Thrifty Thursday: Reset

 


Friday:  I had a lovely morning in the kitchen.  Nothing is more frugal than baking your own bread.  I got started on a loaf of our usual bread right away.  It was cool enough this morning to allow me to use the oven and I took full advantage!

I thought I was going to make a pizza for supper, then realized the recipe I had in mind was for sloppy joes not a pizza.  Oops.  I'd already started pizza dough...Well pizza dough is no different than any other recipe for bread.  They are all pretty much the same.  Flour, water, salt, yeast, oil.  I decided to just let the pizza dough rise once it was well kneaded, then I knocked it down, kneaded it lightly and let it rise again.  After the second rise, I formed it into 8 balls and made my buns.  Then I let those rise again before baking.  These were wonderfully tender and so very good with our supper tonight.


Katie had shared a recipe with me that she'd found which I'd saved.  It sounded good, used basic pantry items, things I almost always have on hand.  This was absolutely delicious.  I've posted it on my recipe blog, Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes.  

While the oven was running today anyway, I batch cooked what I could.  Squash casserole, corn dogs for our lunch, peach cobbler.  That cobbler used some peaches that were from last year.  Not at their best but the cobbler turned out fine.  

He didn't mention it until late this afternoon, but John has set me the task of finding out what we need to do to legally arrange our property and house into both our names.  For the past 25 years, we have been separate owners of the two.  This was due to an error on the clerk's part in setting up our home loan and purposeful on the part of the person who had the land deed written.  If it's all joint owned, we can qualify for a tax discount.  I'll have to call on Tuesday to see what we need to do.

Saturday:  I've been thinking for the past week about our financial life.  We've been spending more this year for obvious reasons.  We've been buying things to renovate the kitchen and bath, have extra people living in the household, etc.  But we've also taken advantage of having had a bit extra to get some long pushed off purchases.  

That's fine, really it is, but we need to cut back.  Some costs have increased, like groceries and insurance fees, and we know that come the first of next year we'll have some new expenses that can't be avoided.  I'd like to try and swing the seesaw back in our favor for a bit.  To that purpose, I'm going to be going over expenses and determining what we can cut without any notice at all, and then see how we're sitting.

What we won't be cutting out: Saturday dinner dates.  We really enjoy these dates, and we don't want to give them up.  They do cost more than we've ever spent, even when we're being careful, because cost of food is up everywhere not just in the grocery store.  I've got a sort of idea of how to manage this better, aside from just setting a monthly budget for it.  That's one area where we cut back and not really notice it at the same time.

I won't be sharing my lists with you all.  You've got your own ideas of how to cut back in your households, I'm sure, and they are as unique as we all are.

At the same time, there are still a few things we need, and I want to make lists of those things and shop around until I find exactly what we want at the best possible price.  With a list I'm not just randomly looking at something and being swayed to purchase it.  I want to know exactly what we need and look specifically for those items.

Today's lunch was super delicious.  We did what we generally do there and brought half home.   Katie and the kids spent the whole day away from home, and the children just wanted cereal for supper.  John and I ate our leftovers.

Went into Dollar Tree while we nearby and bought myself four pairs of reading glasses.  I've broken all but one pair.  I increased the strength because I'm so tired of trying to make out fuzzy words, lol when reading in bed.  I can't beat $1.25 a pair for reading glasses.

Sunday:  After church we went to Kroger.  I was determined to add two more pounds of butter to my freezer.  Do I need butter?  Not really.  I have a good supply, but it was on sale for $1.99 and I had two coupons for something like 65c off which were expiring and made the cost $1.24 a pound and who could sneer at that?  I picked up mostly loss leaders.  

We will not discuss the pricey bottle of organic Green Goddess dressing, something Katie and I had both been wanting and unable to locate in any brand of any sort.  I told Katie when I showed it to her, "We'll make this a one-time splurge.  Call it an end of summer celebration."  

Also at the grocery: Picked up a Maple Brown Sugar Apple Pie for John from the bakery clearance rack.  Got my absolute favorite Campari tomatoes (loss leader this week), corn, cheese, 18ct eggs, bacon, hot dogs, sausage, bread, blueberry yogurt for Caleb (we've now switched him successfully to regular yogurt!  He's had absolutely no issues with that or cheese now that he's gotten older, but we're being a lot more cautious with milk itself).  Lactose free milk with a Best Customer coupon was 65c less, Katie's coffee creamer and my half and half.  That's what we bought.  

One surprise purchase was romaine hearts.  It's hit or miss anymore if I can even find them and when I do it's usually a three pack for something like $5.  I found a 6-pack for just $6.99.  I used to buy those at Sam's back when we had family living at home.  I figured with us routinely eating salad, it would be a good purchase.   

I made myself a salad tonight.  With that expensive Green Goddess dressing.  As I was making my salad, Katie read off the ingredients and I said, "Are you kidding me?  I could've made this at home!" lol.  It is good...but it's not what I remember Green Goddess tasting like.  I'm going to see if any of my older cookbooks actually has a recipe for it.

Monday:  We had our traditional holiday meal for breakfast: Orange Danish and baby sausages.  Fortunately, these were both on sale and I had a rebate from Ibotta on the Danish.

Everyone had their own plans today.  Katie and Caleb are visiting with a friend.  John wanted to mow grass, vacuumed and did laundry.  He said he wanted to Labor for his Labor Day.  I told him I'd decline, lol.  So, I went off to visit Mama.

Mama treated me to lunch, and we stopped afterwards to have a peach ice cream at a farmer's market, the only one I've had this summer season.

After I took Mama back home, I treated myself to an iced coffee (paid with from my allowance) and then drove up to Lowe's to purchase some of the mums that were on sale. I also bought two asters and two rescue mums that need to be cut back, watered and fertilized.  There were no snapdragons, or flowering kale, etc.  I'll just make out with the mums for fall color until other plants come on the market.

John wanted a little something sweet and I suggested again that we finish off that peach cobbler.  Well doggone it, the thing spoiled!  I threw that in the trash and opened the Maple Brown Sugar Apple Pie that he thought looked so good at the grocery.

Tuesday:  I stopped at the local bank on my way home from the chiropractor.  I was telling Maxine earlier today that my sole purpose in doing that was to avoid going to the grocery...and it worked!   You see the money for our vacation was set aside in the local bank and I ran in to get those funds out so I could pay off the credit card.   There's nothing quite like taking money from a savings account to sort of nudge you into NOT going into the local grocery store 'to just see' what they have on sale, even if you know that money was already purposed for that very payment.

I came home and dug about in the freezer to find lunch items that Sam gave us in summer.  We had hamburgers, chips, and grapes.  

When I came in from being out, I found packages on the back porch.  I received my jeans from Cato.  The black pair are sparkly.  I do NOT want sparkly jeans!  So those will be sent back.  My hope of adding black jeans to my wardrobe this year are settled at the moment.  I feel I've entirely enough pants jeans on hand and I do have some knit black pants if I really want to wear black.  I'll let those be sufficient for my needs this year.

Supper tonight will be leftover meatloaf with a new round of sides.  

Wednesday:  Katie wins...She came home last night and said, "There's a playhouse and a bike down at the dumpsters."  "Why didn't you bring them home?"  "I wanted to be sure it would be okay first."  

Off she went after supper and back she came with the cutest little Step 1 playhouse complete with a flagpole holder.  We set it up on the crowded patio.  I told Katie once that big old table is gone things will fit a lot better out there.  

The bike needs a new seat and new tires but it's about the perfect size for Caleb right now.  I'll see if Sam still has a pair of the boys training wheels on hand.  

Last night I sat down with my seeds and sorted out what I could easily plant right now per package directions.  Zucchini, green beans, garlic, garden peas, carrots, lettuce mix, parsley and cilantro.  I could also get a few collards and set those out. If I had the seeds, I could also plant parsnips which I like quite well.  I know we can plant radishes, beets, spinach, and turnips, too.  Now to get my pots and beds cleared and filled with soil and get to work planting!

I continued to troll on Pinterest and found some pretty ideas for accessorizing that consisted of wearing brooches on sweaters or jackets, and layering necklaces.  I'm getting more and more excited over my own wardrobe all over again.  Shame I forgot to do this the past year!

Used up grits and mashed potatoes today that were among the gathered fragments.  I served the potatoes to John for lunch. No, I didn't!  I opened the microwave this evening and there they were still.  I tossed them after all.  Fortunately, it was only about 1/4 cup.  The grits were mixed with a little milk and reheated and served at breakfast.

Caleb and I went out this morning.  I harvested seeds from the Sweet William and pulled out the dead plant.  I walked around back and found one Hibiscus dead as well as a small Hydrangea.  They just didn't hold up to the heat at all.  I transplanted a Cypress vine that volunteered under the rosemary.  I cleared away the dead plants and transplanted an Avocado that took root in the compost.  

Frankly that and watering the plants at the back just about did me in today.  It didn't feel so very hot out there, but I was wringing wet with sweat.  

I came indoors and made myself homemade electrolyte water with a pinch of salt and lemon wedges.  That helped a little bit.

I planned Chicken Pot Pie for our meal tonight.  When Katie contacted me to say she'd be home much later than usual, I swapped the proposed side dish for a can of turnip greens.  I have been longing for a good mess of greens and while I can't say these were the best, they were tasty enough.  That's a fall crop I look forward to getting, collards!  I like to make a big batch in the slow cooker (outdoors, never in the house) then portion them up for John and I and put them in the freezer.

The apple pie is in the trash.  The maple flavoring used was so overpowering a smell that John said it sickened him to just smell anything it touched.  I was in full agreement.  I hate tossing food but I'm not a glutton for punishment in insisting we eat food that is totally disagreeable to us.  Mildly disagreeable we might pull up our adult pants and just finish it off, but this was truly unpleasant.

Thursday:  I put canned biscuits and sliced bulk sausage roll into the oven to cook all at once.  The sausage didn't brown but they definitely were cooked through.  Sam had run in with Millie, so I made him a sausage biscuit to go.  I put one in the fridge for anyone to eat later this week.  

The two children went outdoors and were absolutely thrilled together to play in the playhouse.  It kept them happily occupied for quite a little while.  Fortunately, the morning was breezy and comfortable.

I found a partial package of luncheon meat in the freezer earlier this week and took it out to thaw in the fridge.  I made sandwiches for our lunches.  I split a sandwich between the two littles who never seem to eat much when they are together.  We were out of juice, except for juice boxes, so I mixed up some kool-aid for the children to drink with their lunch.   John and I polished off the Waldorf Salad as a side to our sandwiches.

I made marinara from scratch today using canned tomatoes that I bought on clearance over a year ago.  I'll have enough for supper tonight (Spaghetti and Meatballs, Broccoli, Garlic Bread) and enough sauce to put in the freezer for another day.

On impulse, I joined a new subscription service...and then I remembered my resolve to make do with what I have on hand through fall.  I cancelled that new service this morning.   It was pure impulse and I know too well that it goes against the promise I made myself to cut back.

That was our week...How did your frugal week go?

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hello, I’m so glad your grands have a playhouse. We were given a playhouse when Gavin and E were toddlers. It was enjoyed by all the original 8 grands.
I was thinking that maple apple pie sounded good and I’m sorry it wasn’t. I did get some maple almonds on a Kroger sale and they are mild and delicious
If you were going to Branson, those sparkly black jeans would be perfect. Sparkles and fringe and boots are the norm there

About seeds, I recommend green beans, especially a bush variety. Hope whatever you plant grows and thrives

Tammy said...

Hello sweet friend!
These past couple of weeks I have done well eating out of the freezers and pantry. Mostly freezers. Mostly leftovers. Greg usually just puts up with my freezer/pantry challenges, but this time has even been complimentary.
Our weather has cooled this week so that I can say early Autumn has begun. It's chilly in the early morning hours when Greg leaves for work, then almost hot by mid-afternoon. Trees have started losing leaves - just a few. Today I watched a squirrel peel and chew on a black walnut from the neighbor's tree.
I love how you help Caleb notice the natural "wildlife" around the yard when you're outside. I did the same when my grands were little. We always had crickets and grasshoppers, and we'd collect locust shells from the tree bark. I didn't see a praying mantis until I was an adult, and now we have plenty of those. Not so many locust shells anymore.
Many years ago when my back yard was like my own "secret" garden, as I sat for a short break, I saw a toad that was sitting on the garden hose strung across the area. I just happened to look at the exact moment it's sticky tongue darted out and snatched a fly. I was so thrilled to have witnessed this firsthand.
Yesterday I hung up the hummingbird feeders outside the kitchen window. I haven't seen one yet, but they're migrating through our area, so fingers are crossed to see some. Hummingbirds are one of my favorites. The first time I saw one of those was when I was sitting on the back steps, wearing a purplish shirt. I was just enjoying the backyard sounds and cool breeze, and the a hummingbird appeared right in front of my face. I froze as it darted around, figured out I wasn't a purple flower, and flew away. This, too, was many years ago, but one of my favorite gardening memories.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

mikemax said...

This month I have challenged myself to save $125 month or $500 by the end of 2023. I'm not looking for theoretical savings, but money I can actually put "in my pocket."

Since Sept. 1, I have spent $93.98 on groceries including quite a bit of meat, 5 lbs. of butter and 4 lbs. of Tillamook cheese. If the groceries for the month come in under my $300 budget, I will claim the difference for the challenge.

The challenge is at $111.78 in my pocket so far this month, which completely amazes me. This has been accomplished by $7.50 in coupons, canceling a streaming subscription @ $6.99, an insurance benefit of $33.98 in free OTC products, and $63.61 saved by rebooking existing rental car and hotel reservations through the AAA travel agency. Terri, when I canceled that streaming subscription, I felt exactly the same as you--it was pure impulse and went against what I was trying to accomplish. I haven't missed it, either.

One thing I have decided is that I'm not going to buy any sweets for the rest of 2023. If we want cookies, cakes, pies, cobblers, etc., I'm making them myself. So far I've made a zucchini snack cake with last year's frozen zucchini, two peach crisps and a plum cobbler from last year's canned plums. I've got half a dozen cake mixes and plenty of scratch ingredients to last the rest of the year.

The challenge started when I re-sent my daughter-in-law an email from a few years ago. It was from a time when there were a lot of $1,000 challenges. This is one I liked: https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/save-1000-in-30-days-challenge/ This guy says he can save you $1,000 A MONTH, but we already use most of his ideas...so saving $1,000 month is not likely. He also says he won't waste our time with stupid frugality tricks, but a lot of frugal tricks aren't stupid, or time-consuming, and actually produce a higher quality of life. So I'm doing this one MY WAY with frugal tricks. LOLOLOLOL
--mikemax, aka Maxine

Karla said...

I've done pretty well this past week with the bare minimum from the grocery. I made sourdough pancakes again last week for breakfast one day. Oh my now that I have an active and lovely sourdough starter (his name is Fernandough, because there was something in the air that night), I'm convinced no other pancakes will ever compare to these. I tried a batch of English muffins this past week but it didn't go great. I mean they were edible but I definitely want to improve that. I'm going to make some homemade hamburger buns this weekend so we can use them for your Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe recipe. Can't wait for that. Looking forward to this weekend. I have more pep in my step lately and plan on working on more decluttering. And I need to read my book for Monday night's book club (we are reading This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger).

terricheney said...

Rhonda, LOL You and Lana will have me out dancing around in those sparkly jeans! NOT! I love to be dressed up but I don't like anything flashy.

The play house was a huge hit with Millie yesterday and she told Caweb 'and you got my favwit colors!' They had a good time. I expect it will continue to be fun for quite a little while and then it will go back to the dump where possibly yet another will rescue it. I have a little slide that needs to go there now that he's outgrown.

The dump is our un-official trading post. If something is no longer wanted but deemed nice and worth passing on, it's set off to one side and is up for claims. The other night someone had set out what looked like a brand-new tabletop oscillating fan and a picture. The picture was gone when we came back by a half hour later.

Lana, A few years ago, Bess's great grandmother arrived for Josh's 2nd birthday part and she was dressed in jeans and a classic white shirt, as was the woman who made the trip with her, both of them in their 80's. The arrived in a sporty convertible. They were from Jacksonville. Mama was so impressed she told them she wanted to be cool grandma's like them, lol.

I think those two ladies are far more my style (though I'm less keen on the low riding convertible but in Jan's favor she was a shorty and could handle it better than I).

In February or March, I become eligible for Medicare and that means supplement insurance plus the Part B dividend so a lower income for me, hence the need to trim and plan a bit. I know you will navigate your husband's 'retirement' so to speak quite well but it's daunting all the same, isn't it?

Tammy, I should probably clean and fill our hummingbird feeders. John had told me that the feeders could be filled with plain water, but not according to the few hummers we had hanging about! They want that nectar or it isn't worth the visit.

I was blessed with grandparents who showed me the natural world about me, and Grandaddy C always took backroads and told me history of places about us as we drove, so you can see I took a great deal from my grandparents! I hope my grandkids will, too.

Karla, You are too funny with Fernandough! Sam just started sour dough too and was experimenting with a pumpernickel loaf.

Maxine, how awesome! You're doing really well with the challenge. I set aside $80 that was 'extra' in my purse this week. Since I unsubbed from the new subscription service, I ought to put aside another $15 that I would have 'spent' but didn't.

Lana said...

I love the great grandma story! My late MIL wore jeans and button down oxford cloth shirts daily and she was that kind of Southern Grandma, too. She was a tiny 96 pounds so she could carry that look better than most.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue