The New Kitchen



I wanted to show before photos of the kitchen, and they are here on the blog in various posts and shots but the one shot I kept coming going back to was one of my favorite photos in all its imperfections.  The morning sun shining was on my baking center counter.  That little length of counter no longer exists.  So, I'm sharing it mostly because it is gone, and I really loved this photo.  What I have in this space now is what I call the food wall, which you will see further below.  

While the bathroom is completely finished, the kitchen is not quite there.  We've been doing this room in stages for the past five years or so and the walls will be our last step.  So, the walls you see here are the original finish to the house when we bought it.  I have ordered some paint samples to place on the walls and see how I like them.  I know what I want.  It's not gray, not green, not blue but somehow combines all three colors into one.  Will I find it?  I don't know. I might end up compromising.


I found some paint samples I'd gathered over the years past.  The grays were too mauve or too brown to suit me and I realized yet again that I really don't think I want gray.  But we'll see...I might well determine that gray is the very thing as I look and try this and that.

The basic floor plan of the room is the exact floor plan we've always had.  The stove was moved  an inch and a half to the left.  We extended one length of counter, and then we added a whole additional unit and counter on the longest wall, but the basic footprint is as it was.  No plumbing or gas lines were moved, no electrical outlets added or removed. 

You can click on any picture and open the photo in a new tab and enlarge to see it better.  I didn't want to eat up the posts with overly large images.

Looking from the living space doorway into the kitchen.  You can see that the cabinets/counter now go all the way to the large windows on that wall.  We also extended the cabinet on this entry wall by four inches, so it now reaches the doorway.  In all, between the two extensions we gained as much counterspace as we'd given up in removing the counter on the baking center wall. 


The new vent hood is smaller than the old one and makes the stove area feel so much lighter and brighter.  The only upper cabinet in the whole kitchen is there above that vent and that is solely to hide the vent pipe.  Yes, I did want a custom hood cover but that proved to be costly.  The cabinet was cheaper.  There is a tiny space that I could use if I wanted to but the venting really does take up the bulk of it.

This cabinet to the right of the stove is not only larger, but two other things made a HUGE difference, and they are things you'll never see.  For one thing, there was a bulky block of wood behind the stove that they'd mounted the old electrical outlet upon.  I don't need an electrical outlet for my current gas stove.  And if I do need on in future, there is a wall plug behind the stove as well.  They removed that block of wood and pulled that big 220V plug and that meant the stove could slide back into its proper position, so it no longer pokes out in the room and subsequently blocks usage of the cabinet door nearest it.

The dead space that must exist because of the original arrangement of cabinetry, where the microwave and toaster oven sit, has been completely closed off.  I will never again lose things in a space that no one but a very small child could get into and retrieve items.  

The tiny cupboard between the stove and dishwasher is also new.  That was just wasted space in the past, an empty area hidden behind a piece of wood.  The contractor saw this space and added in the cabinet in his plans.  It is where I have my baking sheets and cutting boards.  I had John remove two tiny shelves in the upper portion of that cabinet that I cannot imagine ever using.  They prevented my putting bigger baking sheets in the cabinet. 



Looking at the kitchen from the Kitchen Sitting.  That stretch of counter is just so beautiful to me! Currently I'm keeping Katie's mixer there as well as my own but eventually I'll turn this whole end cabinet into my baking center.  

I have five drawers to use as storage space now, too.  Two of them are extra deep and that is where I have stored my casseroles, frying pans and saucepans.  That was an unexpected bonus.  In seeing the plan, I somehow didn't grasp the full measurement of the drawers and was thinking they were smaller.  


We chose to get a second island and put the two side by side here on the wall where we formerly had the first island and freezer.  John has since had mild regret that we didn't get a built-in cabinet to go on this wall.  I'm less concerned about it.  Practically speaking, I can move these two pieces if needed and I can create one huge island if they are pushed back-to-back.  


This is the area I call my 'food wall'.  The big pantry cabinet here on the right and the one near the kitchen doorway are deep pantry cabinets.  Initially I'd thought I'd clear shelves from the smaller cabinet's bottom portion and use that for trash and brooms and such.  Once I saw the space, I suddenly imagined my entire pantry being moved from the guest bedroom closet into the kitchen.  No, it didn't quite all fit but most of it did.  That upright freezer looked gigantic on its own, but the two pantries made it look a little less tall.  The fridge moved down a few inches and the second pantry cabinet sit in a bit of space that was un-utilized.  John's gun cabinet had always been in that spot, but we've moved that.

I didn't style the kitchen in any way for these photos.  I am just showing it as it was about one week in, while I am getting settled into the new space.  I do have plans to decorate but I wanted to live with the space a little while first and let it speak to me.    

My former decor which I loved for its vintage vibe doesn't fit this space as it is now.  I've already donated most of the items I've had here.  I have a few ideas which will incorporate some of my former things updated in one way or another, but I'm really waiting to determine wall color before I go full ahead with decor.  

As a hint of the direction, I think it's going, here is the newly re-furnished kitchen sitting space.  It's a sort of an English country cottage look, I think.


The kitchen was all finished and we'd gone to bed one night when I sat up and told John I'd just 'seen' my kitchen sitting space. I told him exactly how it was going to look.  I had every piece on hand.  The table was the one I purchased about two months ago at the local estate sale.  The chairs were some that Bess's mom no longer wanted after one of her moves.  I don't know how old they are but the moment I saw them I was so pleased Bess had thought to bring them to me.  I just love their simple style and the color of the wood.  After two years of wear and tear from the children here, the seats look pretty bad. I plan to pad and recover those.  

I think this little space is just perfect.  Eventually I'll probably replace the birdcage with a lamp.  It would be nice to have a light here for those nights when we're out after dark, or for morning reading when it's cloudy outdoors.

I can tell you that we absolutely loved the new kitchen and haven't ceased saying how much we like it every time we walk into the space.  We both are still lost when it comes to finding things.  I'm still searching for a couple of items I put away and I have yet to see them anywhere in the cabinets...But the important things can generally be found easily enough.

Here's where I'd planned to put the links, but I realized as I looked through old photos that I never showed the previous kitchen as a whole thing.  There are shots of wall decor, a section of counter might appear in shots of foods I'd shared.  When we put in the new flooring and I got a new rug, I posted a shot of the floor.  If I redid a wall of decor then I showed a bit of that but not of the kitchen as a whole.  I'm sorry that you'll have nothing to compare it too but truly little changed beyond quality of items put into the place and the Food wall, which was as major a renovation as there was.  So, we'll just have to make do with the photos of the kitchen as it is now.  


20 comments:

Lana said...

That looks great and I am glad you got the big drawers. That is something I have always wanted here. The sitting area is wonderful! I would love to sit there and enjoy a cup of coffee with you! We have that huge type of freezer too and our adult kids have started calling it "The Beast".

Cindi Myers said...

It's beautiful. All that white and space. I'm sure you will love working in it.

Rhonda said...

Terri, I am so happy for you! It looks wonderful.
Nina’s new kitchen has those big drawers and I know you’ll enjoy them as much as she does.
Your food wall❤️ you certainly need that and will put it to good use.
I’m amazed how much counter space you have.
Would you believe I’ve done a few changes in our breakfast room and just ordered your exact island? It will be delivered tomorrow.

The mysterious thing to me is you have and use 2 Kitchenaid mixers?

Rhonda said...

Never mind about the 2 mixers. I was so busy enlarging and looking at your photos, I didn’t read all your text my first time

Sue said...

Your old baking counter photo is so sweet! Perhaps you'll want to print and frame it for your decorating phase?

Your kitchen is HUUUUUUUGE! And so bright and beautiful! I would feel so inspired in it. Nice big expanses of countertops. And I love your wall with the two movable islands. The versatility of that setup just can't be beat. Your little seating area looks just perfect for a cup of tea and conversation.

Enjoy that new lovely space! You must smile every morning you walk into it...

terricheney said...

Lana, that freezer is supposed to be 72 inches tall but it's taller than that! I had to put the picnic basket back on the fridge because next to what John calls 'the towers' and the freezer it looks like a plump short lady with a lot of tall men and boys about her, lol.

The two chairs will be more comfortable when I get the seats repadded. They are awfully hard right now.

And the drawers are the BOMB. I highly recommend them for pots and dishes both.

Cindi M., What originally attracted me to this house was the light bright kitchen and I was determined to keep that. I've never ever regretted all the white!

Karla, the contractor who worked with us told me I could put up thin wall board and paint that. He said that every time he'd ever painted the walls the pattern showed through the paint. Having already painted our bathroom twice, I knew better.

I highly recommend using Zinsser Primer first, then at least two coats of your paint of choice.

The same contractor did put up the wallboard (just a thin wooden sheet of paneling really without grooves) in the closet area, but I'm telling you I found it totally unnecessary. Mind you the bathroom is the only room we've painted to date, but I plan to change that fact.

Rhonda, the counterspace is awesome. It's amazing how much that added 28 inches at the end just expanded the space so much. And of course, with the two islands, I've that much more I can utilize.

Sue that is indeed one of my favorite photos and probably always will be. I'll miss having that early morning sun shining on that counter, but all in all the new space is lovely to work in as well. I am super fond of the light bright look in the room, always have been. When we first moved in a friend came by and said "Oh! How will you ever keep it looking clean?" I told her, I just wipe down the cabinets when I spill something and then go over them once a week. In the old kitchen long before we had the current flooring I also had white linoleum.

Thank you all!

Mable said...

Gorgeous!

obscure said...

Oh it looks so lovely! Big and bright. Enjoy it. I redid my kitchen 3 years ago (just cosmetic, didn't change footprint either, and I replaced my cabinet doors but kept the boxes, as the previous owner had them custom made but I never liked the finish. I still love it every time I walk in - I hope you will too

mikemax said...

Another Good Job, Terri! I am sure you are just lovin' it.

Donna said...

Your new kitchen looks fabulous! Clever to block off that no man's land in the cabinet. No more asking Caleb to dig out something for you. ha! Deep drawers to store pans and casserole dishes...sigh...such a good idea. A lamp would be perfect in your sitting area. Once you select a paint color, new chair fabric to coordinate will just finish it off. I especially love how light and bright it is.

Wendi said...

Love it! It seems you have a large amount of counter space and I am jealous that you had room for your upright freezer. That would be awesome!

Tammy said...

It's amazing! I just love how light and open it is. I love the drawers and all the counter space. (Sometimes I dream that I have literally a mile-long counter to work on. Lol.)
Will you use your little sitting area for meals? I watched a video yesterday where they said in-kitchen dining is a common addition to kitchen renovations now.
Congratulations! ♥

Chef Owings said...

if you have something ,even fabric of the color you are wanting, most paint stores can make that color now days.

Linda said...

I love how white and light it all looks.

ranchwife3 said...

Your kitchen looks lovely, so light and airy. The new bathroom is also lovely! Enjoy!

terricheney said...

Thank you all!

Donna, I am already on the hunt for a lamp. I have found I have extremely good (aka pricey) tastes in lamps! Which is why I tend to lean hard on what I can find in thrift or antique stores.

Wendi, I planned that freezer IN. Formerly we had about 10 or 15 inches of kitchen floor space that had no cabinetry, on it. I figured if we used that, even adding in the second pantry cabinet would mean I had enough room for the freezer.
John asked how his gun cabinet could go back when the new kitchen was all set up and I told him quietly, "It's not..." He looked a bit stunned but I showed him the wall spaces where it might go in the living room or entry and he was fine with that.

Tammy, years ago we had a full sized dining table and chairs in that space and crammed ourselves in. The DISadvantage to that space has always been that it is COLD. Even in summer afternoons it's the coolest place in the house. In winter, no matter how hot food and plates were if we said a longer than usual prayer over our meal it was frigid on the plates.

I do think it makes a lovely spot still to do my Bible study and have coffee and sometimes we might have a snack there.

And yes, eat in kitchens, as well as more closed off rooms/less wide open spaces in a house are all making a big comeback.

Juls, I'll keep the fabric tip in mind. I haven't looked to see if I could find any fabric the color I imagine in my head.

Deanna said...

It looks great! You're going to have so much fun decorating it and I can't wait to see what you do. Have you thought of using the same wall color as the new bathroom? It's so pretty and you'd only need one color for touch up paint.

We have a corner cabinet design that is pretty ingenious. Our local cabinet company designed it. I don't know that I can describe it well enough for you to picture it. Essentially, there are two shelves with curved fronts attached to the cabinet door. When you open it all the way, you can then pull out another section with two shelves that swings back into the open area. I keep some large, bulky items that I don't use frequently here. However, at the moment, I don't have access to them because something fell off and I can't open the cabinet door more than a few inches. I haven't attempted to remedy the situation but I think that sounds like a good project for David - ha!

I designed my own kitchen and there are only a couple of things I would have done differently. There is another one of those "black holes" in another cabinet. There is a bar height counter on the back side and all I would have had to do is have a cabinet door under the bar to access it more easily. I can't imagine why I didn't think of that. The other thing I wish I had done were more pull-out drawers in the bottom cabinets like I've got in the pantry. But they are costly so I didn't.

For those of us who spend a lot of time in our kitchens it is so important to have a space that works for us and that we enjoy, too. I'm so glad you have that now!

Carol in NC said...

I love it! So fresh and spacious. I think you're doing the right thing in "living with things" for a time in order to choose the style and colors you like most. I'm totally enamored with the sitting space!

Casey said...

Very fresh and open looking! As I was looking at the “food wall” it occurred to me that with the two end cabinets at the same height, you could get a length of shelving and span the two cupboards to give you some options for storage above the cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer. I’m sure baskets would tidy it and nothing could be two heavy, although with braces on the wall, a shelf would be stable.

Can’t help myself when it comes to giving advice. But, no one has to take it! LOL.

terricheney said...

Linda, I love it for that, too. Thank you!

Ranchwife3, Thank you. I'm so happy with them both!

Deanna, aside from not having a paint swatch to match that paint too, John did ask me NOT to use the same blue, though he likes it very well in the bathroom. Yes, the kitchen is my domain, but I do try to compromise with him. He actually has pretty good taste in decor himself though he leans to a far more formal traditional than I do.

I couldn't agree more with having a kitchen that works well for those of us who generally cook at home and enjoy it. I knew the old footprint of the kitchen worked well and what didn't after 27 years so I felt sure of my choices in the remodel.

I have seen cabinets such as you describe. My son has a lazy Susan type cabinet in his corner both upper and lower but truly would not work in mine, as I didn't have the space unless we completely removed the stove and placed it elsewhere. I'd promised John that I'd not do such as that just to keep costs lower.

Casey, I did think of that. At which point my husband reminded me that (a) I couldn't reach that shelf and (b) I always lamented that I couldn't get to the top to keep it clean anyway, lol. He's quite right. But you do give me an idea about using baskets atop the fridge to even out the height a little and adding storage.

The picnic basket I have there is mostly sentimental though I do keep picnic supplies in it, but that could be stored elsewhere. In fact, I'd been thinking of removing it anyway because I don't think it 'fits' with this kitchen's look, at least the vague idea of what it is meant to look like in my mind.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue