The Homemaker Plans Her Week: The Old is New Once More

 



In my home this week, we will be experiencing a change.  Not anything we haven't done before but it will have new twists as we must now incorporate a life skill training into it.   Friday evening, we came to the determination that we were all weary, frustrated and tired of a situation where we continually being told we needed to make changes, but none would be forthcoming from the party demanding those changes.  Wehn I'd mentioned during a meeting that little one would benefit if they'd work with us on this life skill it was met with sneer.  I realized then that mama was paying out a chunk of money for nothing but added aggravation and I finally convinced everyone we should just call it a loss, move on and we'd do what needed to be done in the meantime.   And so, it begins this week.  We start over and work on our own.


At this point in time, I am not whining or complaining or straining against those things that I must accept.  I've fought and lost this battle too many times now.  Victory must lie in another direction and so in the opposite direction we shall go.   It is what it is, a temporary season in a lifetime of seasons.  

Goals, projects, plans, trips, are once again put on hold.  If I am truly a believer that all things come in God's good timing, then I must trust and wait and so I shall.

Work:






I was so happy to get out to the shed last week and at least tackle a portion of the work out there.  I promised myself if I'd ruthlessly declutter the shed then eventually, I could begin to buy a few of the pretty things that I see here and there when I have a chance to thrift or antique.   My greatest hold up has not been lack of time as much as awareness that I had a shed full of things I wasn't using, and which sat upon shelves for the purpose of being had.  I loathe that.  I'm by no means leaning towards minimalism but I am tired of having things that eat up space I might use for things I like better.  Only a handful of those items are kept for sentiment.  Most are just not used and there are useless to me.

We also begin potty training this week.  We'd begun before and was making a bit of progress and then a lot of life stuff happened that interrupted the flow including multiples of hard illnesses.  So, this week we're going to begin on this again.

I also want to find some 3-year-old worksheets that we might do in a set time period each morning or afternoon.  I'd like to incorporate a time for outdoor play.  This may prove to be more difficult but I think it's necessary and so we shall struggle through it until we understand the boundaries and why they are necessary.

Zone 4 this week, with a split into another month.  Usually at this point of any month, I tackle freezer, fridge and pantry.   That might prove to be a more complicated task with a little one underfoot.  I'll do the best I can.

I need to order four birthday presents PRONTO.  My stomach clenches with anxiety with the knowledge that I have slipped up and allowed February to start breathing down my neck with a plethora of birthdays, two falling this weekend.  Ugh.  I'm not including mine in there, just everyone else's.

Does the plan to just do the best I can count as a goal for the week?  I mean to give myself as much grace as possible this week.  We're all going to be making adjustments.

First of the month checkbook work must be done.

Try to write one extra blog post this week.

Kitchen:

Reluctantly I'm planning a family day this coming weekend.  My original plan stands.   I'll purchase family sized frozen entrees and bake those.  I'll need to plan ahead and have something for supper that doesn't require a load of work on my part.  

I am in desperate need of space in my kitchen.  The island is out of place because it won't fit on the wall where it was with the chest freezer still there.  I'm going to see if John and I can move the chest freezer outdoors which will allow me space once more to put the island.  That means things on the porch must be shifted as well, sigh.  I'm telling you it's a fruit basket turn over for every physical change made in a smaller house.

Lots of meal prep.  I know that time will be my greatest shortfall and if I can prep ahead things will go more easily for me.  

Meals:  

Leftovers  We have quite the variety in the fridge and a few single serve items in the freezer.  There should be something that everyone will want to eat.

Not listed in order but by protein:

Chicken Indienne, Rice, Green Salad with apples and nuts

Leftover Chicken Pot Pie, Pear Salad, Cranberry Sauce

Jambalaya, Cornbread

Swedish Meatballs, Noodles (or Mashed Potatoes if I don't have noodles), Green Beans

Kielbasa, Pierogi, Cabbage

Beef Enchiladas, Corn, Green Salad

Personal/Leisure:

I'm not even going to tease my mind into thinking this will amount to much of anything.  I've been reading Gentian Hill by Elizabeth Goudge.  I hope to finish it off this week but even if I don't I plan to get reading time in each day.

If I can do that and rest a little each afternoon, I think I'll be okay.

9 comments:

Rhonda said...

Good evening, I truly know how you feel, trying to fit in things with extra people living in a small space.
Hope the new plans work out

Lana said...

We got ourselves a new microwave for Christmas and oh my goodness what chaos ensued. Really all we had to do was take out old one and put in new one but there was a great debate about what to do with the old one and it just needed to go to the dump which finally happened after two week of it sitting on the kitchen table and being a thorn in the happiness of all involved.

Anne said...

Yes, ladies, I, too, have half emptied a bookcase because I'm culling my keepers and only saving books I will definitely read again.

But I haven't made a firm plan on what I'll do with the bookcase when I empty it. Give it away? Sell it? I change my mind daily.

terricheney said...

Rhonda for a bit we've no choice. All the other facilities looked at require fully potty trained something that was just barely started and was pretty much pushed aside entirely when we suggested it was time to get started. If a child spends bulk of day in daycare, one does expect them to help with that and to be honest, at least two of mine had help from daycare in training, one who went part=time and the last who attended fulltime due to my working.

Lana, yes, I am over the second freezer sitting in the house taking up very much needed space. I want to have it go to the 'new' home but so far just excuses for why it can't go. Legitimate excuse on our part is we don't have a vehicle to transport it there.

Anne, my solution thus far has been to pack up books (six boxes) and there they sit as we try to determine what is best solution to deal with them. I also have a box that I do want but don't have shelf space for. Obviously I need a bigger bookcase but at present I'm wary of spending more money on anything much.

Detective (lol) Jane, Thank you for commenting...Plans fail. Yes, there is a great relief in having a decision made and though it is temporary it is a challenge. I am struggling but I will manage this, too. I appreciate prayers!

Donna said...

You can count on prayers from this corner. When my oldest daughter was the director of a Goddard School, the staff did the potty training. I had girls so I have no experience in training a little boy.

Karla said...

Sending prayers for this new season and hoping it's temporary but fruitful!

terricheney said...

MamaHen, I thank you for the website suggestion. I'm not expecting a lot of him just now. He's only just over three and I figured if we could start to count 1-5, learn colors and shapes we'd be doing good. This morning we played with a block set we have that sorts (square, rounds, hexagons) and has primary colors. We colored on a piece of paper and talked about why the little boy and girl were so happy and what color hair and eyes they might have or what color shirt they were wearing. I figured with starting potty training that's a pretty big deal sort of day.

MamaHen said...

Teri, you are so right about potty-training. It can be hard and exhausting for mom and child.

Anne said...

I forgot to tell you that when I was tearing my hair out over potty training 48 years ago, some wise woman said to me, "I have never yet heard of a man who walked down the aisle still wearing a diaper. He'll get there."