Diary of a Homemaker's Week: Try and Try Again




Saturday:  We truly did sleep in this morning, the whole lot of us.  John and I got up later than ususal and had coffee, croissants and bagels before anyone else got up.  It was rather nice. 

John told me yesterday that he wanted to go out today.  He did not say what he wanted to do, only that we were going out.  I make plans but hold them loosely.  Then if mine fit his, it's fine and it they don't, it's fine.  

I couldn't tell by the route we were taking where we were going.  I thought we were going to one spot and then another and then changed my mind to a third.  I was quite surprised at where we ended up.


Months ago, I'd made the comment that I really wanted to go to Red Lobster this year for my birthday.  And that's where John took me, even though it wasn't quite our birthdays.

I have to confess it was very nice, quiet and restful to be there having a meal without constantly reminding a 3-year-old to sit in the chair and finish the meal.  I can't say we had a long conversation.  In fact, we spent most of the drive and the meal in silence.  But all throughout the meal I was so pleased that he'd remembered that I wanted to go out to this particular place to have a meal.

We took a long way home.  It was lovely to see the changes that had been made since we'd last driven that way around.  Lots of clearing land and a few new houses going up.  Fields that looked dead as winter and fields that were fresh and green as spring already.  The river is swollen and has flooded the outlying swamps nearby.  It very much looks and feels like winter.

And then home to our muddy drive.  I thought we'd get a bit of a rest this afternoon, but it didn't work out so.  It's been a rocky day, again.  It will calm down once more when the anxiety is done.

Meals:  Croissants and Bagels.  I am out of cream cheese.  Because of the long shelf life, any time I find it affordably I always have four or five packets on hand but this morning, there was none...Why? And why did no one mention there was none?

Fish and Chips for me, Steak and Salad for John

Pizza, just pizza.

Sunday:  Shared Birthday with John and Little Miss.  I knew there was planning afoot but not what the plans were exactly.  

John and I barely made it out the door this morning in time to get to church, and we missed breakfast entirely.  Oh well. We made it to church on time, so there was that.   I'd mentioned that in light of this week's menu, I really needed to visit the grocery store today.  John wanted to go to Aldi, and I agreed but wasn't sure I'd find all I needed.  'We could always run by another if that's the case...'   That was threat enough for John to insist we'd just shop at Publix.

Things today were pricey.  Had it not been for the birthday dinner request (which won't even happen until tomorrow, since we have a meeting tonight at church), I'd have skipped at least two items on my shopping list, but a birthday is a birthday and comes round only once a year, so I figured we could splurge that little bit.  Despite those costs, I was careful to look over prices and shop accordingly on all other items.  I saved nearly 33% of my bill by choosing sales and such, so the cost of the birthday dinner almost evened out.  John insisted I get flowers and I chose a bigger bouquet since it was to be for my birthday. 

I was happy to get a Lactose free yogurt for the Little One today.  I discovered that it would be free as I scanned through the coupons from the store which I'd loaded on my phone.  

Home, with lots of texts flying between folks and since it was still fairly unclear what the plans were exactly, I was glad John insisted I buy hot dogs (on sale) and buns.  I knew I had chips at home.  I figured that was a reasonably good lunch for us all and if anyone had planned anything different, it was also easily put aside for another day.

I'd love to say things went well for the party, but the children were wild, the younger adults stressed to the max and the senior adults wary of both groups, lol.  

I didn't care at all for how things ended up going.  I was not happy with a parental mandate, but I bit my tongue after an initial plea and accepted that I'm not parent and it's not my place.  But I will confess it was a bitter disappointment to me that things went as they did.  By the same token, I must add that like it or not, I'm very proud that my children are strong enough in their parenting lives to tell me politely and respectfully, "I'm attending to this, Mama...Let me handle it."  I don't know if I'm proud because they feel confident or because we have a relationship in which they know they can say this and I'll back them up, even if I'm not thrilled with the action.  

Somewhere there is a dear little video of Little Miss and Grampa singing Happy Birthday to each other and each time they sang 'to you...' they'd point at one another with a huge smile.  Cupcakes were a lovely surprise which we all appreciated.  

Testing went on all afternoon long, with Little One determined to push boundaries.  It's been exhausting and difficult and has left more than one of us feeling shattered and weary.  It will get better.  It will get better. It will...Kindly my daughter in law reminded me of this.  She's been through it twice already and is dealing with it again with her third, who turned three today.  "It does stop after a bit...and then it's a whole different sort of crazy."   No doubt.

Time to get ready for our meeting...

later:  Home from the meeting.  It was a scratch supper tonight for each of us, everyone taking leftovers chosen from the fridge.  Tomorrow night I'll cook a proper birthday dinner for John.  As for my own, remember that John took me out to eat on Saturday, so I've had my special meal.

But I do have a birthday cake!  Yes, I do...Publix sent me a coupon good for a cake or half gallon of ice cream and I opted for a Chocolate Hazelnut Cake.

Speaking of Publix, I was uploading my receipt this evening on Ibotta and Fetch.  Honestly, Ibotta and I have a 'Meh' sort of relationship.  They don't think much of my brand choices, and I find they seldom have deals on anything I do use.  But now and then I'll get 10c for a receipt photo.  Today, such a nice surprise.  I got a full refund on that dairy-free yogurt I got this morning.  So, I actually was PAID to buy the yogurt.  Yay!

Tomorrow is a new day.   I so hope things go well with the Little One in the new school...But that is truly tomorrow's worry, isn't it?  Not a thing to do with today.

Meals: we skipped breakfast

Hot Dogs, Cheese Puffs, Cupcakes

Everyone's choice of leftovers.  I won't bore you with all the choices made but it was a help in nearly clearing out the fridge.  

Monday:  The little one was happy enough this morning and seemed okay about going to school.  His mama said later that she went in with him to see him settled (which I expected she would) and he seemed happy enough with it all.  I admit the last nursery has left me gun shy about phone calls and even texts coming in, so I cringed today every time I got a text or call, but no dreaded call came.  

Overall, it's been an emotional day.   I am not emotional because it's my birthday but over a bevy of unrelated concerns that have hit me over the past 24 hours.  I think I've said before that there are times when the pain others are experiencing really seems to bite deep into my own soul and start to consume me.  Well wishes and sweet surprises haven't offset those things I have held in my spirit this day.

I was not helped along by a rough morning with coughing and stuffy nose.  Just when I was so sure I was very nearly done with this thing, it rears up and kicks back.  I was struggling at the same time with the checkbook and getting squared up with it.  I came nearer where I should be but doggone if I can find why it's off by the little it is when every single thing has been accounted.   Then I fought with the credit card bill.  It is my habit each month to go through to check each charge made (usually kept in a file folder so I have that info handy) but Amazon charges are the worst to decipher.  

It's not just a matter of knowing what you order, but how things are invoiced.  And that's where you end up having to dig a bit deeper to find out how something was invoiced.  Even so, there are times when items invoiced together don't get shipped together, plus you must know which items you had to pay shipping on as to how those were billed, and it's just more complicated than you'd think to sort it all out.  And more so if you're continually being interrupted while you're trying to do that figuring.  I finally got it figured out.

All in all, it took the bulk of my morning to get it done.  When I came out to the kitchen, it was well past 12noon.

Biggest surprise today was the lack of leftovers in the fridge.  There are two items I know are really best suited to a single entree.  I've yet to purchase those containers I'd said I would, finding that much as I love glass containers with snap on lids, I also seemingly have a habit of breaking glass containers.  However, I definitely need to find something to use for a freezer container and get those items frozen. Those two single serve items and pizza slices were absolutely all that was left over from last week.  Pretty good job of using things up.

After lunch today, we were not happy folks.  I was struggling already and then John sat down and poured out his heart and it wasn't a happy talk in the least.  When he finally wandered off to play guitar I went outdoors with my journal, pulled a chair into the sun and sat down with it and sobbed as I wrote.  If yesterday was too much, then hearing his heart, mostly on matters with which I'd already been concerned, was even more of the same.  

Journal and nature soothed.   The sun was warm and comforting and bright.  The birds fluttered and chirped and called.  Two daffodils have bloomed out beautifully in a shaded area and the sun through the trees was hitting them in such a way they turned into molten gold.   I noted that grape hyacinths had popped up and bloomed, a sole dianthus had braved the frost and cold and bloomed, there were buds on the little forsythia.  John came out and sat down beside me and I laid down my journal.  We closed our eyes and absorbed the sun.

I did feel my mood had lightened and the heaviness had lifted.  It was a blessed reprieve.  

This evening, we took a hard hit.  The little one will not be returning to the new nursery.  He will be cared for here at home for a while longer.  Information from the facility stated he displayed signs of great anxiety.  For those of you with real life experience with an anxious sensitive child (who might have been coded as 'difficult' but is/was not) and you have any tips please share them with us.  It would be much appreciated.  

I'll just go on and add that if you have nothing but criticism for parent/grandparents involved, please do NOT comment.  Your sort of help isn't wanted nor needed.  I beg everyone else's pardon...You'd never believe some of the comments that come through at times.

Meals:  Eggs and toast

Pizza and Salad

Ribs, Corn on the Cob, Potato Salad, Birthday cake if anyone has the heart to eat any of it. Definitely will be skipping the singing and candle.

Tuesday:  I think we were all a bit shell shocked yesterday evening.   Potty training has backslid.  It's an effort and a real hassle to get him to even consider going in to sit down.  I'll keep trying but that has regressed considerably, so we'll begin again.  

Other than that, thus far today it's all been smooth as butter. The routine here is obviously part of the safe environment Little One requires.  In reading online last night, looking for any help we might find, we came up with a safe space.  In the past when there's been an upset a certain spot in the house became a haven.  It's in a corner behind a chair.  Today the space was slightly enlarged, by moving the chair further from the wall and a quilt, pillow and favorite stuffed animal (or book) are there waiting for him if he starts to feel overwhelmed by his feelings.  He's been in it twice, not due to any upset but just as a matter of play.  I remember a place I loved to huddle down in and play in Granny's living room, a place to cuddle dollies and read a few lines of a book.  It was between a big old itchy upholstered chair that was angled into the living area and the side tale that served it and the couch and I and my doll just fit nicely in that space.  It was near enough the heater to be warm, and I had only to look over my shoulder to Granny's rocker to see her nearby.  I think it's a wonderful thing to have a spot all his own.  I would like one all my own.  At supper tonight when he wanted his teddy bear, I asked, "Did he go to a safe place?"  He looked at me and then ran to that corner and came back happily carrying the bear.

On the other hand, intelligence is obviously not the issue...I was informed today at lunch that his lovely whole grain bread had seeds which he proclaimed 'sgusting'...And the table was soon littered with seeds.  I told John I'll be sure to cut bread ready for him to toast in the morning as I make plain white bread.

This morning during a spell of play, when my attention was not needed, I slipped outdoors to refill the bird feeder.  I cut two daffodils that were fully blooming.  We've got rain coming in and they'll be battered.  I'd rather enjoy them.  I came back indoors and watched birds at the feeder.  A small flock of gold finches joined the other birds this morning.   What a joy to see them. 

These days go quickly.  There's no time for any extra, just the bare routine things and making and clearing up behind meals.  I am admittedly tired, frustrated and feel caught.  I see the long line of things I've wanted for the longest time now being pushed still further back to another someday position.  It makes me sad and angry and frustrated.  And those are just my emotions.  I don't know what the other adults feel, and I certainly can't fathom what Little One feels, but I do know he's happiest here with us for the most part and that much as I think I'm giving up, there will be gain.  

I've made my pleas to the county commissioner to not put the new dumpsite just across the boundary of my land.  I don't like it one bit and I hate it mightily for the neighbor who will have to look at it from her windows.  I've done all I can, protested on the behalf of the neighbors, of myself and my family and I'm not sure we've any of us made a valid point that hasn't been addressed with reassurances, etc.  I know that dump sites are necessary.   Our county does a wonderful job of trying to keep up with them and keeping them picked up in between pick-ups.  But no one wants to live next to a dump site.  We've vast amounts of empty land here in this county that isn't being farmed and even just up the road there might be a better place but no it must go in this particular place, right next to houses...Just one more thing.

Meals:  The usual two breakfasts for Little One.  First he had orange, toast and yogurt with banana.   Then he ate a bowl of cereal and a piece of toast.

For LO: ravioli, peas, orange, bread (sgusting bread!)

John had a sandwich and leftover potato salad.  I found a serving of Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes in the fridge and ate that.

Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Green Beans, Salad, Pickled Beets.  I bought dairy free sour cream to use in the stroganoff.  Forgot to buy noodles so I've subbed in rice.

Wednesday:  Another peaceful day.  A struggle day as this cold, which seemed to be on the tip of being done, has decided it likes the facility where it's staying...Ugh.  Hard morning for me but really it is/was a peaceful day.

Just as Little One decided he was done with potty training yesterday, after our ride to take off trash, when we returned home, he ran in the house and to the bathroom.  No success yet but he made it clear he was done being stubborn and he sat patiently.  I appreciated his cooperation.

This morning he wanted to return to school.  I explained as gently as possible that due to his behavior at school he was no longer allowed to attend and that learning to better handle his emotions would help us all to see that he got back to school eventually.  He seemed to take notice of this and played quietly.  He spent a good portion of time in his safe place this morning.  He was content and peaceable.

This afternoon when he was tired, we had minor struggles.  Each time I led him to his safe place and invited him to go in.  Each time he was out again in a few minutes, and we'd had no tantrum.  He was tired, and I know that this is a time when I myself am most prone to be anxious.  It's a good lesson to myself to create a safe spot where I can retreat for a minute or ten minutes and collect myself.

I went to watch a video by Page Jordan on YouTube.  Mother of 8 she'd just finished potty training child number 6.  She recommends taking a toddler to the bathroom every half hour and that you plan to devote 3 full days to it.  She's also very much in favor of rewards.   So far, I've had little success, so I thought I'd look to others.

I don't want to rush him, by any means, but I do want to try to get the idea across that it's a growing up experience.

There's a warm southern breeze blowing out there, warming the air and the earth and there's been plenty of sunshine to dry out the driveway.  I know though that the breeze means rain will be coming to us.  I'm grateful we got a chance to dry out a bit before this next round of winter weather.

Meals:  Breakfast Sandwiches

Sausage Dogs (us).  PBJ, applesauce and cheese popcorn for LO

Chili Mac, Cheddar Biscuits, Pineapple 

Thursday:  We had a momentary success.  We went potty.  It was completely by accident.  Little One was upset and crying.  He was rewarded but honestly, I don't think he made the connection between the action and the reward.   Advice varies widely from mother of 8 to mother of 8.  I'm a sick gramma with a 3-year-old.  I'm just going to do my very best.  Honestly, I'm not that sure he's really ready for this step.  But he will at least be aware that this is how he will be going to go to the bathroom eventually.

I went out to fill the bird feeder, empty the compost, weeded a square foot of the flower bed, and watched LO ride his scooter down the drive.  Unfortunately, he refused to turn around and come back when he reached the bottom.  He wanted to keep going.  Gramma might be sick and old at the moment, but she can still cover the 1/4 mile to the mailbox in pretty good time. Of course, it helped tremendously that he was just as determined to ride his scooter which he could only move about 4 inches at a time.  It was a bit like racing a turtle.  I caught him. Then I marched him back to the house. I was rather surprised to find I was only just winded even though I continue to cough like crazy at times.  Oddly enough this made me feel less old and more capable than I've been feeling the past few days.

I didn't run him into the house but was determined to let him continue to play and did until he had a tantrum.  It was then I brought him indoors and took him to the potty, the plan being he'd go to his quiet spot after.  That was the plan but instead he went potty mid-tantrum and so he got a lollipop.  I think he missed the point all around.  I did it all wrong. 

I never thought I'd return to writing about child activities all over again.  It's like coming full circle with my writing, sigh.  The pantry work, the freezer inventory, the un-mopped floors...Is that what I want to write about?  It hardly sounds more interesting.   But I've always made it my habit to write my life, and this is life at present.  Not where I thought I'd be, but where I am.

I ordered another birthday gift for the birthday boy next door.  Then I recalled that my oldest is having a birthday this next week, as well...sigh.  And then there's Valentine's Day.  I've done NOTHING.  

I'm not juggling things very well at all.

You know what?  No one is going to die because I haven't.  And whatever I get done gets done and whatever I don't doesn't.  If it bothers anyone besides me, they can do it; otherwise, it will wait until I get to it.  This week, today, I'm tired and I don't feel great and I'm over pressuring myself to do what no one else even cares about.

Meals:  Cheese Biscuits, Sausage, Orange

(LO) Toast, Egg, Sausage, Orange (the one I'd meant for myself) and Fruit Loops.  He's a hobbit.

Vienna Sausage, Potato Salad, Apple (LO)  Roast Beef Sandwich, Potato Salad, Apple (us)

Alpine Chicken, minus the Swiss Cheese and almonds, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower, Cranberry Sauce.

I will say that this week we've all really enjoyed our meals.  I said they were pricier meals but really, they weren't.  The most expensive was the Sparerib dinner.  I know that one was expensive because the meat was very pricey and the corn, too.  But all the rest were made with what we had on hand.  I had to buy only potatoes and mushrooms to complete the rest of the meals and I did splurge on dairy free sour cream for the Stroganoff so that Little One could eat it without issue.  He wasn't even vaguely interested in the taste of it though so I could have saved that one expense.  I'll use the rest of that sour cream up in next week's menu though, so no waste there.  As for the mushrooms and potatoes, I got both of those at a lower than usual price since they were on sale, but I typically buy those anyway.  No extra splurge there.  The mushrooms I bought were white, sliced mushrooms and the 12-ounce package was half again less than the 8-ounce of baby Bella, which I usually prefer but savings counted this week and I bought for the savings.

My thought process was that I need to find more balance once again. I'd so focused on cheaper, more economical meals that I forgot the pleasure we get from eating favorites which are not really expensive meals, either.  And I've seen that the balance will come in without my forcing it.  The chili used to make Chili Mac began with only about 1/4 pound of ground turkey.  It served us chili twice and the leftovers became our dinner last night and there's enough to serve one and a half more.  For the chicken dinner tonight two bone-in breasts were used. I boned and skinned them and cut each breast in half.  We had enough for five servings and the bones and skin went into the freezer to be saved towards a broth making day.    

The Stroganoff could have easily served six.  We all ate a little extra and so I had only a small portion to set aside but again, five portions and really should have served six. And of course, eating all of our leftovers has really been a money saver.  So, the balance comes in if I just pay attention and take notice of it.

If I could just figure out how to balance the rest of my life...Maybe I should stop trying so hard!

Friday:  Here of late I've noted that sites such as Southern Living and Allrecipes are now touting fast food restaurants offerings.  I'm quite serious!  Allrecipes this week on Instagram has been telling its followers why the current season offering at McDonalds is so fabulous.  And Southern Living posted a web article on the new Chik-Fil-A sandwich.  

Both sites are well known for their good recipes...so why are they 'hosting' these fast-food places?  Is it part of their media group parent company?  I have to admit it turns me off.  I'm finding less and less that interests me in many online sites that are mass produced for public viewing.   

This morning we had ENOUGH.  John was telling me of a study he was doing with a well-known pastor's book, and I realized as he was talking that he was half right.  We weren't being financially bound at present, though that does come and go, but we are circumstantially bound.  Circumstances are against us in a variety of areas and as we talked, we felt convicted to pray over the house, the family within and the circumstances coming against us in each area.  Did I get healed of this sorry cold?  No... but I know that healing will come.  Did a 3-year-old suddenly reverse his language and declare yes to everything we told him to do?  No.  But he will change as he grows through this stage, just as he is once again recognizing that he's gone potty, so he runs to the bathroom.  Will our home remain in a state of flux forever?  No.  Nor will we be burdened forever with circumstances we had no hand in creating.  Even as I write, our lives are already starting to change.  Because there is nothing that last forever except God's promises.   

It was very cathartic prayer and much needed.  

I have taken a forward step today.  When I'd finished my morning sob session (earlier than the prayer session), I sat down and put on makeup for the first time in two weeks.  I might be sick and tired but I'm more sick and tired of looking at that haggard face of mine in the mirror.  I've done what I can to improve my appearance.  And now we've done all we can to improve our circumstances.  We will wait for change to come.

I finished the Elizabeth Goudge book, Gentian Hill yesterday afternoon and immediately picked up a book by Taylor Caldwell I'd not read before titled Melissa.  At the moment, five chapters in, I'm finding all the characters rather despicable, but I read Caldwell's books in the past and know that there is a redemptive character in them who always comes to light and makes things bearable.  So, I shall continue to pursue my reading of this novel.   

I picked up this book at the last estate sale I attended.  This is a first edition printed in 1948.  I'm curious, as I always am, how this book came to be in the possession of those who lived in the house, which was built in 1965.  It must have been something from life before the marriage began, perhaps a book given as a gift?   There is no inscription so I've no clue.  At any rate, I'll continue to read.

And so, ends another week in our home, one in which we have tried and tried to get it right.  The house is Shabat ready.  Shabat bread is cooling on the counter.  Meatloaf is in the slow cooker for tonight's meal.  I do feel slightly better.  I'm coughing a lot less.  I'm still tired but tonight I will go off to bed early again and try my best to get as much sleep as possible.  I will also return to my prayer that whatever sleep I get will be sufficient for the day ahead of me tomorrow.  I read that somewhere and it's the wisest prayer I've heard.

How was your week?

Amazon Associate Affiliate Link:  


22 comments:

Mable said...

It depends on the child's personality, but while one of the kids loved a little cubby to retire to when frazzled, the other did better being seated next to a parent (so close, thighs were touching) on the couch and asked to match his breathing to that of the parent. It calmed things down right away.

I think you are handling things admirably. He is in a safe place no matter what else is going on in his life, and that counts the most of all. Sometimes anxious kids are slower to potty train; maybe they can't control their bladders at the same time they are trying to control their emotions (ha!).

I am sorry things are so hard again in this time of your life when you were expecting peaceful living with John!

Anne said...

So sorry to hear of your struggles with the little guy. I mentioned my 50 year old son moved in with us and I'm struggling with him!!! Honestly, he seems less mature now than when he was a teenager.

And don't get me started on Amazon billing. I understand WHY they must break things down that way, because they only bill when they ship. But you have to spend a ton of time adding stuff up to make any sense of it. And I always, always carefully check credit card bills. There have been mistakes that were NOT in my favor.

Connie said...

You might try taking little one into the bathroom every time that you go and YOU get the reward for going. . A star on a chart or a sticker. Little ones love to imitate. Connie

Lana said...

Hubby took over figuring out the credit card bill and Amazon and I am so thankful. He goes in and looks at the orders to see what arrived on the same day.

We have had two grandsons who went through tough times in the 3-5 age range. The older one is the missionary/pastors kid and that is tough on children. He was crying about absolutely everything all day long. Daughter read a book about sensitive children and learned that they needed to talk things out every time he cried for what seemed to be no reason. After awhile, and I mean months, he was able to voice what was upsetting him instead of going straight to crying. He is still a very sensitive child but he handles it much better now at age ten. The other is a military kid and Dad and Mom made a wise decision to get out of the military a few months ago so they could stop moving. As a Major our son was set to move every twelve months or less from here on out. The grandson also was a victim of Covid, meaning when he should have been learning some important social skills he was quarantined at home and missed out. His response after things loosened up was to act out in group situations and when he wanted another child's attention he walked up them and slugged them. Putting him in pee wee league sports helped him learn to do he was told to do in a group but not in a place where he and to what sit still or be quiet. It was very rough at first and parents were told that he had to behave better or stop playing on the team. Being told that seemed to get through to him at age three that if he wanted to continue to play he was responsible for his behavior and only him. That did not change overnight but bit by bot got better and he was able to play. Then there was also a lot of talking about how to go about meeting other kids and that he could just walk up to them and say, Hi, my name is William, instead of slugging to get their attention. All in all with both I would say that it was a lot of talking about feelings and why they were doing what they were doing and sometimes role playing to learn correct behavior at each incident. It was a lot of work but it has paid off for both boys.

I think you are finding a good balance with meals and your budget. I do pick up those treat meal foods and keep them in the freezer as the sales come and go. I always keep a few good steaks and a rack of baby back ribs on hand because those are Hubby's favorites that he might ask for for a special meal. He doesn't fell guilty about asking for those things because he knows they are in the freezer.

I feel your pain with iBotta! Sometimes it seems I will never get enough to cash out! But, all in all I think it is still worth doing for us. We did get some awesome deals on Quaker oats over the last few weeks because of iBotta and I did need to restock those so I will continue to use it.

Hoping you all have a good weekend and Happy Birthday to all!

Conni said...

Oh, Terri, my heart is full for you (and my eyes filled reading some of it). Praising God that you and John know to seek the Savior’s mantle over your home and those there. BUT….as an outsider, it is SO cosy-feeling to know that dotter and LO are welcome there, and that you are laying memories of safe haven for others. If nothing else comes of a day, please take comfort in that. You and John are sharing your time, heart and home, and I don’t believe, some day looking back, that you will see any of it as wasted.

My input on dealing with an anxious child: We found, when our daughter was LO’s age, that if we were suggesting a new experience and she was anxious and resisting, that if we explained to her that we could see the danger/downside, she was comforted and would ‘step up’. It seemed that she needed us to acknowledge all the angles from her perspective and address them in a calm way, then she was able to process the situation and move forward.

Re the potty training - He, indeed, may not be quite ready (with everything else going on). However, as one who raised five sons may I suggest that perhaps one of the ‘big boys’ from across the field at times invite him into the ‘standing up’ action required? It seemed to work quite well here!

Be assured of my prayers - some of us were not chosen for a QUIET ‘retirement’! Conni

Frances Moseley said...

Like others, my heart goes out to you and John in these circumstances. I think you are on the right track with the way you are handling he anxious LO. Things will settle down with him given time. I agree with the comment Conni made about getting the bigger boys from across the field involved a bit with the potty training. Going like the big boys may be jsut the ticket he needs, as it seems he is making some progress. Prayers for all of you, my friend.

obscure said...

My now teenage son was diagnosed with anxiety in 6th grade - we took him to CBT and the more we learned about it, the more we realized that he'd been showing signs since he was small. So the good news of your story is that the earlier they determine what might be the problem the better - the bad is that these nurseries just expel him!! I'm not sure how old he is now but I was on the Board of Directors at my son's preschool and we had many children with behavioral issues due to factors beyond their control. (they cannot diagnose any sort of disability in a child until they're 3, I believe)Everyone in that school did everything they could to help both parents and child. I am so sorry that you're having that experience.

Mostly I want to say that you are not alone in your worries, Little One is certainly not alone in his struggles, and also that a neuropsych (my son does take anxiety medicine now) did tell us that anxious people are most often now just sensitive but also highly intelligent. Sometimes children grow out of it, sometimes they learn to manage, but natural maturation always makes it better.

Also, only my opinion and I'm no expert - it seems to me that you are handling potty training exactly right - teaching him about it without pressuring him.

Marceline Miller said...

How I wish I had real advice for you with the little one. Went down that road in the past, and oh, so SO discouraging. You're right - time changes everything, but oh so hard on the midst of it. A real regret I have is that i should have relieved the pressure by hiring some household help and more child care too. Yes, the cost of that sounded too daunting at the time and it WOULD have been a financial strain. But we should have done it, even if it meant taking on some debt - that's how strongly i believe it would have made a difference. In the long run, everyone having the chance for less stress and pleasanter memories would be well worth it. I don't pretend that I should give you financial advice, only sharing my experience and my regret.

lejmom said...

No suggestions for you, but just hugs across the miles. You are in a difficult period right now and you have no recourse. I think you are doing everything just right! You are tasked with this challenge, so you do it your way! If others don't like it, turn it over to them!

Lisa from Indiana said...

I wanted to type this comment before I forget, and I haven't read to the end of the post yet. I wanted to tell you that I always heard of Mom's letting their boys run around outside without a diaper or any pants on...in the buff. And have Daddy or Grandpa pee outside and little boys will want to imitate him :)

Donna said...

Terri, I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. This too will pass but in the meantime I continue to pray for you and your family. My youngest daughter was quite a handful for many years but now she is a responsible and loving adult.

Lisa from Indiana said...

I'm so sorry for what you are going through right now. I know I don't know the full situation, which makes it very hard to comment at all, but the thought that came to mind upon reading your words is to wonder if it is at all possible for your daughter to be a stay-at-home mom, albeit at your house, and not work for the time being? If she would take charge of all the care of Little One, it might allow you and your husband to still live a life of semi-retirement? Full-time, or even part-time, work might not be feasible for a few years. But I'm sure you've already thought of this....I'm just trying to think of anything that might ease the pain. I am praying for you.

Grammy D said...

I so love my little corner in my bedroom so understand Caleb liking a little space of his own. A little guy doesn't need much room to make it his own cozy spot. Have you tried the Cheerios game with Caleb? Put a couple Cheerios in the potty and he tries to see if he can sink them. A big round of applause for each one he sinks. If he were a little girl, what often works with them is big girl undies. Little boys in my life liked the character undies for when they were "big" boys. My son is a little too old for mama to buy undies for so don't know what is in stores. LOL. One day at a time. Katie is so blessed to have you.Gramma D

Rhonda said...

Hugs to you ❤️
Cora is almost 4, has been through a lot in her short life, and is just now getting to be what her parents consider fully potty trained. It’s just hard for some kiddos and a breeze for others.
I’m sorry about the bad comments.
I hope you know that most all your readers are truly rooting for you and sending prayers and love.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri
I enjoy reading your blog at times and my heart just filled up with this post.
I don't have many words of wisdom but as a mom of two young boys all I can say is that you are doing great.raising kids is not easy, I remember how I struggled with potty training and the preschool my kid went to won't allow kids to next class till they potty train ,I was so hard on my little guy. Now when i look back i feel i wish i knew that these are not big things and not to push the kids. Sometimes the day care and preschool schools will push the kids so much that it is exhausting.m
I would like to add ,one Montessori I sent my kid to told he is a hyperactive kid and you should get him tested for adhd .mind you he was less than 2 at that time
When I took him to our pediatrician he said he is a curious toddler and society is expecting kids especially boys to not be real self. My kid is now 10 and he is in gifted and talented program and thriving in school and yes he is still very curious.
My younger one had an even harder time in preschool, his teacher was so mean to him that he was scared to go to school. I complained to the school ,she would scream at him,never smiled or said hi when we dropped him.He was at home for 2 years in covid times and lost our social skills and was very attached to me and had huge stranger anxiety.I decided to keep him home as I anyway did not have extra money to send him to preschool. When he stared public pre k ,he struggled even more but his teacher was nice and he slowly made friends and is doing good now. He still does not love the school but does not cry every day also.
As a parent I remember how many times I cried when I was asked to come to daycare to pick him up. You already had struggle with anxiety so I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. Just want to send my hugs and hope things get better for you.
Also wish you a belated happy birthday.

Tammy said...

Well, I'm sorry the new daycare didn't work out yet. He needs some time to get over the old one and feel safe again. I love the "safe space" corner you've made for him. Everyone needs one of those!
If you need a technique to help him calm himself ever, try "blowing it out". Big deep breath in through the nose, then blow out through the mouth. Just like Lamaze breathing from the old days. Lol. It really does help them calm down. I ask them to do it with me however many times they need it.

When I potty-trained each of the two younger grands, I took a weekend and that was the focus for me. I poured the liquids into them (not literally, of course), letting them have juice (watered down) and encouraging lots of drinking. Then we went to the potty every hour on the hour. I set an alarm and we had an assortment of books in a basket to look at while we sat. It truly only took those couple of days.

If Grandmas helping out with potty training and daycare is a terrible thing, then I was terrible, too. Shame on those who would berate or criticize you for providing a home and loving care for your family.

Mrs T said...

Hello there

I’m a long time reader first time commenter. I just wanted to send you some love from across the world (New Zealand) and say how lucky your grandson is to have you in his life. Yes it’s hard but you are doing a wonderful job. My granddaughter ( the same age) has been having the same issues and teachers tell me it’s common with the pandemic babies. My little grand baby has started a new day care where there seems to be more love involved and I am so grateful that they seem to understand children more. But for now it does ‘seem your grandson needs you every day and at least you can help. I’m 8000 miles away from my little girl.

Sometimes we don’t always recognise when we are having the most influence in a child’s life. This little one needs you right now. There is a child psychologist called Nathan Wallis who is popular in NZ and his saying is Love grows brains. There’s no doubt that the little one is very loved.

Good luck, and remember this too shall pass!
Anne T.

Lana said...

I thought of something during the night. My brother worked with a lady on his learning disabilities when he was in elementary school and she told my Mom that she could always tell the kids who went to Sunday School because they had learned by kindergarten age how to sit still for awhile and interact with a group. What about taking Caleb along to church and putting him in SS? I don't know about your church but I worked with that age and we had one adult for every four kids in the classroom so it was well monitored and we did not freak out about little times of misbehavior.

Nilsa said...

My dear internet friend—as an ABA therapist—I would recommended asking your local district to evaluate your grandson for possible sensory issues or for ASD. Hugs.

Practical Parsimony said...

My son, first child, was a wild baby and child. When he two and I was pregnant , I sent him to daycare one day a week for both our sakes. He loved it and seemed so grown up after the first day. But, he wanted to go to play with children. It was my idea but he was eager...and anxious.

When he was three, he was accepted into a Playschool. A woman had a class in her house. I don't remember what they were learning or doing since that was 50 years ago. But, he love his half day there.

We moved when he was four and he went to a church kindergarten. It was awful. The class was in a basement where you had to walk past the furnace and the only exit. Homework was sent home. This angry child refused to do it with tears and despair. Finally, I was getting notes. No parent was allowed in the kindergarten class. The only contact we had was angry notes home to me. He called his teacher "that teacher." Nothing could induce him to call her by name.

I took him to another kindergarten across town. He flourished. A neighbor up the street that I did not know, took her child out at the same time. She said there were problems that her daughter, very quiet child, would not discuss.

At the second kindergarten, they said he went to the bathroom all the time for the first two weeks, that he was a nervous and anxious child. They said there were problems at that church kindergarten, that lots of kis were very nervous when the transferred.
When he went into first grade, the same kids were there. And, obviously, the same attitudes in the school. I knew he had behaved well in Sunday school and playschool. But, something happened. I still don't know what happened in the two rooms. I have no idea if he was threatened, sexually abused. He just refused to say. He is 54 and still refuses to discuss it, not even answering one little question.
Then, he went into second grade and was not doing well in school. He hated school. He was destined for a low-paying job the way things were going.

We moved in the middle of the second grade to another state. He began to do well in school. He won the spelling bee in the fourth grade and made great progress. His teachers were impressed how smart he was.

He did refuse to learn to read, try to read, or want to read. The summer after second grade, I sat all fat and pregnant with him by me on the couch, reading to him, modeling intomation instead of flat words. This was the skill in kindergarten he hated. So, I had to repair three years of neglect and abuse of some sort in these grades.

Finally, I "made" him read Call of the Wild. Well, the first day was the only pressure I put on him. He came in breathless every day, telling me what was happening to the dog. After that, he devoured the book and everything he could get.

His grandfather or father is the best teacher of peeing in the commode. Please don't get older boys across the field involved. That could turn out tragic.

My son would pee but only pooped in his pants or in a corner on the floor until he was three! I was so frustrated.

I hleped a friend toilet train her grandaughter 4 and grandson 5. I firmly believe in bribery. I told the children I would give them something every day the did not go in their diaper. At first, these were bits of junk from my house, a ribbon or cute card. Then, I went to yard sales and bought hot wheels or trinkets. It worked. You can cut this down to once a week prize after about a year. They will not want to go in their pants or wear a dirty diaper!

My girls were easy to train, thankfully. Sorry this was so long.

terricheney said...

I don't know what's going on with blogger at the moment but here are scores of comments I've not read, except Nilsa's which came through my email inbox. I so appreciate all the sympathy and support. Many good suggestions here and many just letting me know this is not a new road that I alone am traveling down. Thank you all.

Karla said...

I don't have any suggestions. I was very blessed with easy children, the second of which potty-trained herself. I'm not bragging, I'm simply saying I have no clue because for some reason God allowed me to have it simple (maybe he knew I wasn't quite strong enough to get through it? LOL).

I'm so grateful that LO has a safe place with you and Grandpa. Of all the things you could be to that little boy, a safe and loving place is the most important, I think.

He's been through so much in his little life, no fault of his and really just life circumstances. I can understand why he's anxious. I'm so glad you all have him in your home to help him grow through this. I don't, for one second, think it's easy or even fair. But I my goodness I'm so amazed at the grace and grit with which you all take on life. Much love. Praying for you.

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On