Salads Without the Lettuce

 


I was asked by a reader this weekend if I'd share my small repertoire of lettuce free salads.  I will happily do so.  I don't know why I haven't shared these before!  They are all quite good.  

One or two of these I haven't served at home just yet.  But I have tasted them and know that they are really good.  I won't share something I don't know to be really good!

Kidney Bean salad.  I found this salad featured in a Better Homes and Gardens Budget Dinners book that I'd picked up.  I tried several recipes from the book, most of which were really good.  The book listed a few menus, and this recipe was included in one of the menus.  I made the meal exactly as it was written in the 1971 cookbook.  It was surprisingly good.  It does say to line your bowl with lettuce, but you can skip that if the lettuce is too dear in cost.


You can still find this cookbook online.  



Kidney Bean Bowl

1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained (I rinsed, too)
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
1/3 cup diced process American Cheese
(I used cheddar from Aldi)
Lettuce

Combine beans, celery, onions, salt, pepper, mayonnaise.  Cover and chill.  Stir in apple and cheese before serving.  Serve in lettuce lined bowls.   Serves 8. 

Broccoli apple salad is a favorite of mine that also includes apples.  There are many recipes online and most include sugar in the dressing, some of them a ridiculously large amount of sugar.  I find a small amount (1 or 2 teaspoons) of sugar is plenty to add the flavor required in this dressing without overwhelming the dish and making it cloyingly sweet.

If you'd like to skip the mayonnaise in this salad, a friend used to use a Vidalia Onion dressing.  I don't know if this is something that is just available in the South or if it has a wider audience.  A raspberry or fruity vinaigrette would taste good as well, I think.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad is a very good salad.  Mama used to make this, and I always thought it was very tasty.  When I make it here at home, I generally leave out the bacon simply because I prefer turkey bacon and it just doesn't stay crisp in a salad.   While this particular recipe calls for pumpkin seeds and another I viewed called for nuts, we don't do those either.  I find the combination of the vegetables and the ranch dressing is sufficient flavor and there's enough texture without adding in pricey nuts.

3 Bean Salad:  I know you can make 3-bean salad from scratch, but I'll confess that I just buy salad in a can from Aldi.  It is lovely to keep a can in the fridge and serve alongside any meal when a salad is wanted.  

Tomato and Cucumber Salad.  Growing up we often had a cucumber and tomato salad.  Mama and Granny usually sliced the vegetables and then they'd serve it with a small bowl of mayonnaise or just salt and pepper.  It was good that way.  

In my later years, I've learned to make it as a chunky diced salad served with feta and a lovely Greek vinaigrette.   I've grown very fond of it this way.  

Coleslaw has many variations.  In a seafood restaurant in Florida, we were served a coleslaw with our meals that contained mini marshmallows and pineapple tidbits.  John and I looked at each other, shrugged and tried it.  It was not bad at all.  Not something I've made at home, but it was different, and it went well with my fish and his burger.

I personally prefer to grate my own cabbage.  For us, it's usually just pickle relish and mayonnaise.  There are those who will add a full 8-ounce jar of pickle relish (dill or sweet you choose) but I prefer just a couple of tablespoons and a slaw that is just moist.  Sometimes I'll add other ingredients like dill or a bit of vinegar and sugar, or I'll add grated carrot for a pretty slaw.

And I have left out the pickle relish and diced in green bell peppers and tomatoes in summer for a refreshing take on our usual slaw.  In autumn, I often make Harvest Slaw.

Harvest Slaw

1 package shredded cabbage and carrots
1 apple, diced (Gala works well with its sweet tart flavor)
1/2 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced

Mix mayo, sweetener and lemon juice well.  Mix with slaw and apple.  Refrigerate.  Add nuts just before serving and mix well.

You could add dark raisins or craisins.  Both are very good with this slaw.

And if you'd like you can use a bag of broccoli slaw instead of the cabbage slaw.

Herman's Slaw.   Herman was a man I met about 10 years ago who ate raw vegetables and fruits.  He always brought this lovely salad to our suppers and potluck meals.  It's a beautifully colorful salad and come winter I often find myself craving it simply for the colors alone.

He coarsely chopped red bell peppers, cut carrots into long thin strips, and sliced red cabbage into thin strips.  This was laid out on a platter and then it was dressed with a simple dressing that was made up of olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper.  I found when making it that adding a little Montreal Steak Seasoning added a taste of garlic that really suited this lovely colorful dish.  My family who doesn't care for mayonnaise look forward to this slaw at family gatherings.

Carrot and Raisin Salad used to be popular in restaurants and could be found on most tables in the 1960's and early '70's.  It's fallen out of favor over the last few years, but I really don't know why it should have.  I find it very good and it's almost always a hit with children.  It's simple and straightforward: grated carrots and raisins moistened with a bit of your favorite mayonnaise or salad dressing.  

Waldorf salad is another salad that is seldom seen these days.  My family has loved it for years and recently it's been a huge hit with the grandchildren.   It's just diced crisp apples, raisins or dried cranberries, toasted pecans or walnuts and a teaspoon of lemon juice.  It can be dressed with mayonnaise or with a sour cream and brown sugar dressing.  

The sour cream dressing is easy to make.  Depending upon how much fruit you have, use 2-4 tablespoons of sour cream and about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of packed brown sugar.  A bit of lemon or orange zest is a lovely addition.

I use that same sour cream and brown sugar dressing to put over Fruit Salad.  This is always welcome when I put it on the table.  I learned from a long time cook to mix both fresh and canned fruits.  She impressed upon me that it was absolutely vital to have that mix of both because of the textural difference.  You can start with a can of drained fruit cocktail, add some chopped fresh apple and sliced bananas or you can do a banana and berry mixture, add in oranges, grapes or stone fruits...You choose which are the best seasonal buy as fresh or canned fruits for you.   

My canned fruits are usually packed in fruit juice.  And I like a mixture of fruit that is a little tart to balance that which is a little sweet.  Add in some mini marshmallows if you want a sweet salad...but y'all know how I feel about sweet salads.   Those are dessert in my opinion.

Ramen Noodle Salad is something I've never made but have had on more than one occasion.  It's really interesting and good, uses what many people would keep in their pantry.  This recipe calls for canned mandarins, broken up ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, and a simple vinaigrette dressing.  This could easily be a main dish salad with chicken added in.  I think it would be delicious!

8 comments:

Lana said...

Great list! We eat salads every day. It like to mix up coleslaw dressing and keep it in the fridge to use on a number of salads which makes the prep really quick. It goes on coleslaw of all kinds, carrot salad and broccoli salad and is also good on some fruit salads. My Mom used to make kidney bean salad and oh how I hated to be told to eat it. Over Christmas while the kids were home I mixed a bunch of canned fruit that needed to be eaten and put it in half gallon mason jars in the fridge. Everyone loved it and there wasn't even a spoonful left.

Donna said...

What a fun post! Good idea to put canned and fresh fruit together. I have that same cookbook and still use it. There is a sweet and sour beef stew recipe in it and I served it to the Urban Farmer's parents (his stepdad really liked it). There is a hamburger soup that has been a favorite for years. I made a vinaigrette cole slaw (shredded carrots and a turnip to put it) to go with red beans and rice for lunch, along with cornbread. I will make a Waldorf salad to go with the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Ladies have brought the ramen noodle salad to various pitch-in dinners. It was good but I've never made it. The Farmer loves kidney bean salad (sorry, Lana!) He also likes three bean salad but it makes too much for us. I wonder if cannellini beans would be good prepared that way or if they would be too soft. Looked up ramen noodle salads on Pinterest and found several that look good. One has mandarin oranges.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for the list of salad recipes. They all sound delicious to me! Elizabeth

Slughorn said...

Many thanks!

Herman's Slaw sounds intriguing.

Lana said...

Don't forget about growing your own sprouts if lettuce gets hard to find because of the California floods.

Frances Moseley said...

This is a great list of ideas, Terri. I am always looking for new salad ideas for my work lunches, especially in winter. Thanks for sharing these delicious sounding salads with all of us.

Karla said...

Some of these - the waldorf salad, coleslaw and several others are ones both my husband and I grew up eating. Not sure why I don't make them more often but I'll change that going forward! Can't wait to try Herman's Slaw. Sounds delicious!

Karla said...

I LOVE Ramen Salad and make it often!! I forgot to add that to my previous comment. LOL

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On