The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Slowing Season?

 




We had a busy week behind us.  It didn't appear it would be all that busy when I was making my plans for the week, but things changed when the boys both separately with their Grandparents' Day invites.  You wouldn't think it would upset a week, but it was just the beginning of a whole slew of changes that came up following their visit.

I'm not going to say I did everything on my list last week, but I did make a really good attempt to do something in the zone work and made most of the meals on my menu plan.   We do what we can do, right?


We have two social evenings and one appointment, one family dinner on Sunday and keeping Millie on Thursday.  I know that any of these could be subject to change.  I can only go with the flow, right?

Work:



Zone 3: Beds and Baths.  This will be the high concentration area.  I've said before that I'm really tired of having a 'camp' kitchen.  I am.  I don't know if the contractor means he'll start October 1, or sometime in October which might mean October 31.  No clue.  But I simply have to have some lids, a few casserole dishes, and a 9x13 pan to cook with.   It was all fine and well while the heavy heat was with us but now that cooler weather is coming in, I want to cook, and I want to cook properly.  

What does this have to do with the bedroom?  The boxes of kitchen stuff are stacked in that room.  And I've been saying I'd love to eliminate some of the 'clutter'.  I've already sorted out the trunk, my clothing drawers, tidied the closet, deep vacuumed the room...What I need to do is dust and then I want to unpack some boxes and try to sort through the unnecessary items.  

I would also like to swap out my current spread for the heavier winter spread.  This might well be a mistake because I don't think we need anything that heavy but I'm ready for a change.  Then I can get the summer one washed up and put away fresh for next year.

In the bathroom I need to deep clean the shower and I want to sort out the tall storage cabinet.  The towels are a mess.  Things are messy in all the cabinets.  I want it all to look tidy.  There's no perfect solution just at the moment but I'll do what I can.

I really need to get busy and plant.  I've got a few cold weather items I can manage.  I also need to check the potatoes and see if they are ready to harvest.  I have another teensy white eggplant coming along.  I think the tomatoes are refreshed after cooler temperatures and plenty of rain, ditto for the oregano, mint and basil.  I just need to make this work a priority.

I'd like to get floors mopped this week.  The kitchen and the baths, both entries.

Kitchen:

Make bagels, oatmeal cookies, and try to do a little more breakfast prep work. I have two boxes of pancake and muffin mixes that needs to be used. I don't normally keep either one on hand, but I have them and don't want them to expire.  


Meals:  

On our own

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Hash Brown Casserole, box Mac n Cheese (children), Sliced Tomatoes

Chili, Rice, Cornbread, Pineapple Salad

TikTok Chicken 'Cobbler', Coleslaw

Mongolian Beef and Noodles, Broccoli, Mandarins

Pork Chops, Everything Bagel Roasted Cauliflower, Green Beans

Fish, Fries, Coleslaw, Hush Puppies We never had fish last week.  I hope to get to make it but we'll see.  It is one of the rare things that John really dislikes.  


Personal:

I don't think I read a single word of any of the books I was reading last week, but I am ready to get back to it.  I find more and more that the idea of sitting before the computer all evening long, which has been a long term go-to for my evenings just palls.  

I did read a book by Pastor Ben Dailey, Captured by Grace, which I read in sections.  It takes me about a week to finish a chapter the way I read this one, but it's got me doing a lot of thinking!

I've been trying to break up the long periods of computer time I'm prone to indulge in.  I watch videos one evening, read blogs one evening and have a game night in which I'll play a round of one of the games I've downloaded, but then I try to do other things.  I read, color, write.    I really do want to get back into the genealogy work I had done a few years ago.  I love research and going down rabbit trails.  

I'm trying to make sure Caleb gets outdoors every day and I'm hoping as it gets cooler, we'll get out twice a day instead of just in the early morning times.  I like to make time to putter about plants and garden while he's outdoors but I'm not adverse to simply sitting either.  There is something very restful in just sitting with the natural world around me.

I'm trying to be more proactive with 'caring for me': keeping myself well groomed, writing more often in my journal, taking time to set up outfits to wear, etc.  I find I feel better overall if I do those things.  

Most importantly, I am still trying to watch what I eat.  I've been very good about not overeating the sweets I've made thus far.  It's the salty foods I crave that make it a bit harder. I keep reminding myself that I am doing this one hour at a time.   I'm gauging progress by how my clothing fits. It helps a lot to put on something that doesn't fit well and remind myself of why I'm doing this and it takes all of seconds to try it on and take it off.

This week, I want to get back into the habit of drinking a glass of water as the first thing I do each day.  I don't even remember when I left off this habit, but it's been quite some time ago.  


1 comment:

Karla said...

The computer/phone is so tempting just to veg out in front of in the evenings, isn't it? Thank you for reminding me to just put it away and pick up a book or my coloring book and crayons. I get sucked in and it's like a vortex pulling me down. I've also gotten back to geneaology but I do mine on Ancestry. I've made some good progress this week and found a 2nd/3rd cousin with lots of photos and information that I didn't have. It's very exciting. I was prompted by my brother, and his wife, finding the exact plot of land our great-great-grandfather had initially claimed during the 1889 Land Run here in Oklahoma. My sister-in-law took a photo of my brother and his son standing on the land. Over 100 years since a member of our family had stood there.

I also needed the reminder about caring for myself better. I am not good at consistency - especially with my hands and feet care (and nails). I'm trying to lose weight currently but it's going oh so slowly. I initially lost 5 pounds a month or 2 ago and now I seem to be back to stagnant. It's discouraging. I wish I could say my clothes fit differently but they simply don't.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue