Weekly Meal Plan





I was just looking over the weather forecast for the week ahead. The day time temps are remaining in the 'sunny and mild' zones but the night time temps are starting to slide down the thermometer.  Thursday morning it's supposed to be in the high '40's...and yes, that gets me excited!  I love the cooler months.  We just may manage open windows every day next week and that's welcome too.

The fair is in Perry this week.  I don't know if we'll get to go or not.  Our week has filled up with obligations.  Even if we don't go I'll manage to bring a bit of the fair to our week.  You'll see.

Brunswick Stew, Rice, Coleslaw, Corn Muffins
Mama made the brunswick stew.  I thought I'd serve it over rice both as an extender and to tone down the tomato-y taste of the stew.



Salisbury Steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Greens Beans, Pear Salads
I made up burgers from part of my beef purchase this week.  Two of those will be dipped in flour and browned then cooked with a good homemade gravy.

BBQ Chicken, Cauliflower au gratin, Green Salad
I like to have a cheesy side dish when I serve BBQ chicken.  It just seems to go well together to me, but since we've already had potatoes I'll use some of the cauliflower we have on hand.

Black Bean Soup, Mexican Cornbread baked in Poblano Peppers, Fruit Cocktail
 I'll use some of the end piece of turkey to season the soup.  It's got the nice smoky flavor of ham and will season the beans nicely.  The Mexican cornbread idea I am lifting from Robin Miller's Quick Meals program several years back.  I like the mildness of Poblano peppers, it's a nice way to get an extra vegetable in the meal and have our favorite rich cornbread  in a controlled portion.

Spaghetti and Meat Balls, Wedge Salads, Toasted Challah with garlic butter
I have meatballs already formed and frozen for convenience.

Patty Melts, Pickle Spears, French Fries, Ice Cream Sodas
We usually buy a special burger when we go to the fair.  I thought this might be a good menu to make up for not going this year.  It's a disappointment to us all but that's just the way it goes, isn't it.  I'll just drown my sorrows in a chocolate soda...

Quiche, 24 hour Salad, Biscuits
A 'crossover' meal of summer and winter with the salad and biscuits.  The quiche is a favorite of mine, but I make a half recipe for the two of us.  I'll caramelize a few extra onions the night I cook the burgers to add to my pie.

No comments: