The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Spring Cleaning





In my home this week,  I have decided that in this fresh season before me I'm going to put my hands on something green every single day.  I have a wealth of plants indoors and out that need a little love and care.  Repotting, trimming and deadheading, pruning, weeding about the bases of plants...It's the season and I need that direct connection with nature which I find deeply soothing and satisfying and vital.  

The routine things will be gotten to, but I'll not do them to the exclusion of those daily moments when I shall put my hands in dirt and dig among roots.


Work:

Technically this is a fifth week, and I don't have a specific zone I focus on for this.  I've recently cleaned the shed and gathered a bunch of donations which have been delivered.  I may try to get out there this week and see if I can find a second bin of stuff to go.  The pantry has recently been cleaned and organized fresh.  I think I'll continue focusing on the porches and patio and work on those areas.  I still have pots to empty and freshen.  There's plenty to be done and I'll try to get out each day this week and attend to something outdoors.  I'll use the small bites method though.  I can't do as I did in the past and work myself into the ground and then take three days off, not with a three-year-old running around.

Indoors, I want to start the seasonal laundry.  Pillow covers, blankets, throws, sheers, those curtains that aren't foam backed, etc.  Since John is laundry man, I won't overwhelm him and dump it all at once.  I will give him fair warning though and just add enough to make up a load each day.  Vacuuming blinds and those curtains that can't be safely washed will be done as I get to those zones this next month.

Otherwise, I'll just focus on routine housework and continue to take a few minutes to declutter various areas.  I'm really bothered by how much stuff we seem to have in odd spaces at present.  Now that I know that Katie will be with us until the end of the year, I'd like to see what I can do to remedy several of these areas.  

John's music room is packed, and he's mentioned the clutter there is hindering his creative inspiration.  I understand that very well.  I'd like to get some things out of his music room that he kindly offered space to store.  We didn't realize that it was going to be a longer-term thing at the time.  So, there's that.

And I won't plan a thing further!  There are always three meals, laundry, routine cleaning, etc. to fill the days.  

Kitchen:  

Taking time each week to sort out the fridge twice a week has gone a long way to preventing waste.  I'll do this again this week.  I know the fridge freezer has quite a lot of bread ends and pieces that I should drag out and do something with at present.

Meal prep is a huge help each week, too. I am deeply appreciative of the time I've taken to do this, especially in the afternoon time period when I find I'm tired and sometimes others are testy.  Knowing supper is pretty well prepared makes a difference in my attitude and helps me hold the line.

This week I want to focus on getting a complete freezer inventory.  I've added so much to the freezer and used as I would normally but I'm not sure what I've got left.

I'd like to make up a few easy to prep breakfasts.  I have a goodly stock of muffins for breakfasts that we really need to start using.  Two overripe bananas on the counter are making me think that banana bread is going to go into the freezer this week, too.  Perhaps I'll use one of the dozen cans of pumpkin on the shelf to make Pumpkin Banana bread.

This week would also be a good week to get that warm weather menu listing done so I'll have ready ideas when the warmer days are finally here.

Meals:  

Chicken Pot Pie, homemade cranberry sauce, Sweet Potatoes, Coleslaw

Clear the fridge

Chicken Tacos, Pineapple Salsa, Green Salad

Italian Pepper Steak, Rice, Green Beans, Garlic Bread

Beef Kielbasa, Creamed Cabbage, Hash Browns, 

Beef Stew, Cornbread, Peach Cobbler

Italian Meatloaf, Rice, Asparagus, Biscuits

Personal/Leisure:


I continue to read The Blue Butterfly

My thoughts: I still don't feel I know this character very well.  As near as I can tell from the additional reading I've done on the subject of Marion Davies, the book pretty much sticks to proven facts, recounts a few rumors but if they are not proven facts, they aren't embellished, just added in and explained away.    The scenes with her and Charlie Chaplin are more intimately detailed than any with Hearst. Skipping over the more explicit (although not graphic or lengthy) has slowed my reading of this book.  I don't dislike it enough to stop reading.  And it's certainly not been as difficult emotionally to read as my last two or three choices, so there's that.

I didn't say, but I watched "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" last weekend and that is such a delightful film.  I think anyone would enjoy that one.  I read that book often in my youth and returned to read it again and again.  I went looking for a copy after watching the movie and we'll just put that on the wish list because right now the original copies are dear as diamonds.  Paperback reprints are more affordable, but it sort of makes me mad that I didn't keep Granny's old Reader's Digest Condensed version when I might have.

Book and movie reviews aside, I'll continue reading the current read and then I plan to pick up something simpler and less complex to read.  

Manicure.  I know a manicure will never last me through the week, but I really love doing my nails for the weekend.  This is my little treat to me, often something I do on Friday evenings once dishes are finished up.

Set up a few more outfits for wardrobe needs.  

Take time out to order a few clothing items I need for the warmer months ahead.

15 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Terri

Have you read Father by Elizabeth von Arnim? I recently enjoyed this read.

terricheney said...

Angela, I haven't. I'll have to look for it.

Sue said...

I learned about Mrs. 'arris Goes to Paris from this blog, and watched it last night with my DD. Such a lovely little film! Really a treat to watch--can't recommend it enough. Thanks to all who mentioned it here and made my rainy, gray Saturday afternoon so cozy and sweet.

Tammy said...

March is being her usual self, winter one day, spring the next, then winter, then spring. Yesterday was close to 60°, then we awoke to a few inches of snow that fell through the night. It was raining when I went to bed. This coming week we'll have temps in the 40s, 50s, and a day in the 70s. The snow is all gone, having melted during the day.
Layla is here to spend the night again, for the 3rd time in as many weeks. Jess, Scott, and the boys went to Kansas City to see Hamilton. They won't be home until late, so instead of disturbing her to wake and go home, she'll just sleep here.
My MIL, who turned 85 on Friday, was positive for the virus this morning. I'm the only one of us who wasn't over at her house to say happy birthday on Friday. I guess we'll wait and see if anyone gets sick this week...
I attended my niece's school musical on Friday night with my brother, SIL, and two nephews. The play was "Into the Woods", which I hated as a movie, but the kids did a phenomenal job performing for the play. Grace had a lead as Cinderella, and sang so beautifully!
Jess and I had our cups at a craft and vendor show in town on Saturday. We sold a few things, but mostly got lots of compliments on how pretty they were as people walked by. It was nice talk with people I hadn't seen in awhile, and to meet some new vendors who hadn't been at that show before.
This coming week I do have some cups to do for orders, but mostly I'll clean and set the house to rights again. Today I went through a couple of kitchen cupboards and have a small stack of items for donation, and some for Greg's bbq cupboard in the garage.
I better go check on Layla. It's pretty quiet, but she needs to take her asthma meds before bed, so I may have to wake her to do that...
Have a wonderful week!

Mable said...

Terri, if you have not seen the movie 84 Charing Cross Road, you might want to see it. Lovely true story set in England and the US after WWII. Gentle, sweet...filmed years ago but I watch it every few years and am still loving it.

terricheney said...

Sue, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I will probably watch this one many times again.

Mable, I've seen 84 Charing Cross Road and love it. It's a lovely story.

Tammy, our weather is up and down. Not snowing, thank you very much! I hope Layla feels better. And I hope the rest of the family remain virus free.

Slughorn said...

According to justwatch.com, 84 Charing Cross Road is free with ads on Tubi.

Do you all use your library?

Ours has HOOPLA, which lets us choose up to 6 items to check out for streaming every month. (3 days at a time.) I generally choose BBC mysteries, like "Death in Paradise" "Father Brown Mysteries" or "Inspector Lewis"

Today I cooked 3 corned beef roasts in tandem. (Pressure cook one, lift it out, start the next one cooking.)

Tonight was Reuben sandwiches, all the other roasts and leftovers are going to be vacuum-sealed for the freezer.

Louise said...

I went to Prime Video and found the title Mrs. 'arris Goes to Paris but it was going to cost me money so I found a different movie to watch. I was disappointed that I couldn't see it. Maybe because I am in Canada???

terricheney said...

Louise, I have a Prime membership. I suppose if you don't they'll charge for the movie. I hope you can get it through a library loan! The book is worth reading too and you might definitely find that online in one of the free library apps.

Slughorn, our local library has very odd hours. I have Tubi and several other options on my Fire Tv.

Slughorn said...

Too bad about your library hours...I do a lot of streaming/online thorough my library's website:

Hoopla -- streaming movies; had to register with them through the library's website. Had problems and did have to go in to get things started.
Libby -- downloadable books through library's website. Have been using overdrive/libby for years; don't remember if I had to sign up in person.
NY Times -- 3 day access, through a code from the library's website.

Whenever I am going somewhere with a lot of waiting, I download library books to use in the dead time. Also before vacation ... lots easier to just take a tablet along. And, of course, no overdue fees, since they return automatically when time is up!

Slughorn said...

BTW, I don't regularly read NYTimes, just occasionally get the 3-day online code from the library. Articles like these:

How to Cook for Unexpected Guests: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/22/dining/how-to-cook-for-unexpected-guests.html

The Food Expiration Dates You Should Actually Follow: https://www.nytimes.com/article/expiration-dates.html

14 Breakfast Ideas to Jump Start Your Mornings: https://www.nytimes.com/article/breakfast-recipes.html?searchResultPosition=4

I have known people who came from 40 miles away to join our library, just so they have online access to things like the Oxford English Dictionary, Consumer Reports, and Ancestry.com.

My youngest works at the library, so she clues me in to new features and programs. During Covid, they had curbside pickup. Now they have 24/7 lockers for pickup when the library is closed.

terricheney said...

Slughorn, WOW you have a terrific library! Ours is rural and covers a 100-mile radius area. Mostly new books and mostly sets by certain authors that the old librarians favored and nothing much new. The system next to ours covers a larger municipal area and might have all the amenities but I will have to check. For summer programs our 2 locals were rather nice this past year.

I've always preferred the next town over since it has a University in town and they naturally have a lot more of a mix of patrons.

Slughorn said...

I misspoke. They have to use ancestry.com in the library, but they can access HeritageQuest from home...

But, yes, we do have a terrific library. We have a branch a half-mile from home, so I'm set.

Slughorn said...

Oh! Your comment reminded me ... library programs for toddlers. Ours has story times twice a week, I think. May be a thought for Caleb...

Karla said...

Slughorn, you sound like a soul after my own. Our library system sounds just like yours and I also have Kanopy for movies/tv as well as Hoopla, Libby, Lynda.com (or the new version of it), Duolingo, and all sorts of goodies. I'm a library-aholic. LOL

Terri - I saw you mention Mrs. Harris so I shall be watching that this evening and painting my nails since hubby is out of town overnight for a conference. At least that's the plan. We'll see if it happens. Last night I couldn't get the tv to work properly so I just read a bit in my quarterly history article magazine that comes as part of my Oklahoma Historical Society membership.

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On