Monkey Butter Muffins




I bought bananas last week and as usual we had leftovers, those few that turned freckly and sweet prior to our eating them all.  I snuck one into pancake batter earlier this week while John was home, but there were two left.  I was determined not to put them in the freezer, because I've got plenty of them in the freezer these days.

So this afternoon as I worked about the house, those bananas kept insinuating themselves into my day.  I'd walk by the counter and smell their ripeness, reminding me again and again that I needed to use them and soon.

I put them on the baking counter thinking I'd not pass that way too often, but there they were all the same.  Come supper time, I didn't want much of anything.  But there were the bananas.  I peeled them and mashed them and then began to dig about in the cabinet for other baking ingredients.  As I reached into my baking spices box, I found my hand upon the almost empty bottle of Butter Nut flavoring...And inspiration hit me hard.  Here's what I came up with.  These babies are wonderful!



Monkey Butter Muffins

2 bananas, mashed
1 egg
3 tbsps sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp butter nut flavoring
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk

Mix well.  Spoon into muffin tins.  (Mine made 9).  Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Glaze:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsps butter nut flavoring
2 tbsps milk
walnuts

Mix first 4 ingredients.  Spoon onto cooled muffins.  My glaze was a bit thicker than glaze, less so than frosting.  Top frosted muffins with finely chopped walnuts.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

never heard of monkey butter :)
I like the way you put the nuts on top of the frosting, very pretty and they sound delicious

Anonymous said...

What time shall all of us be there for coffee? :) Grandma D.