Menu Monday - Haphazard Planning


I'm so grateful I took time out last week to plan and prep meals, because this cold knocked me for a loop...I had a few leftovers but put those in the freezer for future meals and still need to make the Chicken Enchilada   dish, but for the most part I managed quite well using what I had on hand already.  I confess that after making a big breakfast early this morning, I succumbed to the call of sniffles and coughs and asked John to go into town to buy chicken at the local diner.  I'll share that menu as today's.  The remainder of the meals will be planned using what we had on hand at the beginning of this month of the Pantry Freezer Challenge. 

How am I doing with the challenge?  I shared that I actually began the last week of December.  That money saved was spent the following week and inspired me to set a weekly limit for my budget year.  Two weeks ago I took out the same sum of cash and spent it stocking up on marked down meats to use at the end of this cycle.  Last week I went slightly over my budgeted amount.  I didn't plan on a funny noise in my car and so skipped the bank entirely.  Obviously I shouldn't spend without getting cash first!  My second fail this week:  was the necessity of stocking up on pet foods and Vitamins and over the counter items for this cold we both caught.  I still have two weeks of grocery money to use.  I don't expect to need anything this week, so fingers crossed this will be savings for the month since I've stocked up rather well for next month already.


Monday:  Fried Chicken, Fries, Coleslaw, Doughnuts
I paid for the chicken and fries from my allowance...Made the coleslaw at home, and took the doughnuts from the freezer to thaw.
Tuesday:  Chicken Enchiladas, Corn, Green Salad, Tangelos
Using the last chicken breast I cooked last week, mushrooms and cream of chicken soup, I'll fill corn tortillas and top with more soup and cheese and bake.  
Wednesday:  Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas with Mushrooms, Rolls
I will make Salisbury steak in the way that Mama used to, a well seasoned hamburger that is floured and browned and then cooked with pan gravy until done.  Mashed potatoes and rolls made from scratch.  Normally I'd be having dinner with Mama this day but with this cold and her surgery next month I want to avoid being around her.

Thursday:  Vegetable Soup, Corn Muffins
The planned menu from last week, made in a smaller portion for myself.  If I find I have a lot of leftovers I may try my pressure canner and put a couple of jars on the pantry shelf.  A little more "Harvest At Home".
Friday:  Breakfast casserole, Home Fries, Apple/Walnut Salad
I'll make up a batch of breakfast casserole today, but will use two dishes, one small and one larger to hold the mixture.  I'll have an individual dish for my meal today and put the other in the freezer for later.  Sliced apples and toasted walnuts tossed with greens will make my salad.

Saturday:  Whole Roasted Chicken, Red Cabbage Salad, Green Beans Almondine
I expect to get several meals from this chicken.  At least four...One for my meal today and sandwiches for John, Two: chicken salad, Three: Chicken Diable, Four: Chicken Noodle Soup.  The very best part of this meal is that it starts in the crock pot.
Sunday:  Quiche Lorraine, 24hour salad, Baked Apple
I love quiche and so seldom make it for myself.  I'll make a smaller one since John is not as fond of it as I am.  Any leftover pastry I have (I'll be making my own) will be used to make  homemade pop tarts with raspberry jam filling.

There we go, another week of meals using just what I had on hand January 1 (except the apples).  Pretty good.  I've done well I think. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a "Terri" moment this morning. While trying to fit one more thing in my side-by-side freezer, I noticed all my small containers marked as chili. So I took all of them out and they are thawing in my slow cooker. I always save the dibs and dabs left after we have chili (one of our family favorites in the winter. Anyway free meal, no prep and everyone will be happy at lunch. What a "Terri" moment!