In the Week Ahead: Brand Spanking New Year


This house is called "The Hepburn".  I chose it for the somewhat Tudor cottage appeal of the exterior.  I'm rather fond of that house style from the 1920's and '30's.  I clove the diamond pane windows which remind me of the diamond pane windows that Cornelia puts in either side of her fireplace addition to the family home in Grace Livingston Hill's book Re-Creations.   I've always said the homemaking books (literally making a home) are my most favorite among that author's works.  

You can see the size of the house is fairly modest with just living room, dining room, breakfast nook and kitchen downstairs and two beds and a bath upstairs.  It's worth opening the image and magnifying to read how 'modern' the house is with a mail slot at the front door, a proper working fireplace (it says equipment but never having had a fireplace I've no clue what they mean), a tub-shower combination in the bathroom upstairs and the kitchen has an electric fridge, gas stove and a cabinet (oh my!  "What storage!", she says as she contemplates the vast amount of space in her own kitchen and the constant wailing about lack of space...)  


In my home this week, I thought I'd share some old house plans this month.  I love older homes, especially turn of the century.  I think of all the life they've seen and how styles changed over time and how sturdily built they are.  I lived in a few different older homes in my lifetime, and each had its merits and problems.

There was the first older home of memory that was on the plot of land above Granny's house.  It had four square rooms with a wide central hall that divided two rooms each side of it, a front porch across the front, a breezeway porch and two rooms at the back which was meant as a detached kitchen and servant quarters.  Not fancy, just plain and old fashioned but well loved.

Then the house we lived in next was an older home built at the turn of the century so newer and more modern than the first.  It had wainscotting in the dining, living and bedrooms, hall and bath.  Mama and Daddy's room was a room portion off the back porch with an entrance out to the back porch that they blocked with a heavy old dresser.  This house had a lovely old-fashioned pantry as well as the pass-through China closet that divided the kitchen and dining room.  

My next old homes I shared with my first husband.  One was just a four room with central hall, hip roofed house built about 1920.  The kitchen faced west and was hot as blazes all times of the day in summer.  I never felt quite comfortable in that house.   Something was off and I can't explain why.  I said the kitchen faced west but it appeared from the situation of the house that it faced east, and I was forever discombobulated in direction when in that house.  Perhaps it had something to do with the abundant natural gas supply underground.  Or some strange magnetic field there.  I don't know.  I just know I liked the house, and it was quite nice, but I was always disoriented somehow by it.

And last was the house I loved best, the old railroad foreman's four room house with two newer additions that were still older than most homes in the neighborhood.  It had chestnut beams and was a sound and sturdy house that likely will stand another two or three hundred years if it's left alone.

I feel most at home in an older house, but it has not been possible to indulge that love of mine in any of my married years.  My first husband and I rented the one house that disoriented me, and we never had money to improve upon the one I best loved.   John doesn't share my love of older homes.  He sees $$ signs when he looks at them and for what we could afford he's quite right to see them!   I've grown to love and appreciate this home deeply and we chose it with a long-term view, but I shall always be grateful for the years I lived in the older homes.  I felt connected to them in a way I never quite have embraced these new builds, be they Ranch style or manufactured. 

But it's not just my love of old homes leading me to share these house plans.  It seems that over the past couple of years the trend has slowly been turning from open floor plans to separate rooms once more.  I'm not at all surprised.  Open plans have their merits and their demerits in equal values.  It's mighty hard to shut out the view of the mess in the kitchen if all living areas are just one big area.   And in weather or energy crisis, it's hard to keep that one big room heated or cool enough to be comfortable.  In the end, though, it comes right back around to 'Everything old is new again.'   It's a change from what so many young folks grew up with and so it's in vogue once more.  



Work this week will likely center around some gentle decluttering and organizing.  Whatever Caleb will allow me to spare time for, anyway.  On New Year's Eve I spent an hour organizing and filing papers and tossed out some older things.  I put a bag of things to donate into the car that I've been slowly adding to all summer and fall.  I managed to organize Christmas things in my shed on Thursday.  That was just the beginning.  I plan to take it one room at a time and work in each until I'm satisfied that things are neat and tidy and that I have in each only those things I mean to actually use or with which I simply cannot part.  Still, it must have a place or out to the shed it will go to sit with other things I love too well to pass on and rotate in and out of the house on a periodic basis.

Other than what I've just mentioned, I have no hard and fast plans.  I feel very much that at present, with Caleb at his current age, I pretty much make meals, clean up behind them, clean up whatever mess he's made, herd him away from forbidden areas to areas where he might play safely and freely and repeat ad nauseum.   He's getting better and better at playing for long spells alone and happily but he's still just two and needs much watching.



In my kitchen this week, I've made a short list of meals I know we shall have here in January that I'll likely prepare.  I did this other day by reading through all my old January menus on the blog and noting what sounded particularly good to me of those.  I tend to repeat certain menus each month of the year, so it wasn't hard to notice favorite meals.   I expect the cooks I enjoy watching will have some recipe or other that appeal and we shall get through the month with old favorites and new recipes to try.

My big goal this month, starting this week, is to begin using what I have on hand in pantry and freezer, in cupboard and fridge.  Right now, there are oranges that must be cut up and eaten or we shall lose them.  Potatoes, too.  I've no real clue what is in the fridge at present, but I can tell you it's looking fairly bare, the way it typically does about this time of the month and especially after the glut of holiday items shoved in every nook and cranny.  I'll look for items in the pantry that are about to expire, or which have appeared on the freezer inventory list for a bit too long now.  

I don't have any plans to bake anything except bread this week.  John's off sugar for the month of January.   I've stashed away a few treats in the freezer that can be removed and enjoyed by the cookie rather than taunt him with sweet things under his nose in the cabinets.  I'll be bringing out fruit, canned and fresh, for him to eat to satisfy his desire without ruining his resolution.

Submarine Sandwiches and Wings, Chips and Pickles

Pizza, Salad

Swedish Meatballs, Noodles, Green Peas, Cranberry and Pear Salads

Turkey Strata, Green Beans, Fruit Salad

Black Beans and Yellow Rice, Salsa and chips, Orange and Onion Salad 

Mississippi Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Black Eyed Peas, Coleslaw with apples and walnuts

Beef Stew, Cornbread, Apples



Personal and Leisure:  

Two advantages to having Caleb here is that I am on computer a lot less and I am reading more because he tends to let me be if I've got a book in hand.  I'm currently reading Little Women and also am continuing to read Jane Austen's Town and Country Style.   Yes, I've been at that particular book now for months.   I take it in spells to read and then lay it aside for a bit.  

Pick up the Genealogy notebooks once more and dig a little deeper into the past.

Go back to my previously started Bible study and finish it up.

Sit down with my resolutions every day and ask myself how I can incorporate them into that day.


4 comments:

Lana said...

The big headache with old houses is the upstairs bathroom. I remember hating that when visiting my grandparents but their only one was in the basement. I adore old houses and we almost bought one way back but now we are so glad we didn't do it. Hubby grew up on an old house with many quirks on a small lake called Dream Lake. It was a charming house but no A/C in Florida and so miserable in the summer. One of our DIL family's owns a wonderful old house in the NC mountains that has been in the family for generations. Legend is that great grandfather paid $7K for it 100 years ago. We covet invitations to visit there.

My menus are made for January. I put on my thinking cap and planned many foods that need to get used. We are going to be sick of potatoes but they have to be eaten. We did an Aldi shop on Friday because our van will be in the body shop next week and we do not know the rental car situation yet. A huge tree limb fell on it early Christmas week and dented on the top. That tree has been a real headache so we had it down to the tune of $2200. Our tree guy said all the limbs were either rotten or hollow. Our four year grandson enjoyed watching it come down from the upstairs window.

I have to take a new look at the budget in light of the SS raise but I think I need a few more grocery dollars. Other parts of the budget are fine. I really hate to raise it but I can take it back if I see it is too much. Mainly I want to put as much of the raise in savings as possible. I see needing it later on and feel a real need to live on less and save.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

The home you lived in that had the chestnut beams sounded so cozy. Mature chestnut trees have been extinct in the USA for many years. I once watched a home remodeling show years ago, it may have been the two brothers who remodeled the home, I'm not sure. The woodwork was original and it was quite old. It was Chestnut wood throughout the home. At one end of the kitchen was a large built in cabinet/hutch that was all made of Chestnut. It was beautiful to me. I couldn't believe my eyes when those idiot remodelers went to work and tore out all of that beautiful, natural varnished Chestnut cabinetry and built in cabinet/hutch that was antique and impossible to ever replace. They took it outside and had it laying by the sidewalk like trash. They replaced all of that beautiful solid Chestnut wood with what looked to me like run of the mill average big box hardware store cabinetry. In my opinion, it seemed to me like they may have had a buyer somewhere for all of that beautiful high grade, now extinct Chestnut wood cabinetry and trim. I was having such a fit talking bad to those guys on the TV, that my husband asked me what was going on. He thought I was kind of goofy the way I was carrying on. After that I never watched another home remodeling show. I can't stand the sight of people destroying beautiful woodwork. Maybe because my Dad was a carpenter and woodworker/furniture/boat builder.

I thought the home you showed us today was so pretty. I, too love the diamond shaped panes in the windows. Many of the houses in my neighborhood have a slightly similar style as the one in your picture except the two gables are larger and the roof is not so steep and they are frame houses. When my husband and I were looking for a home to buy there was one of the two story ones up for sale and there was our smaller, one story New England-ish style. I wanted the two story so bad, but we couldn't afford it. Now I am so glad we bought the one we did. With my knee problems I've had, and our kids grown and moved out, the second floor would have been useless to us. Our house is a good size for my husband, me, and our little dog.

Happy 2022 to you!

Deanna said...

Susie - I am totally with you when it comes to those home remodeling shows. I just hate it when they tear out beautiful, high quality items only to replace them with cheap, new stuff.

We had the privilege of owning a 1930s-era cottage that still had vintage metal kitchen cabinets (the expensive version) and huge double sink with drainboards in great condition. I put in cute wallpaper, painted the ceiling a light jade-ite green and had the most adorable "Betty Crocker kitchen". The new owners ripped it all out and put in cheap Home Depot cabinets and countertops. Fortunately I took the vintage stove with me and we remodeled our current kitchen to feature it.

I also hate it when they tear down a bunch of interior walls as I'm not a fan of open concept living areas. I don't care what people do with new construction or houses with no historical significance but it's such a shame to ruin classic architectural styles by trying to "modernize" them.

Stepping off my soapbox...

terricheney said...

Lana, I can well imagine. I thought the same when I saw the only bathroom was upstairs in this house.

Deanna, I love hearing about your little cottage home. I don't really care for a 'modern' sort of kitchen in an older home and always horrified to see the 'thoughtfully renovated' ones in old houses that are for sale on Cheap Old Houses (Instagram).

Susie, The owners enclosed a large back porch and created two more rooms and the owners prior to them added on two rooms off one end of the house but it was a deep step down. The house might have been rather lovely, even though it was small, but that was never going to happen with my ex-husband. I had lots of dreams. I loved the house as rough as it was.