawberries this time of year for little.  They are most welcome, too!  But it's those five basics which are always available and inexpensive that allows us to make the choice of having other seasonal foods while they are inexpensive.   

Our proteins are largely ground beef (venison this year but usually beef) and chicken.   We like steak and roasts and tenderloins quite well but I've built a large repertoire of recipes that use these two basic proteins.  I also include eggs, tuna and dry beans into our basic proteins.  We might then purchase a roast  or tenderloin to add to our proteins but we rely on those basics which are budget friendly.  

Our pantry is filled with basic goods.   I can enhance any food with a low cost array of spices and seasonings.  I don't need fancy packets of mixes and costly ingredients.   I seek high and low in various stores for the goods that fill our pantry.  In the past I bought groceries from the drugstore, the dollar store and off clearance end caps in department stores as well as at the grocery store.   

And so goes our grocery budget.  But we also prefer basics in our wardrobe.  I usually have jeans, and dark trousers or skirts on hand as a base for colorful tops and blouses and scarves.  I pick up my clothes  from clearance racks and thrift stores.     John prefers jeans and black shirts.  He has a closet full of black polo and t-shirts.  Occasionally he deviates and has something in a dark hunter green or what he refers to as blackred, which is a dark red with a black overcast or undertone.   He buys three and four shirts at a time in his color range when he sees them on sale.   Our wardrobe suits us just fine.  It fits with our lifestyle.

Our cars are quality models bought used.  My Camry is now 15 years old.   I've owned it for 8 years.   John's Civic is 14 years old and we bought it used about 9 years ago.   They don't have blue tooth or back up cameras (though both are features we'd love to have and hope to get in our next vehicles), but they are good models with a lot of life left in them for all that they are old vehicles.

Long ago, I despaired of our running through furnishings as quickly as we did.  I finally realized it wasn't us, it was the poor quality furniture we'd purchased.  Now we buy good quality used pieces, hardwoods that have been kiln dried.  I've learned to make slipcovers and to reupholster in a passable way.  Our home is unique to us and has a clear personality that one bought right from the show room floor will never have.

Our phones are usually about to be discontinued or have just been discontinued when we buy them.  We replace batteries and maintain them and when they die we go buy another newly discontinued model that is low in price.  We get good service from our phones.  I've had my current phone now for about five years, I think and my last one was ten years old.    Our computers are basic models.  

So are most of our appliances and they pay off well.  My old GE dishwasher died after 25 years of use and who can complain over that?  I've owned my gas stove for nearly 20 years already and though I wish at times for an oven light and a window in the door as well as a broiler that doesn't sit on the floor...I can't complain.  My stove works well and has worked all these years without a single repair.   

When it came time to replace my slow cooker this year I chose a simple model with three temperature settings and no timer...Why?  Because I only use the slow cooker when I'm at home!  I don't need a programmable model.  I don't need something that will switch off at a certain time.  I'm here to control those matters.   

When we bought our home we'd looked for two years solid for a house that was reasonably priced and in a suitable location.   We finally decided to purchase a piece of property and get a manufactured home.  We looked at all sorts of models in all sorts of price ranges.  In the end we chose a moderately priced home with moderate finishes.  We spent extra on storm windows and a front porch.  

It's not the nicest home you'll find, I'll admit that, but after 25 years living in it, it's held up well.  For one thing we took good care of it and we're slowly renovating it (oh sooo slowly, lol) but we're choosing good quality basics to replace the older finishes.   We eventually added a deck and several years later we had that covered with a roof to make a large back porch.  We recently replaced the plastic skirting with a concrete board product that has cut our electric costs by nearly 25%.  We're now planning to work on our bathrooms.  We've already replaced the toilets.  Next we hope to finish the small guest bathroom and then we'll do a little more detailed reno on our master bath.   After that we'd like to build a laundry area onto one end of our back porch and eventually to renovate our kitchen.  I've already planned what I want in each room.  Our renovations will all be modest and use lower cost basics.  We have a pretty clear idea of what materials will cost in all but the kitchen cabinets.  

I'm not by any means saying that in order to live a frugal life one must have the basics and only the basics.  But it is possible to build a solid base of basics upon which one may layer better quality items and have a lifestyle that appears to be more luxe than it cost to have it.

  




10 comments:

Liz from New York said...

It must be the month for dishwasher problems. Mine is not even 2 years old and it’s leaking... I hope we can find the issue. I agree that being too frugal is a waste sometimes. I try to do ‘middle of the road’ so to speak, not the cheapest, but not the highest end. My gas oven is 16 years old, I try to keep it nice, because I hate for things to look shabby. Our last set of couches was 13 years old, and looked it. I waited till I had the cash to buy new. And renovations as the budget allows. It’s very easy to get caught up in wanting new and better. I try to stay away from too much eye candy because it’s breeds dissatisfaction, and I don’t want my husband to feel bad, because he has been a good husband, and isn’t stingy, or cheap. We do the best with what we have, and no debt, own our home, and vehicles. I sleep really good at night, and being frugal, and teaching frugality to our kids has paid off. Best, Liz

Lana said...

Also debt free and we don't have to have the best either. Our Honda Odyssey is ten years old but has less than 100K miles on it and looks like new. It was garage kept by the previous owners. We put in new Formica countertops 5 years ago and love them and the low cost. We did seven rooms of flooring 5 years ago and went basic products since they are in rooms that we rarely use. We recently took down all the out of date brass towel bars and such in our bathrooms and spray painted them oiled bronze. They look like new! We do spend more on appliances here because we got so sick of buying new ones every 5-6 years. Spending more has saved us a lot of money. It bothers me that every year there is a new everything that is the current style and so there is a rush to have new everything. We have had the same coolers for years and don't have any need for new. Also things like lawn chairs. I had to stop going with my husband to take the trash. It just made me sick to see all the perfectly good things being thrown in the dumpsters with no regard for the cost or the overflowing landfills in this country.

Cindi Myers said...

We live like this as well. It enabled my husband to leave a stressful job at age 58. Years ago we went to an appliance store to purchase a new refrigerator. The salesman was showing us several high end models with a lot of features. I spotted one across the room and asked about it. He said, "Well, that's a very basic model." My husband immediately said. "Well, we're very basic people." (We purchased the basic model.)
I do think new appliances don't last as long as they used to. I doubt you'll get 25 years from a new dishwasher. Our last one lasted 10 years before some plastic parts in the motor simply wore away. Replacing the motor cost almost as much as the dishwasher. We did end up paying more for what I hope is a better made model, a Bosch. Time will tell.

Anne said...

Debt free here also in our slowly renovated two bedroom retirement home. It's my favorite house of the four we have owned in our married life.

Two things resonated with me from this post. Furniture, yes we have bought lesser quality couches that we didn't know the foam padding would squish down quickly. We had a pretty aqua colored one from Ashley that looked bad after a year because the back was compressed down. That's when we went permanently with Lazy Boy. We have had two recliners and a wonderful couch from them and are thrilled with their quality.

Also, I have heard many women speak of their appliances as being 15-25 years old and still going strong. I fear newer built appliances will not last that long. Many complain of problems after 1-2 years. I worry about when I will have to replace mine.

Lana said...

The Jenn Air stove that we just replaced was 41 years old. It was still working but was developing some issues.

Cindi, We have a Bosch and at ten years it is still going strong. Our appliance guy said that you can expect to get 25 years out if a Bosch and that it only has a $20 switch that goes bad on them.

Anne, Glad to hear that about Lazy Boy. We do have two of their recliners at our vacation house and they are just as good as new at 15 years old but I had wondered about their couches. We will soon have to replace our big leather sofas but they are over 20 years old and stood up to raising five kids.

Shirley in Washington said...

Hi Terri - A very timely blog post! We are in the process of trying to find replacements for several kitchen appliances. Our fridge is 21 years old and needs replacing but I just want a basic fridge. I don't need one with a camera inside so I check on my phone to see if I need milk while I am the grocery store! Also, planned obsolescence with appliances is real! I have had several appliance repair people explain this to me when they couldn't find parts for my older appliances. Debt free and retired here in beautiful, snowy Washington. Blessings, Shirley

Liz from Mew York said...

II agree about planned obsolescence, but 2 years and an item fails?? I had a brand new Maytag fridge that crapped out in 2 years. I raised Cain with whirlpool who owns Maytag now and they sent me a new refrigerator, which also didn’t last but 3 years. I was so disgusted, and bought a Samsung which was a higher end model marked down because new model was coming out. I’m probably going to have to get a new dishwasher, if it costs 200 to fix I may as well get a new one. I do have a whirlpool fridge that was moved to my basement after we remodeled the house 16 years ago, that was about 7 years old then. Still running, and used everyday. And my G.E. Profile stove runs like a champ, after 16 years of heavy use. My tv is 13 years old, one of the first flatsceeens out there. It’s a dinosaur but great picture. I had to replace my 25 year old washer/ dryer about 3 years ago. I went with speed queen, while pricy, didn’t have all the bells and whistles, I wanted basic, and they last forever as they are commercial grade.

Linda said...

I think you own a trailer so I can see how you would have it paid for
Debt free is a blessing

terricheney said...

I believe I mentioned that we did buy a manufactured home, Linda. However, that doesn't account for the 'paying off' early. That took time and sacrifice. It was our largest debt, as homes generally are. But indeed it is a blessing.

Liz thanks for sharing that Whirlpool now owns Maytag. I think Hotpoint or Whirlpool were also the manufacturing company behind Kenmore washer and dryers.

Shirley, No camera in my fridge and no tv on the front of it either! Though I do admire those big massive models with deep freezers on the bottom and double doors on the front....But pricey!!

Anna, Lana and Cindi, I am seeing the wisdom behind some homeowners choosing to buy vintage appliances. A little less convenient than new models (lighting the oven pilot with a match instead of auto ignition for instance or having to manually defrost a fridge) but they are still repairable. Acquiring them is another story, though.

Anonymous said...

Dear Terri, I hope you and John enjoyed the happiest of Birthdays!
(My Dad's birthday was the 11th.) I'm off to read this lovely and most welcome post but wanted to get the good wishes in before I got interrupted/sidetracked! Blessings to you and yours my kind friend.
Much love,
Tracey
x0x

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On