This Week In My Home: Home Economics



A family dinner at home, compared with either giving or going to a dinner-party is, of course, of much more frequent occurrence, and many will say, of much greater importance.  Both, however, have to be considered with a view to their nicety and enjoyment and the latter more particularly with reference to economy.  ~Isabella Beeton's Book of Household Management



This week in my home, I am looking at the economics of homelife.  I'll not say I've been lavish in living, but there are things which I might do to be a better steward of what is in my home and that's the truth.  There are seasons for serious economy and seasons for purposeful economy and seasons when we simply must pick and choose why and where we are economical because we can only juggle just so many things at once.   I'm in the season of 'purposeful economy'.    

John made it plain, when I suggested I would like to lower my grocery budget, that he does not want me to risk my pantry supplies because we are eating them and not replenishing.  I've compromised and decreased it by only half as much as I suggested I might.  However, I want to make a real hard effort to use only what I'd originally suggested I might.  If there's an obvious lack of things, then I can supplement with the extra.  If, however, I manage well enough, then all of that money will go directly towards those two new chairs we desperately need.

In the meantime, the new kitchen island arrived this morning in all its many pieces.  The box is 100 pounds and we had quite a time getting it indoors.  I don't know just when it will be all put together but I'm not rushing John on this project.  I'm sure he'll tackle it as soon as he's able.  I will be awfully glad to have all those pots and pans off my kitchen counter though!





Work:

I'm going to be concentrating on zone 1 this week which I've determined shall be the kitchen.  Last week I puttered about on the porches and in the bathroom and sewing and it was all very pleasant puttering but now I want to putter with a purpose.  

I have a goal to empty out the contents of three cupboards and more or less figure out how all can go into two.  Does it seem foolish to remove things from a cupboard and leave it empty?  It's meant, once I can begin work on my kitchen that we'll remove that cupboard entirely.  If it's empty, then it has no purpose and that means it can go.  If I can't manage, then we'll need to reconfigure our plans and I'd rather know now than later when we've removed it.  I've ample cupboard space, however frustrating dimensions are, to organize afresh and I mean to do just that.

Things I've mentioned more than once: pot up the rooted plants on the kitchen window shelf.  Weed the corner flower bed and when that is complete work my way up the front of the back porch.  Garden area prep/measurements.  Mulch for town house and for here.  Drop off donations.  Visit Mama. 

Start list of things I see I must do outdoors this year, like painting and cleaning porches, painting porch furniture, putting out some sort of border along two flower beds, etc.  It's spring here with blooming hawthorne, peaches, oaks and the dust of pollen clouds the air like smoke already but it's the season to start this outdoor work as well.  

And start a list of things to do indoors, work on the schedule for day/week/zone.  Winter's restful time is over and it's time to start getting busy!

I'll have the children tomorrow for the afternoon at their request.  I won't plan any work for that day as I know too well, they will suddenly need my attention if I try to start anything, lol.  Some things never change.

Kitchen:

I mentioned lists above...Well I want to start a few lists where the kitchen is concerned as well.  Of things I can do to begin to get my feet under my kitchen economies, rearranging, cleaning, etc.  My brain keeps spinning with ideas and lists, but I forget what was on one mental list as my thoughts scurry over to start a new list on another topic.  I do best with paper where I can scratch out ideas and then plan on another sheet the steps required in each project.

Make Bagels, English Muffins, freezer biscuits, yogurt.  

The weather has definitely warmed here.  Time to think seriously about warmer weather menu options.  I know that we'll have cool spells here and there but it's time to look at my pantry to see what I require for warmer weather meal plans and insure I'm stocking those things.

Over the last week or two it's become obvious that some of the new recipes I've tried have not been put into my recipe files.  Taco pasta for instance couldn't be found anywhere.  I had a hard time finding a similar recipe to the Russian Cabbage rolls I made often enough in years past but where did that one end up?  I very much want to have a comprehensive recipe file with recipes we use repeatedly so I can find them easily. 


 

Meals:  

This is my second or third time through planning meals for this week.  I had no less than four pasta dishes on the first go and two rice...Seriously, what was I thinking?! 

Then I did a second round but was still stymied.  There's one ingredient I haven't on hand and that one was tossing me about. 

I was thinking of the lack of potatoes, but I do have potatoes, just not fresh ones. I have instant mashed, canned whole and a packet of dehydrated au gratin potatoes and frozen French fries.  Now we shall try again.  Perhaps third time is the charm?

Pizza, boys request

Tuna Pasta Salad, Saltines, Fruit

Steak, Au Gratin Potatoes, Green Beans

Turkey Pot Pie, Cranberry Sauce/ Pear Salad

Veggie Lasagna, Salad, Rolls, Tiramisu

Kielbasa Rice Skillet, Orange Gelatin with Peaches

????up for inspiration



Personal/Leisure:

I promised myself a bit of genealogy work this week.  It's been ages upon since I last touched that work and I'd like to devote a little of my time each week to getting caught up on entering previously made notes, working out the family story, etc.

Reading.  I'm currently deep into Mary Stewart's The Hollow Hills, the second in the five-part Merlin/King Arthur series.  I have any number of books on the bookshelf including the last Harry Potter book from that series.  

I have skipped manicures for the past two weeks, but I am attending to my hands and feet.  This is one habit I most definitely want to keep up.  I wear makeup most days but occasionally skip one.  I think I finally discovered the culprit for the spot of psoriasis on my eyelid, the lash lengthening formula used prior to mascara.  The healing has also been aided by routine moisturizing which prompts me to wash my face twice a day as I ought to have been doing all along.   Now to try and remember to spread lotion on my damp skin daily so that my arms and legs don't look such a sight. 

I haven't done a thing towards setting up a wardrobe for March.  I should really attend to that today as I expect that we shall be returning to more frequent outings now that John's improved.






7 comments:

Lana said...

I have turned my thoughts for the pantry to what we eat most and stocking to be able to afford those things as prices go higher. We added another 50 pounds of bread flour and 6 pounds of sea salt and 7 pounds of brown sugar for bread baking. We have plenty of yeast on hand right now. Also since the Arabica coffee crop was lost coffee is going up at a pretty good rate so we added 12 pounds of coffee beans to the 12 we had on hand this week. They are being vacuum sealed. I added five meals of chicken thighs to the freezer and bought a whole Angus sirloin tip at Sam's which I cut into four roasts. ($3.86#) Those were vacuum sealed so they will keep at least a year. I added five half gallons of Chobani milk for a profit. Those will get is through the month and are dated 4/15 so we have plenty of time to use them. We packed the fridge with eggs at 77 cents a dozen at Aldi. We added 11 dozen which was all we could handle. We topped off the butter supply in the freezer since it has stayed at 1.82# at Aldi. Also we were down a case of green beans so we replaced those. I need to add to my oil supply and I need chicken soup base and a canister of brown gravy mix from Sam's and the illusive macaroni. Many feel that grocery prices are going to where they will be unaffordable so we are taking that to heart. If we have all the basics stocked we can just buy perishables even if they are outrageously priced. We are NOT doomsday preppers but I have been trusting my gut on these things and I have found it to be reliable at my age.

Carol in NC said...

I have meant to mention earlier how helpful I found the moisturizing suggestion you posted a couple of years ago. I'm talking about the baby oil gel followed by the creamy baby oil. I can't claim to be 100% faithful to applying it after every shower, but when I do, I definitely notice a big difference in the crepey skin on my arms. I'm 66, so don't expect to look 26, but it's helpful. Rhonda had also posted about the Gold Bond cream for crepey skin, and it works well also.

Mable said...

We've been using up old freezer contents. The result is a lot of dinners of hash---turkey hash, kielbasa hash, hamburger hash...It is allowing me to use up some potatoes that are sitting about, some aging mushrooms and peppers, onions from the freezer. Amazing what you can throw into hash and have it taste pretty good! I even had a hash which used up a small amount of cooked spaghetti!

terricheney said...

Lana, I am watching sales at present and when something comes up I'm going on and purchasing the items if they are available. I'm at such a disadvantage being 30 miles from any decent shopping area. I still refuse to go into the local store due to the gambling. I think most of the town has given up shopping there...But I'm definitely thinking of basics FIRST and other items second.

Carol, I'd forgotten that moisturizer and you're right it worked super well. I'm very fortunate in that I was gifted a super large bottle of the Phytoplex lotion that works so well and so I am well stocked but I'll definitely try to keep those other items on hand to make my own once more.

Mable, I love hash...lol Pot pies also would use up a lot of stuff and that's another fave for me.

Tammy said...

According to my computer, it's currently snowing here. No more 70° temps for us for awhile. March is a fickle month weather-wise, still winter, yet teasing spring. I need to make some outdoor task lists as well, and start gathering my gardening supplies to take inventory. Will you work on the old cemetery again this spring?
I don't know what your kitchen renovation plans are, but we're planning to eventually update ours as well. One thing I may have mentioned in the past, but who knows if I did, is that we're going to replace all of the bottom cabinets with large drawers. It makes such sense for us so we don't have get down on hands and knees and dig around in the back of a dark cabinet. And if we don't get to replace those cabinets soon, I think I'll work on putting some pullout shelves in some.
We had a lot of fun on Saturday evening during our forced family fun night. My Nick tends to be somber (I call him a curmudgeon), but at one point he and Jessica were laughing at something and my heart just warmed as I watched them.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Goodness! March already! Where is the year going so quickly, and why is it in such a hurry?

I wanted to tell you that I received your card and enclosure with much thanksgiving. I truly appreciate it. I've been substitute teaching a lot the last few weeks, and I've gotten behind on some things including correspondence. You'll find a note in your post box soon. ~smile~

It sounds like you're getting quite a to do list together. My husband and I have been discussing the to do lists for this summer. I was tired just writing it all out!

I hope you enjoy the remainder of March.
Sending a hug and thanks!

Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage

terricheney said...

Tammy, I want all drawers on the bottom cabinets as well. I've seen some that have tall fronts and short sides and some that are deeper. I'd prefer the deeper ones. In the end, my kitchen will determine what I get only in that we have NO plans to move any of the major appliances except swapping the chest freezer for an upright one. But that part of the reno is years ahead yet.

Laura, Thank you. I got the note!