This Week In My Home: Ambition Meets Inspiration


For all my meal planning last week we only ate about two meals off that menu.  Well not this week!  We've been kind of casual about spending lately, with the attitude that if it's good for me I should just go ahead and buy it.  I'm not saying that's the wrong idea.  If it's good for me I should be buying it...but budgets are necessary and it's time to whip myself back into shape on that score.  Our balance dropped a little and it's mostly due to the healthy but not quite necessary little trips to the grocery mid-pay period.  I did a little better last pay period by purchasing more long lasting and less delicate vegetables, as well as extra bread.  What I didn't do was work ahead well enough to offset take out meal because I was already hungry and late eating and looking at an hour or more before a meal.  Friday I considered the weekend ahead and did indeed get to work and prep foods for the weekend. Big help. To budget and my own schedule. I'll try to keep up with that plan from here on out.

Another fail on my part: I didn't take along a picnic meal when we went out of town on a fun day...and then I didn't prepare myself very well when I was out running errands the next day and heat and long hours overtook me.  I was in no danger either of those days but healthy options that were affordable didn't go hand in hand.  I can prepare better for these days too and I mean to do just that from now on.

I'm feeling awfully ambitious lately.  As in I'm considering all sorts of outdoor tasks as a real possibility as well as multiple projects indoors.  So I might just be back on track physically at the moment and I'm finding the need to rest is no more than absolutely normal.   Oh it feels good to be ambitious once more and that's also got me feeling a little inspired...Good things will come of this, I feel sure!



Whole Wheat Waffles (frozen), Turkey Sausage Patties, Banana, Milk
Italian Roasted Chicken with Vegetables, Baked Peaches
no planned snack
Sausage Dogs, oven Fries,  Cherries, Milk
I never did make up the waffles I meant to and freeze them. I'll be working on my own convenience foods over the next few weeks and try to have a small stock pile of easier meals on hand.

I used my favorite roasted vegetable recipe and topped it with Chicken Breasts.  I used plum tomatoes, red onion, orange and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, baby portabella mushrooms and some cauliflower chunks.  I seasoned it with olive oil and garlic and oregano and splashed Balsamic vinegar over it.  The breasts were bone in and I sprinkled them with salt and pepper and a Mrs. Dash product Mama introduced me to a couple years ago, Garlic and Herb.  This all baked in the one pan and it was delicious.

The Baked Peaches were a sort of desperation thing.  The peaches I bought on Thursday were a little underripe yet on Saturday.  I pared and pitted and baked the halves in a dish in the same oven the chicken/vegetables roasted in.  I did sprinkle them with a tiny bit of sugar (as in about 1 tsp for all four peach halves)...next time perhaps I'll add a little vanilla or lemon flavoring.  The baking softened the peaches, made them sugary sweet (as baking will do for any fruit) and I served them simply with a dollop of whipped cream.  Quite delicious

Peanut butter toast with peach or banana slices(me)/Bagel with Cream Cheese and fruit (John)
Crackers with peanut butter and cold water (snack for after church)
Sloppy Joes on whole grain bread, Coleslaw, Ice cream cups
Smoked Apple Chicken sandwiches, Peach, Milk
I prepped the vegetables (I always add extras) for the Sloppy Joes on Friday.  I only had to brown the meat and simmer this morning before leaving home, then reheated when we came in.  I knew we had to go pick up my prescriptions after church so planned accordingly with a snack.  The ice cream cups are to be an occasional treat, purchased in those individual cups to insure portion control.


Eggs, Grits, Toast 
Raisins and Almonds
Spaghetti with Whole Grain Pasta, Salad, Orange Segments with Banana Slices
Cheese Sandwich, Apples, Grahams
Another day planned ahead.  I have a doctor's appointment and having dinner ready prepared for when we come home will be a huge bonus...as will having the healthy snack along to fill the gap between appointment and returning home. I chopped the vegetables on Friday.  I'll make the sauce in the crockpot. The salad is prepared ahead and all I'll really need do is boil spaghetti.

Eggs and Toast for John, likely Toast with cream cheese and fruit for myself
Taco Salad, Mixed Berries
Tomato Soup, Cheese and Crackers, Cherries, Milk
I'm on my own this day.  I plan to be running errands and paying bills etc, but I think I'll be sticking closer to home.  If I do determine I'm going out I'll pack my salad lunch up and take it with me.

Peach Pancakes, Turkey Bacon, Eggs (for John)
Steak, Corn on Cob, Tossed Salad, Lemon Pudding with Blueberries
Egg Salad in Tomato Cups, Crackers, Fresh fruit cups
A bigger breakfast for John's end of work day.  I'm using stuff from the freezer for main meal of the day, except the salad and the pudding, of course.   I'll use some of eggs purchased last pay period to make egg salad for supper.    I think I'm going to price frozen and refrigerated egg products while I'm shopping this week. It won't make boiled eggs but I can certainly use them to replace eggs for breakfast meals if it proves an economical purchase.  Just a thought I had since prices are higher...

Bran Cereal with fruit and yogurt
Baked Chicken, Tomato Salad, Black eyed Peas
Chicken Sandwiches, Carrot Sticks, Milk, Peach
This will likely be my grocery day this week, but I'm not sure.  I've spent enough money I think, despite being out of a few items like carrots and celery and eggs.  I'm not sure how the day will pan out.  I'd love to leave home early prior to heat starting but that never ever seems to happen.  I know I need to plan a snack of some sort.

Omelet, Toast, Milk, Orange Half
Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans,  Green Salad
Tuna Apple Salad in Lettuce Cups, Toast Points, Milk, 
It is my hopes, at the end of this week to have leftover Chicken and leftover roast beef which will suffice for Sunday dinner and supper too, but we shall see. 

Jobs This Week

I want to finish off the inventory I started last week.  I only have a very few items to sort through and I'm done with that portion.

Make out a list of wants for pantry so I can watch for sales.

Bills and grocery shopping.

15 minutes yard work every morning.

Alter that laundry room curtain I made too short.

Get donation items together to take to drop off point.

Look up a few items on eBay and consider listing for sale there.

Routine housework.

Get front porch cleaned and ready for painting the rails.

Start painting.  It's hot.  It should dry quickly.

4 comments:

Crystal H. in Nevada said...

I found you about 6 weeks ago and have been reading your back posts as well as the new ones when they come out. It's very soothing to read about your days. You feel like a friend I visit every day - lol. I have to limit myself to only reading 2-3 back posts a day or I'd sit here all day and not get anything done. I have been at home the last 16 1/2 years and love it all though it can get lonely at times. I worked in hospitals and Dr.'s offices most of my not at home work life. I always felt the most comfortable at home. Got back into canning this last year but just the lovely things I can't get for a good price or to taste the way I want them to like Dilly Beans, Pickled Asparagus, and Chili Sauce. All stuff grandma used to make. Yum. I went through a few years as a young mother canning, cleaning, raising kids, baking bread and cooking from scratch. This was the time I was most content in life even though I was married to a not so nice man then. So it looks like I'm coming full circle again. :) Keep up the posts - you do have a ministry here. Helping women connect while keeping the home fires burning and taking pride in our homes. And also helping us realize we can save by doing this and still live a good life. I was blessed to have a frugal mom who loved to travel so I want to do that too in retirement- even if it's just exploring the next town or state. Take care and see you next post.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear you are back to normal and doing well, with energy and ready to tackle some projects!

This month my grocery bill will be almost non existent as I'm running a chuck wagon, so to speak, for harvesters and our garden is starting to produce. Picking lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli, chard, beets, and green beans tomorrow. I could rob some new potatoes but don't need them just yet. Gardening is work, but the payoff is great. We have a big garden but have four people helping with it.

I'm on an organizing kick right now. My entryway is a pit. I'm going to put up some new shelves and reorganize others. I want to see a floor that is clear and bare! Smile. Pam

Karla said...

It sounds like you are getting right back into it but perhaps better than ever! You are an inspiration!

Lana said...

I am sometimes like yu about getting the food prepared and those weeks really bug me!

A thought about eggs from my nutrition training is that those egg products are made from only the whites which have almost no nutritional value. Whole eggs are a powerhouse of god omega threes and worth every penny even though their prices are higher. Omega threes are so important for brain function that I often eat them two times in one day when I start to feel that brain fog feeling.

Coffee Chat: Love and Marriage