The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Spring is HERE

 

In my home this week, I am running behind already.  And I've really no idea why...

I suppose the weekend was busier than I'd realized it would be.  I'm certainly tired at the moment, but a good night's sleep will help put that right once more.  

 By the time this is posted and most of you see it, Spring will be HERE.  Does it feel like spring outdoors?  Not in the least.  It's cool and breezy and meant to be frosty in the morning.  I don't know how the peaches and strawberries have fared thus far.  I don't know how the budding Easter Lilies will handle it or the single red bud that tried to bloom today on the rose at the back steps will last or the iris.  Or all the lovely new leaves that positively make your eyes ache they are so very green.

In the meantime, I'd best get busy and get this little post written and posted.

Work:




Technically, this is Zone Week 4porches and patio.  Given the faint haze of yellow on the heavy breeze today pollen season is not quite done with just yet.  Never mind that.  Both porches need some help.  I have a cat being fed on the front and back porch.  There is some mildew from the wet damp winter we had.  There are pieces of furniture that look downright nasty from all the dust and pollen and drips from rain and fog melded together.  The floors are gritty.  There are empty pots that never have been emptied and cleaned and soil that's never been sifted and amended.

So, this week I'll focus on those three areas.  I might not get everything done and it might get done later in the day rather than earlier but all three will be tidied and cleaned somewhat this week.

I've no plans to tackle any big house projects indoors.  I'm making no plans to be anywhere or do anything in particular at this point other than routine housework.  


Kitchen:

I find that having meal prep done all in one day, or pretty much done, is a great time saver and a huge bonus for me each week.  If I find I'm particularly stressed and weary on a day I can usually toss together a meal without too much fuss and yet it doesn't feel like a fly-by meal.  It is a homecooked, thoughtful menu that is presented nicely on plates.

That means I need to take meats from the freezer, cut vegetables, wash lettuce, and if it's a slow cooker meal, then toss it all in a bag to be cooked at a later time, or even go on and cook it and then simply reheat later in the week.  

My big failure of late has been there is no prep nor even plan for breakfasts and lunches and there I am at zero hour with a need for a meal and no clue what I might make.  I throw things together at that point and often without any thought or plan to use what we have.  I don't like that stressor in my week, and I can eliminate it with a little bit of thought ahead of time.

Meals:  



Pizza

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Mac n Cheese, English Peas, 

Corned Beef, Buttered Potatoes, Cabbage, Soda Bread

Mongolian Beef Noodles, Egg Rolls, Salad Broccoli

Chicken Tacos, Pineapple Salsa, Southwestern Salad

Chili, Cornbread

Roast Chicken, Pan Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Apples, Steamed Broccoli

Personal/Leisure:



I've been trying hard to make it a point to do my nails on Friday or Saturday.  I take time to remove it on Monday because by that time it's chipping and looks tatty and if I leave it on, I tend to peel it which is horrible for my nail health.   I also want to take time this week to use a mix of oil and lotion on my hands twice daily.  My skin is responding to the care I give it but I often ignore my hands until bedtime each night, despite itchy dry skin and ragged cuticles.  I can improve this if I just take a little extra care.

One thing I've noticed of late is the lack of outdoor time.  Yes, it has been pollen heavy outdoors and cold but I need that sunlight each day.  Get outdoors!

Continue to read daily.

No mindless scrolling.  I'll set a timer and quit when it goes off.  Otherwise, I might spend hours at it.  It's an escape route is all that it is but there are better ways to escape without ending up with vague dissatisfaction.

Spend time doing Bible study.  I tried to incorporate it last week and managed two or three times.  I can do better than that.

5 comments:

Lana said...

When my sister and I were talking on he phone the other day we decided that we are hungry all night because we both plan meals when we are are awake in the night. But, it is a huge help to know exactly what we are eating for all three meals the minute I wake up.

Mable said...

Once a month I make about a zillion sourdough pancakes and freeze them. They do well in the toaster and make a fast and hearty meal. I also make up a bunch of sausage egg mcmuffins once a month. I priced it out once and the homemade was about half the price and they are a fast and easy thing to grab for breakfast or lunch. We don't eat either one of these things every day but often enough that it reduces my need to plan a lot for three meals a day.

No spring here in northern Alaska. It was 12 below last night, although it is supposed to get above freezing during the day. I am tired of winter and the ice just waiting to yank you to the ground.

Slughorn said...

Hi, Terri,

My freezers are stuffed.

So, yesterday I took down 4 things to use in meals this week:

1 lb ground lamb (I'm the only one in the family who eats lamb)
1 package precooked taco beef
1 package smoked chicken thighs
1 package lentil stew.

I had a package of meatballs already thawing.
Here's my plan:
Cook the lamb with spinach, mushrooms, and onions. Have for my lunches over rice.

Meatballs -- into Dh's lunchbox, T-W-Th

dinners:
leftover corned beef from yesterday. Make reuben sandwiches? crudités.
taco beef over rice, side salad
chicken thighs stir fried (veggies from freezer)
lentil stew with bread maker bread (stew already contains carrots, onions, and spinach).

memo: eat up the sherbet from the refrigerator freezer

Need to keep experimenting to find a bread maker recipe that works for sandwich bread with my machine.

I am learning a lot from your blog. Why did I never make lists of favorite meals before? And a list for items-to-hunt-for at the 2ndhand store? And, shamefully, why don't I have an inventory of what's in the standing freezer?

I had a wonderful grocery thrill yesterday: A friend texted to say that eggs were getting marked down to $1/DOZEN. I told a neighbor, who went out to the grocery and brought me back 2 dozen.


Lana said...

Slughorn, our bread Machine recipe is
1 c whole milk warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave
1/3 c water
3 c bread flour, we use Sam's
2 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t fine sea salt (no other kind)
2 1/4 t yeast
2 T butter

We find that salt greatly effects the outcome of the bread. This loaf is great for sandwiches, toast and when it is a few days old it makes wonderful French toast or Texas toast. I cut the ends into cubes and make croutons.

terricheney said...

Lana, when I can't sleep, I watch cooking videos...Tell me about being hungry at night, lol!

Mable, Both are ideas that would work well here, too. I just need to do it!
Daytime temps are decent this week but 28 last night/this morning.

Slughorn, Reuben sandwiches...That's something that should be on my menu at some point this week since we are having corned beef tonight. I don't have rye bread but I'll bet a Reuben tastes like a Reuben despite that. I also have Sauerkraut that I need to use.
Oh goodness! I hope we see those prices on eggs soon too! I'd need those and butter but keep waiting to see if they will drop the price.
The Memo to eat up sherbet...Yum!

My bread machine recipe that works best for me of all I've tried is 1 cup warm water, 3 tbsps sugar, 2 tsps yeast and after 12 minutes I add in 3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 cup oil.