My June Wardrobe and Quarterly Stitch Fix

 


When it came to pulling summer clothes I was looking at a whole lot of nothing really.  I said I had ten tops with two that Bess had gifted me that were too large for her and of the ten, five of those were kimono cover-ups.  I wanted something new pretty badly but I made myself a promise.  I'd wait until my summer quarter Stitch Fix box arrived and I'd see if I liked any of that.


Well it arrived a few days earlier than planned and I am keeping it all.   Again, the stylist picked tops for me.  I've got loads of bottoms so I'm not in the least sorry about it being tops.   I  got five new pieces and then I went right to my closet and culled out six tops.  I moved one to the house drawer for wear around the house.  I put three in a donation box (a cowl necked sweater I haven't worn in two years and two of the kimonos), a shirt Bess had given me that is literally slit at the neckline (raw edges) and which I need to determine how I shall make it wearable or move it to house clothes drawer) and a tank top that is similar in color to one of the Stitch Fix box tops.

Again, I was pleased to see that the stylist had really paid attention to my Pin board on Stitch Fix and to my personal note about what I'd like to see in the box.  I am so happy I was paired with the very same stylist this time.  She's done a great job at choosing items I'd like!  

Just like last time there was one top I just wasn't sure of but after trying it on, I could see that the fit was spot on, the style more flattering than I'd supposed it might be and that it could be a transitional piece since it's a little heavier than the other three tops.    This blouse has a softly blurred print in blues and pinks that reads purple in places.  It's a sort of ivory white.  

I tried the shirt on and was pleased with how it looked on me.   That changed my mind.  I was pretty sure when I first picked it up that the style was all wrong for me but the soft pleating, the placket that rests perfectly at the bust line and the way the waist kind of nips in all just made the piece fit a lot better than I'd imagined it would.  I think too because the yoke of the blouse is so heavy the rest of the material hangs better.

This kimono is lightweight and the perfect cover for summer temperatures when indoor temps can be chilly after being outdoors.  I love the soft floral look.  The colors are olive, creamy white, deep mango yellow and coral.   It will easily go over three of the four tops I was sent so it shall be very versatile.

The cards with  outfit suggestions  are  always helpful.   I'd not even considered the kimono to go with my olive green jeans at all but it will!   I noted that it would also go well with my khaki pants so I'll get a good bit of wear from that kimono.


This coral top and the two below it have one thing in common.  The front of the shirt is a light weight silky type material but the back piece is stretchy knit that perfectly matches the front piece in color.   This is a bonus for a larger woman because I tend to spread a bit across the hips when I go to sit down.  That often means that blouses made of the same material front and back that has no give strains uncomfortably or even splits unless I size up.  No need with this style blouse.  I sit, it stretches across the back and the front doesn't strain.  I stand and the front hangs nicely because the back's elasticity allows it to ease right back into perfect shape.



You can't tell by the photo but this piece has a textured fabric on the front.  It's overlaid over a stretchy piece of fabric that is just like the back fabric so there's no sheerness to worry over.  John took one look at this top and said "That's a date night shirt or for when you're dressing up!"    This shirt has darts that hit perfectly at the bust and gives it added shape.  


This Mango colored top is not on Stitch Fix so it must have sold out.  Like the other pieces, it has the stretchy fabric at the back and the silkier piece for the front.  The little flutter sleeves are so pretty to me.

A few weeks ago I was scrolling on Instagram and came across a dress from Catherine's that I thought could work both dressed up a bit and toned down for casual comfort and would go well with the olive cardigan I got from my first Stitch Fix box.  It was reduced to a pretty low price.  I impulsively went right ahead and ordered it.

I really dislike the shoes the model is wearing...I thought for summer, I'd pair this dress with my white tennis shoes or my calf colored sandals.   

John doesn't like horizontal stripes (or any type of stripe really) but he did grudgingly admit that the dress fit me well, despite his dislike of it.   As for myself, I was pleased enough with it.  I don't mind stripes at all.  That's his dislike, not mine.  I think the dress will be a bonus for my wardrobe.   I do believe it is a little big on me but not so much so that I appear to be drowning in it.  I'm thinking a belt would be a good accessory for this dress,  even though I will tell you I've never worn belts as I always felt I was too big for a belt,  but I'm willing to attempt a belt with this dress   I might hem it just slightly.  We shall see.  

I ordered this dress because it matches the Olive green cardigan I got in my last Stitch Fix box beautifully, but could also be worn with my jeans jacket for a bit more of a casual vibe.   The sleeves are the right length and the weight of the dress comfortable for even summer heat, despite my husband's assurance that I should never wear the dress without a jacket or sweater over it to 'tone down the stripes'.  Rolling eyes just a wee bit here...

I will say that while I'm pleased enough with the dress, I won't be ordering from the company again.  Catherine's has apparently aligned themselves with Roaman's (always an awkward fit for me) and Woman Within.  I find that often the items in both are advertised on the thinnest models and with all the plus sized models out there surely they could show us what a real woman of size looked like in their styles.  That point aside,  my  reason for not ordering from them again is that it took a long time to fulfill the order.  I didn't expect it to arrive in two days but I did think having to wait four or five weeks was a bit much.   The order was accepted right away but it took them three weeks to send a note saying they were delaying shipping due to C-virus restrictions. It took another two weeks before they sent me a 'shipped' status notice.  Had this been the same time last year, I might well have bought that excuse for delayed shipping but not at this point in time.  

I think with the dress, these tops, the navy top from last shipment and the pants I already have that my summer wardrobe really only needs a few accessories to be complete.  I'd like new  sandals, some new necklaces or bracelets, a belt, possibly a hat and perhaps a summer purse in a fun color. But even without those things, I'll get a lot of wear from these pieces I think and I plan to utilize them all through these summer months.   

Here's how I've pieced things together for June.  Some of these I gave myself a choice of necklaces.  I really like the dress.  I did go ahead and order a belt for it, so we'll see how that works when it arrives.


The textured white top paired with pearls which are supposed to be trendy this year.  I also added a glass bead necklace that I like in soft aqua and blue and green, which I also used on the olive stripe dress above.


This coral sleeveless top with the kimono from Stitch fix and a wood and navy bead necklace.  


This is an oversized scarf and I thought it might be nice folded into a shawl for a cool church or restaurant to keep my arms warm without being heavy.  


I tried both a multi-color predominately red/blue/purple necklace with this top and a string of purple beads.  Not sure I really like either one.  The length of the necklace detracts from the placket design in my opinion but I'll see how I like it when I go to wear it.


This top is from Bess.  It's so bright and colorful I thought just a simple bangle would be a good accessory.



And this Kimono is a Bobbie Brooks piece that Katie picked up at Dollar General.  She'd seen one on the rack and thought it reasonably priced and when she got to the register it was half off.  She told the clerk, "Hold on a minute...I want to get another one for my mom."   I think it's a pretty Ikat print, don't you?  Since all my kimonos are florals it's a nice change of print.  The necklace I've paired it with here is about 20 years  old, but I love the milky white glass beads mixed with the gold and the turquoise.  It's a good pairing for this kimono I think.





11 comments:

Mable said...

I wish I could get over feeling self conscious about my flapping upper arms and just wear sleeveless shirts!

Lana said...

I agree 100% about One Stop Plus. I actually ordered some tops on Black Friday that arrived in February! If you have an issue and need to contact them it is impossible to talk to anyone or get an answer to an email. Last order I got an item that was not my size or anything I would choose and they left out the one item I most wanted. I would recommend washing the dress several times before you decide to shorten it because pretty much everything that I order from them shrinks and gets shorter.

Ellen said...

Beautiful tops! Thank you for showing them to us.

Angela said...

Everything is so pretty! I love Stitch Fix. My daughter gifted me gift card last year for my birthday. Things can be a little pricey even though I chose the cheap as you can get option, but I have worn the heck out the things I got. This spring I ordered some tops, earrings, and necklaces. What didn't work I just sealed back in the envelope and stuck them in the mailbox. It did take about 2 weeks to get my money back but after I contacted them about it, I heard from them almost immediately. Great customer service!
Thank you for sharing! I went and made outfits after reading!

terricheney said...

Mable, I've decided that I can't see my flappy arms anyway and too bad for whoever is behind me looking at them, lol! The kimono goes well with the cream and mango tops as well so there is that also. With the kimono Katie bought I plan to wear a tank top and I'll never take off the kimono unless I'm alone in the car and it's blazing hot.

Lana, I'll keep that in mind before I shorten the dress. I used to buy from Catherine's which was hugely overpriced years ago back when it was still called Stout Shop (horrible name!), but it was lovely to go into a store and buy sizes that fit me. Nowadays I find I can do that most stores anyway. But yes now that Catherine's is part of that group I'll likely not buy from them again.

Unknown, thank you.

Angela, I've accepted that probably after this year if I've bought four quarters of boxes, I'm not going to need clothes again for awhile, lol. I too love the quality and have been very pleased with the wear as well as how they wash. Of course living as we do in the south so many things can transition from one season to the other quite easily.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

You received some very pretty blouses. You do such a good job of matching them with your jewelry.

Before Covid came I found a company called Torrid. Many of the clothes were young looking for me, but I found some pretty tops that were not see through and were a nice knit that didn't wrinkle. I went to shop online there this spring and there was nothing but thin fabric blouses or very low cut blouses. It all looked picked over. I think they may have had problems getting new products to sell.

I recently ordered the same Ponte pants that I usually do from Woman Within and they had a terrible burned chemical stink on them. I thought I could air it out, (no that didn't work), wash it out (didn't work), soak it overnight in laundry detergent water and then rinse it and wash it again. Can you believe I can still smell a tinge of that odor on them. I'll air it outside in the sun and wind if I can remember to when the sun is out. Two other blouses that I ordered from there have some of the stink on them but I think it is just from being packed with the pants. There are 4 items that I need to send back, for incorrect fit or just weirdness that didn't show in the catalogue picture. I have always had problems with Roamans sometimes fitting me perfectly and sometimes being huge and long on me. It's always a gamble.

I hate to hear that Catherines is part of the Roaman's, woman Within, bunch. That will really lessen our clothing choices. If I still worked outside the home, it would be a problem finding enough nice clothing to wear in my price range. I wish they would quit sending millions (I exaggerate) but it is a lot, of catalogs to me every week with only minor additions or changes in prices and products.

Muriel Pepper said...

I haven't bought a new top in 5 or 6 years. No problem.

Anne said...

Terri, my favorite blouse is the ivory print one. I could have told you that it would be flattering on you the minute I saw it. That combination of cut and pleats is so attractive that I gravitate towards it and have several. So glad you kept it.

Funny, how John feels about stripes, I adore them, and polka dots, too. Perhaps my 1950s childhood is permanently etched in my mind because for me any color stripes/white absolutely screams summertime. When I'm wearing them I feel like a kid on a summer day.

I can't figure out what is going on service wise with companies these last couple of months. ALL of them are having huge delivery problems, even my favorite old standbys like Appleseed's and Drapers & Damons. I'm not sure what is going on as they all cry "covid" and two of them claim they had a major warehouse move and that is messing everything up. If that is true than they planned very badly. One company I ordered jewelry from never acknowledged my purchase or answered any emails, so I entered a dispute on my credit card. Another company claims my garden ornaments have been in the US for weeks, but they certainly haven't made it as far as my house. I opened another credit card dispute.

My sister thinks that everything comes from China, even when we don't know it, but I still demand to be kept apprised of my merchandise.

terricheney said...

Susie, Katie orders a lot of her underthings from Torrid. She too used to order clothes from them but now is using a company called Shein. I had a perfectly beautiful navy blue housecoat that smelled so full of chemical I couldn't bear to wear it. I truly believe it was the dye they used on the fabric but I ended up donating the thing because I couldn't wear it no matter how much it was washed/aired.
I'm disappointed with Catherines being part of that group as well. I always had trouble with delayed deliveries from Roaman's even way back in the day when they were my only option besides Lane Bryant for mail order (and sometimes for shopping period. Do go look at Catofashions.com and see if you aren't better pleased with their selections. THey have the Ponte pants in winter season. In summer it's all capris online. But I have always had good service from them and their clearance prices are very good.

Muriel, I've changed sizes so much over the past five years that I couldn't possibly have continued to wear my former clothing. Three years ago due to financial restraints I had only what I could pick up at thrift stores to wear and then I 'un-grew' those, too. I'm glad to be in a position where I can once again buy a few new things along.

Anne, I think most things we have are foreign, often from Asia either China or Vietnam or Taiwan or Thailand these days. But I agree customer service should still be priority. And maybe it will be for some companies, but too many others are sourcing it out. Many companies no longer have phone numbers to call because they are 'cutting costs' aka "We don't want to actually hear irate customers who are rightfully upset so we'll route everything to emails where we can ignore them."

Tammy said...

You know these are some of my favorite posts. I always crush on your jewelry.
Your fix was lovely. I'm glad that service is working well for you. I kept one item from my last fix. Honestly, I have no idea what the stylist was thinking - she obviously had not read my preferences.
I have one on the way this week, though, and this time, I was able to choose what is in it. They sent me an email, and I got to pick from a dozen or so choices. Maybe that's what happens when you send so much back all the time? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing my selections in person.

terricheney said...

Tammy, my stylist's name is Glo...I don't know if you can request her or not but you might try. I can honestly say I've been pleased. And because I trust what she sends I try it all on anyway, like it or not. I've kept two pieces I was convinced I'd hate but loved once they were on me.